Connect with us

Published

on

Unlicensed XL bully dogs will be banned in Scotland, the Scottish government has announced.

Humza Yousaf initially confirmed the move during First Minister’s Questions on Thursday, saying the decision would “in essence, replicate” UK legislation after the country saw an influx of dogs being rehomed north of the border.

Holyrood later confirmed the legislation would mirror the UK government’s – with the tight safeguards making it a criminal offence to own the breed without an exemption certificate.

The move follows new regulations that have come into force in England and Wales after a spate of attacks in which people have died or been injured by the breed.

Mr Yousaf said: “We recognise that the vast majority of dog owners are responsible animal lovers.

“However, now that we know the full implications for Scotland of the UK government’s measures, we are urgently bringing forward new safeguards on XL bully dogs.

“It is essential Scotland is not adversely impacted because of any loopholes created as a consequence of the introduction of the UK government’s policy in England and Wales.

More on Animals

“Recent reports of XL bully dogs being moved to Scotland from south of the border are concerning and it’s important we do not become a dumping ground for the breed, leading to unacceptable risks to public safety and animal welfare.

“We will be working at pace to bring forward necessary regulations to mirror the system introduced in England and Wales as soon as possible.

“We will continue to engage with key stakeholders going forward and to offer practical support to help owners comply with these new safeguards.”

Community safety minister Siobhian Brown had earlier warned Scots not to buy XL bully dogs “at the present time”.

The MSP issued the advice after claiming the UK government’s policy had led to an “influx of XL bully dogs coming to Scotland”.

Read more:
New rules come into force
How experts predict ban will change things

What are the rules?

XL bullies were added to the Dangerous Dogs Act on 31 October 2023, giving owners in England and Wales two months to prepare for the restrictions.

The dogs must be kept on a lead and muzzled when out in public.

Selling, breeding, abandoning or giving them away is also now illegal.

Those in England and Wales have until 31 January to apply for an exemption certificate to keep their dog – and must have it neutered, microchipped and insured.

Owners who fail to obtain an exemption by then will have to euthanise their dog or face a possible criminal record and fine.

Soprano the XL bully dog. Pic: Lauren Ballantyne
Image:
Soprano the XL bully dog. Pic: Lauren Ballantyne

‘You should be standing by your dog’

XL bully owner Lauren Ballantyne, from Fife, said responsible owners shouldn’t have an issue complying with the replicated regulations.

The mum-of-two, who has a 21-week-old pup called Soprano, told Sky News: “If you had the money to buy the dog in the first place, you should be sticking by your dog.

“And if it takes for you to have to neuter it, muzzle it and microchip it, if you are a responsible owner that’s what you should be doing.

“You should be standing by your dog, not giving it away or rehoming it. It’s as simple as that.”

Soprano the XL bully dog. Pic: Lauren Ballantyne
Image:
Soprano enjoying a nap. Pic: Lauren Ballantyne

Ms Ballantyne, who is attempting to get over a fear of dogs, said Soprano will begin muzzle training this weekend.

She added: “I don’t think a ban is the answer. It’s down to the dog owners.”

‘Any breed can be potentially dangerous in the wrong hands’

The Scottish SPCA earlier told Sky News it had not seen an increase in the number of XL bully dogs being brought to its centres since the restrictions across the border started.

The animal welfare charity said it will comply with the Scottish government’s decision but remains opposed to a ban on dog breeds.

Instead, the Scottish SPCA believes the answer lies in targeting irresponsible ownership and low-welfare breeding practices as “any breed of dog can be potentially out of control and dangerous in the wrong hands”.

A spokesperson for the charity added: “We urge the Scottish government to ensure that any legislation is introduced with a sufficient transition period, to ensure that owners have the time and support needed to be able to exempt their dogs.

“We also call on the Scottish government to ensure that the teams responsible for enforcing this law have the resources and training they need before the ban begins, to ensure that no more dogs than absolutely necessary become caught up in this.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Appeals court overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping hotel

Published

on

By

Appeals court overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping hotel

A temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Essex has been overturned at the Court of Appeal.

The Home Office and Somani Hotels, which owns the Bell Hotel in Epping, have successfully challenged a High Court ruling. Today’s hearing saw both parties win the right to appeal, before also winning the appeals themselves.

Lord Justice Bean, sitting with Lady Justice Nicola Davies and Lord Justice Cobb, quashed an earlier injunction granted to Epping Forest District Council, saying: “We allow the appeals and we set aside the injunction imposed on 19 August 2025.”

This means asylum seekers will stay in the accommodation in Essex past 12 September. There are currently 138 asylum seekers being housed at the hotel.

Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA
Image:
Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA

Last week, the initial court ruling centred on the change in use of the premises without consent from the local authority.

But after the Home Office argued its case – which involved stating it had the right to appeal – judges have backed the government’s side.

The decision avoids a precedent for other councils to appeal against asylum hotels in their areas.

Council ‘will continue the fight’

A councillor for Epping said the “battle is not over” after the Court of Appeal ruling and vowed the council would “continue the fight”.

Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA
Image:
Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA

Speaking outside the London court, Ken Williamson, said: “We are deeply disappointed by the outcome of today’s hearing.

“The concern and motivation of Epping Forest District Council throughout has been the wellbeing of our local residents, where we had clarity and resolution, we now have doubt and confusion.”

The council could still be granted an injunction following a full hearing of the legal claim, which is due to be heard in October.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Reform UK’s deputy leader Richard Tice: Epping residents should feel ‘angry and frustrated’

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage also criticised the ruling, claiming that “illegal migrants have more rights than the British people under (Keir) Starmer”.

Tory leader Kemi Badenoch echoed this in her own statement, saying: “Keir Starmer has shown that he puts the rights of illegal immigrants above the rights of British people who just want to feel safe in their towns and communities.”

She also urged Conservative councillors seeking similar injunctions against asylum hotels to “keep going” despite the ruling.

Focal point of protests

Epping Forest District Council had asked for the injunction after the Bell Hotel became the focal point of several protests and counter-protests. It claimed its owner, Somani Hotels, had breached planning rules.

Lord Justice Stephen Eyre, who gave the original High Court decision, had said that while the council had not “definitively established” that the company had breached planning rules, “the strength of the claimant’s case is such that it weighs in favour” of granting the injunction.

Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July
Image:
Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July

Regular protests have been held outside the Bell Hotel since an asylum seeker housed there was accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in July.

Hadush Gerberslasie Kebatu, 38, denies two counts of sexual assault, one count of attempted sexual assault, one count of inciting a girl to engage in sexual activity, and one count of harassment without violence.

His trial has been taking place this week and verdicts are expected at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on 4 September.

A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A
Image:
A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A

After the Court of Appeal ruling, a small number of protesters gathered outside the Bell Hotel carrying England and Union flags, with police officers guarding the entrance to the hotel, which is gated off with metal fencing.

An England flag has been attached to a drainpipe outside the hotel, while England flags have also been painted onto signs and a speed camera outside the hotel.

Continue Reading

Politics

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Published

on

By

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Avalanche transaction growth topped all blockchain networks with 66%, as the smart-contract network saw more government implementation and renewed ETF applications.

Continue Reading

Politics

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in $100M fraud case

Published

on

By

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in 0M fraud case

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in 0M fraud case

Unicoin urged a New York judge to toss the SEC’s $100 million fraud case, arguing the regulator misquoted filings and relied on “snippets” taken out of context.

Continue Reading

Trending