A Dundee councillor has been spotted sewing during a meeting being streamed online.
Christina Roberts was captured sewing a hat for around 20 minutes during the city governance committee meeting on Monday.
During the live-streamed remote meeting, the SNP councillor was also spotted on her phone and leisurely sitting back with a mug in her hand.
At one point she appears engaged in a conversation with someone else off-camera.
Image: Councillor Roberts continued to sew for around 20 minutes. Pic: Dundee City Council
Image: Councillor Roberts sitting back with a mug in her hand. Pic: Dundee City Council
The meeting saw councillors discuss a number of topics, including the possibility of introducing a tourist tax to address the local authority’s budget shortfall in the upcoming financial year.
Councillor Roberts was contacted for comment.
Bailie Derek Scott, who was taking part in the proceedings, told Sky News there are “too many distractions” for people during remote meetings.
More on Snp
Related Topics:
The Scottish Tory councillor for the city’s The Ferry ward said: “While Bailie Roberts might well be able to sew and take part in a meeting at the same time, it does give the impression that she is uninterested in what’s happening.
“There are too many distractions for people attending meetings remotely; the sooner Dundee City Council gets back to face-to-face meetings the better.”
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:08
Inverness provost Glynis Campbell Sinclair forgot to turn her camera off
Inverness provost Glynis Campbell Sinclair forgot to turn her camera off and was spotted holding a cloth and carrying a basin of water to a nearby window.
After rearranging a plant and turning a light on, the SNP councillor for Culloden and Ardersier appeared to receive a phone call that brought her running back to the computer.
A temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Essex has been overturned at the Court of Appeal.
The Home Office and Somani Hotels, which owns the Bell Hotel in Epping, have successfully challenged a High Court ruling. Today’s hearing saw both parties win the right to appeal, before also winning the appeals themselves.
Lord Justice Bean, sitting with Lady Justice Nicola Davies and Lord Justice Cobb, quashed an earlier injunction granted to Epping Forest District Council, saying: “We allow the appeals and we set aside the injunction imposed on 19 August 2025.”
This means asylum seekers will stay in the accommodation in Essex past 12 September. There are currently 138 asylum seekers being housed at the hotel.
Image: Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA
Last week, the initial court ruling centred on the change in use of the premises without consent from the local authority.
But after the Home Office argued its case – which involved stating it had the right to appeal – judges have backed the government’s side.
The decision avoids a precedent for other councils to appeal against asylum hotels in their areas.
Council ‘will continue the fight’
A councillor for Epping said the “battle is not over” after the Court of Appeal ruling and vowed the council would “continue the fight”.
Image: Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA
Speaking outside the London court, Ken Williamson, said: “We are deeply disappointed by the outcome of today’s hearing.
“The concern and motivation of Epping Forest District Council throughout has been the wellbeing of our local residents, where we had clarity and resolution, we now have doubt and confusion.”
The council could still be granted an injunction following a full hearing of the legal claim, which is due to be heard in October.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
6:44
Reform UK’s deputy leader Richard Tice: Epping residents should feel ‘angry and frustrated’
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage also criticised the ruling, claiming that “illegal migrants have more rights than the British people under (Keir) Starmer”.
Tory leader Kemi Badenoch echoed this in her own statement, saying: “Keir Starmer has shown that he puts the rights of illegal immigrants above the rights of British people who just want to feel safe in their towns and communities.”
She also urged Conservative councillors seeking similar injunctions against asylum hotels to “keep going” despite the ruling.
Focal point of protests
Epping Forest District Council had asked for the injunction after the Bell Hotel became the focal point of several protests and counter-protests. It claimed its owner, Somani Hotels, had breached planning rules.
Lord Justice Stephen Eyre, who gave the original High Court decision, had said that while the council had not “definitively established” that the company had breached planning rules, “the strength of the claimant’s case is such that it weighs in favour” of granting the injunction.
Image: Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July
Regular protests have been held outside the Bell Hotel since an asylum seeker housed there was accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in July.
Hadush Gerberslasie Kebatu, 38, denies two counts of sexual assault, one count of attempted sexual assault, one count of inciting a girl to engage in sexual activity, and one count of harassment without violence.
Image: A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A
After the Court of Appeal ruling, a small number of protesters gathered outside the Bell Hotel carrying England and Union flags, with police officers guarding the entrance to the hotel, which is gated off with metal fencing.
An England flag has been attached to a drainpipe outside the hotel, while England flags have also been painted onto signs and a speed camera outside the hotel.
Avalanche transaction growth topped all blockchain networks with 66%, as the smart-contract network saw more government implementation and renewed ETF applications.
Unicoin urged a New York judge to toss the SEC’s $100 million fraud case, arguing the regulator misquoted filings and relied on “snippets” taken out of context.