Connect with us

Published

on

Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose, actor Jamie Foxx and New York City mayor Eric Adams have been accused of sexual assault as a law which allows historical lawsuits is set to expire.

A former Penthouse magazine model sued Rose, accusing him of sexually assaulting her in a New York City hotel room in 1989.

Sheila Kennedy, 61, filed the lawsuit in the State Supreme Court in Manhattan under New York’s Adult Survivors Act, which lets victims sue over attacks that happened decades ago. The law expires on Friday.

Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose
Image:
Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose

More than 2,500 lawsuits have been filed so far under the act.

Many of the lawsuits have targeted individuals, employers or institutions, accusing them of not doing enough to stop abuse.

But the vast majority have been filed against the state, New York City and local counties and involve allegations of abuse at state prisons and local jails.

Ms Kennedy alleged Rose violently attacked her 34 years ago, which resulted in a diagnosis of “anxiety and depression”.

She said Rose used his “fame, status, and power” as a music star to “gain access to manipulate, control, and violently sexually assault” her, the lawsuit claims.

Attorney Alan S Gutman said in a statement on behalf of Rose: “Simply put, this incident never happened. Notably, these fictional claims were filed the day before the New York state filing deadline expires.

“Though he doesn’t deny the possibility of a fan photo taken in passing, Mr Rose has no recollection of ever meeting or speaking to the plaintiff, and has never heard about these fictional allegations prior to today. Mr Rose is confident this case will be resolved in his favour.”

Explained:
Why have so many celebrities been accused all at once?

Click to subscribe to Backstage wherever you get your podcasts

New York City mayor Eric Adams
Image:
New York City mayor Eric Adams

New York City mayor accused of 1993 assault

Mayor Eric Adams has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman 30 years ago.

Adams, a Democrat, was a New York City police officer who rose to the rank of captain before entering politics. He served as a state senator and Brooklyn borough president before becoming mayor.

Details of the alleged assault in New York have not been released.

The legal action, filed at the state Supreme Court in Manhattan, seeks a trial and $5m (£4m) in relief.

A City Hall spokesman said in a statement: “The mayor does not know who this person is. If they ever met, he doesn’t recall it. But he would never do anything to physically harm another person and vigorously denies any such claim.”

Hollywood star accused of 2015 assault

Jamie Foxx was also sued under the act on Wednesday by a woman who accused the Hollywood star of sexual assaulting her at a New York rooftop lounge in 2015.

The lawsuit alleges Foxx made comments such as “wow, you have that super model body” while at Catch NYC and rooftop, before later grabbing the woman by the arm and pulling her to the “secluded” back of the rooftop.

51st NAACP Image Awards – Photo Room– Pasadena, California, U.S., February 22, 2020 – Jamie Foxx poses backstage with his Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture award for "Just Mercy". REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
Image:
Jamie Foxx in 2020

She alleged there was “heinous touching and sexual assault” which has resulted in “severe emotional distress and anxiety” as well as post-traumatic stress disorder.

The woman, identified only as Jane Doe in court documents, is also suing Catch NYC and its owner Mark Birnbaum, alleging they were “negligent” and “failed to use reasonable care to prevent the acts described” in the lawsuit.

A spokesperson for Foxx has been approached for comment.

The allegations against Rose, Adams and Foxx are the latest in a string of lawsuits filed under New York’s expiring Adult Survivors Act.

On Tuesday, American writer and filmmaker A.M. Lukas accused White Lines actor Nuno Lopes of drugging and raping her in 2006.

Actor Nuno Lopes. Pic: AP
Image:
Actor Nuno Lopes. Pic: AP

Lopes denied any wrongdoing and said he would not be afraid to take legal action against anyone who tried to defame him.

Several lawsuits filed before law expires

Also on Tuesday a woman accused Bill Cosby of drugging and sexually abusing her after offering to mentor her in her acting career – joining more than 60 women who have accused him of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment.

He has denied all allegations involving sex crimes.

Read more from Sky News:
A$AP Rocky must stand trial on allegations he fired gun
Benjamin Mendy sues Man City for unpaid wages

A spokesperson for Cosby, 86, declined to comment but suggested the historical windows in place for these lawsuits in New York and elsewhere should be closed because they were being used to target wealthy celebrities, asking: “When is it going to stop?”

Photographer Terry Richardson, who was effectively blacklisted by the fashion world in 2017 after multiple rape and sexual assault allegations, had a new lawsuit filed against him on Tuesday by Spanish model Minerva Portillo.

Terry Richardson. Pic: AP
Image:
Terry Richardson. Pic: AP

Meanwhile, music industry veteran Jimmy Iovine was sued by a woman who claims she was sexually abused, forcibly touched and subject to sexual harassment and retaliation in August 2017.

Record producer Jimmy Iovine
Image:
Record producer Jimmy Iovine

A spokesperson for Iovine said they were “quite shocked and baffled” by the alleged claim, adding: “This inquiry is the first we’ve heard of this matter. No one has ever made a claim like this against Jimmy Iovine, nor have we been contacted or made aware of any complaint by anyone, including this unknown plaintiff prior to now.”

Oscar-winning actor sued by two women

Also on Wednesday Oscar-winning actor Cuba Gooding Jr was sued by two women whose sexual assault accusations against the star formed the basis of a criminal prosecution that ended with him pleading guilty in April 2022 but serving no jail time.

Actor Cuba Gooding Jr in court after he pleaded guilty
Image:
Actor Cuba Gooding Jr in court after he pleaded guilty

Lawyers who have represented Gooding in civil and criminal litigation over his alleged sexual misconduct did not respond to requests for comment.

Others who have been sued under the law include Russell Brand, former movie producer Harvey Weinstein, former US president Donald Trump and hip-hop mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs – whose case was settled after one day.

Continue Reading

US

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Published

on

By

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Children are among the fatalities in a mass shooting at a child’s birthday party in California.

Police said four people had died and 10 were wounded in the incident in Stockton, about 60 miles east of San Francisco.

Officers were called on Saturday to a banquet hall just before 6pm local time (2am UK time) and district attorney Ron Freitas said children were among the dead.

He said the attacker was still at large.

First responders walk through a parking lot near the scene of a mass shooting in Stockton, California. Pics: AP
Image:
First responders walk through a parking lot near the scene of a mass shooting in Stockton, California. Pics: AP

“We can confirm at this time that approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have been confirmed deceased,” San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said on X.

The post said early indications suggest it could be a “targeted incident” but that information remains limited.

Police have so far not disclosed the attacker’s identity and the motive is unclear.

Stockton’s vice mayor Jason Lee confirmed on Facebook that the shooting on Lucile Avenue happened at a child’s birthday party.

Pics: AP
Image:
Pics: AP

Mayor Christina Fugazzi also said that “families should be together instead of at the hospital, standing next to their loved one, praying that they survive”.

California governor Gavin Newsom’s office added that he had been briefed on the “horrific shooting”.

Continue Reading

US

Venezuela accuses Trump of ‘colonial threat’ after US president ‘closes’ its airspace

Published

on

By

Venezuela accuses Trump of 'colonial threat' after US president 'closes' its airspace

Venezuela has accused Donald Trump of a “colonial threat” after he said the airspace “above and surrounding” the country should be considered closed “in its entirety”.

Mr Trump made the declaration amid growing tensions with President Maduro – and as the US continues attacking boats it claims are carrying drugs from Venezuela.

He wrote on Truth Social: “To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.”

Air traffic above Venezuela on Saturday afternoon. Pic: FlightRadar24
Image:
Air traffic above Venezuela on Saturday afternoon. Pic: FlightRadar24

Venezuela’s foreign affairs office called it a “colonial threat” and “illegal, and unjustified aggression”.

It accused the president of threatening “the sovereignty of the national airspace… and the full sovereignty of the Venezuelan state”.

President Trump’s words were part of a “permanent policy of aggression against our country” that breached international law and the UN Charter, it added.

The Pentagon and the White House have so far not given any additional detail on the president’s statement.

Mr Trump’s post comes after the American aviation regulator last week warned of a “potentially hazardous situation” over Venezuela due to a “worsening security situation”.

Nicolas Maduro is widely considered a dictator by the West. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Nicolas Maduro is widely considered a dictator by the West. Pic: Reuters

The South American nation revoked operating rights for six major airlines that went on to suspend flights to the country.

Mr Trump warned a few days ago that land operations against suspected Venezuelan drug traffickers would begin “very soon”.

Such a move would be a major escalation in Operation Southern Spear – the US naval deployment in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific that’s so far attacked at least 21 vessels.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Three killed as US strikes another alleged drug boat

Venezuela has said the attacks, which have killed more than 80 people, amount to murder.

The US has released videos of boats being targeted, but hasn’t provided evidence – such as photos of their cargo – to support the smuggling claims.

Read more:
Trump may have another motive in war on drugs
The US-Venezuela crisis explained

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Venezuela claims Trump creating ‘fables’ to justify ‘war’

The Pentagon has sought to justify the strikes by labelling the drug gangs as “foreign terrorist organisations” – putting them on par with the likes of al Qaeda.

It claims the boats targeted are carrying drugs bound for the US, although Sky’s chief correspondent says the final destination is likely to be Europe and West Africa.

President Maduro has denied Mr Trump’s claims he is involved in the drugs trade himself and said his counterpart wants to oust him so he can install a more sympathetic government.

Venezuelan officials have also claimed Mr Trump’s true motivation is access to the country’s plentiful oil reserves.

Mr Maduro is widely considered a dictator who’s cheated elections and has been president since 2013.

Continue Reading

US

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Published

on

By

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Children are among the fatalities in a mass shooting at a child’s birthday party in California.

Police said four people had died and 10 were wounded in the incident in Stockton, about 60 miles east of San Francisco.

Officers were called to a banquet hall just before 6pm local time (2am UK time) on Saturday and local district attorney Ron Freitas said children were among the dead.

He said the attacker was still at large.

“We can confirm at this time that approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have been
confirmed deceased,” San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said on X.

The post said early indications suggest it could be a “targeted incident” but that information remains limited.

Police have so far not disclosed the attacker’s identity and the motive is unclear.

More on California

Stockton’s Vice Mayor Jason Lee confirmed on Facebook that the shooting on Lucile Avenue happened at a child’s birthday party.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the latest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Continue Reading

Trending