Connect with us

Published

on

Sir Keir Starmer has been urged to support a new law to ban smartphones in schools to stop children “doom-scrolling” – after Number 10 refused to back the plan.

New Labour MP Josh MacAlister is calling for the government to make legal changes to make social media and smartphones less addictive for children and to “empower” parents and teachers to curb screen-time.

The former teacher introduced his Safer Phones Bill on Tuesday which has received backing from cross-party MPs as well as education unions, charities and current and former children’s commissioners.

Politics latest: Downing Street won’t deny PM met Taylor Swift

One of the key tenets is legally banning smartphones from schools but Sir Keir’s spokesman said the government has “no plans to legislate” that as headteachers can already ban phones from classrooms, although they have no legal backing.

Sir Keir’s spokesman said the bill “won’t go ahead”, but Health Secretary Wes Streeting separately indicated some support for the bill as he said “this is a really timely debate”.

Mr MacAlister said he is not perturbed and told Sky News: “This is a campaign of persuasion.”

As part of the bill, he is calling for:

• Raising the age of “internet adulthood” (the minimum age to create social media profiles, email accounts, etc) from 13 to 16
• Legally banning smartphones from classrooms
• Strengthening Ofcom’s powers to protect children from apps designed to be addictive
• Committing government to review further regulation if needed of the design, supply, marketing and use of mobile phones by children under 16

Labour MP Josh MacAlister is calling for a ban on smartphones in schools
Image:
Labour MP Josh MacAlister is calling for a ban on smartphones in schools

Current guidance to schools in England intended to stop the use of mobile phones during the school day is non-statutory, and was introduced earlier this year by the previous Tory government. The bill would make it a legal requirement.

Mr MacAlister, who chaired an independent review of children’s social care for the former government, said there was a “huge public health problem” with children around the world having increasing levels of mental health problems, issues with sleep and being impacted by phones in school.

“I’m only interested in one thing, which is making sure we can change the law to protect children and reduce screen time and get them back to having a healthier childhood,” he said.

“Parents are saying they’re facing an impossible choice between either keeping their kids off smartphones and ostracising them or letting children get on these phones and seeing all the harmful effects that it can cause.

“And we need to shape some collective rules that help parents and teachers make better choices for children.

“Children themselves are recognising the harm that comes with all of the doom-scrolling.”

Doom-scrolling is the act of spending an excessive amount of time online consuming negative news or social media content, often without stopping.

Read more:
Schools that ban mobile phones ‘get better GCSE grades’

Weight-loss jabs ‘could get people back into work’

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Is your smartphone damaging your health?

Mr MacAlister denied imposing a law would turn the UK into a “nanny state”, saying governments “do have a role to play” to set the rules for big tech companies.

And he said if the government fails to act, calls for a complete smartphone ban for children “will only grow”, which will make it tougher for the tech industry.

“So I’d say to them directly, get on board, engage with this, shape the regulation, help protect children and you will be operating in a UK market, which means you can keep the public onside with all the brilliant work that the tech industry does do without putting children at risk,” the MP said.

Continue Reading

Politics

Ed Davey reveals he has written to King to explain Trump state dinner boycott

Published

on

By

Ed Davey reveals he has written to King to explain Trump state dinner boycott

Sir Ed Davey has written to King Charles to explain why he believes he has to refuse his invite to a state banquet for Donald Trump.

The Lib Dem leader said on Wednesday he will be boycotting the dinner next month during the US president’s second state visit to the UK because of the situation in Gaza.

He told Sky News on Thursday: “I’ve written to him [the King] personally explaining my thinking.

“And it’s with deep regret that I’ve had to take the decision, but I feel with what is going on in Gaza, it’s the best way I can get my voice heard.”

Politics latest: Asylum hotel injunction appeal decision coming soon

Sir Ed said the “sad truth” is Mr Trump is the “one man” who has the power to stop the “horrible famine in Gaza, could get the hostages released, could bring an end to this horrendous humanitarian crisis”.

He said the US president could do that by phoning up Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and telling him to stop.

More on Donald Trump

The Lib Dem leader said Mr Trump could also call up the Qatari government and other Gulf states to get them to put pressure on Hamas to release the remaining 50 Israeli hostages (20 living, 30 dead) they took on 7 October 2023.

The King and Donald Trump during his first state visit in 2019. Pic: Reuters
Image:
The King and Donald Trump during his first state visit in 2019. Pic: Reuters

He emphasised that he has “huge respect” for the King and it was a very difficult decision he “really wrestled with” and involved him talking to his wife and praying about it.

Sir Ed denied it was political posturing and instead is one of the only ways he could get Mr Trump to listen.

“I didn’t want him to come to the UK without being reminded, as best I can, that he has that moral responsibility, frankly,” he added.

“And from what I’m picking up from many people, there are people across the political spectrum who agree with me and the Democrats that it is Donald Trump, it is the United States who has this power over Netanyahu, over Hamas, albeit indirectly, to stop this horrendous situation.”

Publicly refusing the King’s invite is “the best way I can get my voice heard,” Sir Ed said.

Read more:
British journalists demand action from PM over war in Gaza
Has Trump ended seven wars as he claims?

King Charles will host a state dinner for Donald Trump. Pic: PA
Image:
King Charles will host a state dinner for Donald Trump. Pic: PA

Tony Blair at White House Gaza meeting

While Sir Ed is choosing to snub Mr Trump to get his voice heard, former Labour prime minister Sir Tony Blair has been asked by the US president for help on Gaza.

Sir Tony joined a White House meeting on Wednesday, chaired by Mr Trump, to discuss the war in Gaza and post-war plans for the Palestinian territory, a senior White House official confirmed.

They were joined by Mr Trump’s former Middle East envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to also discuss the hostage crisis and plans to escalate food aid deliveries.

The official described it as “simply a policy meeting”.

In July, the Financial Times reported the Tony Blair Institute had participated in a project to develop a post-war Gaza plan, with the think tank having “had many calls with different groups on post-war reconstruction of Gaza but none included the idea of forcible relocation of people from Gaza”.

Sir Ed called on Sir Tony to be quizzed in parliament about his discussions with the Trump administration.

“If he has special insight into Trump’s intentions, it’s only right that parliament and the government are made privy to this,” he said.

“We must leverage all the information and resources at our disposal to make Trump do the right thing.”

Continue Reading

Politics

US regulator opens pathway for Americans to trade on offshore crypto exchanges

Published

on

By

US regulator opens pathway for Americans to trade on offshore crypto exchanges

US regulator opens pathway for Americans to trade on offshore crypto exchanges

The change is part of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission’s “crypto sprint,” an initiative to overhaul regulations in response to proposals from the Trump administration.

Continue Reading

Politics

US Government taps Chainlink, Pyth to publish economic data onchain

Published

on

By

US Government taps Chainlink, Pyth to publish economic data onchain

US Government taps Chainlink, Pyth to publish economic data onchain

The US government announced on Tuesday that it is publishing economic data onchain to boost transparency for government spending.

Continue Reading

Trending