Connect with us

Published

on

A teacher accused of having sex with two teenage pupils has told a jury she ruined her “dream job” with stupid “mistakes”.

Rebecca Joynes denies having sex with the two boys but admitted, in Manchester Crown Court, to having broken safeguarding rules by being in contact with them on Snapchat and having them back to her apartment in Salford Quays.

The 30-year-old was already suspended from her job and on bail for alleged sexual activity with boy A, 15, when she allegedly took the virginity of a second boy, known as boy B, 16, who she later became pregnant by.

Joynes denies that any sexual activity took place with boy A – whose semen was recovered from her bedsheets.

In court she also maintains that the relationship with boy B only began after he had left school and she had lost her job, so no legal offence was committed.

The court heard how she later wrote to boy B, saying: “Every inch of you is perfect. You are all I ever dream about.”

Joynes said: “This was a year after he left school. I was in love with him. I was pregnant with his child.”

She also described teaching as her “dream job” but said she had “ruined” her chances of working in the profession after making “mistakes”.

On Tuesday, the defendant was cross-examined by Joe Allman, prosecuting, for a second day, as he pointed out “similarities” in both cases.

Mr Allman alleged that both boys were 15 when she began taking them into her flat and she communicated with both on Snapchat – where messages are deleted and not recoverable by police.

Rebecca Joynes arrives at Manchester Crown Court on Monday May 13, 2024. Pic: PA Wire
Image:
Rebecca Joynes arrives at Manchester Crown Court on Monday. Pic: PA

In both cases, the activity was a secret from their parents and they both flirted with her, boy A, calling her “sexy” and boy B, sending her a message saying, “Get your tits out”.

“What did you reply?” Mr Allman said.

“Laughing faces,” Joynes replied.

But instead of shutting down such behaviour, Mr Allman accused Joynes of giving “ambiguous” responses.

The ex-teacher maintained that sex with boy B only began after he had turned 16 and left school, and she had been dismissed from her job.

But boy B told the jury that while he was still at school, Joynes straddled and kissed him at her flat and then on a second occasion they had sex.

Read more from Sky News:
Doctor diagnosed with incurable cancer free of disease
Woman partially paralysed after star’s stage dive into crowd
Man bludgeoned friend to death with hammer

This was after Joynes had been arrested, suspended from her job and bailed as police investigated allegations of contact with boy A.

She claimed that boy B contacted her to see how she was and she liked the attention, as she was lonely, and a friendship grew.

The court heard they would go for walks and he would visit her flat as she preferred staying in her apartment in Salford rather than with her parents on the Wirral.

Joynes said: “Speaking to my family, I had made mistakes, I had basically ruined my chances with my dream job.”

Mr Allman said that Joynes had a supportive family, sister and a best friend back home but instead chose the company of a 15-year-old boy.

“How on Earth can that second scenario be a draw for you?” Mr Allman said.

Joynes said: “I was stupid but I did choose that option, obviously I was breaking my bail conditions.”

The defendant claimed that after the relationship became sexual, it soured and she said that boy B became “controlling”.

Mr Allman said: “Let’s look at the reality of the situation. You were 29, living in a flat, had a good income, drove an Audi A1.

“He was a child, you were an adult. He was a pupil, you were a teacher.

“He lived with his mum and dad, they were not supposed to know about your liaisons with him. Who was controlling who?”

Jurors heard Joynes and boy B rowed and could not decide on whether to keep the baby or have an abortion.

Boy B claims he tried to end the relationship but did not know how to, called her a “paedo” and told her to find someone her own age but claimed emotional pressure came from Joynes to keep their relationship going.

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Joynes denies six counts of engaging in sexual activity with a child, including two while being a person in a position of trust.

The trial was adjourned until Wednesday morning.

Continue Reading

UK

Gareth Bale warns greed could harm footballer welfare as matches pile up – and backs calls to scrap VAR

Published

on

By

Gareth Bale warns greed could harm footballer welfare as matches pile up - and backs calls to scrap VAR

Gareth Bale has revealed to Sky News concerns football could become “too greedy”, with players’ mental and physical well-being endangered by growing fixture demands.

The former Wales captain, who won every major honour with Real Madrid, urged football authorities to act so “it doesn’t take something bad to happen for that to change”.

In his first notable interview since retiring in January 2023, Bale reflected on the highs and lows of an illustrious career, assessed the wider state of the game – including what he describes as the need to scrap VAR – and expressed admiration for Jude Bellingham’s immediate impact at Madrid.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Bale on why he doesn’t like VAR

Bale retired at 33 as a five-time Champions League winner with Madrid – becoming Britain’s most successful male footballing export while still facing difficult times winning over fans in Spain.

The pressures he felt are now only growing as competitions add matches, much to the frustration of global players’ union FIFPRO.

Bale said in an exclusive interview with Sky News: “The intensity and the quickness [are] only getting higher, and it’s very difficult to continue playing at that high level.

“And then when the level comes down, you only get scrutinised.”

He said that while “everybody understands that money … plays a big part” and “more games means more money”, players “want to play the right amount of games where you can cope with it without it being dangerous”.

He added: “It’s a very fine line, but hopefully everybody can come together and come to a right resolution for player welfare.”

Gareth Bale lifting the Champions League trophy for Real Madrid. Pic: PA
Image:
Gareth Bale lifting the Champions League trophy for Real Madrid in 2018. Pic: PA

Some players now could be required for more than 85 matches in a season for club and country with FIFA introducing a new 32-team Club World Cup every four years and UEFA expanding the Champions League.

“The amount of fixtures is becoming more and more and it’ll just become more demanding – and hopefully it doesn’t take something bad to happen for that to change,” Bale said.

“Looking after the players is an important thing. They’re the ones who are growing the game, bringing the fans in to watch them.”

Asked about hopes for football, Bale replied: “It’s just about staying together as one and without certain things getting too greedy.”

‘VAR only made it worse’

One thing he certainly doesn’t miss is video assistant referees delaying celebrations and ruling out goals.

Premier League clubs are set to vote next week on whether to scrap VAR.

VAR, Bale says, was “supposed to take away the controversy in football and it’s only made it worse – I like the human error aspect”.

“Things in slow motion look a lot worse than they do in real time. So, when you slow things down, a handball looks way more of a handball than it does in real action.

“So I don’t like it. I would like to see it gone personally.”

‘Fantastic’ Bellingham

Bale led Tottenham into the Champions League for the first time before an £85m move to Madrid in 2013.

Jude Bellingham has been 'fantastic'. Pic: PA
Image:
Jude Bellingham has been ‘fantastic’. Pic: PA

The 14-time European champions are back in the final on Saturday at Wembley Stadium against Borussia Dortmund – a notable homecoming for Jude Bellingham after a wondrous first season in the Spanish capital.

The 20-year-old English star has already won LaLiga with 19 goals and six assists.

“At such a young age to be doing what he’s doing is fantastic,” Bale said. “It’s great to see, it’s refreshing and it’s important.”

It is especially important to get off to a good start at a club of such history and tradition like Real Madrid, he said.

“The intensity, the pressure that you can feel under…,” said Bale.

“So, he had a great start so far. Obviously, they still have a big game to come and it’ll be great for him to win a Champions League in his first season, that really settles the pressure and, hopefully, he can kick on from there.”

Ups and downs in Madrid

Life in Madrid wasn’t always easy for Bale, with jeers from his own fans despite being so integral on the big occasions with memorable goals like the scissor kick in the 2018 Champions League final win over Liverpool.

Gareth Bale scoring a spectacular overhead kick against Liverpool. Pic PA
Image:
Gareth Bale scoring a spectacular overhead kick against Liverpool. Pic PA

“Of course, there’s always going to be ups and downs,” Bale said. “It’s how you deal with those, how you bounce back, how your character comes out.

“There were obviously some great times, there were obviously some bad. But, I think normally the good outweighs the bad in the end.”

Undoubtedly the biggest moments of pride came with his country – leading Wales to the Euro 2016 semifinals and ending their 62-year World Cup exile in 2022.

“If you’d told me when I was a young kid that I would have the career I did, I probably would never have believed you,” Bale said. “I feel like I overachieved”.

“But I think as you get older, your goals change, your body changes, your talent kind of takes over, the hard work kicks in.”

Read more:
The caretaker’s son who became Wales’ greatest footballer
Bale ‘very proud’ after receiving MBE from Prince William

Now there is more time for golf and family.

“It’s been really nice just to take a step back and have that pressure just relieved a bit,” he said.

“So it’s been good. Obviously I’ve spoken to people when they’ve retired. It’s all about keeping stuff a little bit busy.”

Climate concern

Bale also expressed concern over how football impacts climate change – and stressed the importance of not neglecting the environment while chasing sporting glory.

His message for collective action on sustainability features alongside those of other players, clubs and fans on a Pledge Ball made from recycled boots by Champions League sponsor Mastercard.

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

“It’s difficult to make big changes,” Bale said. “It’s always about making those little changes.”

Bale urged the media “to write about the good things, not the bad things”, mentioning Lewis Hamilton as an example of somebody who is “doing a lot of good” and gets “unfair” treatment.

“He made such a massive effort to kind of change his environment and to do right,” Bale said of the F1 driver.

“And then people forget all the hard work he’s done and write maybe about just the small, I guess, negative where he drives an F1 car, which is obviously CO2. So, people need to realise that he’s doing a lot of good and not just that little bit of not bad.

“So, I think for him to make such a big change was massive. But to get the scrutiny I guess he got was very unfair.”

The sense is Bale also prefers life without scrutiny, away from the football spotlight with no desire to become a coach.

“I’m enjoying time, being at home with the family, spending more time with the kids,” he said.

“Enjoying life, to be honest.”

Continue Reading

UK

Bournemouth: CCTV images released of suspect after woman stabbed to death on beach

Published

on

By

Bournemouth: CCTV images released of suspect after woman stabbed to death on beach

Detectives investigating the fatal stabbing of a woman on a beach in Bournemouth have released CCTV images of a suspect.

Dorset Police were called to reports of two women who had been stabbed on Durley Chine Beach at around 11.45pm on Friday.

A 34-year-old woman from nearby Poole was pronounced dead at the scene, while a 38-year-old woman who sustained serious injuries is still in hospital receiving treatment.

A 17-year-old boy from the Lancashire area, who was arrested on suspicion of murder, remains in custody.

Police have issued CCTV images of a suspect who is wearing dark clothing with his hood pulled over his head.

Officers believe there was only one offender involved and the CCTV images are of the suspect at the scene, with inquiries continuing to confirm his identity, the PA news agency reported.

Police officers at the scene on Saturday. Pic: PA
Image:
Police officers at the scene on Saturday. Pic: PA

Detective Superintendent Richard Dixey said: “Since this tragic incident was reported to us, we have been driving the investigation forward, collecting as much information as possible to get answers for the loved ones of the young woman who has tragically lost her life and for the surviving victim. Our thoughts remain with them.

“We are now in a position to issue CCTV images of the suspect. I would urge anyone who was in the area of Durley Chine beach during the night from Friday 24 May to Saturday 25 May 2024 and may have seen the person pictured or anything unusual to please come forward.”

The officer said anyone who was in the area of Durley Roundabout, West Cliff Gardens, Durley Gardens or West Cliff Drive may have “vital clues”.

Read more from Sky News:
Pilot killed in Spitfire crash named
PGA golfer took his own life, parents say

Appealing for witnesses, DS Dixey said: “Did you see anyone acting strangely, mainly between 10pm and midnight? Do you have dashcam or CCTV footage that may assist the enquiry?

“Anyone who thinks they recognise the person in the CCTV images should contact police.”

The beach where the stabbing took place is one of Bournemouth’s most popular, according to Visit Dorset, and is located west of the pier.

“We are of course acutely aware of the concerns this incident will have created and indeed continues to create,” said DS Dixey.

“The impact on our communities and the protection of our public remains at the forefront of our minds.

“The enhanced police presence in the area will remain as long as is necessary and if you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to speak to an officer.”

Continue Reading

UK

General Election 2024: Sunak ‘to double down on National Service plan’ as Tories and Labour focus on security

Published

on

By

General Election 2024: Sunak 'to double down on National Service plan' as Tories and Labour focus on security

Rishi Sunak is expected to continue championing his controversial plans to revive National Service by urging employers to prioritise job applicants who have served time in the military.

The prime minister said all 18-year-olds would be made to undertake a form of “mandatory” National Service if the Conservatives are re-elected on 4 July.

Despite growing criticism of the plans – which Tories estimate would cost £2.5bn a year by the end of the decade – the Financial Times reports the prime minister is set to double down.

Mr Sunak said one way to “get the most out of National Service” would be to encourage bosses to “consider those who complete the armed forces placement during job applications”, the paper reports.

Critics from across the political divide have dismissed the plan as unserious, while leading military figures are sceptical over how it would work.

But Mr Sunak will hope his pledge could boost his bid to narrow a yawning gap in the polls between the Tories and Labour as campaigning enters the first full week.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Is National Service a good idea?

Security will also be the focus of the day for Labour, with Sir Keir Starmer expected to say in a keynote speech “economic security, border security, and national security” will form the “bedrock” of the party manifesto.

“The very foundation of any good government is economic security, border security, and national security,” the Labour leader is expected to say.

“This is the foundation, the bedrock that our manifesto and our first steps will be built upon.”

Read more:
Which countries have National Service and how does it work?
National Service pledge derided as ‘deeply cynical’ by defence insider

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Acknowledging some voters may be unsure of Labour’s credentials around national security, he is expected to say: “Whatever the polls say, I know there are countless people who haven’t decided how they’ll vote in this election.

“They’re fed up with the failure, chaos and division of the ­Tories but they still have questions about us.

“Has Labour changed enough? Do I trust them with my money, our borders and our security?

“My answer is yes you can – because I have changed this party. Permanently. This has been my driving mission since day one.”

Sir Keir Starmer during a visit to Tapa Military Base in Estonia, where British armed forces are deployed as part of NATO commitments. Pic: PA
Image:
Voters can trust Labour on security matters, Starmer says. Pic: PA

According to The Times, Labour would bring together MI5, police and Whitehall departments to carry out a 100-day review of all the threats that Britain faces, including from Russia and Iran, if it wins the election.

Campaigning for the election is expected to ramp up in the coming week.

Sir Ed Davey will be north of the border launching the Scottish Liberal Democrat campaign with Scottish leader Alex Cole-Hamilton.

Continue Reading

Trending