Arkansas coach Sam Pittman said Thursday his hiring of Bobby Petrino as offensive coordinator was an easy decision once he realized the former Razorbacks coach was truly interested in returning and once the university’s upper administration signed off on the decision.
At that point, Pittman said he was unfazed about any scrutiny he might face and called the move a “no brainer” when addressing the media on Thursday.
“You’re going to have people that don’t agree with a lot of things in life,” said Pittman, whose Hogs are coming off a 4-8 season. “And my message is that we’re doing the best we possibly can do for the state of Arkansas and the University of Arkansas.
“If every decision I make or everything that I’ve done, and I’m worried about how it’s going to be received, then I’m not being true to myself, and to me, this was the best hire for our university, our program and our state. And so I’m going to stand very firm behind that, and if people don’t like it, I’m sorry.”
Petrino’s hiring was announced on Wednesday, and he and Pittman met with the media on Thursday. Pittman said it was Petrino’s agent, Christina Phillips, who first reached out to him via text message about her client being interested.
“To be honest with you, I was just trying to find the best man for the job,” Pittman said. “In my opinion, I did.”
Petrino, one of the most respected offensive playcallers in the game, took Arkansas to some of the school’s best success in football in the past 50 years as head coach from 2008 to 2011. The Hogs won 10 games in 2010 and 11 in 2011, finishing that season ranked No. 5 in the polls and winning the Cotton Bowl.
That run marked the only time since Arkansas joined the SEC in 1992 that the Hogs have put together back-to-back winning records (6-2) in league play.
But in April 2012, a motorcycle crash involving Petrino revealed an extramarital affair he was having with a female staffer who he had hired in the football office. After an investigation, Petrino was fired for cause when then-athletic director Jeff Long said Petrino lied to school officials.
Sources told ESPN that current Arkansas chancellor Charles Robinson, system president Donald Bobbitt and the university’s board of trustees were all a part of signing off on Petrino’s return given he had previously been fired for cause, albeit more than 10 years ago.
Pittman worked though the proper channels with his athletic director, Hunter Yurachek, and said he interviewed five people for the job.
“I wanted to hire him. I know he’s a good man. We all make mistakes. … I was adamant that I wanted to hire him, and he was adamant that he wanted to come,” Pittman said. “So the university went to work on all that other stuff.”
Petrino, who said he’s heard from tons of fans and former players since the news of his return broke, got emotional when talking about his second chance at Arkansas. He told ESPN two years ago that he was most upset with letting so many people down when he was fired.
“No, there was never any anger at all,” Petrino said. “I was always a Hogs fan. People would ask me, ‘Are you going to watch the game? Are you going to watch them play?’ I watched as many games as I could. I cheered for them. I rooted for them.'”
Petrino, choking up, added: “I loved the players.”
The 62-year-old coach said he took a tour of the Arkansas football complex when he got to town Wednesday and noted how much everything had changed. He was on campus in 2022 as Missouri State‘s head coach when the FCS Bears came close to upsetting the Hogs in a 38-27 game that saw Missouri State lead by 10 points in the fourth quarter.
Petrino’s family lives 150 miles away in Springfield, Missouri, and his son-in-law, Ryan Beard, is Missouri State’s head coach.
“I truly do love Arkansas, the university, the state and the people,” Petrino said. “I think it’s the most special place I’ve ever been.”
Pittman was adamant that it would be Petrino’s offense and that he is free to run his system and terminology. However, Petrino said that wasn’t the case this season while working as Jimbo Fisher’s offensive coordinator at Texas A&M. He said Fisher wanted him to learn and use all of Fisher’s terminology.
“What we talked about was being able to come in and run the offense and put the offense in and do that,” Petrino said of his conversations with Pittman, while adding that his offense hasn’t changed much.
“I don’t think it’s about plays. I don’t think it’s about what you do. I think it’s about how you use the players that you have, how you get the ball to a Jarius Wright, to a Joe Adams, how you get the ball to Dennis Johnson and how you work the different situations of the game,” said Petrino, referencing some of his past players at Arkansas.
“So what I love to do is utilize players and then be really good at the situations of the game and the players really understand what we’re going to see in third-and-short, what we’re going to see in fourth-and-short, what we’re going to see in the red zone, what blitzes they run from the 15-yard-line in.
“Get everybody on the same page and then practice the heck out of it.”
Rodriguez led all the way to win the $750,000 Wood Memorial on Saturday, earning enough points to move into the 20-horse field for next month’s Kentucky Derby.
Breaking from the rail, the Bob Baffert-trained colt ran 1 1/8 miles on a fast track in 1:48.15 under Hall of Famer Mike Smith in light rain and 45-degree temperatures at Aqueduct in New York. Rodriguez won by 3 1/2 lengths.
The victory was worth 100 qualifying points for the May 3 Derby, potentially giving Baffert three entrants as he seeks a record-setting seventh victory in his return to the race from which he was banned for three years.
Later Saturday, Baffert was to saddle Citizen Bull, last year’s 2-year-old champion, and Barnes in the $500,000 Santa Anita Derby in California, where it was sunny and 82 degrees.
He sent Rodriguez to New York to split up his Derby contenders. The colt was sent off at 7-2 odds in the 10-horse field and paid $9.30 to win the 100th edition of the Wood. He is a son of 2020 Kentucky Derby winner Authentic.
“Bob told me this horse is probably quicker than you think,” Smith said. “He can get uptight pretty easy, and the whole key was just letting him alone out there. I don’t think he necessarily has to have the lead. He just wants to be left alone.”
Smith has twice won the Kentucky Derby. Rodriguez would be his first mount since 2022. At 59, he would be the oldest jockey to win.
“That’s up to all the owners and Bob,” Smith said. “I was glad they pulled me off the bench and I hit a 3-shot for them.”
Grande, trained by Todd Pletcher, was second. He went from having zero qualifying points to 50, which should get him into the Derby starting gate for owner Mike Repole, who is 0 for 7 in the Derby.
Passion Rules was third. Captain Cook, the 9-5 favorite, finished fourth for trainer Rick Dutrow, who hasn’t had a Derby runner since 2010 after winning the 2008 race with Big Brown.
The $1.25 million Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland was postponed from Saturday to Tuesday due to heavy rain and potential flooding in the region. That race and the Lexington Stakes on April 12 are the final Derby preps of the season.
LINCOLN, Neb. — Nebraska receiver Hardley Gilmore IV, who transferred from Kentucky in January, has been dismissed from the team, coach Matt Rhule announced Saturday.
The second-year player from Belle Glade, Florida, had come to Nebraska along with former Kentucky teammate Dane Key and receivers coach Daikiel Shorts Jr. and had received praise from teammates and coaches for his performance in spring practice.
Rhule did not disclose a reason for removing Gilmore.
“Nothing outside the program, nothing criminal or anything like that,” Rhule said. “Just won’t be with us anymore.”
Gilmore was charged with misdemeanor assault in December for allegedly punching someone in the face at a storage facility in Lexington, Kentucky, the Lexington Herald Leader reported on Jan. 2.
Gilmore played in seven games as a freshman for the Wildcats and caught six passes for 153 yards. He started against Murray State and caught a 52-yard touchdown pass on Kentucky’s opening possession. He was a consensus four-star recruit who originally chose Kentucky over Penn State and UCF.
The opening weekend of the 2025 MLB season was taken over by a surprise star — torpedo bats.
The bowling pin-shaped bats became the talk of the sport after the Yankees’ home run onslaught on the first Saturday of the season put it in the spotlight and the buzz hasn’t slowed since.
What exactly is a torpedo bat? How does it help hitters? And how is it legal? Let’s dig in.
What is a torpedo bat and why is it different from a traditional MLB bat?
The idea of the torpedo bat is to take a size format — say, 34 inches and 32 ounces — and distribute the wood in a different geometric shape than the traditional form to ensure the fattest part of the bat is located where the player makes the most contact. Standard bats taper toward an end cap that is as thick diametrically as the sweet spot of the barrel. The torpedo bat moves some of the mass on the end of the bat about 6 to 7 inches lower, giving it a bowling-pin shape, with a much thinner end.
How does it help hitters?
The benefits for those who like swinging with it — and not everyone who has swung it likes it — are two-fold. Both are rooted in logic and physics. The first is that distributing more mass to the area of most frequent contact aligns with players’ swing patterns and provides greater impact when bat strikes ball. Players are perpetually seeking ways to barrel more balls, and while swings that connect on the end of the bat and toward the handle probably will have worse performance than with a traditional bat, that’s a tradeoff they’re willing to make for the additional slug. And as hitters know, slug is what pays.
The second benefit, in theory, is increased bat speed. Imagine a sledgehammer and a broomstick that both weigh 32 ounces. The sledgehammer’s weight is almost all at the end, whereas the broomstick’s is distributed evenly. Which is easier to swing fast? The broomstick, of course, because shape of the sledgehammer takes more strength and effort to move. By shedding some of the weight off the end of the torpedo bat and moving it toward the middle, hitters have found it swings very similarly to a traditional model but with slightly faster bat velocity.
Why did it become such a big story so early in the 2025 MLB season?
Because the New York Yankees hit nine home runs in a game Saturday and Michael Kay, their play-by-play announcer, pointed out that some of them came from hitters using a new bat shape. The fascination was immediate. While baseball, as an industry, has implemented forward-thinking rules in recent seasons, the modification to something so fundamental and known as the shape of a bat registered as bizarre. The initial response from many who saw it: How is this legal?
OK. How is this legal?
Major League Baseball’s bat regulations are relatively permissive. Currently, the rules allow for a maximum barrel diameter of 2.61 inches, a maximum length of 42 inches and a smooth and round shape. The lack of restrictions allows MLB’s authorized bat manufacturers to toy with bat geometry and for the results to still fall within the regulations.
Who came up with the idea of using them?
The notion of a bowling-pin-style bat has kicked around baseball for years. Some bat manufacturers made smaller versions as training tools. But the version that’s now infiltrating baseball goes back two years when a then-Yankees coach named Aaron Leanhardt started asking hitters how they should counteract the giant leaps in recent years made by pitchers.
When Yankees players responded that bigger barrels would help, Leanhardt — an MIT-educated former Michigan physics professor who left academia to work in the sports industry — recognized that as long as bats stayed within MLB parameters, he could change their geometry to make them a reality. Leanhardt, who left the Yankees to serve as major league field coordinator for the Miami Marlins over the winter, worked with bat manufacturers throughout the 2023 and 2024 seasons to make that a reality.
When did it first appear in MLB games?
It’s unclear specifically when. But Yankees slugger Giancarlo Stanton used a torpedo bat last year and went on a home run-hitting rampage in October that helped send the Yankees to the World Series. New York Mets star Francisco Lindor also used a torpedo-style bat last year and went on to finish second in National League MVP voting.
Who are some of the other notable early users of torpedo bats?
Corking bats involves drilling a hole at the end of the bat, filling it in and capping it. The use of altered bats allows players to swing faster because the material with which they replace the wood — whether it’s cork, superballs or another material — is lighter. Any sort of bat adulteration is illegal and, if found, results in suspension.
Could a rule be changed to ban them?
Could it happen? Sure. Leagues and governing bodies have put restrictions on equipment they believe fundamentally altered fairness. Stick curvature is limited in hockey. Full-body swimsuits made of polyurethane and neoprene are banned by World Aquatics. But officials at MLB have acknowledged that the game’s pendulum has swung significantly toward pitching in recent years, and if an offensive revolution comes about because of torpedo bats — and that is far from a guarantee — it could bring about more balance to the game. If that pendulum swings too far, MLB could alter its bat regulations, something it has done multiple times already this century.
So the torpedo bat is here to stay?
Absolutely. Bat manufacturers are cranking them out and shipping them to interested players with great urgency. Just how widely the torpedo bat is adopted is the question that will play out over the rest of the season. But it has piqued the curiosity of nearly every hitter in the big leagues, and just as pitchers toy with new pitches to see if they can marginally improve themselves, hitters will do the same with bats.
Comfort is paramount with a bat, so hitters will test them during batting practice and in cage sessions before unleashing them during the game. As time goes on, players will find specific shapes that are most comfortable to them and best suit their swing during bat-fitting sessions — similar to how golfers seek custom clubs. But make no mistake: This is an almost-overnight alteration of the game, and “traditional or torpedo” is a question every big leaguer going forward will ask himself.