Connect with us

Published

on

Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal’s annual Tribeca Festival, which opened Wednesday night and runs through June 16, will look a little different this year.

For the first time, Tribeca will give awards to short films generated by artificial intelligence.

It’s one of the entertainment industry’s first public embraces of the new technology, which many actors and writers fear will render them obsolete. The use of AI was a major sticking point in last summer’s Writer’s Guild and SAG-AFTRA strikes.

“People are concerned about jobs and that’s something obviously we’re all concerned about,” Rosenthal told The Post. “But I think it will also be about creating new jobs… if you’re a VFX [visual effects] editor, you’re still going to be a VFX editor … you’ll just have new tools to play with.”

It’s the latest move by the 23-year-old festival to keep up with the changing media landscape. While good old-fashioned movies and documentaries are still the stars, the festival dropped the word “film” from its name in 2022 and rebranded itself as simply Tribeca Festival.

We want to bring all the artists and all different kind of storytellers under our big roof,” Rosenthal said.

In recent years, Tribeca has also added awards for less conventional mediums such as video games, music videos and audio storytelling.

Artists are pivoting theyre doing pieces in VR, in art, they’re doing gaming, Rosenthal said. It’s a much more fluid way to kind of look at how artists approach the world and the stories they want to tell.

The moves come despite the fact that both Rosenthal and De Niro are veterans of conventional filmmaking. They first teamed up to make the 1992 Val Kilmer movie “Thunderheart” and, over the decades, have been producing partners on a number of notable projects, including Academy Award nominee “The Irishman,” “A Bronx Tale” and “Meet the Fockers.”

This year’s Tribeca Festival will highlight a number of traditional, high-profile movies including “Daddio,” starring Dakota Johnson and Sean Penn; the coming-of-tale “Sacramento” with Michael Cera and Kirsten Stewart; and “Winter Spring Summer or Fall” with Jenna Ortega as a teen prodigy.

The documentary “Diane von Furstenberg: Woman in Charge” will open the fest on Wednesday night.

Last month, Rosenthal spoke at an AI film festival in Hollywood that was put on by Runway, a company that edits and creates videos using artificial intelligence. She also launched a partnership between Runway and Tribeca to involve the company in judging AI short-video submissions.

I always like playing with new tools that can help us tell our stories and the best of way ways,” Rosenthal said. “Look, the business is changing … we’re all consuming things differently.”

As Tribeca embraces new technology, it’s also celebrating its iconic co-founder Robert De Niro with a “De Niro Con” in honor of the actors 80th birthday. 

What do you get Bob De Niro for his 80th birthday? We decided to throw a De Niro Con, Rosenthal said. The event, slated for June 14 to 16 at Spring Place, is an added celebration to Tribeca’s usual events.

It will include an immersive experience with exhibits featuring old photos, notes and scripts, as well as 13 screenings and fireside chats. Quentin Tarantino and DeNiro will give a talk about “Jackie Brown,” director David O. Russell and Ben Stiller have the honors for “Silver Linings Playbook,” and Martin Scorsese and Nas will discuss “Mean Streets.”

There will even be a competition for the best sandwich in honor of the actor dubbed the De Niro Hero.

And, always, New York is the star of Tribeca. Part of the reason for launching the festival in 2002 was to revitalize downtown neighborhoods after 9/11 destroyed much of the Financial District.

And while it went online in 2020, during pandemic lockdowns, Tribeca returned in person in 2021 one of the first big events to get people excited about being here again

Hugh Grant said the best line,” Rosenthal told The Post. “‘The one thing about a film festival, it’s a great shot of vitamin B12 in the arse for any city.’”

NYNext is an editorial series highlighting New York City innovation across industries as well as the personalities leading the way.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Justin Timberlake addresses ‘tough week’ at first concert since drink-driving arrest

Published

on

By

Justin Timberlake addresses 'tough week' at first concert since drink-driving arrest

Justin Timberlake has performed his first gig since his arrest for alleged drink-driving, telling the crowd it had been a “tough week”. 

The US star is currently on his The Forget Tomorrow World Tour and performed in Chicago on Friday night after being arrested earlier this week.

He told the screaming crowd: “We’ve been together through ups and downs, lefts and rights.

“It’s been a tough week, but you’re here and I’m here, and nothing can change this moment right now.”

The singer appeared emotional as he added: “I know sometimes I’m hard to love but you keep on loving me and I love you right back.”

Timberlake was in Long Island in New York state – having reportedly had dinner with friends – when he was pulled over by police in the early hours of Tuesday.

Officers said the 43-year-old had failed to pause at a stop sign and was seen not being able to stay in his lane.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Timberlake’s car caught on CCTV

Timberlake was held overnight and formally charged with a DWI (driving while intoxicated) misdemeanour at Sag Harbor Village Justice Court on Tuesday morning before being released.

According to a source talking to Page Six, the officer who pulled Timberlake over “was so young that he didn’t even know” who the star was.

A second source told the celebrity news outlet that during the arrest, Timberlake said: “This is going to ruin the tour.”

Justin Timberlake.
Pic: Sag Harbor/Reuters
Image:
Timberlake’s mugshot after his arrest. Pic: Sag Harbor/Reuters

Timberlake, who rose to fame with boyband NSYNC before finding huge success as a solo artist with hits including Like I Love You, Cry Me A River, SexyBack and Mirrors, is due to perform in Chicago again on Saturday night.

Further shows are scheduled across the US, Canada and Europe between June and December.

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

According to court documents filed about the star’s arrest, there was “a strong odour of an alcoholic beverage… emanating from his breath, he was unable to divide attention, he had slowed speech, he was unsteady afoot and he performed poorly on all standardised field sobriety tests”.

Timberlake also told officers he had one martini and was following some friends home, and refused to take a breath test.

His lawyer has said he is “looking forward to vigorously defending” the singer.

Timberlake’s next court date is scheduled for 26 July.

Continue Reading

US

Justin Timberlake addresses ‘tough week’ at first concert since drink-driving arrest

Published

on

By

Justin Timberlake addresses 'tough week' at first concert since drink-driving arrest

Justin Timberlake has performed his first gig since his arrest for alleged drink-driving, telling the crowd it had been a “tough week”. 

The US star is currently on his The Forget Tomorrow World Tour and performed in Chicago on Friday night after being arrested earlier this week.

He told the screaming crowd: “We’ve been together through ups and downs, lefts and rights.

“It’s been a tough week, but you’re here and I’m here, and nothing can change this moment right now.”

The singer appeared emotional as he added: “I know sometimes I’m hard to love but you keep on loving me and I love you right back.”

Timberlake was in Long Island in New York state – having reportedly had dinner with friends – when he was pulled over by police in the early hours of Tuesday.

Officers said the 43-year-old had failed to pause at a stop sign and was seen not being able to stay in his lane.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Timberlake’s car caught on CCTV

Timberlake was held overnight and formally charged with a DWI (driving while intoxicated) misdemeanour at Sag Harbor Village Justice Court on Tuesday morning before being released.

According to a source talking to Page Six, the officer who pulled Timberlake over “was so young that he didn’t even know” who the star was.

A second source told the celebrity news outlet that during the arrest, Timberlake said: “This is going to ruin the tour.”

Justin Timberlake.
Pic: Sag Harbor/Reuters
Image:
Timberlake’s mugshot after his arrest. Pic: Sag Harbor/Reuters

Timberlake, who rose to fame with boyband NSYNC before finding huge success as a solo artist with hits including Like I Love You, Cry Me A River, SexyBack and Mirrors, is due to perform in Chicago again on Saturday night.

Further shows are scheduled across the US, Canada and Europe between June and December.

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

According to court documents filed about the star’s arrest, there was “a strong odour of an alcoholic beverage… emanating from his breath, he was unable to divide attention, he had slowed speech, he was unsteady afoot and he performed poorly on all standardised field sobriety tests”.

Timberlake also told officers he had one martini and was following some friends home, and refused to take a breath test.

His lawyer has said he is “looking forward to vigorously defending” the singer.

Timberlake’s next court date is scheduled for 26 July.

Continue Reading

US

Arkansas supermarket shooting leaves three dead and 10 wounded as gunman arrested

Published

on

By

Arkansas supermarket shooting leaves three dead and 10 wounded as gunman arrested

A supermarket shooting in Arkansas, US, has left three people dead and 10 others wounded.

Parked cars and shop windows were left riddled with bullet holes after a gunman opened fire on Friday, forcing bystanders to dive for cover.

Among the injured were two police officers who shot back at the gunman – before he was arrested.

The incident took place around 11.30am local time at the Mad Butcher supermarket in Fordyce – a city of just over 3,000 people located 65 miles south of Little Rock.

Colonel Mike Hagar, director of Arkansas State Police, told reporters: “It’s tragic, our hearts are broken”.

The gunman was identified by police as 44-year-old Travis Eugene Posey.

Posey was taken to jail and charged with three counts of murder.

Other charges are still pending and no court date has been set, according to the inmate roster.

Pic: AP
Image:
Police on the scene of the attack in the aftermath of the shooting. Pic: AP

Neither Posey’s, nor the officers’ injuries were life threatening, but among the others the injuries ranged from “not life-threatening to extremely critical”, Col Hagar said.

It wasn’t immediately clear what the motive for the shooting was, nor if it took place predominantly inside or outside the shop.

Roderick Rogers, a member of the city council, witnessed the attack.

He said he saw people fleeing for cover in all directions and added: “People were just jumping into cars to get to safety.”

Law enforcement officers work the scene of the shooting. Pic: AP
Image:
Law enforcement officers work the scene of the shooting. Pic: AP

Amiya Doherty said she was in her mum’s car in the car park of the shop when she heard what she thought were fireworks.

But she then saw a man holding a gun and firing and said she ducked out of view.

“I held my sister’s hand and I told her I love her,” Ms Doherty told Little Rock television station KATV.

Images from the scene showed a slew of bullet holes in the grocery store’s window, and spent shell casings strewn throughout the parking lot.

The shooting took place at the Mad Butcher grocery store in Fordyce, Arkansas. Pic: AP
Image:
The shooting took place at the Mad Butcher grocery store in Fordyce, Arkansas. Pic: AP

Arkansas governor Sarah Huckabee Sanders said she had been briefed on the shooting.

In a post on social media she added: “I am thankful to law enforcement and first responders for their quick and heroic action to save lives.

“My prayers are with the victims and all those impacted by this.”

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Read more from Sky News:
Hollywood legend Donald Sutherland has died
Shocking moment drunk driver ploughs into cyclists
Republican ‘sorry’ for repeatedly pouring water in colleague’s bag

The White House said President Joe Biden has been briefed on the shooting and his team will continue to keep him updated.

David Rodriguez, 58, had stopped at his local petrol station in the town when he heard what he thought were fireworks.

But he too saw people fleeing from the shop and one person lying on the ground.

“The police started to show up, and then there was massive gunfire and ambulances pulling up,” he said.

“The bullets were just flying.”

Continue Reading

Trending