Connect with us

Published

on

The Scottish government has ditched its flagship target of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 75% by 2030 after accepting that it is now “out of reach”.

However, an “unwavering commitment” to achieve net zero by 2045 will remain.

Mairi McAllan, minister for wellbeing economy, net zero and energy, announced the move in an update to Holyrood on Thursday as she set out the government’s next steps on tackling climate change.

The decision comes following a damning report from the Climate Change Committee (CCC) last month which said the 2030 target was now “beyond what is credible”.

Ms McAllan said: “In this challenging context of cuts and UK backtracking, we accept the CCCs recent re-articulation that this parliament’s interim 2030 target is out of reach.

“We must now act to chart a course to 2045 at a pace and scale that is feasible, fair and just.”

Cabinet Secretary for Wellbeing, Economy, Net Zero and Energy Mairi McAllan ahead of making a statement announcing a new package of climate action measures which she says we will deliver with partners to support Scotland's "just transition to net zero" at the Scottish Parliament in Holyrood. The Scottish Government is ditching a climate change target committing it to reducing emissions by 75% by 2030, the country's Net Zero Secretary confirmed. Picture date: Thursday April 18, 2024.
Image:
Mairi McAllan, minister for wellbeing economy, net zero and energy. Pic: PA

Scotland has missed eight of the past 12 annual targets for cutting planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions.

More on Scotland

The CCC said in order for Scotland to achieve its goal of cutting harmful emissions by 75% by 2030, the rate of emission reduction in most sectors would need to increase by a factor of nine in the years up to the end of the decade.

The Scottish government was the first in the world to declare a climate emergency.

Ms McAllan set out a new package of climate action measures.

The Scottish government intends to:
• Triple the number of electric vehicle charge points across Scotland – an increase of around 24,000 – by 2030.
• Explore a new national integrated ticketing system for public transport, which would enable passengers to use one system for all elements of a journey.
• Work with businesses to support the transition away from petrol and diesel vans.
• Take forward a pilot scheme with a number of farms to establish future appropriate uptake of methane-suppressing feed products or additives. Proportionate carbon audits will also be required by farms receiving public support by 2028 at the latest.
• Accelerate its regional land use partnerships, with up to three new areas coming into the initiative over the next year.
• Accelerate peatland restoration by investigating how partial re-wetting can co-exist with continued agricultural activity and access to support, including investment of up to £1m in pilot projects.
• Launch a consultation this summer on carbon land tax on the largest estates, considering regulatory and fiscal changes that could further incentivise peatland restoration, afforestation and renewable energy production.
• Consider the recommendation from the green heat finance taskforce to review and publish, by the end of 2024, analysis of how non-domestic rates reliefs can better support Holyrood’s climate ambitions and encourage investment in energy efficiency and clean heating systems.
• Publish its final energy strategy and just transition plan this summer, followed by draft plans for transport, agriculture and land use, and buildings and construction. After the publication of a just transition plan for Grangemouth, the government will co-develop a just transition plan for Mossmorran.
• Redouble efforts to ensure net zero is fully considered in its workforce, spending, policy development and structures, starting with the full rollout of a net zero assessment in the Scottish government from the end of 2024.
• Work with COSLA to understand wider public sector spend and opportunities for action.
• Propose the establishment of a four nations climate response group, with a remit including climate financing and the balance of reserved and devolved powers.

The climate gloves are off

The climate gloves are off in a tale as old as time. Holyrood vs Westminster: the Green edition.

The SNP and its former leader Nicola Sturgeon stood on the global stage and won plaudits for their bold ambitions to help the slowdown in environmental doom.

Ms Sturgeon basked in a standing ovation when she boasted that Scotland was the first country on the planet to declare a “climate emergency”. But was it all talk? Was it without real substance?

The reality is the Edinburgh government, which includes Green Party ministers, has failed to hit its own targets for years and has faced claims of over promising and under delivering.

At Holyrood on Thursday, ministers climbed down from their big plans of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 75% by the end of the decade while lashing out at cuts from Downing Street making it more difficult.

The reality is the fallout of Rishi Sunak’s backpedalling last year on the UK’s climate targets has impacted what Scotland can deliver within its constraints. Edinburgh was, in part, pinning plans on consequential cash from London.

But, is that the full story? Some would say the separate tartan targets were far from achievable.

Humza Yousaf told Sky News he is fully committed to net zero by 2045 which is still five years ahead of Westminster. It feels a political world away to say whether that date will also fall victim to tweaks and changes.

Nevertheless, it reveals the road to net zero continues to throw up surprises along the way.

Ms McAllan said the “severe budgetary restrictions imposed by the UK government” and the “continuing constraints of devolution” meant the Scottish government was trying to deliver “societal and economic transformation with one hand tied behind our back”.

She warned “full delivery” of Holyrood’s plans would depend on Westminster “reversing the 9% cut to our capital budget”.

Ms McAllan said: “This government and parliament rightly has high ambitions, and it is beyond doubt that investing now in net zero is the right thing for our environment, our society and our economy. But we are being held back.

“So, I am asking MSPs across this chamber to work with us to call on the UK government to reverse Scotland’s capital cut.”

Read more:
An uncomfortable truth about climate targets

Click to subscribe to the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts

Scottish Greens co-leader Patrick Harvie said he was “angry and disappointed” over the decision.

He added: “We must see urgent and accelerated climate action across all areas and levels of government, and those parties who vote for targets but then block the action needed to reach them will have no credibility.

“I have no doubt that if successive Scottish and UK governments had taken the actions needed at the time, as Greens consistently urged, we would be on track for that 2030 target.

“The fact that we aren’t is exactly why we need to focus on delivering real change and ramp up climate action.”

Scottish Green party co leaders Patrick Harvie and Lorna Slater look on as Cabinet Secretary for Wellbeing, Economy, Net Zero and Energy Mairi McAllan arrives to make a statement announcing a new package of climate action measures which she says we will deliver with partners to support Scotland's "just transition to net zero" alongside at the Scottish Parliament in Holyrood. The Scottish Government is ditching a climate change target committing it to reducing emissions by 75% by…
Image:
Lorna Slater and Patrick Harvie, Scottish Greens co-leaders, and Ms McAllan on Thursday.

Friends of the Earth Scotland branded the announcement “the worst environmental decision in the history of the Scottish parliament”.

Imogen Dow, head of campaigns, said: “Instead of using the past decade to deliver warm homes, reliable public transport and a fair transition away from fossil fuels, inept, short-termist politicians have kept millions of people trapped in the broken status quo that only benefits big polluters.”

Ms Dow called for the delayed Climate Change Plan to be published and urged the government to apologise for their “colossal climate failure”.

She added: “Instead of significant response and a ramping up of action, the Scottish government has presented a weak package of re-heated ideas, many of which were already pledged years ago and never delivered.”

The head of Oxfam Scotland described it as a “reprehensible retreat”.

Jamie Livingstone added: “With scientists linking deadly heatwaves in West Africa to climate change and Dubai drowning in a deluge of rain, the urgency of climate action couldn’t be clearer.

“The announcement of largely recycled measures represents baby steps forward rather than the giant leaps needed and are a thinly veiled distraction from ministers’ failure to deliver their existing climate commitments.”

First Minister Humza Yousaf with Smart Green Shipping CEO Diane Gilpin during the launch of FastRig wingsail, at Hunterston Parc near West Kilbride. Created by Smart Green Shipping, the Fastrig wingsail is intended to be retrofitted on the decks of tankers and bulk carriers and can be raised or lowered as needed. Picture date: Wednesday April 17, 2024.
Image:
First Minister Humza Yousaf with Smart Green Shipping CEO Diane Gilpin. Pic: PA

Diane Gilpin, CEO and founder of Smart Green Shipping, met with Humza Yousaf on Wednesday as the first minister officially “launched” a 20-metre wingsail that will take to the seas for tests later this year.

It is hoped wingsails will help transform the way many commercial ships are powered and reduce fuel emissions.

Ms Gilpin said Holyrood’s rollback was “disappointing”, but “targets are just that – targets”.

She added: “We need to focus on solutions that are driving us towards net zero.

“Scotland is still setting an example for other countries, with initiatives in place to fund and support first-movers and a great deal of ambition and collaboration, including the citizens’ Climate Assembly, designed to engage the public in making decisions to tackle climate change.

“By continuing its focus on tangible solutions, Scotland will regain its status as a leader in net zero.”

Continue Reading

Politics

US House committee passes stablecoin-regulating STABLE Act

Published

on

By

US House committee passes stablecoin-regulating STABLE Act

US House committee passes stablecoin-regulating STABLE Act

Update (April 3, 5:43 am UTC): This article has been updated to add information on the STABLE Act and GENIUS Act.

The US House Financial Services Committee has passed a Republican-backed stablecoin framework bill, which will now head to the House floor for a full vote.

The Committee passed the Stablecoin Transparency and Accountability for a Better Ledger Economy, or STABLE Act, with a 32-17 vote on April 2, with six Democrats voting in favor.

The bill was introduced on Feb. 6 by committee Chair French Hill and the chair of its Digital Assets Subcommittee, Bryan Steil — reportedly drafted with the help of the world’s largest stablecoin issue, Tether.

US House committee passes stablecoin-regulating STABLE Act

Source: Financial Services GOP

The bill would provide rules around payment stablecoins, a crypto token tied to a currency such as the US dollar, and aims to ensure issuers give information about their business and how they back their tokens.

During an earlier markup session, the committee’s leading Democrat, Maxine Waters, who later voted against the bill, criticized her Republican peers for “setting an unacceptable and dangerous precedent” with the STABLE Act.

She said President Donald Trump could use the bill to allow his family’s stablecoin to be used in government payments, and argued the bill validates Trump “and his insiders’ efforts to write rules of the road that will enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else.”

In late March, the Trump family’s World Liberty Financial crypto venture launched a stablecoin, World Liberty Financial USD (USD1). Meanwhile, the US Housing Department, which oversees social housing, was reportedly looking to experiment with using stablecoins for some of its functions.

Stablecoin GENIUS Act also weaves through Congress 

Other stablecoin-related bills are also working their way through Congress, including the Republican-led Guiding and Establishing National Innovation for US Stablecoins, or GENIUS Act, which lays out oversight and reserve rules for issuers.

Related: Crypto has a regulatory capture problem in Washington — or does it?

The US Senate Banking Committee voted through the GENIUS Act in an 18-6 vote on March 13, after Senator Bill Hagerty, one of the bill’s co-sponsors, updated it following consultation with the Committee’s Democrats.

Before the vote, Democratic Senator Kirsten Gillibrand said the updated GENIUS Act made “significant improvements to a number of important provisions” in areas such as consumer protections and authorized stablecoin issuers.

Both the STABLE Act and GENIUS Act will now wait until debate time on the floor of the House and Senate, respectively, before they head for a floor vote.

Crypto journalist Eleanor Terrett reported on X that two unnamed crypto lobbyists said there is likely to be “a coordinated push behind the scenes over the next few weeks to get the two bills to mirror each other, as there are still some differences between them.”

Doing so would “avoid having to set up a so-called conference committee which is formed so members from both chambers can negotiate to create a final version of the bill everyone agrees on,” she added.

Magazine: How crypto laws are changing across the world in 2025

Continue Reading

Politics

‘My lawyers are ready’ for questions about corruption claims, ex-minister tells Sky News

Published

on

By

'My lawyers are ready' for questions about corruption claims, ex-minister tells Sky News

Tulip Siddiq has told Sky News her “lawyers are ready” to handle any formal questions about allegations she is involved in corruption in Bangladesh.

Asked whether she regrets apparent links with the Bangladeshi Awami League political party, Ms Siddiq said “why don’t you look at my legal letter and see if I have any questions to answer… [the Bangladeshi authorities] have not once contacted me and I’m waiting to hear from them”.

The London MP resigned as a Treasury minister in January after being named in several corruption inquiries in Bangladesh.

In her first public comments since leaving government, Ms Siddiq said “there’s been allegations for months on end and no one has contacted me”.

Last month, the interim leader of Bangladesh told Sky News the MP had “wealth left behind” in the country “and should be made responsible”.

Lawyers acting for Ms Siddiq wrote to the Bangladeshi Anti Corruption Commission (ACC) several weeks ago saying the allegations were “false and vexatious”.

The letter said the ACC must put questions to Ms Siddiq “by no later than 25 March 2025” or “we shall presume that there are no legitimate questions to answer”.

More on Bangladesh

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Staff from the NCA visited Bangladesh as part of initial work to support the interim government in the country.

In a post online today, the former minister said the deadline had expired and the authorities had not replied.

Sky News has approached the Bangladeshi government for comment.

The allegations against Ms Siddiq are focused on links to her aunt Sheikh Hasina – who served as the prime minister of Bangladesh for 20 years.

Ms Hasina was forced to flee the country in August following weeks of deadly protests.

She is accused of becoming an autocrat, with politically-motivated arrests, extra-judicial killings and other abuses allegedly happening on her watch. Hasina claims it’s all a political witch hunt.

Electrocuted on their genitals and mouths sewn up: Inside Bangladesh’s ‘death squad’ jails

Ms Siddiq was found to have lived in several London properties that had links back to the Awami League political party that her aunt still leads.

She referred herself to the prime minister’s standards adviser Sir Laurie Magnus who said he had “not identified evidence of improprieties” but added it was “regrettable” Ms Siddiq had not been more alert to the “potential reputational risks” of the ties to her aunt.

Ms Siddiq said continuing in her role would be “a distraction” for the government but insisted she had done nothing wrong.

Continue Reading

Politics

Former New York governor advised OKX over $505M federal probe: Report

Published

on

By

Former New York governor advised OKX over 5M federal probe: Report

Former New York governor advised OKX over 5M federal probe: Report

Cryptocurrency exchange OKX reportedly hired former New York Governor Andrew Cuomo to advise it over the federal probe that resulted in the firm pleading guilty to several violations and agreeing to pay $505 million in fines and penalties.

Cuomo, a New York-registered attorney, advised OKX on legal issues stemming from the probe sometime after August 2021 when he resigned as New York overnor, Bloomberg reported on April 2, citing people familiar with the matter.

“He spoke with company executives regularly and counseled them on how to respond to the criminal investigation,” Bloomberg said.

The Seychelles-based firm pled guilty to operating an unlicensed money-transmitting business in violation of US Anti-Money Laundering laws on Feb. 24 and agreed to pay $84 million worth of penalties while forfeiting $421 million worth of fees earned from mostly institutional clients.

The breaches occurred from 2018 to 2024 despite OKX having an official policy preventing US persons from transacting on its crypto exchange since 2017, the Department of Justice noted at the time.

A spokesperson for Cuomo, Rich Azzopardi, told Bloomberg that Cuomo has been providing private legal services representing individuals and corporations on a variety of matters since resigning as New York governor.

“He has not represented clients before a New York city or state agency and routinely recommends former colleagues for positions,”  Azzopardi added.

OKX reportedly wasn’t willing to comment on its relationships with outside firms.

Cuomo also influenced OKX to make executive appointments: Bloomberg

Cuomo, who is now running for mayor of New York City, also advised OKX to appoint his friend US Attorney Linda Lacewell to OKX’s board of directors, Bloomberg said.

Lacewell, a former superintendent of the New York Department of Financial Services, was added to the board in 2024 and was named OKX’s new chief legal officer on April 1, according to a recent company statement.

Former New York governor advised OKX over $505M federal probe: Report

Source: Linda Lacewell

Related: New York bill aims to protect crypto investors from memecoin rug pulls

After the investigation concluded, OKX said it would seek out a compliance consultant to remedy the issues stemming from the federal probe and bolster its regulatory compliance program.

“Our vision is to make OKX the gold standard of global compliance at scale across different markets and their respective regulatory bodies,” OKX CEO Star Xu said in a Feb. 24 X post.

Magazine: Financial nihilism in crypto is over — It’s time to dream big again

Continue Reading

Trending