Connect with us

Published

on

Evgeniia Kozlova was at home in St Petersburg last weekend when she got the call from her Israeli liaison officers.

“They asked, ‘how are things, how are you feeling? Are you alone there? Are you sitting down?’

“I dropped the phone to one side, and it fell under the table.”

Israel-Hamas war latest: IDF strikes back after Hezbollah fires 160 rockets

Her son, Andrey, had been living in Israel and working as a security guard at the Nova music festival when he was kidnapped by Hamas on October 7th.

After eight months of hoping he was still alive but hearing nothing about his condition or whereabouts, Evgeniia feared the worst.

Yevgenia Kozlov, who's son Andrey was taken hostage by Hamas

“Suddenly I heard from under the table ‘it’s good news, good news!’ and so I crawled under the table.

More on Gaza

“Did you say good news?

“‘Yes, they are bringing Andrey over by helicopter, he’s almost in Israel now!’

“They said it three times, and I still couldn’t comprehend. Who is bringing whom over, and where?

“They said it over and over until I got it. From that moment on I haven’t stopped smiling, I haven’t stopped laughing!”

Mikhail Kozlov, divorced from his wife but on good terms, packed instantly and ran over to join her. They flew to Israel the following day.

An emotional video of them being reunited with the son in an Israeli hospital showed Andrey breaking down and hugging his mother’s legs.

Read more: The hostages rescued by Israel

“During the eight months we’ve been waiting for him we feared he would be changed a lot, that he would be a different man and we would have to help him rehabilitate, help him recover,” Evgeniia said.

Footage released by Israeli counterterrorism police showed the moment they were rescued amid heavy explosions and gunfire.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Video of hostage rescue

As well as Andrey, three other hostages were rescued: Noa Argamani, Almog Meir Jan and Shlomi Ziv.

Ziv, Jan and Kozlov were held together. Kozlov doesn’t speak fluent Hebrew or English and so it was hard for him to communicate with the other two, but they supported each other through their captivity and remain close.

“One of the phrases that really scared or hurt us, was when he said, ‘there are some things I will never tell you about,’ as for everything else, yes, he tells us, but it’s as if he’s playing storyteller, as if to entertain us,” Evgeniia added.

“Even the fact that his hands and feet were tied for two months – his hands and feet were tied – he tells it as if it were a joke.

Yevgenia and Mikhail Kozlov, who's son Andrey was taken hostage by Hamas on 7 October

“At first, their hands were tied behind their backs, and he told us how proud he was that he managed to eat with his hands tied, unaided.

“Andrey said that they are kept in very difficult conditions. His guards told him ‘your conditions are good compared to the rest, they are kept in much worse conditions’.

“The main thought he carried out of there was that all those remaining there must be freed. For a living, normal person it is unbearable to stay there for such a long time, eight months.

“These are impossible conditions. Impossible.”

Hamas claims at least 274 Gazans were killed during the raid and hundreds injured. Mobile phone footage shows scores of dead and wounded in the crowded Nuseriat market area.

Israel says the death toll was below a hundred and blames Hamas for holding the hostages in a busy civilian area, but the United Nations has suggested both sides could be guilty of war crimes.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

From Sunday: Hundreds killed as hostages rescued

Diplomatic efforts to secure a new ceasefire and hostage deal are progressing unsteadily, despite the presence of US secretary of state Antony Blinken in the region again.

Hamas formally responded to President Biden’s proposal on Tuesday night but reportedly want amendments that might not be acceptable to Israel.

Both sides continue to differ over when a permanent ceasefire should come into force: Hamas insists on it being agreed before any deal is implemented, whilst Israel is sticking firm on its commitment to keep fighting.

Read more from Sky News:
Israel hit school while ‘targeting Hamas’

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Tensions have also risen to new levels on Israel’s northern border with Lebanon. More than 160 rockets were fired into Israel on Wednesday morning after Israel killed a Hezbollah commander on Tuesday, the most senior killed during the war so far.

No casualties were reported, although small fires broke out where some of the rockets landed.

Continue Reading

World

Software issue hits thousands of Airbus A320 planes – UK passengers warned of potential disruption

Published

on

By

Software issue hits thousands of Airbus A320 planes - UK passengers warned of potential disruption

Passengers have been warned of potential disruption after thousands of Airbus planes were hit by a software issue.

The aircraft affected are from the A320 family – which are used by numerous airlines – and need a systems update before they can fly again.

Airbus issued the alert after analysis of a flight involving an A320 showed “intense solar radiation may corrupt data critical to the functioning of flight controls”.

The Airbus A320 family is the most-delivered jetliner in history.. File pic: iStock
Image:
The Airbus A320 family is the most-delivered jetliner in history.. File pic: iStock

It is understood the incident that triggered the warning involved a JetBlue flight from Cancun, Mexico, to Newark on 30 October.

That flight was diverted to Tampa International Airport after it suffered a flight control issue and experienced a sharp loss of altitude, which injured at least 15 passengers.

An Airbus spokesperson told Sky News the software change would affect up to 6,000 planes.

The fix involves A320 aircraft reverting to an earlier software version and Airbus stressed it would only take two to three hours for most planes.

However, it said some jets would also need new hardware and therefore would be affected for longer. Industry sources estimated about 1,000 aircraft could be in this position.

America’s aviation watchdog has issued an emergency order to immediately replace or modify the software, mirroring one from the European Union Aviation Safety Agency.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Solving Airbus software issue could take ‘several hours per aircraft’

‘Very concerning’

Gatwick said a “small number” of carriers based there were affected, but warned disruption was still possible. It urged passengers to contact their airline.

Heathrow said it wasn’t expecting any disruption.

“The good news is it seems the impact on UK airlines seems limited, with a smaller number of aircraft requiring more complex software and hardware changes,” said Transport Secretary Heidi Alexander.

She said it was “heartening this issue has been identified and will be addressed so swiftly”.

Airbus is understood to have traced the issue to the ELAC (Elevator and Aileron Computer) system, which sends commands to elevators on the plane’s tail. These in turn control the aircraft’s pitch or nose angle.

Travel expert Simon Calder said the situation was “very concerning” but stressed “aviation remains extraordinarily safe”.

He warned customers might not be entitled to compensation if they’re delayed as the issue would be considered out of airlines’ control.

Read more:
Which airlines are affected by Airbus disruption?
Why plane’s altitude drop led to thousands needing updates

What have airlines said?

EasyJet said it had already completed the software update on many aircraft and was working closely with safety authorities.

“We plan to operate our flying programme normally on Saturday and ask that customers travelling continue to monitor their flights on flight tracker,” it added.

The airline said passengers would be informed of any changes by email, SMS, or the flight tracker

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

How the US is affected by Airbus software issue

British Airways said it wasn’t expecting any problems and that only three of its planes were affected.

For American Airlines – the world’s largest operator of the A320 – the issue was more significant, with 209 aircraft needing an update.

It comes on a huge travel weekend stateside as many travel home after Thanksgiving. However, the US carrier said the fix would be completed for the vast majority of its planes on Friday.

Others affected include Japan’s All Nippon Airways, which cancelled 65 domestic flights on Saturday, and Air France – which said it was cancelling 35 flights.

Ireland’s Aer Lingus said a limited number of aircraft were impacted, while Wizz Air has started the software update but said some weekend flights could still be affected.

“Passengers who booked directly with Wizz Air via the website or mobile app will be notified of any schedule changes,” the airline said.

Continue Reading

World

Why Airbus plane’s sudden drop in altitude led to thousands needing software updates

Published

on

By

Why Airbus plane's sudden drop in altitude led to thousands needing software updates

Thousands of planes from Airbus’s widely-used A320 family have been ordered for repairs following a software issue.

The aircraft manufacturer is carrying out software updates for 6,000 of its jets – around half the global fleet – threatening travel disruption for airline passengers.

The UK’s Civil Aviation Authority said it expects some disruptions to airlines and flights, with easyJet and Wizz Air saying they will take some planes briefly out of service to do the repairs.

But why have airlines been told to carry out a software update for the planes, and how is solar radiation involved?

Follow the latest updates on this story

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Airbus software works to take ‘days’

What triggered the repair order?

It is understood the incident that triggered the unexpected repair order involved a JetBlue flight from Cancun, Mexico, to Newark, New Jersey, on 30 October.

The flight suffered a control problem and a sudden uncommanded drop in altitude, basically a sharp loss of height, which left 15 passengers with injuries and forced the flight to make an emergency landing in Tampa, Florida.

After investigating the incident, Airbus said “intense solar radiation” may corrupt data critical to the functioning of flight controls.

The issue is known as bit flip, where solar radiation can strike a computer’s memory, changing its data from a 0 to a 1 and vice versa – a risk which also affects spacecraft.

Read more: Which airlines are affected by Airbus disruption?

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Ex-pilot tells Sky News how long it could take to solve Airbus software issue

‘Very concerning’ – but ‘very low likelihood’ of such an event

The situation was “very concerning”, travel expert Simon Calder told Sky News presenter Gillian Joseph.

However, he said there was a “very low likelihood” of such an event happening, adding: “In aviation, nothing is taken for granted.”

He said: “Aviation remains extraordinarily safe. And that is partly because as soon as a possible threat is identified, then action is taken immediately.”

What is the fix?

The fix involves reverting to earlier software, but must be carried out before the planes can fly again, according to a bulletin to airlines.

Airbus said for most of the affected aircraft, the required update would only take between two to three hours.

However, some jets may need to have their hardware replaced to adopt the required software – a process which would take a longer time.

The Airbus bulletin traced the problem to a flight system called ELAC (Elevator and Aileron Computer), which sends commands from the pilot’s side-stick to elevators at the rear of the plane, Reuters reported.

Those elevators control the aircraft’s pitch or nose angle, determining which way it is flying.

The A320 was first launched in 1984 and is the main competitor to the Boeing 737 MAX, which was grounded worldwide between March 2019 and December 2020, as well as during January 2024, after fatal crashes in 2018 and 2019 caused by faulty flight-control software.

Continue Reading

World

‘Even if my parents are dead, I just want to know’: Hong Kong residents stunned by tower tragedy

Published

on

By

'Even if my parents are dead, I just want to know': Hong Kong residents stunned by tower tragedy

What do you do, how do you spend your time, when you’ve just lost everything you have? 

This was the dilemma for thousands today in Hong Kong.

On the whole, it seemed people chose to stay close to the scene.

Hong Kong fire block latest: More arrests in deadly tower blaze

The square that had become the heart of the community response was heaving. Many poured through the piles of clothes, blankets and other supplies.

Some simply sat and watched on, their faces blank and stunned.

Birds fly over the burned buildings at the fire scene at Wang Fuk Court, on 27 November. Pic: AP
Image:
Birds fly over the burned buildings at the fire scene at Wang Fuk Court, on 27 November. Pic: AP


Above them, the seven blackened towers are now still and quiet. The blaze is finally out.

But an unknown number are still lying somewhere inside – and the wait for news is unbearable.

“Even if they are dead, I just want to know,” cries Mr Lau, whose elderly parents lived 27 floors up. His grief is raw and unchecked.

“I want to ask John Lee [Hong Kong’s chief executive], what are you actually doing? All you did was wander around and hold press conferences. What about us?”

His questions reflect a noticeable shift in the tone here.

There is a tension emerging, an anxiety, even an anger.

People look at flames engulfing a building after a fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court on 26 November. Pic: AP
Image:
People look at flames engulfing a building after a fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court on 26 November. Pic: AP

Of course, people are furious with the construction company that was undertaking renovations and is accused of cutting corners.

But that is not their only target.

Many here believe the Beijing-backed government has not enforced good enough safety standards, batting away residents’ concerns and turning a blind eye to issues like overcrowding.

They say it is now too focused on deflecting the blame.

“With every building maintenance project, there are criticisms, but these criticisms are always suppressed,” explains one man who lives in the neighbourhood.

Flowers near the scene. Pic: AP
Image:
Flowers near the scene. Pic: AP

And do you think there’s corruption, I ask?

“Absolutely,” he says.

They are particularly exercised about what they see as an overfocus on the bamboo scaffolding.

Considered almost a part of Hong Kong’s cultural heritage, it was already being phased out. A convenient distraction from other failings, according to people here.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Hundreds missing after Hong Kong fire

Tensions are high, too, between different groups of volunteers.

We witnessed two separate arguments where local grassroots organisers accused some who are part of a government-linked group of attempting to seize control and take the credit.

In the Hong Kong of old, there would almost certainly have been vigils here.

But after a massive crackdown on pro-democracy movements that climaxed in 2019, any mass gathering in today’s Hong Kong is seen as dangerous.

A resident looks at the burned buildings. Pic: AP
Image:
A resident looks at the burned buildings. Pic: AP

Even if it is just to honour the dead.

It feels like the resentments left over from that time are not that far from the surface.

This is still a human tragedy, but the fallout could well be political.

Continue Reading

Trending