Connect with us

Published

on

British sovereignty of Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands is not up for negotiation, the prime minister’s spokesman has said.

Questions over the government’s commitment to maintaining the British overseas territories as part of the UK have been raised after the government announced on Thursday it was handing the Chagos Islands over to Mauritius.

Sir Keir Starmer’s official spokesman said the government was ruling out negotiations over Gibraltar, claimed by Spain, and the Falkland Islands, claimed by Argentina.

Follow live politics updates

“There is no question about British sovereignty of those two, it is not up for negotiation,” he said.

Following Thursday’s announcement on the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean, Argentina’s foreign minister promised “concrete action” to ensure the Falklands were handed to Buenos Aires.

However, Sir Keir’s spokesman said: “The Falklands is not up for discussion – that remains our position.

“Chagos is a unique situation with a unique history, it has no bearing on other territories.”

Gibraltar’s chief minister Fabian Picardo said the UK’s decision on the Chagos Islands has “no possible read across” to Gibraltar as the situations “are completely different”.

Falkland Islands governor Alison Blake said the UK government’s commitment to the islanders’ UK sovereignty was “unwavering” and “remains undiminished”.

Embargoed to 0001 Friday May 20 Undated handout photo issued by the Falkland Islands Government of Stanley in the Falklands Islands, one of among eight places to win coveted city status as part of celebrations for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. Issue date: Friday May 20, 2022.
Image:
Argentina claims the Falkland Islands in the south Atlantic as its own. Pic: PA

Diego Garcia, the largest island in the Chagos archipelago. Pic: Reuters
Image:
The UK-US military base on Diego Garcia, the largest Chagos island, will remain. Pic: Reuters

Sir Keir’s spokesman said the former Conservative government had carried out 11 rounds of negotiations over the Chagos Islands since 2022 and the government had picked them up and reached an agreement.

The archipelago between Mauritius and India had been at the centre of a 50-year dispute after Mauritius gained independence from the UK in 1968 but the Chagos Islands did not.

Mauritius has been trying to claim the Chagos Islands since then but the UK has resisted as it has a key naval support base with the US on the largest island, Diego Garcia.

Read more:
Starmer’s chief of staff resigns

Lammy defends ‘young’ govt as poll shows most people think they are sleazy

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Chagossians ‘feel betrayed again’

The native Chagossians were expelled from the islands for the base to be built, with most going to Mauritius or the Seychelles, and about 3,500 coming to the UK since 2002.

Under the new deal, the military base will remain under UK and US jurisdiction for at least the next 99 years.

Senior Conservatives criticised the decision as they fear it could grant China a foothold in the Indian Ocean as Beijing is heavily invested in Mauritius.

But Sir Keir’s spokesman said the deal settles the legal challenges, contested sovereignty and international court tribunals.

A protest was taking place outside parliament today by Chagossians who are angry they were not included in the talks for their homeland’s sovereignty.

Continue Reading

Politics

Appeals court overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping hotel

Published

on

By

Appeals court overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping hotel

A temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Essex has been overturned at the Court of Appeal.

The Home Office and Somani Hotels, which owns the Bell Hotel in Epping, have successfully challenged a High Court ruling. Today’s hearing saw both parties win the right to appeal, before also winning the appeals themselves.

Lord Justice Bean, sitting with Lady Justice Nicola Davies and Lord Justice Cobb, quashed an earlier injunction granted to Epping Forest District Council, saying: “We allow the appeals and we set aside the injunction imposed on 19 August 2025.”

This means asylum seekers will stay in the accommodation in Essex past 12 September. There are currently 138 asylum seekers being housed at the hotel.

Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA
Image:
Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA

Last week, the initial court ruling centred on the change in use of the premises without consent from the local authority.

But after the Home Office argued its case – which involved stating it had the right to appeal – judges have backed the government’s side.

The decision avoids a precedent for other councils to appeal against asylum hotels in their areas.

Council ‘will continue the fight’

A councillor for Epping said the “battle is not over” after the Court of Appeal ruling and vowed the council would “continue the fight”.

Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA
Image:
Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA

Speaking outside the London court, Ken Williamson, said: “We are deeply disappointed by the outcome of today’s hearing.

“The concern and motivation of Epping Forest District Council throughout has been the wellbeing of our local residents, where we had clarity and resolution, we now have doubt and confusion.”

The council could still be granted an injunction following a full hearing of the legal claim, which is due to be heard in October.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Reform UK’s deputy leader Richard Tice: Epping residents should feel ‘angry and frustrated’

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage also criticised the ruling, claiming that “illegal migrants have more rights than the British people under (Keir) Starmer”.

Tory leader Kemi Badenoch echoed this in her own statement, saying: “Keir Starmer has shown that he puts the rights of illegal immigrants above the rights of British people who just want to feel safe in their towns and communities.”

She also urged Conservative councillors seeking similar injunctions against asylum hotels to “keep going” despite the ruling.

Focal point of protests

Epping Forest District Council had asked for the injunction after the Bell Hotel became the focal point of several protests and counter-protests. It claimed its owner, Somani Hotels, had breached planning rules.

Lord Justice Stephen Eyre, who gave the original High Court decision, had said that while the council had not “definitively established” that the company had breached planning rules, “the strength of the claimant’s case is such that it weighs in favour” of granting the injunction.

Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July
Image:
Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July

Regular protests have been held outside the Bell Hotel since an asylum seeker housed there was accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in July.

Hadush Gerberslasie Kebatu, 38, denies two counts of sexual assault, one count of attempted sexual assault, one count of inciting a girl to engage in sexual activity, and one count of harassment without violence.

His trial has been taking place this week and verdicts are expected at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on 4 September.

A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A
Image:
A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A

After the Court of Appeal ruling, a small number of protesters gathered outside the Bell Hotel carrying England and Union flags, with police officers guarding the entrance to the hotel, which is gated off with metal fencing.

An England flag has been attached to a drainpipe outside the hotel, while England flags have also been painted onto signs and a speed camera outside the hotel.

Continue Reading

Politics

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Published

on

By

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Avalanche transaction growth topped all blockchain networks with 66%, as the smart-contract network saw more government implementation and renewed ETF applications.

Continue Reading

Politics

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in $100M fraud case

Published

on

By

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in 0M fraud case

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in 0M fraud case

Unicoin urged a New York judge to toss the SEC’s $100 million fraud case, arguing the regulator misquoted filings and relied on “snippets” taken out of context.

Continue Reading

Trending