Connect with us

Published

on

Robert Jenrick says he is “prepared” to vote against the Rwanda bill if the government does not adopt “robust” changes to the proposed legislation.

Two days of debate on the proposed law has begun in in the Commons, with the legislation aiming to deter asylum seekers from coming to the UK via small boat crossings.

Rishi Sunak has said the new bill, which includes clauses to define Rwanda as a “safe country” and reduces the ability for people to appeal, answers the concerns of the the UK Supreme Court – which ruled the plan unlawful – while also ensuring deportations will take place.

Politics live: Johnson tells PM to accept rebel amendments

A Boeing 767 aircraft at MoD Boscombe Down, near Salisbury, which is believed to be the plane set to take asylum seekers from the UK to Rwanda. Picture date: Tuesday June 14, 2022.
Image:
No migrants have been flown to Rwanda so far

But many on the right of the party – including Mr Jenrick, who resigned as immigration minister over the issue – want the prime minister to toughen up the legislation with a raft of amendments, including one that would block injunctions on flights taking off.

Make this move, however, and Mr Sunak risks upsetting the centrist wing of his party, with the One Nation faction already concerned the bill goes too far from the UK’s international obligations.

Speaking to Sky News’s political editor Beth Rigby, Mr Jenrick said he did not want to get to the “situation” where he would have to rebel against the government, but added: “I am prepared to vote against the bill… because this bill doesn’t work, and I do believe that a better bill is possible.

More on Conservatives

“So the government has a choice. It can either accept my amendments… or it can bring back a new and improved bill, and it could do that within a matter of days because we know the shape of that bill.”

He added: “The opportunity here is immense. Let’s not waste it by creating a scheme that is like a bucket riddled with holes.”

Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge

Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge

Sky News Monday to Thursday at 7pm.
Watch live on Sky channel 501, Freeview 233, Virgin 602, the Sky News website and app or YouTube.

Tap here for more

Jenrick: ‘Tens of thousands more’ will come if bill not ‘fixed’

The former immigration minister said he “didn’t accept” that if the bill failed in the Commons, Mr Sunak’s premiership would be in crisis – despite two deputy Tory chairmen now risking the sack to vote for the rebel amendments.

“This isn’t about the prime minister or his leadership of the Conservative Party,” Mr Jenrick said. “This is about fixing one of the biggest problems facing not just this country, but countries all over the world.

“And as I’ve set out in great detail since I resigned on principle last month, if we don’t fix this problem, we’ll see tens of thousands more people coming to our country.

“I don’t want to see the bill either fail or proceed in its current state. Neither is a satisfactory outcome. But I do know that a better bill is possible and the ball is in the government’s court here.”

He added: “The point is that there’s no point having a moment of unity in passing a bill that doesn’t work – that’s an illusion.

“What matters is whether it works. And if we’re celebrating this week, but in August there are still thousands of people coming across in small boats, no one will remember the events of this week.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

PM claims Tories are ‘completely united’ in wanting to stop the boats

Govt ‘risks clogging up the courts’

Sky News understands the government still doesn’t plan to accept any of the amendments from right-wing MPs.

However, shortly before the debate began – and in an attempt to appease rebels – Justice Secretary Alex Chalk confirmed 25 hearing rooms had been prepared and more than 100 additional staff had been recruited to help speed up appeals and deportations.

But Mr Jenrick said: “Adding more judges into the mix simply accepts my central argument that there will be an absolute cascade of individual claims from migrants as they arrive into the country and [that] will clog up the courts.

“It will delay things and the scheme will become completely inoperable.”

Robert Jenrik during the debate on the Rwanda bill
Image:
Robert Jenrik during a debate on the Rwanda bill

The former minister also rejected the government’s argument that any strengthening of the law would lead to the Rwandan government pulling out of the scheme altogether, rather than risk being linked with breaches of international law.

“It is quite an implausible suggestion from the government, which was raised at the 11th hour,” he said.

“I think it’s a highly convenient argument… you weren’t born yesterday, neither was I. I don’t think that is going to wash with parliamentary colleagues.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Would Labour support Rwanda plan?

Mr Jenrick continued: “All we care about is what works. It is absolutely critical for the country not to talk about the government, but to actually get the Rwanda scheme up and running.

“Illegal migration is doing untold damage to our country. I won’t allow that to continue.

“I said, as did the prime minister, that we would do whatever it takes. And the bill before parliament this week is not that.

“That is why we need to amend it, to toughen it and to ensure those flights do truly get off to Rwanda.”

Today’s debate will last for six hours, with a further six hours expected on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Politics

Appeals court overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping hotel

Published

on

By

Appeals court overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping hotel

A temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Essex has been overturned at the Court of Appeal.

The Home Office and Somani Hotels, which owns the Bell Hotel in Epping, have successfully challenged a High Court ruling. Today’s hearing saw both parties win the right to appeal, before also winning the appeals themselves.

Lord Justice Bean, sitting with Lady Justice Nicola Davies and Lord Justice Cobb, quashed an earlier injunction granted to Epping Forest District Council, saying: “We allow the appeals and we set aside the injunction imposed on 19 August 2025.”

This means asylum seekers will stay in the accommodation in Essex past 12 September. There are currently 138 asylum seekers being housed at the hotel.

Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA
Image:
Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA

Last week, the initial court ruling centred on the change in use of the premises without consent from the local authority.

But after the Home Office argued its case – which involved stating it had the right to appeal – judges have backed the government’s side.

The decision avoids a precedent for other councils to appeal against asylum hotels in their areas.

Council ‘will continue the fight’

A councillor for Epping said the “battle is not over” after the Court of Appeal ruling and vowed the council would “continue the fight”.

Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA
Image:
Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA

Speaking outside the London court, Ken Williamson, said: “We are deeply disappointed by the outcome of today’s hearing.

“The concern and motivation of Epping Forest District Council throughout has been the wellbeing of our local residents, where we had clarity and resolution, we now have doubt and confusion.”

The council could still be granted an injunction following a full hearing of the legal claim, which is due to be heard in October.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Reform UK’s deputy leader Richard Tice: Epping residents should feel ‘angry and frustrated’

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage also criticised the ruling, claiming that “illegal migrants have more rights than the British people under (Keir) Starmer”.

Tory leader Kemi Badenoch echoed this in her own statement, saying: “Keir Starmer has shown that he puts the rights of illegal immigrants above the rights of British people who just want to feel safe in their towns and communities.”

She also urged Conservative councillors seeking similar injunctions against asylum hotels to “keep going” despite the ruling.

Focal point of protests

Epping Forest District Council had asked for the injunction after the Bell Hotel became the focal point of several protests and counter-protests. It claimed its owner, Somani Hotels, had breached planning rules.

Lord Justice Stephen Eyre, who gave the original High Court decision, had said that while the council had not “definitively established” that the company had breached planning rules, “the strength of the claimant’s case is such that it weighs in favour” of granting the injunction.

Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July
Image:
Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July

Regular protests have been held outside the Bell Hotel since an asylum seeker housed there was accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in July.

Hadush Gerberslasie Kebatu, 38, denies two counts of sexual assault, one count of attempted sexual assault, one count of inciting a girl to engage in sexual activity, and one count of harassment without violence.

His trial has been taking place this week and verdicts are expected at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on 4 September.

A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A
Image:
A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A

After the Court of Appeal ruling, a small number of protesters gathered outside the Bell Hotel carrying England and Union flags, with police officers guarding the entrance to the hotel, which is gated off with metal fencing.

An England flag has been attached to a drainpipe outside the hotel, while England flags have also been painted onto signs and a speed camera outside the hotel.

Continue Reading

Politics

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Published

on

By

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Avalanche transaction growth topped all blockchain networks with 66%, as the smart-contract network saw more government implementation and renewed ETF applications.

Continue Reading

Politics

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in $100M fraud case

Published

on

By

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in 0M fraud case

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in 0M fraud case

Unicoin urged a New York judge to toss the SEC’s $100 million fraud case, arguing the regulator misquoted filings and relied on “snippets” taken out of context.

Continue Reading

Trending