Connect with us

Published

on

A woman has died in a flat in Derbyshire following floods caused by Storm Babet – as people in parts of Nottinghamshire are urged to evacuate their homes.

The victim, in her 80s, was discovered at around 10.35am on Saturday in Chesterfield by emergency services.

A police spokesman said: “Investigations are continuing into the cause and circumstances surrounding her death, but it is believed it is related to the flooding seen in the Chesterfield area.”

Three other people have died since the storm hit the UK on Wednesday while a search continues in Aberdeenshire after a report of a man trapped in a vehicle in floodwater.

The Environment Agency (EA) warned high water levels caused by flooding from major rivers could continue until Tuesday, while train services are disrupted across parts of Scotland, Yorkshire and East Anglia, with some routes still flooded.

Submerged cars in South Yorkshire
Image:
Submerged cars in South Yorkshire

Two severe flood warnings – meaning there is a significant risk to life – have been issued for the River Idle in Nottinghamshire at West Retford and Ordsal and at Retford, Eaton and Gamston.

The local council has urged people in those areas to evacuate their homes after severe flood warnings were issued.

Despite the worst of the storm now having passed, rivers in North Yorkshire, the Midlands and the South West could also continue to overflow, the EA said.

Read more:
Why we’re likely to see more storms like Babet

Forest floor lifted up by storm – dog walker catches on video

“Ongoing flooding is probable on some larger rivers including the Severn, Ouse and Trent through to Tuesday,” EA flood duty manager Katharine Smith said.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Aerials show extent of Scotland floods

Derby City Council said it is seeing record-breaking water levels in the River Derwent and warned cleaning up after the floods could take several days.

Three severe flood warnings had been in place around the River Derwent in Derbyshire on Saturday but were downgraded on Sunday morning.

There were two severe flood warnings, 182 flood warnings and 151 flood alerts in place across England as of noon on Sunday.

The Energy Network Association (ENA) said a “small handful” of homes would still be without power on Sunday after around 100,000 customers were initially affected by power cuts.

In Scotland, where there was a red weather warning in the east of the country on Saturday, a large number of homes that lost power have since been reconnected.

The last remaining Met Office weather warning, for rain, expired at midnight.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Rugby pitch submerged under floodwater

In the North Sea, off the coast of Aberdeen, a company operating a drilling platform said it had removed non-essential personnel after four of the platform’s eight anchors became detached in severe weather caused by Storm Babet.

Stena Drilling Limited said two coastguard helicopters and a search and rescue helicopter were “mobilised to transfer 45 non-essential personnel from the drilling unit to neighbouring platforms and to Sumburgh on the Shetland Islands”.

The Stena Spey platform remains secure and stable, the company added.

A car on a bridge washed away near Dundee
Image:
A car on a bridge washed away near Dundee

In London, King’s Cross railway station was closed on Saturday afternoon to “manage passenger numbers”.

Managers said it was because Storm Babet had brought “severe disruption to the rail network”.

A retired man with Parkinson’s Disease said there was a “high chance of a crush” during overcrowding at the central London terminal.

John Hinson, 61, from North Ferriby in East Yorkshire, said people were “crashing against the barrier” as they tried to reach their trains.

“It was just so dangerous,” he said.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

UK

Boy dies after ‘getting into difficulty’ in lake in southeast London

Published

on

By

Boy dies after 'getting into difficulty' in lake in southeast London

A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.

Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.

The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.

“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.

The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.

The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.

In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.

More from UK

google street view inside Beckenham Place park, Lewisham where a 16 y/o boy is missing after getting into difficulty in a lake
Image:
Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon

Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.

The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.

It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”

Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.

Continue Reading

Trending