Connect with us

Published

on

Some schools will close and people are being told to stay at home as Storm Babet bears down on parts of the UK.

The Met Office has issued a rare red warning for “exceptional and persistent” rain in eastern Scotland, as well as amber and yellow warnings for wind and rain in other areas.

The red alert covers parts of the east of Scotland between the Dundee and Aberdeen areas from 6pm on Thursday until midday on Friday, “with some locations likely to see 200-250mm” of rainfall.

Check the weather forecast in your area

It marks the first time a red warning for rain has been issued in the UK since Storm Dennis in February 2020.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Storm Babet will be ‘unprecedented’

Babet, a complex area of low pressure that developed to the west of the Iberian Peninsula, will last until Saturday and is expected to cause flooding, power cuts and travel disruption.

Yellow severe weather warnings, meaning there is the threat of strong winds, extremely wet conditions and potential flooding, have been issued across the week until Saturday for a vast swathe of the UK, covering already-saturated parts of Scotland and northern and eastern England, all the way down the coast to Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.

The Irish forecasting agency Met Eireann has also issued yellow and amber weather warnings for parts of Northern Ireland for heavy rain into Thursday.

On Tuesday, the Met Office raised the level of its warning for eastern Scotland from yellow to a more severe rating of amber.

A yellow weather warning covers Northern Ireland today
Image:
A yellow weather warning covers Northern Ireland today. Pic: Met Office

A red warning for rain is among the warnings in place on Thursday
Image:
A red warning for rain is among the warnings in place on Thursday

As the rain moves northwards, it will stall across central and eastern parts of Scotland where the rain will become heavy and persistent from Thursday through to Saturday.

There is an amber severe weather warning for rain for this area, meaning exceptionally wet conditions are likely. Up to 150 to 200mm of rain could accumulate in some areas of higher ground.

Several warnings are in place for Friday
Image:
Several warnings are in place for Friday

Much of Scotland and the east of England is under a yellow warning on Saturday
Image:
Much of Scotland and the east of England is under a yellow warning on Saturday. Pic: Met Office

‘Please stay at home’

Earlier on Wednesday, the Scottish Government held a meeting of its Resilience Room (SGoRR), in an effort to mitigate the affects of Storm Babet in the coming days.

In a statement, Deputy First Minister Shona Robinson said: “The strong message is that if you are in the parts of Angus and South Aberdeenshire affected – please stay at home and do not travel.

“Other parts of Scotland are also at risk of flooding as rivers respond and drainage systems become overwhelmed. The risk is exacerbated by the fact that many catchments are already saturated following last week’s heavy rainfall and flooding.

“No one should take the risks for granted and I would urge everyone in the country to prepare where necessary, heed the travel warnings issued by Police Scotland and take extreme care around fast-flowing water.”

In early October, up to 180mm (8in) of rain was forecast which led to landslides, train cancellations and sporting events being postponed due to floods.

In Angus, an area north of Dundee and up to the Cairngorms, schools will close at lunchtime on Thursday and into Friday, as the local council works to “preserve life”.

Flood prevention measures sit against a wall in the main street in Aberfoyle in Perthshire. Aberfoyle was hit with flooding a couple of weeks ago as storm Babet will bring heavy rain to the UK this week, with extensive flooding expected in already-saturated parts of Scotland. The Met Office has upgraded a weather warning for rain in eastern Scotland to amber, as some areas could see more than a month's worth of rain in a few days. Picture date: Wednesday October 18, 2023.
Image:
Residents in Aberfoyle, Perthshire, prepare for Babet

Sand bags sit piled against a wall in the main street in Aberfoyle in Perthshire. Aberfoyle was hit with flooding a couple of weeks ago as storm Babet will bring heavy rain to the UK this week, with extensive flooding expected in already-saturated parts of Scotland. The Met Office has upgraded a weather warning for rain in eastern Scotland to amber, as some areas could see more than a month's worth of rain in a few days. Picture date: Wednesday October 18, 2023.
Image:
Residents in Aberfoyle, Perthshire, prepare for Babet

‘Danger to life’

Under the amber warning, the Met Office warns “extensive flooding to homes and businesses is possible, which could lead to collapsed or damaged buildings or structures” and “fast flowing or deep floodwater is likely, causing danger to life”.

“There is a chance that communities in flooded areas could be completely cut off, perhaps for several days,” it adds.

“Power and other essential services, such as gas, water or mobile phone service, may be lost.”

Scotland typically receives around 168mm of rainfall in October but the country will receive more than this amount in the span of a few days.

Parts of England can expect more than 100mm of rainfall during the week, with some isolated areas facing up to 150mm.

There are already mass train cancellations across Scotland, expected to last until Saturday, with services stopped from Aberdeen, Elgin, Edinburgh, Fife, Perth and beyond.

Read more from Sky News:
Teenager’s killer dies in prison
Captain Tom Foundation ‘to close down’

Ireland warned of ‘dangerous’ weather

Rain warnings for every county in the Republic of Ireland were in place overnight, having come into effect at various stages on Tuesday.

A Status Orange rain warning, meaning there is the possibility of dangerous or disruptive weather, is in place along Ireland’s southern coast for counties Cork, Kerry and Waterford.

That warning is due to the risk of flooding, dangerous road conditions and possible wave overtopping at high tide amid heavy rain and strong gusts.

The advisory is due to expire at 1pm, with a Status Yellow rain warning, meaning there is the potential for localised dangerous weather, in place for the rest of the country until between 6pm to 8pm.

Met Office deputy chief meteorologist Tony Wardle said: “Storm Babet will bring disruption for parts of the UK in the coming days, with heavy rain and strong winds likely for many.

“Heavy and persistent rain will fall onto already saturated ground bringing a risk of flooding. It is important to stay up to date with warnings from your local flood warning agency as well as the local authorities.

“As well as heavy rain, Storm Babet will bring some very strong winds and large waves near some eastern coasts too. Gusts around 70mph are possible in eastern and northern Scotland from Thursday. Met Office warnings will continue to be reviewed as the forecast develops.”

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

UK

Boy dies after ‘getting into difficulty’ in lake in southeast London

Published

on

By

Boy dies after 'getting into difficulty' in lake in southeast London

A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.

Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.

The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.

“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.

The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.

The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.

In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.

More from UK

google street view inside Beckenham Place park, Lewisham where a 16 y/o boy is missing after getting into difficulty in a lake
Image:
Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon

Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.

The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.

It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”

Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.

Continue Reading

Trending