Connect with us

Published

on

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — They all could have left. No one would have blamed them. Instead, they Volunteered.

On a gorgeous autumn day in Knoxville stands the Tennessee Trio who make up the heart of the suddenly vaunted Big Orange defense. They are leaning against a railing that overlooks the Vol Navy, fielding shouts of encouragement from the orange-clad, well-imbibed folks docked along the banks of the Tennessee River.

“Thank you, guys!” a woman bellows from a houseboat adorned with a giant inflatable Smokey hound that, wait, is it also holding a drink? “Thank you for finishing the job!”

“You’re welcome!” responds senior defensive lineman Tyler Baron, Nashville-raised, but a graduate of nearby Knoxville Catholic.

He will make his 38th appearance in a Tennessee uniform this weekend at Alabama. Standing to his right is the man who also lines up with him on that “Trench Mob” line, fellow senior Omari Thomas, a Memphis native poised to play in his 37th game for UT.

Off Baron’s left shoulder is linebacker Aaron Beasley, a fifth-year senior, preparing for his 38th contest. His first appearance came in this very game, at Alabama on Oct. 19. 2019, a whopping 1,463 days before this weekend’s 105th edition of the series known as the Third Saturday in October. He recorded his first career tackle in that first appearance. He has added 206 more since, with a total of 11 over his first four Bama games, including a crucial pair of strikes during last year’s SEC sea-changing 52-49 victory over the third-ranked Tide, a win that ended a 15-year losing streak to Alabama and was the pillar of 2022’s long-sought comeback season for a long-suffering historic program. That 11-2 group from last year is now referred to as the “Revi-Vols” and is looking for more at 5-1 and ranked No. 17 heading into a showdown with the Crimson Tide.

“It’s real humbling for me,” Beasley says of the gratitude he and his veteran teammates now receive on a daily basis, riverside and elsewhere. “We’ve been through a lot and to come out the way we have, it’s bittersweet almost. Because this is my last year, my last couple months here. So, to finish how we are about to finish, it feels good for sure. We’ve come a long way.”

A long way, as in an orange-clad Sisyphus pushing a boulder up Rocky Top.

This is the Class of COVID. All three arrived in Knoxville just before the coronavirus crashed into our lives. They spent an entire season playing games in front of either no one or reduced crowds, with the rest of their time spent quarantined in their apartments and meeting rooms. Then Jeremy Pruitt, the head coach who recruited them, was fired under the shadow of an investigation concerning how they were recruited in the first place. The same coach who led them to only three since-vacated victories, and that was only three seasons ago.

The transfer portal had also just been kicked into overdrive, opening an exit door that was taken by a seemingly endless number of teammates. They could have followed them and no one would have thought less of them for doing it. In fact, such a move would have seemed pretty smart considering their new coach, Air Raid maestro Josh Heupel, had long been criticized for placing too much stress on his defenses at UCF.

They could have found better NIL deals elsewhere among more stable college football grounds. They could have tried to get a jump on the NFL, which looms just over the horizon for all three.

They did none of the above. Because, despite what we all read during the infancy stages of this new college football universe, a place of transiency where loyalty gets obliterated by delusions of playing time and paycheck grandeur, there are still those who believe in building something.

Especially this trio.

“I just go back to when me and O were being recruited,” Baron said of the fall of 2019. “That was the biggest thing we were preaching, was just wanting to get Tennessee back to what everybody knew it to be. Back to what it should be and is.”

“When we came in, we wanted to be a change, we wanted to be something, we wanted to be a part of change, all of us,” Thomas said, nodding as he talks about himself, Baron, and the other 10 members of that class — seven on defense — who chose to stay in Knoxville. “We had so many opportunities where we could go join programs that were already solidified. But we wanted to be something. We wanted to be the face of the program. We wanted to be the face of the change. All three of us, I know we are happy and blessed to be a part of the change here.”

Change, as in winning only three games three years ago and then backing that up with records of 7-6, 11-2 and now 5-1. Change, as in winning that game against Alabama one year ago, a game in which these three were a combined 0-7, to create recruiting momentum that has yet to slow down. And, oh yeah, change where those critics of Heupel never expected to see it.

In 2022, Tennessee’s defense allowed nearly 24 points and 400 yards per game. This year it has slashed those numbers to 17 and 303, respectively. During the entirety of last season, Tennessee registered 27 sacks. Barely past the halfway point of 2023, the Vols have 24.

Those improvements have been crucial for a team whose quarterback, Joe Milton III, has struggled mightily to reconnect with the downfield passing game that was the Vols’ bread and butter in 2022. See: Only 20 points against Texas A&M, the first time in six years as a head coach at UCF and Tennessee that Heupel won a game when scoring fewer than 30 points. Prior to that he was 0-9.

“I think it is easy to look at our team and really the history of Tennessee football and become distracted by offense,” Heupel said. “Whether it be Peyton Manning or Hendon [Hooker] or even back in the day, all of the great wide receivers and running backs. But this is also the school of Eric Berry, Reggie White and Al Wilson. When we make the Vol Walk to Neyland Stadium we march right by the banners of those guys, and Doug Atkins. So, there is a lot of pride on that side of the ball. And leadership. There always has been, and that’s what our seniors provide now.”

It’s no coincidence that those legends of the past have started hanging around Knoxville a lot more over the past three seasons. They have been invited by Heupel and many have come back to be honored in front of 102,000 at Neyland, as Berry was last weekend. But they have also been returning of their own volition, eager to experience the rediscovered Big Orange confidence. The legends of the 1990s packed the stadium luxury boxes one year ago, eager to help cheer their alma mater to do what so many of them had done years ago, beat Alabama.

They also pay frequent visits to the Tennessee practice fields to visit today’s leaders, to thank them for what they have done, and to remind them that their responsibilities won’t end when they take their final snaps at Vols this winter.

“The guys we have now, the young guys that we have come in, they make it easy for us,” Beasley said of the influx of five-stars and Power 5 transfers who have flooded the locker room over the past two springs and falls, the newcomers he and fellow seniors are charged with coaching up on this new old-school Tennessee culture. “They’re very mature for their age, very detailed oriented, very talented …”

“They expect to win,” Thomas said.

“Yeah, they do,” Baron added. “And they expect to do it the right way.”

“Leave this place better than you found it,” Beasley continues as all three nod in unison. “That’s what Tennessee challenged us to do. That’s our challenge for those who come here next.”

Continue Reading

Sports

‘Reason he’s here’: Crochet delivers for Red Sox

Published

on

By

'Reason he's here': Crochet delivers for Red Sox

BALTIMORE — Garrett Crochet gave the Boston Red Sox an immediate return on their investment.

In his first start since agreeing to a $170 million, six-year contract, the left-hander pitched a career-best eight innings as the Red Sox shut out the Baltimore Orioles 3-0 on Wednesday night. Crochet also threw 102 pitches, one shy of his career high.

“My first start in college I went eight, and I haven’t sniffed it since,” Crochet said.

Crochet (1-0) gave up four hits and a walk while striking out eight in his first victory since the offseason trade that sent him from the Chicago White Sox to Boston.

“That’s the reason he’s here,” manager Alex Cora said after the game. “That’s the reason we committed to him.”

Crochet went 6-12 with a 3.58 ERA last season, a bright spot on a Chicago team that lost 121 games. He threw 146 innings, which was double his previous career total since his debut in 2020.

Then Crochet was dealt to the Red Sox, and they made their long-term commitment to the 25-year-old earlier this week.

“Going back to when the trade went through, we knew Boston was a place where we would love to be long term,” Crochet said. “Credit to the front office for staying diligent, and my agency as well.”

Now the question is less about where he’ll pitch and more about how well. He’s off to a nice start in that regard.

“I can’t think of the last time I played baseball for pride. In college, you’re playing to get drafted, and once you’re in the big leagues, you’re playing to stay in the big leagues,” Crochet said. “So to have this security and feel like I’m playing to truly just win ballgames, it takes a lot of the riff-raff out of it.”

The news all around was good for Boston on Wednesday.

It reached a $60 million, eight-year deal with young infielder Kristian Campbell, and he went out and doubled twice against the Orioles.

And Rafael Devers ended a 21-at-bat hitless streak to start the season with an RBI double in the fifth inning. He finished with two hits and no strikeouts.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Continue Reading

Sports

Ohtani’s walk-off pushes Dodgers to historic 8-0

Published

on

By

Ohtani's walk-off pushes Dodgers to historic 8-0

LOS ANGELES — Aside from his ability to pitch and hit and stretch the boundaries of imagination, Shohei Ohtani has displayed another singular trait in his time in the major leagues: an ability to meet the moment. Or, perhaps, for the moment to meet him.

And so on Wednesday night, with his Los Angeles Dodgers looking to stay unbeaten, the score tied in the bottom of the ninth, and more than 50,000 fans standing and clenching the Ohtani bobbleheads they lined up hours in advance for, Ohtani approached the batter’s box — and his teammates expected greatness.

“He’s going to end this right here,” Dodgers third baseman Max Muncy said he thought to himself.

“We knew,” starting pitcher Blake Snell said. “It’s just what he does.”

Validation came instantly. Ohtani stayed back on a first-pitch changeup from Raisel Iglesias near the outside corner and shot it toward straightaway center field, 399 feet away, for a walk-off home run, sending the Dodgers to a 6-5, come-from-behind victory over the reeling Atlanta Braves.

“I don’t think anybody didn’t expect him to hit a walk-off home run there,” Dodgers utility man Tommy Edman said. “It’s just a question of where he’d hit it.”

The Dodgers are now 8-0, topping the 1933 New York Yankees of Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth for the longest winning streak to begin a season for a reigning champion. The Braves, meanwhile, are 0-7, the type of record no team has ever recovered from to make the playoffs. And Ohtani, with three home runs and a 1.126 OPS this season, just keeps meeting moments.

“He’s pretty good, huh?” Dodgers outfielder Teoscar Hernandez said. “It’s Shohei. He’s going to do that. He’s going to do things better than that.”

On Aug. 23 last year, Ohtani reached the 40/40 club with a walk-off grand slam. Five days later, the Dodgers staged a second giveaway of his bobblehead — one that saw his now-famous dog, Decoy, handle the ceremonial first pitch — and Ohtani led off with a home run. On Sept. 19, Ohtani clinched his first postseason berth and ascended into the unprecedented 50/50 club with one of the greatest single-game performances in baseball history — six hits, three homers, two steals and 10 RBIs. Barely two weeks later, he homered in his first playoff game.

When Ohtani came up on Wednesday, he had what he described as a simple approach.

“I was looking for a really good pitch to hit,” Ohtani said through an interpreter. “If I didn’t get a good pitch to hit, I was willing to walk.”

Of course, though, he got a good pitch.

And, of course, he sent it out.

“You just feel that he’s going to do something special,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “And I just like the way he’s not pressing. He’s in the strike zone, and when he does that, there’s just no one better.”

The Dodgers began their much-anticipated season with a couple of breezy wins over the Chicago Cubs from Japan, even though Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman did not play in them. They returned home, brought iconic rapper Ice Cube out to present the World Series trophy on one afternoon, received their rings on another and swept a three-game series against the Detroit Tigers. Then came the Braves, and the Dodgers swept them, too — even though Freeman, nursing an ankle injury caused from slipping in the shower, didn’t participate.

The Dodgers already have two walk-offs and six comeback wins this season.

Wednesday’s effort left Roberts “a little dumbfounded.”

A nightmarish start defensively, highlighted by two errant throws from Muncy, spoiled Snell’s start and put them behind 5-0 after the first inning and a half. But the Dodgers kept inching closer. They trailed by just two in the eighth and put runners on second and third with two out. Muncy came to bat with his batting average at just .083. He had used the ballyhooed “Torpedo” bat for his first three plate appearances, didn’t like how it altered his swing plane, grabbed his usual bat for a showdown against Iglesias and laced a game-tying double into the right-center-field gap.

An inning later, Ohtani ended it.

“Overall, not just tonight, there is a really good vibe within the team,” Ohtani said after recording his fourth career walk-off hit. “I just think that’s allowing us to come back in these games to win.”

The Dodgers’ 8-0 start has allowed them to stay just ahead of the 7-0 San Diego Padres and the 5-1 San Francisco Giants in the National League West. Tack on the Arizona Diamondbacks (4-2) and the Colorado Rockies (1-4), and this marks the first time in the divisional era that an entire division has combined for at least 25 wins and no more than seven losses, according to ESPN Research. The Dodgers’ and Padres’ starts mark just the fifth season in major league history with multiple teams starting 7-0 or better, and the first time since 2003.

The Dodgers famously overcame a 2-1 series deficit to vanquish the Padres in the NL Division Series last year, then rode that fight to their first full-season championship since 1988.

That fight hasn’t let up.

“It feels like this clubhouse is carrying a little bit of the attitude we had last year that we’re never out of a game and we’re resilient, and we’ve been carrying it into this season,” Muncy said. “It’s been fun to watch. The guys don’t give up. Bad things have happened, and no one’s really been down or out on themselves. Everyone’s just, ‘All right, here we go, next inning, let’s get after it.’ The whole team, top to bottom, has been doing that. It’s been making it really, really fun to play.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Death of Gardner’s son pinned to carbon monoxide

Published

on

By

Death of Gardner's son pinned to carbon monoxide

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica — Carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of death of the teenage son of former New York Yankees outfielder Brett Gardner, authorities in Costa Rica said Wednesday night.

Randall Zúñiga, director of the Judicial Investigation Agency, said 14-year-old Miller Gardner was tested for carboxyhemoglobin, a compound generated when carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin in the blood.

When carboxyhemoglobin saturation exceeds 50%, it is considered lethal. In Gardner’s case, the test showed a saturation of 64%.

“It’s important to note that adjacent to this room is a dedicated machine room, where it’s believed there may be some type of contamination toward these rooms,” Zúñiga said.

The head of the Costa Rican judicial police added that, during the autopsy, a “layer” was detected on the boy’s organs, which forms when there is a high presence of the poisonous gas.

Gardner died March 21 while staying with his family at a hotel on the Manuel Antonio beach in Costa Rica’s Central Pacific.

Asphyxiation was initially thought to have caused his death. After an autopsy was performed by the Forensic Pathology Section, that theory was ruled out.

Another line of investigation centered around whether the family had suffered food poisoning. Family members had reported feeling ill after dining at a nearby restaurant on the night of March 20 and received treatment from the hotel doctor.

Brett Gardner, 41, was drafted by the Yankees in 2005 and spent his entire major league career with the organization. The speedy outfielder batted .256 with 139 homers, 578 RBIs, 274 steals and 73 triples in 14 seasons from 2008 to 2021.

Continue Reading

Trending