The Prince of Wales has paid tribute to his wife’s creativity on a visit to a youth group in London.
“My wife is the arty one,” the heir to the throne said, as he decorated biscuits with a group of children at a centre in Shepherd’s Bush, west London.
The WEST centre, which stands for Where Everyone Sticks Together, was named by the youngsters who use the £12m facility, which officially opens in April.
The future King also played pool and basketball with the children and teenagers before joining a group working on a mental health project.
Image: The Prince of Wales decorates biscuits during the visit. Pic: PA
Image: The Prince of Wales during a visit to WEST. Pic: PA
He asked the teens: “How much time do you spend on your phone a day?” adding with a laugh, “We can all be honest about this.”
When one girl said she spends 15 a hours day on her phone, William, 41, replied: “That’s quite a lot – I bet you feel better coming here.”
The prince returned to the topic later as he took part in the biscuit decorating. “Grown-ups are guilty of it too,” he said. “We[‘ve] got to be better on our phones too… We spend ages on our phones.”
In a statement, Kate, 42, said: “Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing.
“I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused.
“I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother’s Day. C.”
The original image, which featured Kate surrounded by Princess Charlotte, Prince George and Prince Louis, was released to mark Mother’s Day and was taken by Prince William.
Image: Agency Reuters issued a ‘kill’ notice for the image on Sunday night. Pic: Reuters
Kensington Palace has said it will not be issuing the original photo.
The controversy came amid speculation about Kate’s health, which has swirled online since she spent a brief period in hospital for a planned operation in January.
The Princess of Wales has not attended an official engagement since she joined other members of the Royal Family for a walk on Christmas Day though she was seen briefly on Monday, shortly after the statement was released.
Image: Kate and William at the Christmas Day service with Charles and Camilla. Pic: AP Photo
Details of her condition have not been disclosed but Kensington Palace previously said it was not cancer-related and that Kate wished her personal medical information to remain private.
At the time of her operation, Sky News understood that Kate’s recuperation would likely take between two and three months.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.
A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.
Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.
The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.
“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.
The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.
The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.
In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.
More from UK
Image: Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon
Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.
The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.
It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.
“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”
Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.