The suspect who has been arrested in connection with an “apparent assassination attempt” on Donald Trump has been named.
Ryan Wesley Routh, 58, was identified by three senior law enforcement officials, Sky News’s US partner network NBC News reported.
He is believed to be the man shot at by the US Secret Service after gunshots were heardnear to where Mr Trumpwas playing at his Trump International Golf Course in West Palm Beach just after 1.30pm local time on Sunday.
An AK-47 type assault rifle weapon and a scope, two backpacks and a GoPro device were recovered at the scene, Palm Beach County sheriff Ric Bradshaw said in a news conference.
It comes just nine weeks after the Republican presidential nominee was injured after another such attempt at a rally in Butler, Pennsylvania in July.
Image: Pic: Ryan Routh/Facebook
What do we know so far?
Just after 7.30pm UK time, the Trump campaign released a statement to say Mr Trump was “safe following gunshots in his vicinity”.
It is believed Mr Trump was taking part in a round at Trump International Golf Course in West Palm Beach at the time the shots were heard.
The FBI later confirmed it was investigating what “appears to be an attempted assassination of former president Trump”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:14
Secret Service spotted rifle, media told
Palm Beach County sheriff Mr Bradshaw said the gunman was about 400 to 500 yards away from Mr Trump and hidden in shrubbery while the former president played golf at a nearby hole.
He said the Secret Service agent – who was patrolling the course ahead of Mr Trump – spotted a rifle barrel coming out of a perimeter fence surrounding the course.
“He immediately engaged that individual, at which time the individual took off,” Mr Bradshaw said.
Officials said it remains unclear whether the suspect fired first – or fired at all – or whether only the Secret Service fired.
Image: Photos that show an AK-47 rifle, two backpacks and a GoPro camera. Pic: AP
Police ‘surrounded vehicle’ of suspect
A witness spotted a man, believed to be Routh, fleeing the scene in a black Nissan SUV and managed to take photos of the car and number plate. Police then alerted the neighbouring Martin County Sheriff’s Office which pulled over the vehicle and detained the suspect.
Image: Police stop a vehicle believed to have been used by the suspect to flee the scene. Pic: Reuters
Martin County sheriff William Snyder told reporters his officers followed the suspect vehicle for a while before making a “felony stop”.
“Our road units picked the vehicle up and we waited a while. We didn’t stop him right away. We didn’t want a high-speed chase,” he said.
“So we were able to wait until we had adequate units, surrounded the vehicle, and forced it to a stop.”
Image: Martin County sheriff William Snyder
A witness said he saw “20 or more cop cars flying from nearby streets” as he described the emergency response outside Mr Trump’s golf course.
“From what I saw, five black unmarked SUVs blocked in a grey Mercedes in front of the golf course,” Max Egusquiza told the AP news agency.
“There were about 20 or more cop cars flying from nearby streets,” he said.
Suspect was ‘lying in wait’
Mr Snyder told WPTV that Routh was “not armed” when he was taken out of the car.
He said he had a calm, flat demeanour and showed little emotion when he was stopped.
“The suspect did not question why he was being pulled over,” Mr Snyder said.
Palm Beach State’s Attorney Dave Aronberg later told MSNBC that Routh was “lying in wait” for Mr Trump and aimed at the Secret Service until the agent fired at him.
He said Routh was “pretty quiet” and “pretty compliant” with officers when they pulled him over and isn’t sure if he has said anything since he was taken into custody.
Mr Aronberg said he does not believe Routh would have to fire a shot in order for him to be charged with attempted assassination.
Image: Mr Trump’s motorcade near the golf club
What has Trump said?
Mr Trump was taken back to his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach after the scare.
He later said in a fundraising email that he was safe.
“There were gunshots in my vicinity, but before rumours start spiralling out of control, I wanted you to hear this first: I AM SAFE AND WELL!” the email said.
“Nothing will slow me down. I will NEVER SURRENDER! I will always love you for supporting me.
“Unity. Peace. Make America Great Again. May God bless you.”
Image: Donald Trump is safe after “gunshots in his vicinity”, according to his campaign team.
Mr Trump’s Republican running mate, vice presidential nominee JD Vance, said he will be hugging his children “extra tight” and “saying a prayer of gratitude” after what appears to be an attempt on Mr Trump’s life.
“I’m glad President Trump is safe. I spoke to him before the news was public and he was, amazingly, in good spirits,” Mr Vance wrote on X.
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News
“Still much we don’t know, but I’ll be hugging my kids extra tight tonight and saying a prayer of gratitude.”
Meanwhile, senator Lindsey Graham, one of Mr Trump’s top congressional allies, posted on X to say he is in “good spirits” after speaking with him.
Has the White House responded?
Shortly after details of the “apparent assassination attempt” emerged, the White House said in a statement: “The President and Vice President have been briefed about the security incident at the Trump International Golf Course, where former President Trump was golfing.
“They are relieved to know that he is safe. They will be kept regularly updated by their team.”
President Joe Biden later said in a statement that he had been briefed on the “apparent assassination attempt” and was “relieved that the former president is unharmed”.
Image: President Joe Biden at the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation’s Phoenix Awards Dinner on Saturday. Pic: AP
“As I have said many times, there is no place for political violence or for any violence ever in our country,” he said, adding that he has directed his team “to ensure that Secret Service has every resource, capability and protective measure necessary to ensure the former president’s continued safety”.
Kamala Harris, the vice president and Democratic presidential nominee, also said she was “glad” her rival for the presidency was safe after gunshots were heard “in his vicinity”.
Writing on X, she said: “Violence has no place in America.”
Ms Harris’s running mate Tim Walz said he and his wife Gwen were “glad to hear” the former president was safe.
More than 63,000 Palestinians have now reportedly been killed during Israel’s war in Gaza, a figure likely to rise after the IDF declared Gaza City a combat zone on Friday.
The number of people killed, reported by the Hamas-run Gaza health ministry, follows nearly 23 months of war.
Image: A mourner during the funeral of Palestinians killed while trying to receive aid. Pic: Reuters
Israel on Friday claimed the city was a Hamas stronghold and alleged that a network of tunnels remains in use despite several previous large-scale raids on the area.
Israeli army spokesperson Avichay Adraee urged Palestinians to flee south, calling evacuation of the city “inevitable”.
But the head of the Red Cross warned it would be impossible to keep people safe during such a mass evacuation.
Many people in Gaza City would not be able to follow evacuation orders because they are starving, sick or injured, Mirjana Spoljaric said.
Image: Palestinians are being urged to flee Gaza City by the Israeli military. Pic: Reuters
International humanitarian law requires Israel to ensure civilians have access to shelter, safety and nutrition, when evacuation orders are issued.
“These conditions cannot currently be met in Gaza. This makes any evacuation not only unfeasible but incomprehensible under the present circumstances,” Ms Spoljaric added.
Meanwhile, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) announced it had targeted Abu Obeida, a spokesperson for Hamas’s armed wing, in a strike on Gaza City, according to Israeli media.
And Mr Netanyahu later said the body of hostage Idan Shtivi was retrieved from Gaza.
Image: A Palestinian child waits to receive food from a charity kitchen. Pic: Reuters
Four people were killed by Israeli gunfire on Saturday while trying to get aid in central Gaza, according to health officials at Awda hospital, where the bodies were brought.
Their deaths join the almost 1,900 people who the UN say have been killed while seeking food since 27 May, including more than 1,000 killed in the vicinity of the controversial Gaza Humanitarian Foundation sites.
“Most of these killings appear to have been committed by the Israeli military,” a spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Thameen Al-Kheetan said.
Israel has previously blamed Hamas militants for fomenting chaos and endangering civilians at aid sites.
The conflict began with a Hamas-led attack on Israel on 7 October 2023, which saw around 1,200 people killed and about 250 people taken hostage.
Greta Thunberg has rejected accusations of antisemitism as she embarks on her second flotilla to Gaza.
The 22-year-old and other activists are setting sail on the largest flotilla to Gaza on Sunday, despite having been detained by Israeli forces and deported when they approached on a British-flagged yacht in June.
Israel later accused the group of activists of being antisemitic – an accusation Thunberg told Sky News’ Europe correspondent Siobhan Robbins she rejects.
“It is not antisemitic to say that we should not be bombing people, that one should not be living in occupation, that everyone should have the right to live in freedom and dignity, no matter who you are,” she said.
Image: Greta Thunberg is embarking on a flotilla to Gaza again
Image: In June, Thunberg and others were detained by the IDF on board a ship to Gaza
Before the dozens of boats carrying aid embarks from Spain, the activists called on governments to pressure Israel to allow their flotilla through the naval blockade.
Israel imposed the blockade on Gaza after Hamas took control of the coastal enclave in 2007 and has blocked numerous attempts to reach Gaza since, including a vessel in 2010 by its special forces in which at least nine Turkish activists were killed.
But Thunberg brushed concerns about the dangers of the trip aside, saying she was instead worried about the “silence of the world” in light of what is happening in Gaza.
“I’m terrified to see that we seem to have lost all the humanity that we have, and there seems to be no compassion left in the world amongst the vast majority of people who are able to sit on the couch and watch the genocide unfold that I am terrified for,” she added.
Image: The new, bigger flotilla, will set off from Spain on Sunday
Image: Greta Thunberg brushed concerns about the dangers of the trip aside
Israel has repeatedly denied claims of genocide and previously described the first ship, Madleen, as “the selfie yacht”, dismissing the aid ship as a propaganda stunt in support of Hamas.
In a statement to Sky News, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said: “The IDF enforces the security naval blockade on the Gaza Strip and is prepared for a wide range of scenarios, which it will act upon in accordance with the directives of the political echelon.”
Thunberg said: “It’s important that by doing so, by continuing this blockade, Israel is violating international law. And what we are trying to do is to use our rights to sail on international waters and to deliver humanitarian aid, which Israel is not allowed to block from coming in.”
Image: Greta Thunberg aboard the Madleen on 2 June. Pic: Freedom Flotilla Coalition/Reuters
Image: The Madleen was intercepted before reaching Gaza
The naval blockade has remained in place through conflicts, including the current war, which began when Hamas fighters attacked southern Israel on 7 October 2023, killing more than 1,200 people and taking 251 hostages.
Israel’s retaliatory offensive against Hamas has since killed almost 63,000 Palestinians, according to the Hamas-run Gaza health ministry, while part of the Strip is suffering from famine, according to a global hunger monitor – something Israel denies.
In March, Israel also sealed off Gaza by land, not letting in supplies for three months, claiming Hamas was diverting aid.
Image: Palestinians wait to receive food from a charity kitchen. Pic: Reuters
Asked what would be her message to Hamas, which is still holding 48 hostages in Gaza, around 20 of whom Israel still believes to be alive, Thunberg said she does “not stand behind killing civilians”.
“But we translate that into reality and we’re seeing how many hundreds of thousands of people are dying in Gaza now, how many hundreds of thousands of people have been deprived [of] their dignity and justice and freedom by Israel,” she added.
Image: Sky News’ Europe correspondent Siobhan Robbins interviewed Greta Thunberg in Spain
The IDF said in its statement: “Israel allows and facilitates the entry of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip. Since the beginning of the war, over two million tons of aid have been delivered to Gaza – approximately one ton of aid per person on average.
“The last few months 9,000 aid trucks have entered through land crossings, as publicly reported.
“In recent weeks, approximately 300 aid trucks have entered daily, primarily carrying food, medical supplies, hygiene products, and other essential items according to needs identified by international organisations and the UN. Israel does not impose quantitative limits on aid trucks entering Gaza.
“Several significant measures have been implemented to expand aid volume and facilitate collection by the UN and international organisations. Recent data on aid deliveries demonstrates Israel’s commitment to facilitating humanitarian assistance to Gaza.”
Thunberg, who is among hundreds of people from 44 countries on the flotilla, hopes their mission will bring symbolic aid and help open up a humanitarian corridor to deliver more aid.
She said the activists’ goal is to send “hope and solidarity to the people of Gaza, showing a clear signal that the world has not forgotten about you”.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials have been blocked from attending September’s annual meeting of the United Nations General Assembly in New York.
US secretary of state Marco Rubio has revoked the US visas of delegates from the Palestinian Authority (PA) and Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), and denied others from applying for one.
It is the latest step by Donald Trump’s administration to target Palestinians with visa restrictions, and follows the suspension of a programme to allow injured children from Gaza to receive treatment in the US.
Image: Mahmoud Abbas addressed the general assembly in 2024, but is barred from next month’s meeting. Pic: Reuters
“It is in our national security interests to hold the PLO and PA accountable for not complying with their commitments, and for undermining the prospects for peace,” a statement from the US State Department said.
It added that, to be considered partners for peace, both groups “must consistently repudiate terrorism, and end incitement to terrorism in education, as required by US law and as promised by the PLO”.
Israel declared Gaza’s largest city a dangerous combat zone on Friday.
The army launched a planned offensive that has drawn international condemnation.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:44
Thick smoke rises from Gaza City after Israeli strikes
Foreign ministers from Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Slovenia and Spain released a joint statement saying the military operations in Gaza City will cause “intolerable deaths of innocent Palestinian civilians”.
Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians are sheltering in Gaza City while enduring famine.
Image: An Israeli armoured vehicle in northern Gaza on Friday. Pic: AP
Image: Palestinians ride a truck carrying humanitarian aid in Gaza City. Pic: AP
The Palestinian ambassador to the United Nations (UN), Riyad Mansour, said Mr Abbas had planned to lead the delegation to the UN meetings and was expected to address the general assembly at the general debate, which begins on 23 September.
He was also expected to attend a high-level meeting co-chaired by France and Saudi Arabia on 22 September about a two-state solution, a broad idea involving Israel coexisting with an independent Palestinian state.
The State of Palestine is an observer member of the UN, meaning it can speak at meetings but not vote on resolutions.
Image: The State of Palestine cannot vote on UN resolutions. Pic: AP
US decision ‘contravenes international law’
The Palestinian Authority “expressed its deep regret and astonishment” at the visa decision, calling it “a violation of US commitments” as the host of the UN, and claiming it “contravenes international law”.
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said the world body would be seeking clarification in the “hope that this will be resolved”.
Image: Hundreds of diplomats left when Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu began speaking at the general assembly in 2024. Pic: Reuters
The State Department said that the Palestinian Authority’s mission to the UN, comprising officials who are permanently based there, would not be included in the restrictions.
Under a 1947 UN agreement, the US is generally required to allow access for foreign diplomats to the UN in New York.
But Washington has said it can deny visas for security, extremism and foreign policy reasons.
The death toll in Gaza has now risen to 63,025, according to the Hamas-run health ministry, which does not differentiate between civilians and combatants.
It also reported five more malnutrition-related deaths in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number during the war to 322, with 121 of them children.