Connect with us

Published

on

Ransomware has long been plaguing American municipalities. It appeared to be another typical ransomware attack that impacted the city of Columbus, Ohio, this past July. The city’s response to the hack, however, was not, and it has cybersecurity and legal experts across the country questioning its motives.

Connor Goodwolf (legal name is David Leroy Ross) is an IT consultant who plumbs the dark web as part of his job. “I track dark web-type crimes, criminal organizations, and stuff like what the Telegram CEO has been arrested for,” Goodwolf said.

So when word got out that the city of Columbus, his hometown, had been breached, Goodwolf did what he does: he poked around online. It didn’t take him long to discover what the hackers had in their possession.

“It wasn’t the biggest, but it was one of the most impactful breaches I have seen,” Goodwolf said.

In some ways, he described it as a routine breach, with personal identifiable information, protected health information, Social Security numbers and driver’s license photos exposed. However, because multiple databases were breached, it was more encompassing than other attacks. According to Goodwolf, the hackers had breached multiple databases from the city, the police, and the prosecutor’s office. There were arrest records and sensitive information about minors and domestic violence victims. Some of the breached databases, he says, went back to 1999. 

Goodwolf found over three terabytes of data that took over 8 hours to download.

“The first thing I see is the prosecutor’s database, and I’m like ‘holy sh-t’ these are domestic violence victims. When it comes to domestic violence victims, we need to protect them the most because they have already been victimized once, and now they are again by having their information exposed,” he said.

Goodwolf’s first action was to contact the city to let them know how serious the breach was, because what he saw contradicted official statements. At a press conference on August 13,  Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther said: “The personal data that the threat actor published to the dark web was either encrypted or corrupted, so the majority of the data came by the threat actor is unusable.”

But what Goodwolf was finding didn’t support that view. “I tried to reach out to the city multiple times to multiple departments and was blown off,” he said.

Google-owned Mandiant, as well as many other top cybersecurity firms, have been tracking a continued increase in ransomware attacks, both in prevalence and severity, and the rise of the Rhysida Group behind the Columbus hack, which has come into prominence within the last year.

The Rhysida Group claimed responsibility for the hack. While not much is known about the cyber gang, Goodwolf and other security experts say they appear to be state-sponsored and based in Eastern Europe, possibly linked to Russia. Goodwolf says these ransomware gangs are “professional operations” with a staff, paid vacation, and PR people.

“They have ramped up the attacks and targets since last autumn,” he said.

The U.S. government’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency issued a bulletin about Rhysida last November.

Goodwolf said that because no one from the city responded to him he went to the local media and shared data with journalists to get the word out about the seriousness of the breach. And that is when he heard from the city of Columbus, in the form of a lawsuit and a temporary restraining order preventing him from disseminating additional information. 

The city defended its response in a statement to CNBC:

“The City initially moved to obtain this order, which was granted by the Court, to prevent the dissemination of sensitive and confidential information, potentially including the identities of undercover police officers, that threatens public safety and criminal investigations.”

The city’s temporary 14-day restraining order against Goodwolf has since expired, and now it has a preliminary injunction and an agreement with Goodwolf not to release more data.

“It should be noted that the Court order does not prohibit the defendant from discussing the data breach or even describing what kind of data was exposed,” the city’s statement added. “It simply prohibits the individual from disseminating the stolen data posted on the dark web. The City remains engaged with federal authorities and cyber security experts to respond to this cyber intrusion.”

Meanwhile, the mayor did have to perform a mea culpa at a subsequent press conference, saying his initial statements were based on the information he had at the time. “It was the best information we had at the time. Clearly, we discovered that that was inaccurate information and I have to accept responsibility for that.”

Realizing the exposure to residents was greater than first thought, the city is offering two years of free credit monitoring from Experian. This includes anyone who has had contact with the city of Columbus via an arrest or other business. Columbus is also working with Legal Aid to see what additional protections are needed for domestic violence victims who may have been compromised or need help with civil protection orders.

To date, the city has not paid the hackers, who were demanding $2 million in ransom.   

‘He’s Not Edward Snowden’

Those who study cybersecurity law and work within the realm expressed surprise at Columbus filing a civil lawsuit against the researcher.

“Lawsuits against data security researchers are rare,” said Raymond Ku, professor of law at Case Western Reserve University. On the rare occasion they do happen, he said, it is usually when the researcher is alleged to have disclosed how a flaw was or can be exploited, which would then allow others to take advantage of the flaw as well.

“He wasn’t Edward Snowden,” said Kyle Hanslovan, CEO of cybersecurity company Huntress, who described himself as troubled by the city of Columbus’s response and what it could mean for future breaches. Snowden was a government contract employee who leaked classified information and faced criminal charges, but considered himself a whistleblower. Goodwolf, Hanslovan says, is a Good Samaritan who independently found the breached data.

“In this case, it appears we have just silenced someone who, as far as I can tell, appears to be a security researcher who did the bare minimum and confirmed the official statements made were not true. This can’t possibly be an appropriate use of the courts,” Hanslovan said, predicting the case will be quickly overturned.

Columbus City Attorney Zach Klein said during a September press conference that the case was “not about freedom of speech or whistleblowing. This is about downloading and disclosure of stolen criminal investigatory records.”

Hanslovan worries about the ripple effect where cybersecurity consultants and researchers are afraid to do their jobs for fear of being sued. “The bigger story here is are we seeing the emergence of a new playbook” for hacking response in which individuals are silenced, and that should not be welcomed, he said. “Silencing any opinion, even for 14 days, could be enough to prevent something credible from coming to light, and that terrifies me,” Hanslovan said. “That voice needs to be heard. As we see bigger cybersecurity incidents come up, I am worried that folks will be more concerned bringing them to light.”

Scott Dylan, founder of United Kingdom-based venture capital firm NexaTech Ventures, also thinks the actions of the city of Columbus could induce a chilling effect on the field of cybersecurity.

“As the field of cyberlaw continues to mature, this case is likely to be referenced in future discussions about the role of researchers in the aftermath of data breaches,” Dylan said.

He says legal frameworks must evolve to keep pace with the sophistication of both cyberattacks and the ethical dilemmas they generate, and the approach taken by Columbus is a mistake.

Meanwhile, the legal process will grind on for Goodwolf. Despite Columbus and Goodwolf reaching an agreement last week on the dissemination of information, the city is still suing him for damages in a civil suit that could reach $25,000 or higher. Goodwolf is representing himself in his talks with the city, though says that he has a lawyer on standby, if needed.

Some residents have filed a class-action lawsuit against the city. Goodwolf says that 55% of the information breached has been sold onto the dark web, while 45% is available for anyone with the skills to access it.

Dylan thinks the city is taking a big risk, even if its actions may be legally defensible, by creating the appearance of an attempt to silence discourse rather than encourage transparency. “It’s a strategy that could backfire, both in terms of public trust and future litigation,” he said.

“I am hoping the city realizes the mistake of filing a civil suit and the implications not just on security,” Goodwolf said, noting that Intel is building a $1 billion facility in a Columbus suburb. In recent years, the city has been positioning itself as a new tech hub in the Midwest, and attacking white hats and cybersecurity researchers, he said, could cause some in the tech sector to rethink it as a location.

Continue Reading

Technology

Microsoft AI chief Suleyman sees advantage in building models ‘3 or 6 months behind’

Published

on

By

Microsoft AI chief Suleyman sees advantage in building models ‘3 or 6 months behind’

Microsoft owns lots of Nvidia graphics processing units, but it isn’t using them to develop state-of-the-art artificial intelligence models.

There are good reasons for that position, Mustafa Suleyman, the company’s CEO of AI, told CNBC’s Steve Kovach in an interview on Friday. Waiting to build models that are “three or six months behind” offers several advantages, including lower costs and the ability to concentrate on specific use cases, Suleyman said.

It’s “cheaper to give a specific answer once you’ve waited for the first three or six months for the frontier to go first. We call that off-frontier,” he said. “That’s actually our strategy, is to really play a very tight second, given the capital-intensiveness of these models.”

Suleyman made a name for himself as a co-founder of DeepMind, the AI lab that Google bought in 2014, reportedly for $400 million to $650 million. Suleyman arrived at Microsoft last year alongside other employees of the startup Inflection, where he had been CEO.

More than ever, Microsoft counts on relationships with other companies to grow.

It gets AI models from San Francisco startup OpenAI and supplemental computing power from newly public CoreWeave in New Jersey. Microsoft has repeatedly enriched Bing, Windows and other products with OpenAI’s latest systems for writing human-like language and generating images.

Microsoft’s Copilot will gain “memory” to retain key facts about people who repeatedly use the assistant, Suleyman said Friday at an event in Microsoft’s Redmond, Washington, headquarters to commemorate the company’s 50th birthday. That feature came first to OpenAI’s ChatGPT, which has 500 million weekly users.

Through ChatGPT, people can access top-flight large language models such as the o1 reasoning model that takes time before spitting out an answer. OpenAI introduced that capability in September — only weeks later did Microsoft bring a similar capability called Think Deeper to Copilot.

Microsoft occasionally releases open-source small-language models that can run on PCs. They don’t require powerful server GPUs, making them different from OpenAI’s o1.

OpenAI and Microsoft have held a tight relationship shortly after the startup launched its ChatGPT chatbot in late 2022, effectively kicking off the generative AI race. In total, Microsoft has invested $13.75 billion in the startup, but more recently, fissures in the relationship between the two companies have begun to show.

Microsoft added OpenAI to its list of competitors in July 2024, and OpenAI in January announced that it was working with rival cloud provider Oracle on the $500 billion Stargate project. That came after years of OpenAI exclusively relying on Microsoft’s Azure cloud. Despite OpenAI partnering with Oracle, Microsoft in a blog post announced that the startup had “recently made a new, large Azure commitment.”

“Look, it’s absolutely mission-critical that long-term, we are able to do AI self-sufficiently at Microsoft,” Suleyman said. “At the same time, I think about these things over five and 10 year periods. You know, until 2030 at least, we are deeply partnered with OpenAI, who have [had an] enormously successful relationship for us.

Microsoft is focused on building its own AI internally, but the company is not pushing itself to build the most cutting-edge models, Suleyman said.

“We have an incredibly strong AI team, huge amounts of compute, and it’s very important to us that, you know, maybe we don’t develop the absolute frontier, the best model in the world first,” he said. “That’s very, very expensive to do and unnecessary to cause that duplication.”

WATCH: Microsoft Copilot beginning of a seismic shift in AI integration, says Microsoft AI CEO Suleyman

Continue Reading

Technology

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says, as shareholder, tariffs are ‘not good’

Published

on

By

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says, as shareholder, tariffs are 'not good'

President Trump’s new tariffs on goods that the U.S. imports from over 100 countries will have an effect on consumers, former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told CNBC on Friday. Investors will feel the pain, too.

Microsoft’s stock dropped almost 6% in the past two days, as the Nasdaq wrapped up its worst week in five years.

“As a Microsoft shareholder, this kind of thing is not good,” Ballmer said, in an interview with Andrew Ross Sorkin that was tied to Microsoft’s 50th anniversary celebration. “It creates opportunity to be a serious, long-term player.”

Ballmer was sandwiched in between Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and current CEO Satya Nadella for the interview.

“I took just enough economics in college — that tariffs are actually going to bring some turmoil,” said Ballmer, who was succeeded by Nadella in 2014. Gates, Microsoft’s first CEO, convinced Ballmer to join the company in 1980.

Gates, Ballmer and Nadella attended proceedings at Microsoft’s Redmond, Washington, campus on Friday to celebrate its first half-century.

Between the tariffs and weak quarterly revenue guidance announced in January, Microsoft’s stock is on track for its fifth straight month of declines, which would be the worst stretch since 2009. But the company remains a leader in the PC operating system and productivity software markets, and its partnership with startup OpenAI has led to gains in cloud computing.

“I think that disruption is very hard on people, and so the decision to do something for which disruption was inevitable, that needs a lot of popular support, and nobody could game theorize exactly who is going to do what in response,” Ballmer said, regarding the tariffs. “So, I think citizens really like stability a lot. And I hope people — individuals who will feel this, because people are feeling it, not just the stock market, people are going to feel it.”

Ballmer, who owns the Los Angeles Clippers, is among Microsoft’s biggest fans. He said he’s the company’s largest investor. In 2014, shortly after he bought the basketball team for $2 billion, he held over 333 million shares of the stock, according to a regulatory filing.

“I’m not going to probably have 50 more years on the planet,” he said. “But whatever minutes I have, I’m gonna be a large Microsoft shareholder.” He said there’s a bright future for computing, storage and intelligence. Microsoft launched the first Azure services while Ballmer was CEO.

Earlier this week Bloomberg reported that Microsoft, which pledged to spend $80 billion on AI-enabled data center infrastructure in the current fiscal year, has stopped discussions or pushed back the opening of facilities in the U.S. and abroad.

JPMorgan Chase’s chief economist, Bruce Kasman, said in a Thursday note that the chance of a global recession will be 60% if Trump’s tariffs kick in as described. His previous estimate was 40%.

“Fifty years from now, or 25 years from now, what is the one thing you can be guaranteed of, is the world needs more compute,” Nadella said. “So I want to keep those two thoughts and then take one step at a time, and then whatever are the geopolitical or economic shifts, we’ll adjust to it.”

Gates, who along with co-founder Paul Allen, sought to build a software company rather than sell both software and hardware, said he wasn’t sure what the economic effects of the tariffs will be. Today, most of Microsoft’s revenue comes from software. It also sells Surface PCs and Xbox consoles.

“So far, it’s just on goods, but you know, will it eventually be on services? Who knows?” said Gates, who reportedly donated around $50 million to a nonprofit that supported Democratic nominee Kamala Harris’ losing campaign.

— CNBC’s Alex Harring contributed to this report.

WATCH: There will be many LLM winners, says infrastructure investor Morrison

Continue Reading

Technology

AppLovin can offer TikTok ‘much stronger bid than others,’ CEO says

Published

on

By

AppLovin can offer TikTok 'much stronger bid than others,' CEO says

Piotr Swat | Lightrocket | Getty Images

AppLovin CEO Adam Foroughi provided more clarity on the ad-tech company’s late-stage effort to acquire TikTok, calling his offer a “much stronger bid than others” on CNBC’s The Exchange Friday afternoon.

Foroughi said the company is proposing a merger between AppLovin and the entire global business of TikTok, characterizing the deal as a “partnership” where the Chinese could participate in the upside while AppLovin would run the app.

“If you pair our algorithm with the TikTok audience, the expansion on that platform for dollars spent will be through the roof,” Foroughi said.

The news comes as President Trump announced he would extend the deadline a second time for TikTok’s Chinese-owned parent company ByteDance to sell the U.S. subsidiary of TikTok to an American buyer or face an effective ban on U.S. app stores. The new deadline is now in June, which, as Foroughi described, “buys more time to put the pieces together” on AppLovin’s bid. 

“The president’s a great dealmaker — we’re proposing, essentially an enhancement to the deal that they’ve been working on, but a bigger version of all the deals contemplated,” he added.

AppLovin faces a crowded field of other interested U.S. backers, including Amazon, Oracle, billionaire Frank McCourt and his Project Liberty consortium, and numerous private equity firms. Some proposals reportedly structure the deal to give a U.S. buyer 50% ownership of the company, rather than a complete acquisition. The Chinese government will still need to approve the deal, and AppLovin’s interest in purchasing TikTok in “all markets outside of China” is “preliminary,” according to an April 3 SEC filing.

Correction: A prior version of this story incorrectly characterized China’s ongoing role in TikTok should AppLovin acquire the app.

WATCH: AppLovin CEO Adam Foroughi on its bid to buy TikTok

AppLovin CEO Adam Foroughi on its bid to buy TikTok

Continue Reading

Trending