Connect with us

Published

on

Apple is set to integrate artificial intelligence into its new phones, but billionaire Elon Musk has threatened a ban of the devices at his companies over what he alleges are security fears.

The tech giant held its annual developer conference in California on Monday during which it made the long-awaited announcement that it was bringing AI to its devices.

Dubbed Apple Intelligence, it is a collection of features that includes text and image generation and an improved Siri voice assistant.

This will be supported by integrating the already popular ChatGPT into the company’s phones.

However, Tesla and X owner Elon Musk, who has a long history with ChatGPT’s owners OpenAI, warned that he would ban iPhones from all of his companies over the move.

Musk has a fractious relationship with OpenAI – he was a founder of the company but has since turned against it and accused it of failing to follow its founding principles.

Apple’s new AI system would revamp Siri, allowing it to mine information from across a user’s apps.

More on Apple

But South African billionaire Musk said the decision was an “unacceptable security violation” and said that if OpenAI is integrated at the OS level “then Apple devices will be banned at my companies”.

He accused the Silicon Valley company, without evidence, of turning over user data to OpenAI.

Elon Musk. Pic: PA
Image:
Elon Musk. Pic: PA

Apple's WWDC developer conference this week held at Apple Park headquarters. Pic: AP
Image:
Apple’s WWDC developer conference this week held at Apple Park headquarters. Pic: AP

In their announcement, Apple said that the new AI system would be rooted in privacy, carrying out most processes on the device itself.

Any computing done externally would be done through a new procedure called private cloud computer, Apple said – and claimed it would keep users’ data secure.

They added that users would have to give permission before any request was shared with OpenAI.

The row reflects diverging views surrounding AI, and how quickly the technology is being developed and implemented.

When OpenAI announced ChatGPT back in November 2022 it fired the starting gun on the tech industry’s AI arms race.

Read more from Sky News:
Electric headset for depression recommended after NHS trial
Genetics testing firm investigated over data breach
Apple overtaken as world’s second most valuable company

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Some of the biggest companies in the world, such as Microsoft and Google, have since surged ahead of Apple with their own use of AI.

But with this week’s announcement Apple has thrust itself into the race.

It came after the company has seen slowing global sales over the past years and was recently overtaken as the second most valuable company in the world by Nvidia – an AI microchip maker.

The deal will also put ChatGPT, the highflying AI start-up, directly into the phones of possibly millions of users and place Apple alongside other tech companies in betting that AI is the future of their industry.

Apple chief executive Tim Cook said the AI features would be “indispensable” in the company’s products in the years ahead.

But as recently as May of last year, the Washington Post reported that Mr Cook was less enthusiastic on AI, saying generative AI still had “a number of issues that need to be sorted”.

After Monday’s conference, Apple executives said the company was keen to do more deals with other AI chatbots to give users more options for generative tools.

Popularly used AI models have often been pointed out as having faults, including making up information.

Continue Reading

US

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Published

on

By

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Children are among the fatalities in a mass shooting at a child’s birthday party in California.

Police said four people had died and 10 were wounded in the incident in Stockton, about 60 miles east of San Francisco.

Officers were called on Saturday to a banquet hall just before 6pm local time (2am UK time) and district attorney Ron Freitas said children were among the dead.

He said the attacker was still at large.

First responders walk through a parking lot near the scene of a mass shooting in Stockton, California. Pics: AP
Image:
First responders walk through a parking lot near the scene of a mass shooting in Stockton, California. Pics: AP

“We can confirm at this time that approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have been confirmed deceased,” San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said on X.

The post said early indications suggest it could be a “targeted incident” but that information remains limited.

Police have so far not disclosed the attacker’s identity and the motive is unclear.

Stockton’s vice mayor Jason Lee confirmed on Facebook that the shooting on Lucile Avenue happened at a child’s birthday party.

Pics: AP
Image:
Pics: AP

Mayor Christina Fugazzi also said that “families should be together instead of at the hospital, standing next to their loved one, praying that they survive”.

California governor Gavin Newsom’s office added that he had been briefed on the “horrific shooting”.

Continue Reading

US

Venezuela accuses Trump of ‘colonial threat’ after US president ‘closes’ its airspace

Published

on

By

Venezuela accuses Trump of 'colonial threat' after US president 'closes' its airspace

Venezuela has accused Donald Trump of a “colonial threat” after he said the airspace “above and surrounding” the country should be considered closed “in its entirety”.

Mr Trump made the declaration amid growing tensions with President Maduro – and as the US continues attacking boats it claims are carrying drugs from Venezuela.

He wrote on Truth Social: “To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.”

Air traffic above Venezuela on Saturday afternoon. Pic: FlightRadar24
Image:
Air traffic above Venezuela on Saturday afternoon. Pic: FlightRadar24

Venezuela’s foreign affairs office called it a “colonial threat” and “illegal, and unjustified aggression”.

It accused the president of threatening “the sovereignty of the national airspace… and the full sovereignty of the Venezuelan state”.

President Trump’s words were part of a “permanent policy of aggression against our country” that breached international law and the UN Charter, it added.

The Pentagon and the White House have so far not given any additional detail on the president’s statement.

Mr Trump’s post comes after the American aviation regulator last week warned of a “potentially hazardous situation” over Venezuela due to a “worsening security situation”.

Nicolas Maduro is widely considered a dictator by the West. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Nicolas Maduro is widely considered a dictator by the West. Pic: Reuters

The South American nation revoked operating rights for six major airlines that went on to suspend flights to the country.

Mr Trump warned a few days ago that land operations against suspected Venezuelan drug traffickers would begin “very soon”.

Such a move would be a major escalation in Operation Southern Spear – the US naval deployment in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific that’s so far attacked at least 21 vessels.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Three killed as US strikes another alleged drug boat

Venezuela has said the attacks, which have killed more than 80 people, amount to murder.

The US has released videos of boats being targeted, but hasn’t provided evidence – such as photos of their cargo – to support the smuggling claims.

Read more:
Trump may have another motive in war on drugs
The US-Venezuela crisis explained

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Venezuela claims Trump creating ‘fables’ to justify ‘war’

The Pentagon has sought to justify the strikes by labelling the drug gangs as “foreign terrorist organisations” – putting them on par with the likes of al Qaeda.

It claims the boats targeted are carrying drugs bound for the US, although Sky’s chief correspondent says the final destination is likely to be Europe and West Africa.

President Maduro has denied Mr Trump’s claims he is involved in the drugs trade himself and said his counterpart wants to oust him so he can install a more sympathetic government.

Venezuelan officials have also claimed Mr Trump’s true motivation is access to the country’s plentiful oil reserves.

Mr Maduro is widely considered a dictator who’s cheated elections and has been president since 2013.

Continue Reading

US

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Published

on

By

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Children are among the fatalities in a mass shooting at a child’s birthday party in California.

Police said four people had died and 10 were wounded in the incident in Stockton, about 60 miles east of San Francisco.

Officers were called to a banquet hall just before 6pm local time (2am UK time) on Saturday and local district attorney Ron Freitas said children were among the dead.

He said the attacker was still at large.

“We can confirm at this time that approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have been
confirmed deceased,” San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said on X.

The post said early indications suggest it could be a “targeted incident” but that information remains limited.

Police have so far not disclosed the attacker’s identity and the motive is unclear.

More on California

Stockton’s Vice Mayor Jason Lee confirmed on Facebook that the shooting on Lucile Avenue happened at a child’s birthday party.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the latest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Continue Reading

Trending