Connect with us

Published

on

Scotland’s First Minister has invited Sir Keir Starmer to Edinburgh for talks on how their parties could co-operate following a general election.

Humza Yousaf said he believes the Labour leader “will undoubtedly be the next prime minister” – pointing to polls giving the Opposition a 20-point lead.

In a letter to Sir Keir, he said differing political views should not “prevent us being able to work together”.

Politics Live: ‘Disappointing’ for Israel to reject two-state solution

He wrote: “I hope you will accept this invitation to meet and that we can establish a working relationship in the interests of the people we represent.”

Previously, Mr Yousaf said the SNP’s conditions of working with Labour would be Sir Keir paving the way for a future Scottish independence referendum.

In his letter, published on Sunday, the Scottish first minister made clear independence is still a priority, but said there were other things they could work on – including reducing child poverty and strengthening relations between the UK and Scottish governments.

More from Politics

Speaking later to the BBC’s Sunday With Laura Kuenssberg show, he said: “When it comes to Keir Starmer being the next prime minister of the United Kingdom, which I think he absolutely will be, I should say I’m very willing to work with an incoming Labour government.

“I think there’s plenty that we can work on. There will be disagreements – the constitution perhaps being the obvious one.”

It follows rising tensions between the SNP and Westminster over the past year, after the government took the unprecedented step of blocking Holyrood’s gender reform bill – a move branded a “full-frontal attack” on Scottish parliament.

The SNP also want another referendum on independence – something both the Conservatives and Labour have rejected.

Asked what policy areas they could co-operate on, Mr Yousaf said he wanted to see Sir Keir commit to tackling child poverty by scrapping the two-child benefit cap.

The policy prevents parents from claiming child tax credits or universal credit for a third or subsequent child born after April 2017.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Humza Yousaf responds to the SNP defeat to Labour in the Rutherglen by-election

Mr Yousaf said scrapping it “would lift 250,000 children out of poverty across the UK, 15,000 children here in Scotland”.

He also called for the bedroom tax to be scrapped, saying it is “keeping too many people in poverty”.

Read more from Sky News:
SNP rejects using next election as ‘de facto’ referendum
Analysis: SNP in damage limitation mode

The next general election is not expected until the second half of this year.

Labour strategists believe they need a huge turnaround of votes north of the border if they want a majority in the House of Commons.

Polls have suggested the SNP’s political dominance in Scotland may, after 16 years, be on the wane – not just at the general election, but at the Holyrood elections in 2026 too.

Mr Yousaf said Labour does not need Scotland to win, saying he was “sure” Sir Keir’s party would gain the most seats when the nation goes to the polls.

He has previously said he will not use the election as a de facto independence referendum, in a shift away from the strategy employed by former first minister Nicola Sturgeon.

Ian Blackford, the former SNP Westminster leader, said on Sunday he believed his party could still turn things around – but urged it to drop attacks branding Labour and the Conservatives as the same.

“I think we have to honestly say to the people in Scotland: ‘Of course a Labour government is better for Scotland than a Tory government’,” he told Scotland on Sunday.

Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar acknowledged if his party does win, there will still be a “raging debate” about independence.

Rather than using a potential election victory to “endorse the union”, he said: “I want to persuade people that we can make Scotland work within a devolved settlement.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Woman whose son Martyn Hett died in Manchester Arena terror attack welcomes new law in his name

Published

on

By

Woman whose son Martyn Hett died in Manchester Arena terror attack welcomes new law in his name

There is a certain steel about a mother who has lost a child.

It’s hard to put your finger on, but perhaps after going through hell you re-emerge made of a different material to the rest of us.

Figen Murray has been utterly relentless after her son Martyn Hett was killed in the Manchester Arena terror attack at an Ariana Grande concert in May 2017.

When she worried that politicians’ support was wavering last year, she walked 200 miles from the place Martyn died to Downing Street – and needed a hip replacement after.

And on Thursday, Martyn’s Law – rules to better train staff and safeguard venues against terrorists – was passed by royal assent, finally becoming law.

I sat down with Figen just before she went into Number 10 Downing Street to meet the prime minister, and she told me after six years of campaigning, the moment “feels surreal”.

She continued: “The Manchester attack was a wake up call. But it also made question, who are these people who do these things? Why are they doing it? What are governments doing about it? And I realised the only way I could get the answers was to educate myself – so I did a masters in counter-terrorism.

More on Keir Starmer

I’ve recognised that people were radicalised. When you were a newborn baby, you were innocent but somebody poisoned your mind.

“There are people who try to groom young people into their ideology, and I want them to recognise where these people operate, the tricks they use, the things they say and how they can recognise themselves or others in the process of being radicalised and how to get out.”

Martyn Hett
Image:
Martyn Hett

She also supports the initiative to show the Netflix drama Adolescence in schools: “I think it’s absolutely important that young people see that programme and they learn more about it. It’s a good thing and I’m hoping they’re taking it further.”

There will be a debate – certainly – about the financial impact the legislation will have on venues, but the legislation has been welcomed by safety campaigners.

Emma Kay, co-founder of personal safety app WalkSafe which geo-fences events and stadiums, said: “The passing of Martyn’s Law is hugely progressive move that will keep young people safe on nights out.

“Our research has shown that 63% of women prefer to visit venues with safety initiatives in place. People want safer experiences and to know their friends and loved ones arrive home safely.”

Read more:
Martyn’s Law: Terrorism response bill named after Manchester Arena bombing victim becomes law

When I sat down with Figen, I asked her how Martyn would feel today.

“Knowing Martyn, the party animal he was, he’d throw the biggest party ever,” she said.

“He was full of life and lived life not just at 100 miles an hour, but 200 miles an hour.

“You would definitely know when he came through the door, and he had an incredible ability to make everyone feel that they are the most important person in that moment in his life. And I really miss that.”

You can watch Sophy Ridge’s full interview with Figen Murray on the Politics Hub at 1900 on Sky News.

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump’s pick for SEC chair makes it out of committee

Published

on

By

Trump’s pick for SEC chair makes it out of committee

Trump’s pick for SEC chair makes it out of committee

Lawmakers in the US Senate Banking Committee voted to advance the nomination of Paul Atkins to be a member of Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), paving the way for a full floor vote in the chamber.

In an April 3 executive session of the banking committee, lawmakers voted 13-11 for Atkins to serve two consecutive terms as an SEC commissioner, taking over former Chair Gary Gensler’s term and another term ending in 2031.

Atkins’ nomination will soon go to the Republican-controlled Senate for a full floor vote, where many experts suggest he is likely to be confirmed.

Politics, Senate, SEC, Bitcoin Regulation, Donald Trump

Senator Tim Scott addressing lawmakers on April 3. Source: US Senate Banking Committee

Before calling for a vote, committee chair Tim Scott said Atkins would bring “much-needed clarity for digital assets.” Ranking member Elizabeth Warren reiterated earlier concerns about Trump’s SEC pick helping “billionaire scammers” like former FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried and Tesla CEO Elon Musk “actively trying to destroy” federal agencies. 

This is a developing story, and further information will be added as it becomes available.

Continue Reading

Politics

US sanctions 8 crypto wallets tied to Garantex, Houthis

Published

on

By

US sanctions 8 crypto wallets tied to Garantex, Houthis

US sanctions 8 crypto wallets tied to Garantex, Houthis

The US Treasury Department sanctioned eight cryptocurrency wallet addresses linked to Russian crypto exchange Garantex and the Houthis.

The United States Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned eight crypto addresses that data from blockchain forensic firms Chainalysis and TRM Labs had linked to the organizations. Two are deposit addresses at major crypto platforms, while the other six are privately controlled.

Russia, Terrorism, Sanctions, Money Laundering

Visualization of transaction flow related to OFAC sanctions. Source: Chainalysis

The addresses in question reportedly moved nearly $1 billion worth of funds linked to sanctioned entities. Most of the transactions funded Houthi operations in Yemen and the Red Sea region.

Slava Demchuk, a crypto-focused money laundering specialist and United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime consultant told Cointelegraph that “the inclusion of Houthi-linked wallets reflects a broader recognition of crypto’s role in geopolitical conflicts and terrorism financing.” He added:

“The implications are far-reaching — compliance frameworks must adapt swiftly, attribution efforts will intensify, and decentralized platforms may face increased scrutiny.“

Demchuk highlighted that the situation reshapes the regulatory landscape. According to him, crypto “is now firmly within the scope of international security.

Who are the Houthis?

The Houthis, also known as Ansar Allah, are a Yemeni political and armed movement that emerged from the Zaidi Shia community. Originating as a revivalist and reformist group, they later became a major force in Yemen’s ongoing conflict.

Related: US DOJ says it seized Hamas crypto meant to finance terrorism

In recent years, the Houthis have engaged in attacks against both military and civilian vessels in the Red Sea with missiles and drones. In January, US President Donald Trump designated the group as a foreign terrorist organization.

The announcement noted that “the Houthis’ activities threaten the security of American civilians and personnel in the Middle East, the safety of our closest regional partners, and the stability of global maritime trade.” The group was recently struck by a US bombing campaign.

Related: Binance claims’ no special relationship’ with Hamas, argues to dismiss lawsuit

Garantex: Russia’s crypto laundromat

Garantex is a Russian crypto exchange that was sanctioned and shut down in early March after purportedly helping money-laundering efforts. At the time, Tether — the leading stablecoin operator and issuer of USDt — froze $27 million in USDt on the platform, forcing it to halt operations.

The platform has reportedly shifted millions of dollars as it sought to reboot under its new brand, “Grinex.

In mid-March, officials with India’s Central Bureau of Investigation announced the arrest of Lithuanian national Aleksej Bešciokov, who was alleged to have operated the cryptocurrency exchange Garantex.

The arrest of the alleged Garantex founder was based on US charges of conspiracy to commit money laundering, conspiracy to operate an unlicensed money-transmitting business and conspiracy to violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act.

Magazine: Financial nihilism in crypto is over — It’s time to dream big again

Continue Reading

Trending