Connect with us

Published

on

Tributes have poured in for “brilliant and utterly charming” TV doctor Michael Mosely, as his wife described him as a “wonderful, funny, kind and brilliant husband”.

Mosley was last seen on Wednesday, after he went for a walk on his own from Saint Nikolas Beach in the centre of the Greek island of Symi, but he disappeared, triggering a search.

His body was found on Sunday by a camera crew, close to a cave complex beside Agia Marina, around 10m from the sea.

His wife Dr Clare Mosley said she took comfort from the fact “he so very nearly made it”, as tributes poured in for the doctor who made popular the 5:2 diet and championed public health.

‘A wonderfully sweet, kind and gentle man’

Pic: Reuters
A drone view shows rescuers transfering the body of British TV presenter Michael Mosley, which was found after he had been missing, on the southeastern Aegean Sea island of Symi, Greece, June 9, 2024. REUTERS/Panormitis Chatzigiannakis BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE
Image:
A drone shows rescuers transporting the body of the popular TV doctor. Pic: Reuters

Mosley’s co-presenter on Trust Me, I’m A Doctor, Dr Saleyha Ahsan, described him as “a national treasure” as the BBC, who he was known for working for, said he would be “hugely missed”.

Dr Ahsan told Sky News: “He had this talent to engage. It wasn’t just the celebrity status, it was because there was trust.

More on Greece

“He lived and breathed his work. He was an inspiration. I hate even saying ‘was’ – is an inspiration.”

Meanwhile, the BBC’s chief content officer Charlotte Moore said: “His entertaining and accessible style was enjoyed by audiences around the world and he will be hugely missed by many people not least those fortunate enough to have worked with him at the BBC.”

Mosley made regular appearances on Morning Live and The One Show and worked on programmes including Medical Mavericks, Eat Fast Live Longer, Inside Michael Mosley, The Young Ones and Trust Me, I’m a Doctor.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Who was Michael Mosley?

Tributes poured in from across British television and beyond, with Channel 4, who he also worked with, releasing statements along with Carol Vorderman, Jeremy Vine and more.

TV presenter Kaye Adams, who says she interviewed Michael Mosley “countless times over the years”, said “we really have lost one of the good guys”.

Roy Taylor, a physician and diabetologist who worked with Mosley on tackling type two diabetes, told Sky News: “Michael was a real one-off.”

TV chef Jamie Oliver, like several others, acknowledged the work Mosley did for public health, saying he “changed the conversation around many public health issues for the better”.

“What a wonderfully sweet, kind and gentle man he was,” Oliver added,

Speaking to Sky News, Phil Hammond, who worked on the BBC2 series Trust Me I’m A Doctor with Mosley, said he still “can’t quite believe he’s gone”.

Dr Philip Hammond pays tribute to Michael Mosley
Image:
Dr Phil Hammond was one of many who paid tribute to Dr Mosley

Professor Alice Roberts, who also worked with Mosley on a number of programmes, described meeting up with him at Hay Festival in Hay-on-Wye just two weeks ago.

She added: “I can’t believe he’s gone. My thoughts are with his bereaved family.”

Mosley’s death was felt outside the world of television as former deputy leader of the Labour Party Tom Watson said it was “hard to describe how upset I am by this news”.

In a statement on X, he said: “Through courageous, science-based journalism, Michael Mosley has helped thousands of people get well and healthy. I’m one of them.

“He was a hero to me. He will be deeply missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

After losing about seven stone, Mr Watson said in an interview that Mosley’s The Fast Diet book was part of his weight-loss regime.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Michael Mosley’s body found in Greece

A number of national newspapers kicked Monday off, leading on the news of Mosley’s death and his wife’s tribute to him.

‘So very nearly made it’

In a touching statement, Mosley’s wife, Dr Clare Bailey Mosley, said it was “devastating” to have lost him but she took comfort from how close to safety he had been when he died.

Read more:
Mosley’s body was found just metres from safety
Who was TV doctor who popularised 5:2 diet?

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

She said: “I don’t know quite where to begin with this. It’s devastating to have lost Michael, my wonderful, funny, kind and brilliant husband.

“We had an incredibly lucky life together. We loved each other very much and were so happy together. I am incredibly proud of our children, their resilience and support over the past days.

“My family and I have been hugely comforted by the outpouring of love from people from around the world. It’s clear that Michael meant a huge amount to so many of you.

“We’re taking comfort in the fact that he so very nearly made it.

“He did an incredible climb, took the wrong route and collapsed where he couldn’t be easily seen by the extensive search team.

“Michael was an adventurous man, it’s part of what made him so special. We are so grateful to the extraordinary people on Symi who have worked tirelessly to help find him.

“Some of these people on the island, who hadn’t even heard of Michael, worked from dawn till dusk unasked. We’re also very grateful to the press who have dealt with us with great respect.

“I feel so lucky to have our children and my amazing friends. Most of all, I feel so lucky to have had this life with Michael.

“Thank you all.”

Continue Reading

World

Stock markets slump for second day running after Trump announces tariffs – in worst day for indexes since COVID

Published

on

By

Stock markets slump for second day running after Trump announces tariffs - in worst day for indexes since COVID

Worldwide stock markets have plummeted for the second day running as the fallout from Donald Trump’s global tariffs continues.

While European and Asian markets suffered notable falls, American indexes were the worst hit, with Wall Street closing to a sea of red on Friday following Thursday’s rout – the worst day in US markets since the COVID-19 pandemic.

As it happened: Worst week’s trading in five years

All three of the US’s major indexes were down by more than 5% at market close; The Dow Jones Industrial Average plummeted 5.5%, the S&P 500 was 5.97% lower, and the Nasdaq Composite slipped 5.82%.

The Nasdaq was also 22% below its record-high set in December, which indicates a bear market.

Read more: What’s a bear market?

Ever since the US president announced the tariffs on Wednesday evening, analysts estimate that around $4.9trn (£3.8trn) has been wiped off the value of the global stock market.

More on Donald Trump

Mr Trump has remained unapologetic as the markets struggle, posting in all-caps on Truth Social before the markets closed that “only the weak will fail”.

The UK’s leading stock market, the FTSE 100, also suffered its worst daily drop in more than five years, closing 4.95% down, a level not seen since March 2020.

And the Japanese exchange Nikkei 225 dropped by 2.75% at end of trading, down 20% from its recent peak in July last year.

Pic: Reuters
Image:
US indexes had the worst day of trading since the COVID-19 pandemic. Pic: Reuters

Trump holds trade deal talks – reports

It comes as a source told CNN that Mr Trump has been in discussions with Vietnamese, Indian and Israeli representatives to negotiate bespoke trade deals that could alleviate proposed tariffs on those countries before a deadline next week.

The source told the US broadcaster the talks were being held in advance of the reciprocal levies going into effect next week.

Vietnam faced one of the highest reciprocal tariffs announced by the US president this week, with 46% rates on imports. Israeli imports face a 17% rate, and Indian goods will be subject to 26% tariffs.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Do Trump’s tariffs add up?

Read more:
Markets gave Trump a clear no-confidence vote
There were no winners from Trump’s tariff gameshow

China – hit with 34% tariffs on imported goods – has also announced it will issue its own levy of the same rate on US imports.

Mr Trump said China “played it wrong” and “panicked – the one thing they cannot afford to do” in another all-caps Truth Social post earlier on Friday.

Later, on Air Force One, the US president told reporters that “the beauty” of the tariffs is that they allow for negotiations, referencing talks with Chinese company ByteDance on the sale of social media app TikTok.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Tariffs: Xi hits back at Trump

He said: “We have a situation with TikTok where China will probably say, ‘We’ll approve a deal, but will you do something on the tariffs?’

“The tariffs give us great power to negotiate. They always have.”

Continue Reading

World

Financial markets were always going to respond to Trump tariffs but they’re also battling with another problem

Published

on

By

Financial markets were always going to respond to Trump tariffs but they're also battling with another problem

Global financial markets gave a clear vote of no-confidence in President Trump’s economic policy.

The damage it will do is obvious: costs for companies will rise, hitting their earnings.

The consequences will ripple throughout the global economy, with economists now raising their expectations for a recession, not only in the US, but across the world.

Tariffs latest: FTSE 100 suffers biggest daily drop since COVID

Financial investors had been gradually re-calibrating their expectations of Donald Trump over the past few months.

Hopes that his actions may not match his rhetoric were dashed on Wednesday as he imposed sweeping tariffs on the US’ trading partners, ratcheting up protectionism to a level not seen in more than a century.

Markets were always going to respond to that but they are also battling with another problem: the lack of certainty when it comes to Trump.

More on Donald Trump

He is a capricious figure and we can only guess his next move. Will he row back? How far is he willing to negotiate and offer concessions?

Read more:
There were no winners from Trump’s tariff gameshow
Trade war sparks ‘$2.2trn’ global market sell-off

These are massive unknowns, which are piled on to uncertainty about how countries will respond.

China has already retaliated and Europe has indicated it will go further.

That will compound the problems for the global economy and undoubtedly send shivers through the markets.

Much is yet to be determined, but if there’s one thing markets hate, it’s uncertainty.

Continue Reading

World

Court confirms sacking of South Korean president who declared martial law

Published

on

By

Court confirms sacking of South Korean president who declared martial law

South Korea’s constitutional court has confirmed the dismissal of President Yoon Suk Yeol, who was impeached in December after declaring martial law.

His decision to send troops onto the streets led to the country’s worst political crisis in decades.

The court ruled to uphold the impeachment saying the conservative leader “violated his duty as commander-in-chief by mobilising troops” when he declared martial law.

The president was also said to have taken actions “beyond the powers provided in the constitution”.

Demonstrators who stayed overnight near the constitutional court wait for the start of a rally calling for the president to step down. Pic: AP
Image:
Demonstrators stayed overnight near the constitutional court. Pic: AP

Supporters and opponents of the president gathered in their thousands in central Seoul as they awaited the ruling.

The 64-year-old shocked MPs, the public and international allies in early December when he declared martial law, meaning all existing laws regarding civilians were suspended in place of military law.

Read more from Sky News:
Highs and lows of Five-Year Keir
MP tells Sky News she was targeted online by Tate brothers

More on South Korea

The Constitutional Court is under heavy police security guard ahead of the announcement of the impeachment trial. Pic: AP
Image:
The court was under heavy police security guard ahead of the announcement. Pic: AP

After suddenly declaring martial law, Mr Yoon sent hundreds of soldiers and police officers to the National Assembly.

He has argued that he sought to maintain order, but some senior military and police officers sent there have told hearings and investigators that Mr Yoon ordered them to drag out politicians to prevent an assembly vote on his decree.

His presidential powers were suspended when the opposition-dominated assembly voted to impeach him on 14 December, accusing him of rebellion.

The unanimous verdict to uphold parliament’s impeachment and remove Mr Yoon from office required the support of at least six of the court’s eight justices.

South Korea must hold a national election within two months to find a new leader.

Lee Jae-myung, leader of the main liberal opposition Democratic Party, is the early favourite to become the country’s next president, according to surveys.

Continue Reading

Trending