Defence Secretary Grant Shapps has accused the Houthis of “thuggery” in the Red Sea, as he suggested the UK was open to carrying out further airstrikes in Yemen.
The British military joined forces with the US on Thursday night as it launched attacks in retaliation for the targeting of international trade in the key shipping lane.
Asked by Sky News’ Kay Burley if the government planned an escalation of the action, Mr Shapps said no, but insisted the UK would “monitor the situation very carefully”.
“Our intention is not to go into Yemen or anything like that, but simply to send a very clear, unambiguous message to the Iranian-backed Houthis that their behaviour in the Red Sea is completely unacceptable,” he added.
“We cannot have that situation where they are trying to harass [Red Sea vessels] and we’ll keep a very close eye.
“If we have to take further action then that’s something that we would consider.”
More on Grant Shapps
Related Topics:
Image: An RAF Typhoon aircraft takes off to join the US-led air strikes in Yemen
The US carried out a further strike in Yemen on Friday, but reports suggest only 25% of the Houthi capability to carry out attacks on cargo ships has been damaged.
“We never thought that this would remove all of their facilities,” said the defence secretary. “That wasn’t the goal. The goal was to send a very clear message.”
Advertisement
Describing the Houthis’ behaviour as “almost like thuggery,” Mr Shapps said: “We are waiting to see now what happens.
“That international waterway in the Red Sea should be open to international shipping. That is the international law.
“We got increasingly concerned that international shipping was having to reroute and adding hugely to the cost of shipping.”
He added: “We took the action that you saw last week and we’ve made it clear that we will wait and see what happens next.
“But we can’t have a situation where freedom of navigation, the ability for ships to move around the world in international waters, effectively impugned by Iranian-backed Houthis harassing that shipping.”
Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge
Sky News Monday to Thursday at 7pm.
Watch live on Sky channel 501, Freeview 233, Virgin 602, the Sky News website and app or YouTube.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said the aim of the action was to “de-escalate tensions in the region and actually restore stability back to the area”.
He added: “We faced an escalating series of attacks from the Houthis on commercial shipping, including an attack on a Royal Navy warship. That’s unacceptable.
“It’s right that we took proportionate, targeted action against military targets to send a strong message that that behaviour is unacceptable.
“It was a last resort, it came after the end of exhaustive diplomatic activity including a UN Security Council. Now, I think it is incumbent on the Houthis to recognise the international condemnation for what they are doing and desist. But we, of course, will not hesitate to protect our security where required.”
A spokesman for the Yemeni armed forces in the Houthi-controlled north of the country said in a televised statement the bombardment “will not go unanswered and unpunished”.
And it linked the strikes with the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas, saying it would not deter their support for the Palestinians.
On Sunday, Foreign Secretary Lord Cameron denied any link between the Yemen strikes and the war in Gaza, saying the action was “completely separate”.
But experts warned those in Arab nations would be unlikely to see it in the same way.
Mr Sunak is expected to make a statement on the military action in the Commons later on Monday.
He briefed Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer ahead of the strikes on Thursday, as well as the Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle.
Speaking to reporters on Monday, Sir Keir said: “The action that the government took in conjunction with the US is action that we support.
“What we now need to hear from the prime minister is the scope, the basis, the full reasoning behind the decision that he took and of course the question of whether more action may be needed, and what processes will be put in place.”
However, some MPs are angry ministers did not bring the issue to parliament before joining the US-led operation last week, with the Liberal Democrats demanding a retrospective vote on the issue.
Asked if he would support further strikes in Yemen, Sir Keir said: “If the government is proposing further action, then it should say so and set out the case and we’re going to have to consider that on a case by case basis on the merits.”
US President Donald Trump has revoked Secret Service protection for former vice president and 2024 Democratic rival Kamala Harris.
A senior adviser to Ms Harris, Kirsten Allen, confirmed the decision. “The vice president is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” said the adviser.
Typically, vice presidents receive a six-month security detail from the Secret Service after they leave office, although it had been extended to 18 months for Ms Harris, according to officials.
Initially, then-president Joe Biden extended her security arrangements to one year, or January 2026, according to reports.
However, a Secret Service official told Sky News’ US partner, NBC, that Mr Biden subsequently signed an executive memorandum in January increasing the then vice-president’s protection period even further, to 18 months.
Former US presidents receive Secret Service protection for life.
Revoking Harris’ federal protection will be deemed ‘malicious’ by Trump’s critics
We don’t know why the former vice president’s Secret Service protection has been revoked – the White House gave no explanation.
We do know why former president Joe Biden extended it from the usual six months to 18 months before he left office.
Such decisions tend to be based on advice from the Department of Homeland Security, determined by the perceived threat level.
Kamala Harris isn’t just a former vice president of the United States. She was the first woman and first African American to hold that office.
In addition to that, she was the Democratic candidate in last year’s election – the battle against Donald Trump raising her profile even higher.
By early 2025, she had plans for a book tour. Her memoir, 107 Days, marking the short period of her candidature, is due out next month.
Extending federal protection would have bolstered Ms Harris’ safety during extensive public appearances.
In short, the extension reflected heightened security needs – her symbolic status and increased visibility from upcoming public engagements.
But the White House has pulled her Secret Service security detail, a move that will be deemed malicious by the president’s critics.
Ms Harris, who lost the 2024 presidential election to Mr Trump, is due to start a book tour for her memoir, 107 Days, shortly.
She was the Democratic nominee for 107 days after Mr Biden exited the race in the weeks following a challenging debate against Mr Trump.
Mr Trump has also ended federal security protection for others, including former national security adviser John Bolton. Last week, FBI agents raided Mr Bolton’s Maryland home.
In March, the president ended protection for Mr Biden’s children, Hunter and Ashley Biden.
Ms Harris has not ruled out a possible presidential run in 2028. She announced in July that she would not run for governor of California in 2026.
Thailand’s prime minister has been sacked after a leaked phone call with a senior Cambodian politician caused outrage.
Paetongtarn Shinawatra, who was Thailand’s youngest PM, has been dismissed from office by the country’s Constitutional Court after only a year in power.
The court found Ms Shinawatra, 39, violated ethics in a leaked June telephone call, during which she appeared to kowtow to Cambodia’s former leader Hun Sen as the bordering countries were on the verge of an armed conflict.
She also criticised a Thai army commander – a taboo move in a country where the military is extremely influential.
Fighting erupted weeks later and lasted five days. At least 35 people were killed and more than 260,000 were displaced.
Ms Shinawatra, who was new to politics when she took office in August last year, apologised over the call and said she was trying to avert a war. She was suspended in July.
Image: Ms Shinawatra arriving at Government House in Bangkok ahead of the verdict on Friday. Pic: Reuters
She is now the fifth Thai PM from, or backed by, the billionaire Shinawatra family to be removed by the military or the judiciary in 17 years, amid a battle for power between the country’s warring elites.
The ruling thrusts Thailand into more political uncertainty at a time of public unease over stalled reforms and a stuttering economy.
The decline of Thailand’s most powerful political dynasty
This is a damning verdict for the Thai prime minister.
Paetongtarn Shinawatra said she “acted with the purest of intentions” and that she hoped for political unity.
But with one phone call, she has pushed Thailand to the brink of a political crisis.
It was a naive and explosive mistake. And it couldn’t have happened at a worse time.
Right now, the kingdom is facing massive insecurity.
Border tensions with Cambodia could erupt again at any point and it is just weeks since the two sides were exchanging fire.
Thailand needs strong and definite leadership. Instead, it now has months of jeopardy.
Paetongtarn is now the fifth leader to be removed from office by the constitutional court in just 17 years.
But her particular ouster is part of a much bigger story – the decline of Thailand’s most powerful political dynasty.
Last week, her father Thaksin was cleared of insulting the monarchy.
But he faces more court cases and the misstep by his daughter threatens to severely weaken their political domination as a family.
Pateongtarn crossed a red line for Thais – insulting the all-important military.
She clearly trusted “uncle” Hun Sen. She shouldn’t have.
His revenge leak has unseated her and her nation.
Now comes a messy grappling to fill the power vacuum she leaves behind.
Speaking after the court’s decision, the exiting PM said “all sides” in Thai politics now “have to work together to build political stability and to ensure that there won’t be another turning point again”.
The focus will now shift to who will replace Ms Shinawatra.
Her influential, billionaire father, Thaksin Shinawatra, who also once served as Thailand’s PM, is expected to be at the heart of a flurry of bargaining to keep the ruling Pheu Thai party in power.
Follow The World
Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday
The leader of the main opposition People’s Party has called for the next prime minister to dissolve parliament once they are installed.
The deputy PM, Phumtham Wechayachai, and the current cabinet will act as government caretakers until a new leader is elected by parliament. There is no time limit on when that must take place.
The Russian president thinks he’s winning this war, and it’s hard to escape the conclusion that he’s using diplomacy to play for time while he carries on beating down the Ukrainians’ will to win.
And at the moment, no one is stopping him
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
4:40
At least 14 killed in Kyiv attack
Ukraineis hitting back, particularly at Russia‘s oil installations, more of them going up in thick black smoke, after being hit by long-range Ukrainian drones.
It is taking a heavy toll on Putin’s ‘Achilles heel’, but on its own, analysts don’t expect it will be enough to persuade him to end this war.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:00
British Council building hit in Kyiv
The West can wring its hands in condemnation.
But it’s divided between Europe that wants a ceasefire and much more severe sanctions, and Donald Trump, who, it seems, does not – strangely always willing to sympathise with the Russians more than Ukraine.
He’s back to blaming Ukraine for starting the war, saying earlier in the week that Kyiv should not have got into a war it had no chance of winning.
It is a grotesque perversion of history. Ukraine, of course, had no choice but to fight to defend itself when it was invaded in an act of unprovoked aggression.
Every time the US president has condemned Russia for these kinds of attacks, he has never followed through and done nothing to punish them.
Image: Rescue workers carry an injured woman after a Russian strike on Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP
More worryingly for the Ukrainians, the Russians are getting the upper hand in the drones war, taking Iranian technology and souping it up into faster-moving drones that the Ukrainians are having increasing difficulty bringing down.
They expect as many as a thousand drones a night coming their way by the winter, and many, many more innocents to die.
A war that began as one man’s mad idea has, in three and a half years, metastasised into a titanic struggle between east and west, fought increasingly with machines in a dystopian evolution of war.
If Mr Trump is not prepared to use his power to bring this war to an end, what will another three and a half years of his presidency bring?