Three people have been killed after a fierce storm system unleashed suspected tornadoes in a number of US states.
Homes and businesses were damaged in parts of Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky on Thursday.
The fatalities in Ohio were confirmed by chief deputy Joe Kopus of the Logan County Sheriff’s Department in Bellefontaine, who warned more fatalities would probably be discovered.
Meanwhile, Indiana State Police said there were “many significant injuries” after a tornado tore through the community of Winchester.
“I’m shaken, it’s overwhelming,” said Winchester mayor Bob McCoy. “I heard what sounded like a train and then I started hearing sirens. I’ve never heard that sound before, I don’t want to hear it again.”
The suspected tornado damaged a Walmart store and a Taco Bell in Winchester, Randolph County sheriff Art Moystner said.
Around the same time as the tornado hit Winchester, another suspected twister touched down around 85 miles east in Ohio, hitting the southern end of Indian Lake.
“As far as we know, we have lots of injuries. We don’t know the extent of the injuries,” said Sheri Timmers, a spokesperson for Logan County.
Several buildings in the Indian Lake area were damaged, Ms Timmers said, adding the full extent of the destruction was still being assessed.
Image: Damaged houses in Lakeview, Ohio. Pic: WSYX/AP
Village ‘completely demolished’
The village of Lakeview was “completely demolished,” said Amber Fagan, president and chief executive of the Indian Lake Area Chamber of Commerce, who added that homes and campgrounds were hit hard by the tornado.
“There’s places burning,” she said. “There’s power lines through people’s windows.”
Image: The aftermath of the severe weather system seen near Indian Lake in Ohio. Pic: WSYX/AP
‘Large and extremely dangerous tornado’ warning
In Ohio’s Huron County, emergency management officials posted on Facebook to say there was a “confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado” near Plymouth – some 75 miles northeast of Indian Lake.
To the west of Winchester in Delaware County, emergency management officials said initial assessments suggested up to half of the structures in the small town of Selma had been damaged by a possible tornado and minor injuries had been reported.
‘A whole bunch of damage’
In Kentucky, Trimble County Emergency Management director Andrew Stark said the storms had damaged at least 50 structures, including homes, leaving “a whole bunch of damage,” he told the Courier Journal of Louisville.
Large pieces of hail were also reported in parts of the St Louis area on Thursday afternoon and there were unconfirmed reports of tornadoes in Jefferson County, Missouri, and Monroe County, Illinois, but no immediate reports of damage.
Worldwide stock markets have plummeted for the second day running as the fallout from Donald Trump’s global tariffs continues.
While European and Asian markets suffered notable falls, American indexes were the worst hit, with Wall Street closing to a sea of red on Friday following Thursday’s rout – the worst day in US markets since the COVID-19 pandemic.
All three of the US’s major indexes were down by more than 5% at market close; The Dow Jones Industrial Average plummeted 5.5%, the S&P 500 was 5.97% lower, and the Nasdaq Composite slipped 5.82%.
The Nasdaq was also 22% below its record-high set in December, which indicates a bear market.
Ever since the US president announced the tariffs on Wednesday evening, analysts estimate that around $4.9trn (£3.8trn) has been wiped off the value of the global stock market.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
Mr Trump has remained unapologetic as the markets struggle, posting in all-caps on Truth Social before the markets closed that “only the weak will fail”.
The UK’s leading stock market, the FTSE 100, also suffered its worst daily drop in more than five years, closing 4.95% down, a level not seen since March 2020.
And the Japanese exchange Nikkei 225 dropped by 2.75% at end of trading, down 20% from its recent peak in July last year.
Image: US indexes had the worst day of trading since the COVID-19 pandemic. Pic: Reuters
Trump holds trade deal talks – reports
It comes as a source told CNN that Mr Trump has been in discussions with Vietnamese, Indianand Israelirepresentatives to negotiate bespoke trade deals that could alleviate proposed tariffs on those countries before a deadline next week.
The source told the US broadcaster the talks were being held in advance of the reciprocal levies going into effect next week.
Vietnam faced one of the highest reciprocal tariffs announced by the US president this week, with 46% rates on imports. Israeli imports face a 17% rate, and Indian goods will be subject to 26% tariffs.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
China – hit with 34% tariffs on imported goods – has also announced it will issue its own levy of the same rate on US imports.
Mr Trump said China “played it wrong” and “panicked – the one thing they cannot afford to do” in another all-caps Truth Social post earlier on Friday.
Later, on Air Force One, the US president told reporters that “the beauty” of the tariffs is that they allow for negotiations, referencing talks with Chinese company ByteDance on the sale of social media app TikTok.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
6:50
Tariffs: Xi hits back at Trump
He said: “We have a situation with TikTok where China will probably say, ‘We’ll approve a deal, but will you do something on the tariffs?’
“The tariffs give us great power to negotiate. They always have.”
Global financial markets gave a clear vote of no-confidence in President Trump’s economic policy.
The damage it will do is obvious: costs for companies will rise, hitting their earnings.
The consequences will ripple throughout the global economy, with economists now raising their expectations for a recession, not only in the US, but across the world.
The court ruled to uphold the impeachment saying the conservative leader “violated his duty as commander-in-chief by mobilising troops” when he declared martial law.
The president was also said to have taken actions “beyond the powers provided in the constitution”.
Image: Demonstrators stayed overnight near the constitutional court. Pic: AP
Supporters and opponents of the president gathered in their thousands in central Seoul as they awaited the ruling.
The 64-year-old shocked MPs, the public and international allies in early December when he declared martial law, meaning all existing laws regarding civilians were suspended in place of military law.
Image: The court was under heavy police security guard ahead of the announcement. Pic: AP
After suddenly declaring martial law, Mr Yoon sent hundreds of soldiers and police officers to the National Assembly.
He has argued that he sought to maintain order, but some senior military and police officers sent there have told hearings and investigators that Mr Yoon ordered them to drag out politicians to prevent an assembly vote on his decree.
His presidential powers were suspended when the opposition-dominated assembly voted to impeach him on 14 December, accusing him of rebellion.
The unanimous verdict to uphold parliament’s impeachment and remove Mr Yoon from office required the support of at least six of the court’s eight justices.
South Korea must hold a national election within two months to find a new leader.
Lee Jae-myung, leader of the main liberal opposition Democratic Party, is the early favourite to become the country’s next president, according to surveys.