Connect with us

Published

on

Apple is set to integrate artificial intelligence into its new phones, but billionaire Elon Musk has threatened a ban of the devices at his companies over what he alleges are security fears.

The tech giant held its annual developer conference in California on Monday during which it made the long-awaited announcement that it was bringing AI to its devices.

Dubbed Apple Intelligence, it is a collection of features that includes text and image generation and an improved Siri voice assistant.

This will be supported by integrating the already popular ChatGPT into the company’s phones.

However, Tesla and X owner Elon Musk, who has a long history with ChatGPT’s owners OpenAI, warned that he would ban iPhones from all of his companies over the move.

Musk has a fractious relationship with OpenAI – he was a founder of the company but has since turned against it and accused it of failing to follow its founding principles.

Apple’s new AI system would revamp Siri, allowing it to mine information from across a user’s apps.

More on Apple

But South African billionaire Musk said the decision was an “unacceptable security violation” and said that if OpenAI is integrated at the OS level “then Apple devices will be banned at my companies”.

He accused the Silicon Valley company, without evidence, of turning over user data to OpenAI.

Elon Musk. Pic: PA
Image:
Elon Musk. Pic: PA

Apple's WWDC developer conference this week held at Apple Park headquarters. Pic: AP
Image:
Apple’s WWDC developer conference this week held at Apple Park headquarters. Pic: AP

In their announcement, Apple said that the new AI system would be rooted in privacy, carrying out most processes on the device itself.

Any computing done externally would be done through a new procedure called private cloud computer, Apple said – and claimed it would keep users’ data secure.

They added that users would have to give permission before any request was shared with OpenAI.

The row reflects diverging views surrounding AI, and how quickly the technology is being developed and implemented.

When OpenAI announced ChatGPT back in November 2022 it fired the starting gun on the tech industry’s AI arms race.

Read more from Sky News:
Electric headset for depression recommended after NHS trial
Genetics testing firm investigated over data breach
Apple overtaken as world’s second most valuable company

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Some of the biggest companies in the world, such as Microsoft and Google, have since surged ahead of Apple with their own use of AI.

But with this week’s announcement Apple has thrust itself into the race.

It came after the company has seen slowing global sales over the past years and was recently overtaken as the second most valuable company in the world by Nvidia – an AI microchip maker.

The deal will also put ChatGPT, the highflying AI start-up, directly into the phones of possibly millions of users and place Apple alongside other tech companies in betting that AI is the future of their industry.

Apple chief executive Tim Cook said the AI features would be “indispensable” in the company’s products in the years ahead.

But as recently as May of last year, the Washington Post reported that Mr Cook was less enthusiastic on AI, saying generative AI still had “a number of issues that need to be sorted”.

After Monday’s conference, Apple executives said the company was keen to do more deals with other AI chatbots to give users more options for generative tools.

Popularly used AI models have often been pointed out as having faults, including making up information.

Continue Reading

US

Justin Timberlake addresses ‘tough week’ at first concert since drink-driving arrest

Published

on

By

Justin Timberlake addresses 'tough week' at first concert since drink-driving arrest

Justin Timberlake has performed his first gig since his arrest for alleged drink-driving, telling the crowd it had been a “tough week”. 

The US star is currently on his The Forget Tomorrow World Tour and performed in Chicago on Friday night after being arrested earlier this week.

He told the screaming crowd: “We’ve been together through ups and downs, lefts and rights.

“It’s been a tough week, but you’re here and I’m here, and nothing can change this moment right now.”

The singer appeared emotional as he added: “I know sometimes I’m hard to love but you keep on loving me and I love you right back.”

Timberlake was in Long Island in New York state – having reportedly had dinner with friends – when he was pulled over by police in the early hours of Tuesday.

Officers said the 43-year-old had failed to pause at a stop sign and was seen not being able to stay in his lane.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Timberlake’s car caught on CCTV

Timberlake was held overnight and formally charged with a DWI (driving while intoxicated) misdemeanour at Sag Harbor Village Justice Court on Tuesday morning before being released.

According to a source talking to Page Six, the officer who pulled Timberlake over “was so young that he didn’t even know” who the star was.

A second source told the celebrity news outlet that during the arrest, Timberlake said: “This is going to ruin the tour.”

Justin Timberlake.
Pic: Sag Harbor/Reuters
Image:
Timberlake’s mugshot after his arrest. Pic: Sag Harbor/Reuters

Timberlake, who rose to fame with boyband NSYNC before finding huge success as a solo artist with hits including Like I Love You, Cry Me A River, SexyBack and Mirrors, is due to perform in Chicago again on Saturday night.

Further shows are scheduled across the US, Canada and Europe between June and December.

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

According to court documents filed about the star’s arrest, there was “a strong odour of an alcoholic beverage… emanating from his breath, he was unable to divide attention, he had slowed speech, he was unsteady afoot and he performed poorly on all standardised field sobriety tests”.

Timberlake also told officers he had one martini and was following some friends home, and refused to take a breath test.

His lawyer has said he is “looking forward to vigorously defending” the singer.

Timberlake’s next court date is scheduled for 26 July.

Continue Reading

US

Arkansas supermarket shooting leaves three dead and 10 wounded as gunman arrested

Published

on

By

Arkansas supermarket shooting leaves three dead and 10 wounded as gunman arrested

A supermarket shooting in Arkansas, US, has left three people dead and 10 others wounded.

Parked cars and shop windows were left riddled with bullet holes after a gunman opened fire on Friday, forcing bystanders to dive for cover.

Among the injured were two police officers who shot back at the gunman – before he was arrested.

The incident took place around 11.30am local time at the Mad Butcher supermarket in Fordyce – a city of just over 3,000 people located 65 miles south of Little Rock.

Colonel Mike Hagar, director of Arkansas State Police, told reporters: “It’s tragic, our hearts are broken”.

The gunman was identified by police as 44-year-old Travis Eugene Posey.

Posey was taken to jail and charged with three counts of murder.

Other charges are still pending and no court date has been set, according to the inmate roster.

Pic: AP
Image:
Police on the scene of the attack in the aftermath of the shooting. Pic: AP

Neither Posey’s, nor the officers’ injuries were life threatening, but among the others the injuries ranged from “not life-threatening to extremely critical”, Col Hagar said.

It wasn’t immediately clear what the motive for the shooting was, nor if it took place predominantly inside or outside the shop.

Roderick Rogers, a member of the city council, witnessed the attack.

He said he saw people fleeing for cover in all directions and added: “People were just jumping into cars to get to safety.”

Law enforcement officers work the scene of the shooting. Pic: AP
Image:
Law enforcement officers work the scene of the shooting. Pic: AP

Amiya Doherty said she was in her mum’s car in the car park of the shop when she heard what she thought were fireworks.

But she then saw a man holding a gun and firing and said she ducked out of view.

“I held my sister’s hand and I told her I love her,” Ms Doherty told Little Rock television station KATV.

Images from the scene showed a slew of bullet holes in the grocery store’s window, and spent shell casings strewn throughout the parking lot.

The shooting took place at the Mad Butcher grocery store in Fordyce, Arkansas. Pic: AP
Image:
The shooting took place at the Mad Butcher grocery store in Fordyce, Arkansas. Pic: AP

Arkansas governor Sarah Huckabee Sanders said she had been briefed on the shooting.

In a post on social media she added: “I am thankful to law enforcement and first responders for their quick and heroic action to save lives.

“My prayers are with the victims and all those impacted by this.”

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Read more from Sky News:
Hollywood legend Donald Sutherland has died
Shocking moment drunk driver ploughs into cyclists
Republican ‘sorry’ for repeatedly pouring water in colleague’s bag

The White House said President Joe Biden has been briefed on the shooting and his team will continue to keep him updated.

David Rodriguez, 58, had stopped at his local petrol station in the town when he heard what he thought were fireworks.

But he too saw people fleeing from the shop and one person lying on the ground.

“The police started to show up, and then there was massive gunfire and ambulances pulling up,” he said.

“The bullets were just flying.”

Continue Reading

US

Man found after 10 days lost in California woods tells how he survived

Published

on

By

Man found after 10 days lost in California woods tells how he survived

A man has been found after spending 10 days lost in a California wood.

Lukas McClish, 34, was last seen on the morning of 11 June near Big Basin Redwood State Park, around 14 miles north of Santa Cruz.

He was reported missing on 16 June, according to the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office.

Pic: San Mateo County Fire Department
Image:
Pic: San Mateo County Fire Department

The sheriff’s office said it received multiple reports of witnesses hearing someone yelling for help.

The force then used several drones to determine Mr McClish’s exact location.

State Parks rangers were the first to discover him and fire crews helped bring him to safety on Friday.

Mr McClish was only going for a three-hour hike before work when he got lost, he told local media.

“I didn’t bring anything because I thought I was doing a three-hour hike to go to work,” he said.

When Mr McClish got lost, he said he had only a flashlight and folding scissors.

“So, I kind of just hiked,” he added. “Each day, I go up a canyon, down a canyon to the next waterfall, sit down by the waterfall, drink water out of my boot.”

Pic: San Mateo County Fire Department
Image:
Pic: San Mateo County Fire Department

Mr McClish said he was “comfortable the whole time I was out there” and “wasn’t worried about it”.

“I had a mountain lion that was following me, but it was cool,” he added. “It kept its distances. I think it was just somebody watching over me.”

Read more from Sky News:
Starmer attends Swift concert – and fans are quick to make puns
Interview with Naomi Campbell: 3 hours late but she didn’t disappoint

Mr McClish drank water from creeks, ate wild berries and slept on a bed of wet leaves while yelling for help.

He said: “I want a burrito or a taco bowl. That’s what I thought about every day when I, after the first five days, when I started to kind of realise that I might be in over my head.”

Mr McClish had no major injuries and was reunited with his family.

“This truly was a team effort with the best outcome we could have hoped for,” the sheriff’s office said.

Continue Reading

Trending