Connect with us

Published

on

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson is hoping to deliver a knockout blow with his new cannabis product – edibles in the shape of nibbled ears.

The bizarre products are a nod to when Tyson infamously bit off part of the ear of his opponent Evander Holyfield in their WBA Heavyweight Championship bout in Nevada in 1997.

The edibles have been released by Tyson 2.0 – a cannabis company founded by the iconic boxer known as “Iron Mike”.

They come in flavours including black eye berry, sour apple punch and watermelon.

Mike Tyson bites the ear of Evander Holyfield during the third round of their Nevada fight. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Mike Tyson bites the ear of Evander Holyfield during the third round of their Nevada fight. Pic: Reuters

The edibles are available from the company’s online store, but have already been spotted in dispensaries in New York.

The 57-year-old is reportedly planning a promotional tour at shops next month, including an event in Times Square.

Not everyone in the cannabis industry is said to be enthused about the release of Tyson’s product.

More on Mike Tyson

The former boxer was convicted of rape in 1992 and has also been accused of domestic violence.

Stu Zakim, a publicist for the cannabis dispensary The Travel Agency in Union Square, told the New York Post: “They’re honouring this convicted rapist and wife beater as a role model. We should use much better role models.”

Tyson’s 1997 bout against Holyfield, the second time they had met in the ring, became known as The Bite Fight following Iron Mike’s act of partial cannibalism.

Tyson’s boxing licence was revoked by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and he was fined $3m.

Holyfield reacts after having part of his ear bitten off. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Holyfield reacts after having part of his ear bitten off. Pic: Reuters

He retired from professional boxing in 2005 with 50 wins, including 44 knockouts, and six losses.

Earlier this month he announced he will be fighting YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul in a bout that will be shown live on Netflix later this year.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Kevin Bacon visits scene of Footloose four decades later

Published

on

By

Kevin Bacon visits scene of Footloose four decades later

Actor Kevin Bacon has returned to the US high school where his movie Footloose was filmed more than 40 years ago.

The 65-year-old visited Payson High School in the state of Utah to greet students following a years-long campaign which started on social media under the hashtag #BaconToPayson.

According to news reports last month, the school had gone Footloose-crazy – holding a Footloose movie night, staging a Footloose musical, renaming the annual Mr Payson pageant after the actor, and even holding a competition for essays persuading Bacon to visit.

The mission turned into a community-wide campaign to partner with the actor’s charity, with students helping to put together 5,000 care packages for SixDegrees.

Kevin Bacon visits Payson High School, where Footloose was filmed. Pic: NBC
Image:
Students welcome Kevin Bacon. Pic: NBC

Actor Kevin Bacon, centre, helps fill care packages for his charity in Payson, Utah, while visiting the Utah high school where Footloose was filmed. Pic: Jesse Sorenson via AP
Image:
Kevin Bacon helps fill care packages for his charity. Pic: Jesse Sorenson/AP

And on Saturday, the actor came to help about 700 students and 300 community members fill the care packages.

“You talked me into it,” he said to the students.

“It’s great to see that kind of commitment to anything.

More from Ents & Arts

“I also think that it’s amazing to see the power that this movie has had to bring people together.”

In March, when he accepted the invitation to visit, he said: “I have been so impressed with everything that has been going on there with this crazy idea to get me back, so thank you, thank you, and I’m gonna come. I gotta come.”

Kevin Bacon visits Payson High School, where Footloose was filmed. Pic: NBC
Image:
Pic: NBC

In Footloose, Bacon played a teenager from Chicago who moved to a small town and fought its ban on dancing.

The town of Payson, about 60 miles south of Salt Lake City, was the film’s setting.

Some of its 21,000 residents remember being extras and can point out parts of the town used in the film.

At the end of the day, Payson High School students held their prom.

It is likely to be the last prom at the school before its outdated buildings are torn down next year.

The theme of the prom? Footloose, of course.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Spice Girls reunite for Victoria Beckham’s 50th birthday with Stop singalong

Published

on

By

Spice Girls reunite for Victoria Beckham's 50th birthday with Stop singalong

The Spice Girls have reunited for one night only in a bar for Victoria Beckham’s birthday.

The fashion designer and singer – famously also known as Posh Spice – celebrated with her bandmates at Oswald’s club in Mayfair, London, on Saturday, after turning 50 on Wednesday last week.

David Beckham had a front row seat to the reunion when Victoria, Melanie Brown, Emma Bunton, Geri Horner and Melanie Chisholm sang their single Stop.

The five grinned as they danced and performed the track while David, who filmed the throwback moment, smiled and sang along.

Posting the clip on Instagram on Sunday, Victoria called it “the best night ever” and wrote the hashtag “#SpiceUpYourLife”.

The last time all five Spice Girls performed together was at the closing ceremony of the 2012 Olympics in London.

The Spice Girls perform during the closing ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium, August 12, 2012. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth (BRITAIN - Tags: SPORT OLYMPICS ENTERTAINMENT)
Image:
Victoria declined to join the Spice Girls last tour in 2019. Pic: Reuters

Before her birthday celebrations, Victoria posted on Instagram that she felt “so incredibly blessed to have reached this milestone” and added she was grateful for the “unconditional love and support” of David.

More on Spice Girls

While the girl group also went on tour in 2019, Victoria declined to join them as she focused on her fashion brand.

She also told American television presenter Ellen DeGeneres the same year that “it just didn’t feel like the right thing to do,” but said: “I’ll always be Posh Spice, always.”

Singer Marc Anthony, who is godfather to Victoria and David’s son Cruz, and actress Eva Longoria – godmother to their daughter Harper – also attended the party.

Other celebrities out for Posh Spice’s birthday included Tom Cruise and Salma Hayek, as well as Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Jason Statham and Gordon Ramsay.

Read more from Sky News:
A look back after Wannabe turned 25
Harry Styles’ stalker jailed
Is ‘Drake’s new track’ actually him?

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

It comes after Melanie B – also known as Scary Spice – hinted at another Spice Girls reunion in an interview with Reuters, this time with Victoria joining in.

“I can’t say exactly… but us five have been talking… for a long, long time now, many, many months,” she said.

“So, we’re going to announce something soon… and I know the fans are not going to be disappointed. It’s going to be very exciting.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Rebel Moon: Zack Snyder and Ed Skrein on ‘mad’ reaction and ‘media storms’ following first movie

Published

on

By

Rebel Moon: Zack Snyder and Ed Skrein on 'mad' reaction and 'media storms' following first movie

British actor Ed Skrein says he hasn’t paid attention to any of the reactions Rebel Moon has received online.

The Deadpool star told Sky News: “The weather system of media storms does not affect me, I don’t live in the media.”

Ed Skrein as Atticus Noble in Rebel Moon. Pic: Netflix
Image:
Ed Skrein as Atticus Noble in Rebel Moon. Pic: Netflix

The first instalment of Zack Snyder’s new franchise had a limited theatrical release before being added to Netflix in December last year.

The movie was the recipient of some less-favourable reviews, a 21% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes and it averaged a two out of five-star score from over 100,000 accounts on Letterboxd.

The actor, who plays Admiral Atticus Noble in the franchise, says it’s the art itself that maintains his attention.

“The process of filming is my bit, you know, when we were out there, that’s my part.”

He adds: “I’ll pass the baton on and let people run with it.”

More on Netflix

Read more from Sky News:
Swift reveals ‘secret’ double album in ‘2am surprise’
The female gamers competing for thousands of pounds

Skrein returns for Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver despite his character meeting his fate in the first film.

“My friend is a painter from Andalusia in Spain and said to me the other day, when we make art, it’s like putting a message in a bottle and you throw it out and occasionally after a while you get a message back or you just get your bottle back.”

He continues: “In filmmaking, I thought about it, it’s like you have your initial reaction but then five years later, 10 years later, it’s like, now we can judge it.”

Djimon Hounsou as Titus and Staz Nair as Tarak. Pic: Clay Enos/Netflix
Image:
Djimon Hounsou as Titus and Staz Nair as Tarak. Pic: Clay Enos/Netflix

Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver continues with the storyline of orphan and ex-soldier Kora, played by Sofia Boutella, who looks to protect a peaceful colony from the ruthless Mother World.

Inspired by a rejection

Aside from Skrein, the cast includes Game Of Thrones Staz Nair, Gladiator actor Djimon Hounsou and The Age of Adeline’s Michiel Huisman.

The Rebel Moon franchise came into being after director Zack Snyder pitched the idea to Disney as a Star Wars film, but was rejected.

Pic: Clay Enos/Netflix
Image:
Rhian Rees as The Queen, Cary Elwes as The King, Sofia Boutella as Kora and Stella Grace Fitzgerald as Princess Issa. Pic: Clay Enos/Netflix

He signed an agreement with Netflix to create an entirely new franchise with the plan to extend into other formats like comic books.

The Army Of The Dead director recently went viral for his comments comparing the success of the first Rebel Moon film to Barbie, suggesting to the Joe Rogan podcast that “more people probably saw Rebel Moon than saw Barbie in the theatre”.

‘Everyone got mad at me’

Speaking to Sky News, he stands by the statement and says he’s “really impressed” by Netflix‘s business model.

Zack Snyder talking at the Rebel Moon Part Two: Songs Of The Rebellion Album release event in New York. Pic: Noam Galai/Netflix
Image:
Zack Snyder talking at the Rebel Moon Part Two: Songs Of The Rebellion Album release event in New York. Pic: Noam Galai/Netflix

He explains: “I think that was what I was getting at with the whole Barbie thing.”

Then adding: “Everyone got mad at me, but I’m just telling you what I heard, like, sorry if Netflix has such a giant audience. The point of what I was getting at was that the pipeline is so robust that it’s unbelievable. What a filmmaker wants is the movies to be seen.”

A third film hasn’t yet been greenlit by Netflix but the storyline and recent interviews with the director suggest there could be more on the horizon for Rebel Moon fans.

Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver is available to stream now on Netflix.

Continue Reading

Trending