Connect with us

Published

on

The families of the three victims killed by Valdo Calocane in Nottingham have spoken out after a judge ordered he be detained at a high-security hospital “very probably” for the rest of his life.

The mother of 19-year-old Barnaby Webber told Nottinghamshire Police “you have blood on your hands”, as she spoke outside the court on Thursday.

In a series of missed opportunities to prevent the killings last year, Calocane had previously been detained in hospital four times, and a warrant for his arrest had been issued months before his deadly rampage.

Undated handout photo issued by Nottinghamshire Police of Valdo Calocane. Prosecutors have accepted Calocane's pleas of not guilty to murder and guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility due to mental illness, for the murders of Grace O'Malley-Kumar, Barnaby Webber and Ian Coates, and the attempted murder of three others, in a spate of attacks in Nottingham on June 13 2023. Issue date: Tuesday January 23, 2024.
Image:
Valdo Calocane. Pic: Nottinghamshire Police


Emma Webber said: “True justice has not been served today. We as a devastated family have been let down by multiple agency failings and ineffectiveness.”

After the verdict, Nottinghamshire Police assistant chief constable Rob Griffin said there was not anything “obvious” to suggest the killer would launch the attacks.

Nottingham killer sentencing – as it happened

Mr Griffin cited “relatively low level assaults” by Calocane in the past which did not indicate he would commit the attacks on 13 June.

‘Mockery of the system’

James Coates, son of victim Ian Coates, said the killer had “got away with murder”.

Ian Coates son, James,  making a statement alongside relatives of the victims, outside Nottingham Crown Court
Pic: PA
Image:
James Coates. Pic: PA

He added Calocane had “made a mockery of the system” and if he had not been stopped when he was it “could have been one of the most catastrophic attacks this country has ever seen”.

He blamed the police, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and the health service for his father’s death, saying they all failed.

“All we can hope is that in due course some sort of justice will be served,” he said.

‘Absolute hell’

Father of 19-year-old Grace O’Malley-Kumar, Dr Sanjoy Kumar, described the last few days as “absolute hell”.

He said the family will “never come to terms” with her loss and how she died saying Grace was a “gift to us, she was a gift to the country”.

Grace O'Malley-Kumar's father Dr Sanjoy Kumar and brother James outside court
Image:
Grace O’Malley-Kumar’s father, Dr Sanjoy Kumar, and brother James outside court

Dr Kumar said the family never questioned Calocane’s diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia, but pointed to a “lack of toxicology [reports]” and “contemporaneous mental health assessments” during the case.

He said there were “missed opportunities” to “divert [Calocane’s] lethal calls” that will “forever play on our minds”.

Prosecutors accepted 32-year-old Calocane’s guilty pleas to manslaughter, not murder, on the basis of diminished responsibility. He also admitted three counts of attempted murder after hitting three pedestrians in a van he stole from Mr Coates.

Calocane repeatedly stabbed the teenagers with a dagger as they walked home after a night out to celebrate the end of their exams.

He also knifed school caretaker Mr Coates, 65, to death as he made his way to work at Huntingdon Academy in the early hours.

Barnaby Webber, Grace O'Malley-Kumar, Ian Coates
Image:
Ian Coates, Barnaby Webber and Grace O’Malley-Kumar. Pic: Family handouts


‘Foolishly’ trusted in the system

On the CPS, Ms Webber said the agency “did not consult us as has been reported – instead we have been rushed, hastened and railroaded”.

“We were presented with a fait accompli that the decision had been made to accept manslaughter charges,” she said.

Emma Webber, mother of Barnaby Webber, outside Nottingham Crown Court 
Pic: PA
Image:
Emma Webber said ‘true justice has not been served’. Pic: PA


Barnaby Webber's  father David Webber and brother Charlie Webber outside Nottingham Crown Court
Pic: PA
Image:
Barnaby Webber’s father David Webber and brother Charlie Webber. Pic: PA

“At no point during the previous five-and-a-half-months were we given any indication that this could conclude in anything other than murder.

“We trusted in our system, foolishly as it turns out.

“We do not dispute that the murderer is mentally unwell and has been for a number of years.

“However the pre-mediated planning, the collection of lethal weapons, hiding in the shadows and brutality of the attacks are that of an individual who knew exactly what he was doing.

“He knew entirely that it was wrong but he did it anyway.”

CPS explains manslaughter decision

The chief crown prosecutor for the East Midlands, Janine McKinney, said Calocane was assessed by three expert psychiatrists, all of whom said his actions were influenced by paranoid schizophrenia.

The condition had a “significant impact” on his actions and “impaired his ability to exercise self-control”, she said.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

CCTV shows final moments of teens before stabbing

It gave him a legal right to put forward a partial defence to murder and offer manslaughter pleas, Ms McKinney added.

On reviewing the evidence, the CPS concluded “there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction for murder, but there was for manslaughter and attempted murder”, Ms McKinney explained.

“That is why we accepted the pleas.”

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

UK

Boy dies after ‘getting into difficulty’ in lake in southeast London

Published

on

By

Boy dies after 'getting into difficulty' in lake in southeast London

A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.

Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.

The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.

“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.

The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.

The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.

In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.

More from UK

google street view inside Beckenham Place park, Lewisham where a 16 y/o boy is missing after getting into difficulty in a lake
Image:
Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon

Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.

The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.

It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”

Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.

Continue Reading

Trending