Connect with us

Published

on

Triple killer Valdo Calocane’s sentence could be referred to the Court of Appeal after the attorney general received a complaint arguing it’s too lenient.

Calocane stabbed to death Barnaby Webber, Grace O’Malley-Kumar and Ian Coates in Nottingham in June, and tried to kill three others with a van.

He was sentenced to detention in a high-security hospital after prosecutors accepted his manslaughter plea rather than pursuing a murder conviction.

The deal was done as experts agreed he had paranoid schizophrenia so wasn’t fully responsible for his actions.

The victims’ families have criticised the sentence – as well as authorities they say could have prevented the tragedy.

Speaking at court on Thursday, Mr Webber’s mother Emma said “true justice has not been served” and accused a police chief of having “blood on your hands”.

“This man [Calocane] made a mockery of the system and he has got away with murder,” added Mr Coates’ son James.

More on Nottingham Attacks

A spokesman for Attorney General Victoria Prentis, the government’s chief lawyer, confirmed a referral had been received shortly on Thursday.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Justice has not been served’

She now has 28 days to decide whether to refer the case to the Court of Appeal for judges to decide if the sentence is appropriate.

However, it’s understood the attorney general is unlikely to look at whether the correct charge was pursued.

It’s not known who made the referral, but any person or institution can ask for a review.

The sentencing judge, Mr Justice Turner, said 32-year-old Colocane would “very probably” be detained in a high-security hospital for the rest of his life.

Families were united outside court as they accused the Crown Prosecution Service, police and the NHS of multiple failures.

Barnaby Webber, Grace O'Malley-Kumar, Ian Coates
Image:
Barnaby Webber, Grace O’Malley-Kumar, Ian Coates. Pic: Family handouts

They said prosecutors had already made up their minds when they informed them they would accept Calocane’s manslaughter plea.

“At no point during the previous five-and-a-half-months were we given any indication that this could conclude in anything other than murder,” said Mrs Webber.

‘He knew it was wrong’

She said although Calocane was mentally unwell, the attacks were premeditated and “he knew entirely that it was wrong but he did it anyway”.

Nottingham Crown Court heard he had previously been detained in hospital four times under mental health laws and had a history of refusing his medication.

Calocane was also arrested for assaulting a police officer in September 2021, involved in criminal damage and once visited MI5 headquarters to ask them to stop “controlling him”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

CCTV shows teens’ final moments before stabbing

Rob Griffin, Nottinghamshire Police’s assistant chief constable, admitted “we should have done more to arrest him” after he failed to appear in court for assaulting the officer.

However, he said it was unlikely Calocane would have been jailed and there wasn’t anything “obvious” to suggest he would commit the savage attacks.

Calocane’s arrest warrant was still outstanding at the time of the killings.

Students Barnaby Webber and Grace O’Malley-Kumar, both 19, died after being stabbed repeatedly as they walked home in the early hours of 13 June.

Grace tried to save her friend but was also attacked.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

New footage shows Calocane’s arrest

Calocane walked away calmly and later stabbed school caretaker Ian Coates 15 times, stealing the 65-year-old’s van and using it to knock over three people.

Calocane admitted attempted murder over the van attack.

Police tasered him soon after and found two knives and a scaffolding pole in his backpack.

The court heard Calocane would hear voices telling him to kill people or his family would be hurt. However, he wasn’t taking his prescribed medication.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has declined to back calls for a public inquiry into alleged failings.

However, he said it was “important that all the relevant agencies look back to ensure all reasonable steps that could have been taken were taken and if there are any lessons to be learned that we do so”.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

UK

Boy dies after ‘getting into difficulty’ in lake in southeast London

Published

on

By

Boy dies after 'getting into difficulty' in lake in southeast London

A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.

Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.

The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.

“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.

The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.

The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.

In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.

More from UK

google street view inside Beckenham Place park, Lewisham where a 16 y/o boy is missing after getting into difficulty in a lake
Image:
Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon

Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.

The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.

It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”

Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.

Continue Reading

Trending