Parts of the UK are facing power cuts and widespread travel disruption thanks to Storm Lilian – with high winds forcing Leeds Festival organisers to shut two stages.
The storm surged across Wales and England this morning and left more than 60,000 homes across the north of England without power or facing supply issues.
Northern Powergrid said it has experienced “high levels of disruption to power supplies with over 63,418 customers having been affected so far”.
The worst affected area is West Yorkshire, it added. It said it has managed to “reconnect more than 27,000 customers of those who have been impacted”.
SHARE WITH SKY NEWS
Have you been affected?
You can share your story, pictures or video with us using our app, private messaging or email.
By sending us your video footage/ photographs/ audio you agree we can broadcast, publish and edit the material.
A statement posted on Northern Powergrid’s website said: “We know how difficult it can be for our customers during a power cut and we will continue to work throughout the storm to get the power back on as quickly as possible.”
Northern Rail has reported issues across its network, with services to and from cities including Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Wigan affected.
Passengers were this morning advised to avoid travel, and disruption was expected until 11am.
A number of routes in Wales – Wrexham General to Chester and Bidston, Machynlleth to Shrewsbury – have also faced disruption.
Image: A tree branch blocks a cycle path in Leeds city centre. Pic: PA
Image: Police on the scene as workers remove fallen tree branches blocking roads and tram routes in Manchester. Pic: Reuters
As strong winds hit Leeds Festival, organisers urged people camping to “stay in your tents if you are onsite and feel safe to do so”.
A post on X continued: “If you are in your car, please remain there. If you are not yet at the festival site, please delay your arrival.”
They later said two stages – the BBC Radio 1 stage and the brand new ‘Aux’ venue – will not feature performances today.
Flights have also been disrupted with British Airways cancelling 14 departures that had been due to take off from London’s Heathrow. A number of other aircraft were delayed.
A spokesperson for the airline said the disruption was “due to restrictions imposed by air traffic control as a result of adverse weather across the UK”.
Image: Scaffolding that has been blown over in Rhyl, Wales, as storm Lilian hits the UK. Pic: David Bailey/PA
What’s the forecast for the rest of the weekend?
A yellow weather warning for rain is in place across much of South East England, for 6am to 1pm on Saturday.
The warning covers an area from the Isle of Wight up to Ipswich, Suffolk, and includes London.
People should expect “spells of rain, heavy at times, likely to cause some travel disruption and perhaps flooding in a few places”, the Met Office said.
The North and North West will continue to see “a fairly unsettled weekend”, with various fronts moving in and bringing more persistent rain, particularly for parts of western Scotland and Northern Ireland, according to the Met Office.
Temperatures in the South East will reach 21C (69.8F) on Saturday and Sunday and 23C (73.4F) on Monday, slightly below average for the time of year.
On Sunday, southern Britain and Ireland will be mainly dry, with some sunshine, but elsewhere there’ll be showers or longer spells of rain. It’ll be on the cool side again and rather blustery, especially in the North.
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News
A similar picture is expected for bank holiday Monday as southern and eastern Britain will be mainly dry, with bright or sunny spells while the wind will pick up again in the North and West.
Temperatures will remain below average for most of the country.
Looking further ahead, more settled weather is expected later next week to end the month and season, Sky’s Jo Robinson said.
There’s also growing confidence that very warm or hot conditions will affect the South at least.
Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.
A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.
“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”
Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.
Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.
Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.
He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.
Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.
“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.
“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.
“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.
“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.
“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”
Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.
He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.
Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.
A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.
“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.