Connect with us

Published

on

Florida is bracing for the landfall of the monster Hurricane Milton, as officials have pleaded with residents to follow evacuation orders and get out.

Given the potential destruction of Hurricane Milton, President Joe Biden postponed an upcoming trip to Germany and Angola in order to oversee preparations for, and the response to, the storm – in addition to the ongoing response to Hurricane Helene.

“This could be the worst storm to hit Florida in over a century, and God-willing it won’t be, but it’s looking like that right now,” Mr Biden said.

He added: “I just don’t think I can be out of the country at this time.”

Hurricane Milton: What we know so far

Florida governor Ron De Santis said: “Now is the time to execute your plan … but that time is running out.”

He added the entire Florida peninsula was under “some type of watch of warning” after declaring a state of emergency for areas affected.

Evacuation orders are in place for over one million people in Florida’s west-coast counties.

Mr De Santis added the state would activate 8,000 National Guard members and have truckloads of supplies and equipment ready in response.

A message is seen outside of an apartment in the Davis Islands community of Tampa, Florida. Pic: AP
Image:
A message is seen outside of an apartment in the Davis Islands community of Tampa, Florida. Pic: AP

Residents are in a race against time to clear up debris from Hurricane Helene, which officials warned could be turned into projectiles by Hurricane Milton. Pic: AP
Image:
Residents are in a race against time to clear up debris from Hurricane Helene, which officials warned could be turned into projectiles by Hurricane Milton. Pic: AP

Pic: Goes-East/Noaa/Planet Pix via ZUMA Press Wire/Shutterstock

Catastrophic Hurricane Milton Creeps Toward Florida, Gulf of Mexico, United States - 08 Oct 2024
Dawn view of Hurricane Milton, currently a catastrophic Category 4 hurricane with winds of 155 mph, continues to churn across the Gulf of Mexico heading for Florida, shown on the GOES-East satellite at 10:09 GMT, October 8, 2024 North of The Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico.

8 Oct 2024
Image:
Hurricane Milton heading toward Florida. Pic: Goes-East/Noaa/Planet Pix via ZUMA Press Wire/Shutterstock

Workers board up a grocery store to protect it from Hurricane Milton, in Progreso, Mexico. Pic: AP
Image:
Workers board up a grocery store to protect it from Hurricane Milton, in Progreso, Mexico. Pic: AP

Sarasota Mayor Liz Alpert told Sky News’ US partner network NBC News: “You have to evacuate, it [Hurricane Milton] is not survivable.”

Such is the power of Hurricane Milton that, despite weakening slightly, it could land a once-in-a-century hit on Tampa and St Petersburg, engulfing the populous regions with possibly deadly storm surges.

“This is the real deal here with Milton,” Tampa mayor Jane Castor told a Monday news conference. “If you want to take on Mother Nature, she wins 100% of the time.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Weatherman tearful over ‘horrific’ hurricane

In an interview with CNN on Monday, Ms Castor was even more blunt.

She told the US outlet: “I can say without any dramatisation whatsoever: if you choose to stay in one of those evacuation areas, you’re going to die.”

Pasco County is located on Florida’s west coast. Its director of emergency management Andrew Fossa echoed the warnings from other officials.

He said: “I hate to say it like this – Pasco County’s going to get a black eye from this one.

“We haven’t seen a storm like this in a lifetime. We’re running out of time.”

Amid the warnings from state officials, federal authorities are readying their response to the hurricane.

White House spokesperson Emilie Simons said the Biden administration has established two staging bases stocked with 20 million meals and 40 million litres of water and has nearly 900 staff members in the region.

A boarded-up store remains open for now ahead of Hurricane Milton. Pic: AP
Image:
A boarded-up store remains open for now ahead of Hurricane Milton. Pic: AP

A couple sits on the beach as Hurricane Milton advances past Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula on its way to Florida.
Pic: Reuters
Image:
A couple sits on the beach as Hurricane Milton advances past Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula on its way to Florida.
Pic: Reuters

Roads clogged in face of 12ft storm surges

Hurricane Milton is expected to come close to Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula en route to striking Florida’s densely populated coast late on Wednesday or early Thursday.

Once there, forecasters warned that Hurricane Milton could bring eight to 12ft (2.4-3.6m) storm surges, leading to further possible evacuation orders being issued along the Gulf coast.

graphic
Image:
The projected route of Hurricane Milton

graphic

A stream of vehicles headed north on Interstate 75, the main road on the west side of the peninsula, as residents followed evacuation orders.

Meanwhile, traffic clogged up the southbound lanes of the road for miles as others headed for the relative safety of Fort Lauderdale and Miami on the other side of the state.

Air travel fared no better as by Tuesday afternoon, almost 700 flights had been cancelled due to Hurricane Milton, with that figure expected to rise as more than 1,500 flights scheduled for Wednesday were also cancelled, according to flight tracking data provider FlightAware.

President Joe Biden speaks about the federal government response to Hurricane Helene and preparations for Hurricane Milton. Pic: Reuters
Image:
President Joe Biden speaks about the federal government response to Hurricane Helene and preparations for Hurricane Milton. Pic: Reuters

Florida’s Department of Corrections said it had evacuated 4,636 inmates ahead of Hurricane Milton as the National Hurricane Center warned that if people didn’t evacuate on Tuesday “there will likely not be enough time to wait to leave on Wednesday.”

200mph gusts

The storm took experts by surprise in how quickly it intensified.

In less than two days, Hurricane Milton went from just forming a tropical storm with winds of 40mph to a chart-busting Category 5 hurricane – before getting even stronger with gusts said to be over 200mph.

Read more from Sky News:
Nobel prize awarded to ‘godfather of AI’
Artwork accidently thrown in bin

To make matters worse, the huge storm comes less than two weeks after Hurricane Helene claimed over 200 lives, and left debris littered across the state – which Ms Castor said she fears Hurricane Milton could use “as a weapon” and turn into projectiles.

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Veteran hurricane scientists have called the US storm season so far one of the weirdest of their lives as it staggered through a recent quiet period before exploding into action with five hurricanes popping up between 26 September and 6 October.

Continue Reading

US

US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials from United Nations’ annual meeting in New York

Published

on

By

US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials from United Nations' annual meeting in New York

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials have been blocked from attending September’s annual meeting of the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

US secretary of state Marco Rubio has revoked the US visas of delegates from the Palestinian Authority (PA) and Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), and denied others from applying for one.

It is the latest step by Donald Trump’s administration to target Palestinians with visa restrictions, and follows the suspension of a programme to allow injured children from Gaza to receive treatment in the US.

Mahmoud Abbas addressed the general assembly in 2024, but is barred from next month's meeting. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Mahmoud Abbas addressed the general assembly in 2024, but is barred from next month’s meeting. Pic: Reuters

“It is in our national security interests to hold the PLO and PA accountable for not complying with their commitments, and for undermining the prospects for peace,” a statement from the US State Department said.

It added that, to be considered partners for peace, both groups “must consistently repudiate terrorism, and end incitement to terrorism in education, as required by US law and as promised by the PLO”.

Offensive will cause ‘intolerable deaths’

Several US allies, including France, Malta, and Australia have announced plans to recognise Palestine as a state at September’s United Nations General Assembly. Canada and the UK will too, unless Israel meets certain conditions.

More on Mahmoud Abbas

Israel declared Gaza’s largest city a dangerous combat zone on Friday.

The army launched a planned offensive that has drawn international condemnation.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Thick smoke rises from Gaza City after Israeli strikes

Foreign ministers from Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Slovenia and Spain released a joint statement saying the military operations in Gaza City will cause “intolerable deaths of innocent Palestinian civilians”.

Gaza latest: Israel’s Gaza City offensive condemned

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians are sheltering in Gaza City while enduring famine.

An Israeli armoured vehicle in northern Gaza on Friday. Pic: AP
Image:
An Israeli armoured vehicle in northern Gaza on Friday. Pic: AP

Palestinians ride a truck carrying humanitarian aid in Gaza City. Pic: AP
Image:
Palestinians ride a truck carrying humanitarian aid in Gaza City. Pic: AP

The Palestinian ambassador to the United Nations (UN), Riyad Mansour, said Mr Abbas had planned to lead the delegation to the UN meetings and was expected to address the general assembly at the general debate, which begins on 23 September.

He was also expected to attend a high-level meeting co-chaired by France and Saudi Arabia on 22 September about a two-state solution, a broad idea involving Israel coexisting with an independent Palestinian state.

The State of Palestine is an observer member of the UN, meaning it can speak at meetings but not vote on resolutions.

The State of Palestine cannot vote on UN resolutions. Pic: AP
Image:
The State of Palestine cannot vote on UN resolutions. Pic: AP

US decision ‘contravenes international law’

The Palestinian Authority “expressed its deep regret and astonishment” at the visa decision, calling it “a violation of US commitments” as the host of the UN, and claiming it “contravenes international law”.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said the world body would be seeking clarification in the “hope that this will be resolved”.

Hundreds of diplomats left when Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu began speaking at the general assembly in 2024. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Hundreds of diplomats left when Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu began speaking at the general assembly in 2024. Pic: Reuters

The State Department said that the Palestinian Authority’s mission to the UN, comprising officials who are permanently based there, would not be included in the restrictions.

Under a 1947 UN agreement, the US is generally required to allow access for foreign diplomats to the UN in New York.

But Washington has said it can deny visas for security, extremism and foreign policy reasons.

Read more from Sky News:
Analysis: Israel is killing a lot of journalists
Hospitals ‘overwhelmed’ by malnutrition cases
Tony Blair meets Trump over Gaza

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

The death toll in Gaza has now risen to 63,025, according to the Hamas-run health ministry, which does not differentiate between civilians and combatants.

It also reported five more malnutrition-related deaths in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number during the war to 322, with 121 of them children.

Continue Reading

US

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

Published

on

By

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

US President Donald Trump has revoked Secret Service protection for former vice president and 2024 Democratic rival Kamala Harris.

A senior adviser to Harris, Kirsten Allen, confirmed the decision. “The vice president is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” said the adviser.

Typically, vice presidents receive a six-month security detail from the Secret Service after they leave office, although it had been extended to 18 months for Harris, according to officials.

Initially, then-president Joe Biden extended her security arrangements to one year, or January 2026, according to reports.

However, a Secret Service official told Sky News’ US partner, NBC, that Biden subsequently signed an executive memorandum in January increasing the then vice-president’s protection period even further, to 18 months.

Former US presidents receive Secret Service protection for life.

Read more from Sky News:
Ed Davey has written to King to explain Trump dinner boycott
Thai prime minister sacked for ethics violation

More from US

Harris, who lost the 2024 presidential election to Mr Trump, is due to start a book tour for her memoir, “107 Days”, shortly.

She was the Democratic nominee for 107 days after Biden exited the race in the weeks following a challenging debate against Trump.

Mr Trump has also ended federal security protection for others, including former national security adviser John Bolton. Last week, FBI agents raided Bolton’s Maryland home.

In March, the president ended protection for Joe Biden’s children – Hunter and Ashley Biden.

Harris has not ruled out a possible presidential run in 2028. She announced in July that she would not run for governor of California in 2026.

Continue Reading

US

Boy, 8, and girl, 10, killed in US Catholic school shooting named – as father brands attacker ‘a coward’

Published

on

By

Boy, 8, and girl, 10, killed in US Catholic school shooting named - as father brands attacker 'a coward'

The families of two children killed in the US Catholic school shooting have said their “hearts are broken” and branded the attacker a “coward”.

Fletcher Merkel who was eight and 10-year-old Harper Moyski were killed during mass at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis on Wednesday.

Eighteen other people were injured, including children aged between six and 15 and three adults in their 80s.

Police said Robin Westman, a male born as Robert Westman, opened fire with a rifle through the windows of the school’s church as children sat in pews.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

New details released of US school shooting

‘Our hearts are broken’

Harper’s parents, Michael Moyski and Jackie Flavin, remembered her as “a bright, joyful, and deeply loved 10-year-old whose laughter, kindness, and spirit touched everyone who knew her”.

“Our hearts are broken not only as parents, but also for Harper’s sister, who adored her big sister and is grieving an unimaginable loss. As a family, we are shattered, and words cannot capture the depth of our pain,” their statement said.

They urged leaders and communities to “take meaningful steps to address gun violence and the mental health crisis in this country.”

“Change is possible, and it is necessary – so that Harper’s story does not become yet another in a long line of tragedies,” the statement added.

The family of Fletcher Merkel said there was a 'hole in our hearts'. Pic: Family handout/AP
Image:
The family of Fletcher Merkel said there was a ‘hole in our hearts’. Pic: Family handout/AP

‘Fletcher loved his family’

In a statement reported by Sky’s US partner network NBC News, Fletcher’s father Jesse Merkel blamed the “coward” killer for why the boy’s family can’t “hold him, talk to him, play with him, and watch him grow into the wonderful young man he was on the path to becoming”.

He said: “Fletcher loved his family, friends, fishing, cooking, and any sports that he was allowed to play.

“While the hole in our hearts and lives will never be filled, I hope that in time, our family can find healing.”

Mr Merkel also praised “the swift and heroic actions of children and adults alike from inside the church”.

“Without these people and their selfless actions, this could have been a tragedy of many magnitudes more. For these people, I am thankful,” he added.

Families and loved ones reunite at the scene after the shooting. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Families and loved ones reunite at the scene after the shooting. Pic: Reuters

Mayor calls for assault weapon ban

It comes after Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey called for a statewide and federal ban on assault weapons, a day after the deadly school shooting.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Minneapolis mayor urges assault weapons ban

“Thoughts and prayers are not going to cut it. It’s on all of us to see this through,” the mayor said at a news conference. “We need a statewide and a federal ban on assault weapons.

“We need a statewide and a federal ban on high-capacity magazines. There is no reason that someone should be able to reel off 30 shots before they even have to reload.

“We’re not talking about your father’s hunting rifle gear. We’re talking about guns that are built to pierce armour and kill people.”

Meanwhile, Minneapolis police chief Brian O’Hara gave an update on the investigation, saying the suspect had fired 116 rifle rounds into the church.

“It is very clear that this shooter had the intention to terrorise those innocent children,” he added, before saying the killer “fantasised” about the plans of other mass shooting attackers and wanted to “obtain notoriety”.

Read more from Sky News:
Man ‘who impersonated Michael Jackson’ was ‘unfairly dismissed’
Concern as British couple detained in Iran ‘whisked’ to courtroom

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

Thomas Klemond, interim CEO of Minneapolis’s main trauma hospital Hennepin Healthcare, said at an earlier news conference that the hospital was treating nine patients injured in the shooting.

One child at the hospital was in a critical condition, he added.

Children’s Minnesota Hospital also said that three children remain in its care as of Thursday morning.

Continue Reading

Trending