A senior civil servant during the pandemic admitted setting WhatsApp messages to “disappear” as calls for a COVID inquiry grew – but said he can’t remember why.
Martin Reynolds, who was Boris Johnson’s principal private secretary, turned on a “disappearing message function” on a group chat titled “PM Updates” on 15 April 2021, the COVID inquiry has been told.
Asked by barrister Hugo Keith KC why he did this, he said he can “guess” and “speculate” but he “cannot recall exactly why I did so”.
He added: “It could, for example, have been because I was worried of someone screenshotting or using some of the exchanges and leaking them.”
Mr Reynold’s evidence session also heard:
Boris Johnson held a meeting with Russian media mogul Lord Lebedev during the height of the pandemic;
The former prime minister “blew hot and cold” on vital issues;
The former chief adviser to Downing Street, Dominic Cummings, was the “most empowered chief of staff ever seen”;
Mr Johnson was described as “mad” for thinking his WhatsApp messages would not be made public;
The UK’s top civil servant Simon Case described being “at the end of my tether” at Mr Johnson “changing strategic direction” before the nation went into lockdown, while Mr Cummings agreed saying he was getting “despairing” messages from people in meetings with him;
At meetings women were “talked over” and there was “significant misogyny” on display;
Mr Reynolds apologised “unreservedly” for sending a BYOB invite during the first lockdown
Downing Street said the use of disappearing WhatsApp messages “is permitted as civil servants and ministerial private offices are required to record and log official decisions for the official record”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:48
‘Disappearing’ WhatsApp messages
The extent and nature of decision-making through the messaging app has become a key plank of Lady Hallet’s probe.
There has been criticism that major decision-making during the pandemic may have been made over WhatsApp and not through the normal processes, raising questions about accountability in cases where messages can’t be accessed by the inquiry.
Advertisement
Johnson ‘hadn’t realised WhatsApps would become public’
Elsewhere in the session, Mr Reynolds suggested Mr Johnson may not have realised his messages would eventually become public.
As part of the evidence on Monday, an exchange was shared from December 2021 in which the head of the civil service, Simon Case, said: “PM is mad if he doesn’t think his WhatsApps will become public via Covid inquiry – but he was clearly not in the mood for that discussion tonight! We’ll have that battle in the new year.”
Mr Reynolds responded: “Agreed – thanks for your help.”
Pressed on the meaning behind “battle”, Mr Reynolds told the inquiry he could not remember.
But he added: “I imagine that the prime minster – I’m afraid I can only speculate – but I imagine he hadn’t realised that all of his WhatApps would become public via the Covid inquiry.”
Image: Messages shown to inquiry showing Boris Johnson didn’t think his WhatsApps would become public
Cummings ‘most empowered chief of staff ever seen’
A number of disparaging messages about Mr Johnson were read out at the inquiry, including Mr Case saying the then prime minister “cannot lead” and was making things impossible.
Mr Reynolds was also questioned about the power dynamics in Number 10 in January and February 2020, just before the pandemic broke out.
He said there had been an “unusual dynamic” under Mr Cummings – Mr Johnson’s ally turned adversary – and described him as the“most empowered chief of staff Downing Street had ever seen”.
Image: Dominic Cummings and Boris Johnson
It was also revealed the former prime minister had a phone call with and met Russian media mogul Lord Lebedev, the owner of the London Evening Standard and a shareholder in The Independent, on 18 and 19 March 2020.
Mr Reynolds said he was not present and did not know what the meeting was about. He said he “could not recall” if he asked Mr Johnson why he was spending his time on that rather than the “urgent” matter of coronavirus, which was rapidly spreading through Europe.
He told the inquiry: “Ultimately it is for the prime minister to decide his use of time and if he decided that was important, it’s for him to decide.
“I may have said ‘are you sure you want to do this’ or indeed others may have done the same.”
On Mr Johnson’s leadership style, Mr Reynolds admitted he “did blow hot and cold on some issues”.
It was put to him that when the former prime minister returned after he was hospitalised with COVID, messages showed he “oscillated in terms of what should be done, he wondered whether he should be regarded as the ‘mayor in the Jaws film’ – shutting the beaches”.
Mr Reyonlds added: “Then, within hours or days, he would take a contrary position.”
Asked if it was something he noticed, as others have done, Mr Reynolds responded: “I think it’s fair to say the prime minister did, as it were, blow hot and cold on some issues.”
Asked if that included the “most vital issues which his government faced”, Mr Reynolds said: “Yes, but also the most difficult choices the country was facing – both of which had very difficult consequences.”
Mr Reynolds was infamously nicknamed “Party Marty” after writing a notorious “bring your own booze” email to Downing Street staff during the first lockdown.
He is the first of several senior Downing Street officials giving evidence to the COVID inquiry this week, followed by former director of communications Lee Cain this afternoon and Mr Cummings tomorrow.
Nearly 400,000 creditors of the bankrupt cryptocurrency exchange FTX risk missing out on $2.5 billion in repayments after failing to begin the mandatory Know Your Customer (KYC) verification process.
Roughly 392,000 FTX creditors have failed to complete or at least take the first steps of the mandatory Know Your Customer verification, according to an April 2 court filing in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
FTX users originally had until March 3 to begin the verification process to collect their claims.
“If a holder of a claim listed on Schedule 1 attached thereto did not commence the KYC submission process with respect to such claim on or prior to March 3, 2025, at 4:00 pm (ET) (the “KYC Commencing Deadline”), 2 such claim shall be disallowed and expunged in its entirety,” the filing states.
The KYC deadline has been extended to June 1, 2025, giving users another chance to verify their identity and claim eligibility. Those who fail to meet the new deadline may have their claims permanently disqualified.
According to the court documents, claims under $50,000 could account for roughly $655 million in disallowed repayments, while claims over $50,000 could amount to $1.9 billion — bringing the total at-risk funds to more than $2.5 billion.
The next round of FTX creditor repayments is set for May 30, 2025, with over $11 billion expected to be repaid to creditors with claims of over $50,000.
Under FTX’s recovery plan, 98% of creditors are expected to receive at least 118% of their original claim value in cash.
Many FTX users have reported problems with the KYC process.
However, users who were unable to submit their KYC documentation can resubmit their application and restart the verification process, according to an April 5 X post from Sunil, FTX creditor and Customer Ad-Hoc Committee member.
Impacted users should email FTX support (support@ftx.com) to receive a ticket number, then log in to the support portal, create an account, and re-upload the necessary KYC documents.
The crypto industry is still recovering from the collapse of FTX and more than 130 subsidiaries launched a series of insolvencies that led to the industry’s longest-ever crypto winter, which saw Bitcoin’s (BTC) price bottom out at around $16,000.
While not a “market-moving catalyst” in itself, the beginning of the FTX repayments is a positive sign for the maturation of the crypto industry, which may see a “significant portion” reinvested into cryptocurrencies, Alvin Kan, chief operating officer at Bitget Wallet, told Cointelegraph.
Sir Keir Starmer has said his government stands ready to use industrial policy to “shelter British business from the storm” after Donald Trump’s new 10% tariff kicked in.
But a global trade war will hurt the UK’s open economy.
The prime minister said “these new times demand a new mentality”, after the 10% tax on British imports into America came into force on Saturday. A 25% US levy on all foreign car imports was introduced on Thursday.
It comes as Jaguar Land Rover announced it would “pause” shipments to the US for a month, as firms grapple with the new taxes.
On Saturday, the car manufacturer said it was working to “address the new trading terms” and was looking to “develop our mid to longer-term plans”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:53
Jobs fears as Jaguar halts shipments
Referring to the tariffs, Sir Keir said “the immediate priority is to keep calm and fight for the best deal”.
Writing in The Sunday Telegraph, he said that in the coming days “we will turbocharge plans that will improve our domestic competitiveness”, adding: “We stand ready to use industrial policy to help shelter British business from the storm.”
It is believed a number of announcements could be made soon as ministers look to encourage growth.
NI contribution rate for employers goes up
From Sunday, the rate of employer NICs (national insurance contributions) increased from 13.8% to 15%.
At the same time, firms will also pay more because the government lowered the salary threshold at which companies start paying NICs from £9,100 to £5,000.
Sir Keir said: “This week, the government will do everything necessary to protect Britain’s national interest. Because when global economic sands are shifting, our laser focus on delivering for Britain will not. And these new times demand a new mentality.”
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:51
Trump defiant despite markets
UK spared highest tariff rates
Some of the highest rates have been applied to “worst offender” countries including some in Southeast Asia. Imports from Cambodia will be subject to a 49% tariff, while those from Vietnam will face a 46% rate. Chinese goods will be hit with a 34% tariff.
Imports from France will have a 20% tariff, the rate which has been set for European Union nations. These will come into effect on 9 April.
Sir Keir has been speaking to foreign leaders on the phone over the weekend, including French President Emmanuel Macron, Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, to discuss the tariff changes.
A Downing Street spokesperson said of the conversation between Sir Keir and Mr Macron: “They agreed that a trade war was in nobody’s interests but nothing should be off the table and that it was important to keep business updated on developments.
“The prime minister and president also shared their concerns about the global economic and security impact, particularly in Southeast Asia.”
Spreaker
This content is provided by Spreaker, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Spreaker cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Spreaker cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Spreaker cookies for this session only.
Crypto-friendly billionaire investor Bill Ackman is considering the possibility that US President Donald Trump may pause the implementation of his controversial proposed tariffs on April 7.
“One would have to imagine that President Donald Trump’s phone has been ringing off the hook. The practical reality is that there is insufficient time for him to make deals before the tariffs are scheduled to take effect,” Ackman, founder of Pershing Square Capital Management, said in an April 5 X post.
Trump may postpone tariffs to make more deals, says Ackman
“I would, therefore, not be surprised to wake up Monday with an announcement from the President that he was postponing the implementation of the tariffs to give him time to make deals,” Ackman added.
On April 2, Trump signed an executive order establishing a 10% baseline tariff on all imports from all countries, which took effect on April 5. Harsher reciprocal tariffs on trading partners with which the US has the largest trade deficits are scheduled to kick in on April 9.
Ackman — who famously said “crypto is here to stay” after the FTX collapse in November 2022 — said Trump captured the attention of the world and US trading partners, backing the tariffs as necessary after what he called an “unfair tariff regime” that hurt US workers and economy “over many decades.”
Following Trump’s announcement on April 2, the US stock market shed more value during the April 4 trading session than the entire crypto market is currently worth. The fact that crypto held up better than the US stock market caught the attention of both crypto industry supporters and skeptics.
Prominent crypto voices such as BitMEX co-founder Arthur Hayes and Gemini co-founder Cameron Winklevoss also recently showed their support for Trump’s tariffs.
Ackman said a pause would be a logical move by Trump — not just to allow time for closing potential deals but also to give companies of all sizes “time to prepare for changes.” He added:
“The risk of not doing so is that the massive increase in uncertainty drives the economy into a recession, potentially a severe one.”
Ackman said April 7 will be “one of the more interesting days” in US economic history.