Civil servants have hit back at “cowardly” former ministers who have criticised them for their alleged failure to act on the Post Office Horizon scandal.
A blame-game is under way following the ITV drama Mr Bates vs The Post Office, which depicted how hundreds of sub-postmasters and sub-postmistresses were wrongly held responsible for accounting errors created by the faulty Horizon IT software.
Sir Ed Davey and Lord Peter Mandelson, who are both facing questions for their roles as postal affairs minister and business secretary during the scandal, have laid some of the blame at the door of civil servants – with the latter arguing that officials should have been “more focused and cognisant of what was going on” and that they “failed” to protect ministers.
And in an interview with Sky News, Sir Ed, the Liberal Democrat leader, accused officials in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills of “lying to me” over the scandal.
Mark Serwotka, general secretary of the Public and Commercial Services Union, told Sky News that Lord Mandelson’s comments were “just another cowardly example of politicians scrambling to blame others for their own mistakes”.
“Politicians are quick to take credit when things go well. They should be humble and honest enough to take responsibility for their mistakes, and swiftly deliver justice for the wronged sub-postmasters and sub-mistresses.”
More on Post Office Scandal
Related Topics:
Dave Penman, the general secretary of the FDA union for civil servants, branded Sir Ed’s comments “outrageous” and said they were an “act of desperation from a former minister trying to save his own skin”.
“Ed Davey goes beyond what is reasonable to expect from a former minister,” he told Sky News. “If he’s going to repeat this he needs to back up his accusations.”
Advertisement
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:32
‘The Post Office was lying to me’
He added: “Civil servants should rightly be held to account for what they did and didn’t do, but they need an opportunity to defend themselves.”
Between 1999 and 2015, more than 700 people were prosecuted for a variety of offences including theft, fraud and false accounting – causing many to lose their jobs, livelihoods and reputations.
On Wednesday, Rishi Sunak announced that a new law would be introduced to exonerate and compensate those caught up in the Horizon scandal and that those who were part of the group litigation order against the Post Office would also be eligible for an upfront payment of £75,000.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:40
Sub-postmasters were ‘guinea pigs’
Sir Ed – who was postal affairs minister between 2010 and 2012 during the coalition government – has attracted particular criticism after it emerged he refused to meet sub-postmaster Alan Bates, whom the ITV drama is named after, on a number of occasions – saying in a short three-paragraph letter that a meeting “wouldn’t serve any purpose”.
However, Sir Ed did later meet with Mr Bates and was the first minister on public record to do so. It is understood he then asked his officials to follow up on the concerns raised by the sub-postmaster at their meeting.
Speaking to Sky News this week, Sir Ed said: “I wish I’d known then what we all know now. The Post Office was lying on an industrial scale to me and other ministers.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
4:03
Wrongly convicted postmaster describes ordeal
“When I met Alan Bates and listened to his concerns, I put those concerns to officials in my department, to the Post Office and to the National Federation of Postmasters and it’s clear they all were lying to me.”
Sir Ed was joined in his criticism of the civil service by Lord Mandelson, who was in charge of the oversight the Post Office from 2008 until his departure in 2010.
In his Times Radio podcast aired earlier this week, Lord Mandelson said: “I’m not trying to point the finger at particular civil servants obviously,” he added, “but they should have been much more focused and cognisant of what was going on.
“And their job is to, in a sense, both to protect ministers and serve the wider public interest, and in this instance that failed.”
Separately, it has emerged that Lord Mandelson was made personally aware of the Horizon issue, after an email released under the Freedom of Information (FOI) showed they were highlighted to him in 2009 by Tory peer Lord Arbuthnot.
However, rather than respond himself, the FOI instead showed a response from his junior business minister, and now close ally of Sir Keir Starmer, Pat McFadden, who said there was “nothing to indicate that there are any problems with the Horizon system”.
A spokesperson for the Liberal Democrats said: “Ed has been clear that Post Office managers lied to the victims, to judges and to ministers, those lies circulated across the entire system.
“It is also the case that like all former ministers and post office managers, civil servants – particularly those sitting on the post office board, must face the inquiry and answer questions.
“The priority now needs to be getting justice and compensation for the victims.”
Reform UK’s deputy leader has defended a ban on a local newspaper handed down by a council leader in a free speech row.
Nottinghamshire County Council leader Mick Barton banned its Reform councillors, who hold 41 of 66 seats, from speaking to journalists from the Nottingham Post, its digital site Nottinghamshire Live and its local democracy reporters on Tuesday.
This came after the newspaper published an article reporting on two Reform councillors allegedly saying they could face suspension if they did not back Mr Barton’s preferred structure for the reorganisation of the council.
Richard Tice, Reform’s deputy leader, has defended the ban, telling Sky News’ presenter Jonathan Samuels that Nottinghamshire Live “distorts and completely acts in an irresponsible way” and therefore councillors were “entitled to say ‘we’re going to talk to other parts of the media, not yourselves'”.
When challenged that this was going against the principle of democracy, Reform UK’s deputy leader replied: “That’s the whole point of a democracy. You pick and choose who you speak to, and sometimes you speak to friends, sometimes you don’t.
“But it is equally that a media organisation does have a responsibility also to present some things in a sensible way, presenting both sides of a debate or an argument. And that was the issue.”
Natalie Fahy, senior editor at Nottinghamshire Live, told Sky News she was “absolutely gobsmacked” by Mr Tice’s comments, as he “knows absolutely nothing about what the Nottingham Post publishes day in day out”.
More on Reform Uk
Related Topics:
She said: “As a newspaper regulated by IPSO (Independent Press Standards Organisation), we are actually allowed to be biased if we want to be, but we try to maintain an overall balance on our coverage (…) We’ve not distorted any facts whatsoever.”
Image: Mr Tice said he wants to be held to account by people “who are not completely distorted and biased”
Mr Tice was asked whether he only wanted to be held to account by people that he likes and agrees with. He replied: “I want to be held to account by people who are going to be rational, sensible and not completely distorted and biased.”
“That’s not a democratic society, that’s not free press. Sometimes there is going to be negative stuff, and sometimes we will be going to have to criticise stuff. It’s very dangerous what he (Mr Tice) said – you can’t just have a positive, unquestioning press,” Ms Fahy warned.
She added that the Nottingham Post was not an anti-Reform publication and that its journalists appreciate that many of their readers vote for Reform. “We just want to find out on behalf of our readers what they voted for,” Ms Fahy said.
‘Rehearsal for Nigel Farage’s government’
Ms Fahy, who alerted Mr Tice to the ban before he spoke to Sky News on Friday, urged Nigel Farage to get involved.
“This is a rehearsal for Nigel Farage’s government – he needs to step in and say that this is not acceptable behaviour if he wants to be taken seriously,” the senior editor warned.
But Mr Tice indicated that Mr Farage would not wade into the row, saying: “It’s a local row and I’m sure they’ll sort it out.”
The ban might not end with the Nottingham Post, as Mr Barton, the Nottinghamshire County Council leader, warned his party would also “not be engaging with any other media outlet we consider to be consistently misrepresenting our politics, actions, or intentions”.
Image: Nigel Farage
As part of the ban, the authority will also stop sending press releases to the outlet and won’t invite them to council events, although it cannot prevent them from attending public meetings.
Ms Fahy published an opinion piece after the ban was announced, telling readers: “Reform UK makes huge noises about respecting free speech, transparency, honesty and being straight-talking. This boycott flies in the face of all of that. When the press is not welcome, you know democracy itself is in danger.
“If we’re heading for a Reform government, you’ll see this echoed on the national stage. And maybe at some point, people will look back and wonder where it all started. If we don’t fight back against this authoritarian edict, we’re heading down a very dark and dangerous path for everyone in this country.
“Grow up Mick Barton, and start accepting a free press is there to hold you and your councillors to account. You’ve got my number and I am waiting for your call.”
‘Not just press being shut out’
The leader of the opposition at Nottinghamshire County Council, Conservative councillor Sam Smith, said on X: “The free press play a key role in keeping residents informed of actions being taken by decision makers and in return the press express the views of residents to the politicians and public in publishing balanced articles.
“As a leader of the county council, I welcomed that scrutiny. Sometimes it was tough reading, but it helped ensure my team and I were always focused on delivering on the priorities of local residents.
“It’s not just the press Reform are shutting out in Nottinghamshire. It’s the voice and views of residents.”
Mr Barton said the decision had not been made “lightly”, adding: “It is not about silencing journalism, it is about upholding the principle that freedom of speech must be paired with responsibility and honesty.”
A temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Essex has been overturned at the Court of Appeal.
The Home Office and Somani Hotels, which owns the Bell Hotel in Epping, have successfully challenged a High Court ruling. Today’s hearing saw both parties win the right to appeal, before also winning the appeals themselves.
Lord Justice Bean, sitting with Lady Justice Nicola Davies and Lord Justice Cobb, quashed an earlier injunction granted to Epping Forest District Council, saying: “We allow the appeals and we set aside the injunction imposed on 19 August 2025.”
This means asylum seekers will stay in the accommodation in Essex past 12 September. There are currently 138 asylum seekers being housed at the hotel.
Image: Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA
Last week, the initial court ruling centred on the change in use of the premises without consent from the local authority.
But after the Home Office argued its case – which involved stating it had the right to appeal – judges have backed the government’s side.
The decision avoids a precedent for other councils to appeal against asylum hotels in their areas.
Council ‘will continue the fight’
A councillor for Epping said the “battle is not over” after the Court of Appeal ruling and vowed the council would “continue the fight”.
Image: Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA
Speaking outside the London court, Ken Williamson, said: “We are deeply disappointed by the outcome of today’s hearing.
“The concern and motivation of Epping Forest District Council throughout has been the wellbeing of our local residents, where we had clarity and resolution, we now have doubt and confusion.”
The council could still be granted an injunction following a full hearing of the legal claim, which is due to be heard in October.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
6:44
Reform UK’s deputy leader Richard Tice: Epping residents should feel ‘angry and frustrated’
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage also criticised the ruling, claiming that “illegal migrants have more rights than the British people under (Keir) Starmer”.
Tory leader Kemi Badenoch echoed this in her own statement, saying: “Keir Starmer has shown that he puts the rights of illegal immigrants above the rights of British people who just want to feel safe in their towns and communities.”
She also urged Conservative councillors seeking similar injunctions against asylum hotels to “keep going” despite the ruling.
Focal point of protests
Epping Forest District Council had asked for the injunction after the Bell Hotel became the focal point of several protests and counter-protests. It claimed its owner, Somani Hotels, had breached planning rules.
Lord Justice Stephen Eyre, who gave the original High Court decision, had said that while the council had not “definitively established” that the company had breached planning rules, “the strength of the claimant’s case is such that it weighs in favour” of granting the injunction.
Image: Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July
Regular protests have been held outside the Bell Hotel since an asylum seeker housed there was accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in July.
Hadush Gerberslasie Kebatu, 38, denies two counts of sexual assault, one count of attempted sexual assault, one count of inciting a girl to engage in sexual activity, and one count of harassment without violence.
Image: A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A
After the Court of Appeal ruling, a small number of protesters gathered outside the Bell Hotel carrying England and Union flags, with police officers guarding the entrance to the hotel, which is gated off with metal fencing.
An England flag has been attached to a drainpipe outside the hotel, while England flags have also been painted onto signs and a speed camera outside the hotel.