The deaths of around 2,000 mental health patients will be investigated as a long-awaited new public inquiry begins on Monday.
Warning: The following article contains details some readers may find distressing
Families of the patients who died in Essex have been campaigning for years, claiming they have not been told the truth about what happened to their loved ones.
Melanie Leahy, whose son Matthew is among those who died, believes the large number of deaths being investigated will continue to grow.
“I think we’re going to find there’s a lot, lot more. And I think it’s absolutely horrendous,” she told Sky News.
“I believe it’s a cull. It’s a cull of our most vulnerable, our most gentle, our most needy.”
Matthew Leahy, 20, died in November 2012.
More on Mental Health
Related Topics:
He was found unresponsive in his room at the Linden Centre, a secure mental health unit in Chelmsford, eight days after he was sectioned.
Image: Melanie Leahy in 2012
His mother received a call to tell her what had happened. She raced to the hospital but it was too late.
She recalls going in and “there lay Matthew, on the trolley, he had a blue hospital gown on… And in that instant I just wanted to go and grab him and hold him and bring him back to life”.
Mrs Leahy says she was told by staff: “Don’t touch, he’s a crime scene.”
“I was taken into a side room and asked what undertaker I had planned,” she remembers. “I was planning his 21st birthday.”
It was soon after Mr Leahy’s death that she grew concerned that things she was being told about what happened didn’t add up.
Mrs Leahy also has unanswered questions about a serious allegation her son had made days before his death.
Mr Leahy had called his father and told him he had been raped.
He then called police and can be heard on the 999 call telling the operator: “I’ve been raped and the doctors refuse to acknowledge it.”
An inquest into Mr Leahy’s death found it occurred after a “series of multiple failings and missed opportunities”. Staff even falsified his care plan after he died.
Image: Matthew Leahy was found unresponsive in his room at the Linden Centre in Essex
During years of fighting for answers, Mrs Leahy has met many other families who have also lost loved ones who were mental health patients in Essex.
In 2021 the Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust was fined £1.5m over failures in care that led to the deaths of 11 patients after pleading guilty to safety breaches that meant it failed to “prevent suicides”.
Since then the number of deaths under investigation has continued to grow.
The 2,000 deaths the new inquiry will examine all took place between the start of 2000 and the end of 2023.
Priya Singh is a lawyer representing dozens of families involved in the inquiry and says the details of cases she’s involved with are harrowing.
“Allegations of physical abuse and sexual abuse have come up many, many, many times,” she told Sky News.
“I don’t feel that we’re just only looking at negligence here. We’re looking at abuse.”
She believes it’s essential that national recommendations are made while the new inquiry is ongoing, to protect mental health patients across the NHS.
“This is definitely happening all over the country. Psychiatric care in this country is almost not fit for purpose right now,” she says.
The inquiry will be known as the Lampard Inquiry, chaired by Baroness Lampard who previously led the investigation into abuse by Jimmy Savile in the NHS.
Paul Scott, chief executive of Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (EPUT), said: “We know how painful this time will be for those who have lost loved ones and our thoughts are with them.
“We will continue to do all we can to support Baroness Lampard and her team to provide the answers that patients, families and carers are seeking.”
Anyone feeling emotionally distressed or suicidal can call Samaritans for help on 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org in the UK. In the US, call the Samaritans branch in your area or 1 (800) 273-TALK.
Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.
A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.
“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”
Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.
Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.
Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.
He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.
Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.
“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.
“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.
“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.
“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.
“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”
Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.
He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.
Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.
A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.
“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.