Connect with us

Published

on

Friends stars Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and David Schwimmer have paid tribute to Matthew Perry.

Aniston, who played Rachel Green in the show, wrote in an Instagram post: “Oh boy this one has cut deep… Having to say goodbye to our Matty has been an insane wave of emotions that I’ve never experienced before.

“Being able to really SIT in this grief allows you to feel the moments of joy and gratitude for having loved someone that deep. And we loved him deeply. He was such a part of our DNA. We were always the six of us.”

Perry, 54, died last month after an apparent drowning at his Los Angeles home. His death is being investigated by the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s Office after a post-mortem examination with toxicology tests.

He played the quick-witted Chandler Bing in the beloved sitcom which ran between 1994 and 2004.

Aniston said her “chosen family” had “forever changed the course of who we were and what our path was going to be”.

She said she had been poring over their text exchanges in the days since Perry’s death, “laughing and crying then laughing again”.

More from Ents & Arts

Aniston posted a picture of a text exchange with Perry that she said “says it all”, where he had told her: “Making you laugh just made my day.”

She added: “Matty, I love you so much and I know you are now completely at peace and out of any pain. I talk to you every day… sometimes I can almost hear you saying ‘could you BE any crazier?’ Rest little brother. You always made my day.”

Friends

Aniston also posted a picture of a text exchange with Perry, where he said: “Making you laugh just made my day.”

All of the main Friends cast have now shared personal tributes to Perry.

Lisa Kudrow, who played Phoebe Buffay, thanked him for a multitude of things in an emotional Instagram post.

“Thank you for making me laugh so hard at something you said, that my muscles ached, and tears poured down my face EVERY DAY,” she said.

“Thank you for your open heart in a six way relationship that required compromise. And a lot of ‘talking.’

“Thank you for showing up at work when you weren’t well and then, being completely brilliant.

“Thank you for the best 10 years a person gets to have.”

Finally, she added: “Thank you for the time I got to have with you, Matthew.”

Meanwhile, Schwimmer, who played Ross Geller in the sitcom, said: “Matty, thank you for 10 incredible years of laughter and creativity.

“I will never forget your impeccable comic timing and delivery. You could take a straight line of dialogue and bend it to your will, resulting in something so entirely original and unexpectedly funny it still astonishes.

“And you had heart. Which you were generous with, and shared with us, so we could create a family out of six strangers.

“This photo is from one of my favourite moments with you. Now it makes me smile and grieve at the same time.

Matthew Perry, Matt LeBlanc, David Schwimmer in Friends. Pic: Everett/Shutterstock
Image:
Matthew Perry, Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmer in Friends. Pic: Everett/Shutterstock

“I imagine you up there, somewhere, in the same white suit, hands in your pockets, looking around – ‘could there BE any more clouds?'”

Matt LeBlanc, who played Chandler’s best friend Joey Tribbiani in the show, said in an Instagram post on Tuesday that “the times we had together are honestly among the favourite times of my life”.

Read more:
What Perry’s memoir revealed

Obituary: The one who made everyone laugh
Perry’s life in pictures

LeBlanc wrote: “I am so grateful for every moment I had with you Matty and I miss you every day.

“It is with a heavy heart I say goodbye.

“It was an honour to share the stage with you and to call you my friend. I will always smile when I think of you and I’ll never forget you. Never.

“Spread your wings and fly brother you’re finally free. Much love.

“And I guess you’re keeping the 20 bucks you owe me.”

(L-R) Matthew Perry, Matt LeBlanc, Courteney Cox in Friends. Pic: NBC/Everett/Shutterstock
Image:
(L-R) Matthew Perry, Matt LeBlanc, Courteney Cox in Friends. Pic: NBC/Everett/Shutterstock

Courteney Cox, who played Chandler’s wife Monica Geller on Friends, said on Tuesday: “I am so grateful for every moment I had with you Matty and I miss you every day”.

On Instagram, she shared what she described as one of her favourite moments.

She wrote: “To give a little backstory, Chandler and Monica were supposed to have a one night fling in London. But because of the audience’s reaction, it became the beginning of their love story.

Click to subscribe to the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts

“In this scene, before we started rolling, he whispered a funny line for me to say. He often did things like that. He was funny and he was kind.”

Tributes poured in following Perry’s death, including messages from Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau – who attended the same school as the actor – and Sarah, Duchess of York, who had a cameo appearance in Friends.

Undated handout file photo issued by HBO Max of the Friends reunion special (left to right) Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer. Friends??? star Matthew Perry has been found dead at his Los Angeles home, according to reports in the US. Issue date: Sunday October 29, 2023.
Image:
The six stars at the 2021 Friends reunion special

In a joint statement released after his death on 28 October, his Friends co-stars – LeBlanc, Cox, Aniston, Schwimmer, and Kudrow – said: “We are all so utterly devastated by the loss of Matthew. We were more than just cast mates. We are a family.

Cast of Friends
Image:
The cast of Friends

“There is so much to say, but right now we’re going to take a moment to grieve and process this unfathomable loss.”

They were also among 20 mourners at Perry’s funeral in the Hollywood Hills earlier this month.

The cast of the American TV sitcom "Friends" (L to R) Courteney Cox,  Matt Le Blanc, Matthew Perry, David Schwimmer and Jennifer Aniston pose for pictures at Channel 4 Television centre March 25. The cast are in Britain to shoot the final episode of their current series.

Perry was open about his battle with substance abuse and addiction, and set up a sober living facility for men with similar issues.

A foundation has now been set up to help others struggling with the disease.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jessie J cancels tour dates ahead of second breast cancer surgery

Published

on

By

Jessie J cancels tour dates ahead of second breast cancer surgery

Jessie J has been forced to rearrange or cancel all upcoming tour dates as she will be having a second operation as part of her treatment for breast cancer.

The 37-year-old announced in June that she had been diagnosed with early breast cancer. She had her first operation later in the same month.

The singer, whose real name is Jessica Cornish, was due to tour the UK and Europe in October, before gigs in the US in November.

In a video posted on Instagram, she’s now told fans: “Unfortunately, I have to have a second surgery, nothing too serious, but it has to be done before the end of the year and unfortunately, that falls right in the middle of a tour that I had booked.”

The UK and Europe dates have been postponed until April next year while the US tour has been cancelled.

“So that is what it is, and I’m sorry,” the performer said. “I feel frustrated and sad, but also it is what it is, and I need to be better.

“I need to be healed, and I know this is the right decision to make. So I’m postponing the tour till next year.”

The star has asked fans to “please bear with us for the US tour”, adding that it’s “something that I want to do, but when the time is right”.

“You guys know how much I want to do all of it, but I just can’t,” she said. “And I have to be realistic.”

Read more:
Top Boy actor in court
Banksy artwork put in protective storage

Jessie J has battled numerous health issues, including being diagnosed with a heart condition when she was eight years old and suffering a minor stroke aged 18.

The singer-songwriter has had three number one songs in the UK singles chart, with Price Tag and Domino – both released in 2011 – and 2014’s Bang Bang, a collaboration with Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj.

She won the Critics’ Choice prize at the 2011 BRITs and bagged four Mobo awards in the same year.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘I’m shocked at how fragile I am still’: Cumberbatch and Colman on protecting their sanity from perils of social media

Published

on

By

'I'm shocked at how fragile I am still': Cumberbatch and Colman on protecting their sanity from perils of social media

Actor Benedict Cumberbatch says he’s shocked at how “fragile” he still is – despite years in the spotlight and success in the industry.

It might seem like the Doctor Strange star and The Crown actress Olivia Colman have it all when it comes to money and success – but they are also human like the rest of us.

The pair lead the cast of new satirical black comedy The Roses, which sees picture-perfect couple Ivy and Theo Rose – a rising star chef and ambitious architect – raise their two children in California, while chasing their own dreams.

‘I am shocked at how fragile I am’

But behind its dark humour and comic language, the film also looks at the realities of power imbalance, insecurity and wounded pride – in even the strongest of relationships.

And 49-year-old Cumberbatch – whose character faces a major setback in his career – tells Sky News that in real life the glare of social media only intensifies those type of situations.

“I am shocked at how fragile I am still.

More on Benedict Cumberbatch

“I don’t go anywhere near it [social media] because of that.

“It’s like walking into a place where people want to marry you or kill you. Those extremes.

“I think we will get to a stage, a corporate culture that’s now manifested around it where people are obliged to do that in order to sell their lives, and therefore their brand and what they do for a living.”

Co-star Colman – who’s long-shunned the online world – agrees.

Cumberbatch and Colman in The Roses. Pic: Jaap Buitendijk/ Searchlight Pictures
Image:
Cumberbatch and Colman in The Roses. Pic: Jaap Buitendijk/ Searchlight Pictures

Read more from Sky News:
Taylor Swift announces engagement to Travis Kelce – and reveals huge ring
Bridgerton creator on ‘bizarre’ criticism – Watch

“I’m afraid I am very thin-skinned.

“I don’t look at any of it. My husband will look at a review and if it’s nice he’ll show me – but if it’s anything mean he knows to just go ‘don’t look – don’t look.’

“You just have to learn to be thicker-skinned.

“But actually, I think we need people who are sensitive and kind.”

‘Don’t do it… delete it all’

Colman – now 51, and whose leading role in The Favourite bagged her an Academy Award in 2019 – says no amount of experience and success can shield her from criticism.

“My advice to a young’un – sort of dipping their toe into the world of social media for the first time is absolutely don’t do it.

“Delete it all. If you want a happy life, don’t have any of it. I’ve never had it.”

The movie – directed by Meet The Parents’ Jay Roach with The Favourite screenwriter Tony McNamara – also calls into question the notion of success – asking, is it really possible to have it all?

Or is sacrifice inevitable when it comes to spinning the plates of a high-flying career, marriage and parenthood?

Cumberbatch admits “you can’t do it all without there being a cost”.

“You just have to weigh up what those balances are,” he adds.

Colman says “there are I suppose little sacrifices along the way” – from both sides of a relationship.

The comedy drama offers a fresh take on Warren Adler’s novel The War Of The Roses – and the 1989 hit film adaptation- starring Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.

Colman and Cumberbatch – both producers on the film – insist they weren’t daunted by that though.

“We wanted to find a project to do together, and we have utter respect for the iconic status of the film and book,” explains Cumberbatch.

“Hopefully this will have its own place in the culture – it’s very different, it’s not a remake – it’s a reimagined jumping-on point.”

“But beyond that, it’s very different,” adds Colman.

Former Doctor Who Ncuti Gatwa and Barbie’s Kate McKinnon also form the cast.

The Roses is out in UK cinemas now.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Top Boy and Eddington actor Micheal Ward granted bail as he appears in court on rape charges

Published

on

By

Top Boy and Eddington actor Micheal Ward granted bail as he appears in court on rape charges

BAFTA-winning actor Micheal Ward has been granted bail after appearing in court charged with two counts of rape.

The 27-year-old, who appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court this morning, is also accused of two counts of assault by penetration, and one count of sexual assault.

The offences relate to one woman and are reported to have taken place in January 2023.

Ward, who starred in the popular British series Top Boy and was awarded BAFTA‘s rising star honour in 2020, spoke to confirm his name, address and date of birth during a short court hearing.

He did not enter any pleas and was granted conditional bail until a further hearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on 25 September.

In a statement issued after the charges were announced last month, Ward denied them “entirely” and said he had co-operated with police throughout their investigation.

The actor’s film credits include Blue Story, The Old Guard and Empire of Light, as well as the current Hollywood Western Eddington.

He was also twice nominated for BAFTA’s best supporting actor prize.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the latest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Continue Reading

Trending