Connect with us

Published

on

The former head of the British Army, General Sir Mike Jackson has died aged 80.

Sir Mike, known as ‘Jacko’, died on Tuesday surrounded by his family, the Army said.

The father-of-three led the Army during the allied invasion of Iraq in 2003 after serving in Northern Ireland and Bosnia.

Chief of staff of the British armed forces General Sir Mike Jackson (C) smiles during his visit to the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Regiment in the Kuwaiti desert near Iraq's border on March 7, 2003. [Unidentified people have cut down part of a fence marking the demilitarized Iraq Kuwait border zone (DMZ), U.N. observers said on Friday, in a move analysts described as a preparation for possible hostilities with Iraq.]
Image:
General Sir Mike Jackson with the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Regiment in Kuwait in 2003. Pic: Reuters

The British Army said in a tribute: “It is with great sadness that we have learnt of the death of General Sir Mike Jackson GCB, CBE, DSO, on October 15 surrounded by his family.

“General ‘Jacko’ served with distinction for over 40 years, finishing his career as chief of the general staff.

“He will be greatly missed, and long remembered.”

The announcement ended with the phrase “Utrinque Paratus”, the Latin motto of the Parachute Regiment, which translates to “ready for anything”.

More on Army

The Parachute Regimental Association said he was a “great leader of men” who will be “missed by many”.

Jackson was seen as a tough and uncompromising soldier, with Darth Vader and The Prince of Darkness reportedly among the nicknames his men gave him, referring to his cool manner and gravel voice.

British Army General Sir Mike Jackson (R) and Defence minister Geoff Hoon speak to reporters as operations continue to slaughter thousands of sheep at the disused airfield at Great Orton near Carlisle, northern England March 28, 2001. The army are helping in the disposal of thousands of sheep which are being slaughtered in an attempt to prevent the continued spread of Foot and Mouth disease.
Image:
General Sir Mike Jackson (R) and the then Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon in 2001. Pic: Reuters

He became head of the British Army just a month before the Iraq war, also known as the Second Gulf War, replacing General Sir Michael Walker.

During his time as the country’s top soldier, the general had to deal with claims of Iraqi prisoner abuse at the hands of UK troops and growing discontent about the role of coalition troops.

In 1999, while commanding 40,000 NATO KFOR troops in the Balkans, he refused an order from his American superior officer.

NATO supreme commander General Wesley Clark directed him to send forces into Kosovo to pre-empt a surprise Russian advance heading for the airport at Pristina.

But Jackson told him: “I’m not going to start the Third World War for you.”

Earlier in his career, he was present at two significant incidents in Northern Ireland.

He was a captain with the 1st Battalion of the Parachute Regiment at the time of the Ballymurphy shootings in Northern Ireland in August 1971.

In 2019 he told an inquest into the deaths of 10 people in the incident that there had not been a cover-up.

He was also at Bloody Sunday in 1972, when British soldiers opened fire on unarmed protesters in Derry, killing 14.

In March 2006, he created a storm by criticising kidnap victim Norman Kember, who, he said, had not thanked the SAS soldiers who rescued him and his Canadian colleagues from their captors in Iraq.

Sir Mike retired in August of that year having held the post for three-and-a-half years.

Born in March 1944, Sir Mike was educated at Stamford School and Sandhurst before being commissioned into the army as an officer in 1963.

He later earned a degree in Russian studies from Birmingham University while serving in the Intelligence Corps.

Continue Reading

UK

‘Our country’s ruined’: Protesters on why they oppose asylum hotels

Published

on

By

'Our country's ruined': Protesters on why they oppose asylum hotels

“It’s an invasion,” Dinah Bentley tells me, standing next to a cardboard cut-out of Nigel Farage.

The 78-year-old retired teacher says she “doesn’t laud” the Reform MP, whose grinning likeness is a permanent fixture in her West Yorkshire conservatory, but he “says what I believe”.

“Everybody talks about migration, but our country’s ruined,” Dinah adds. “They’ve ruined it.”

The “they” in her mind? People who have crossed into the UK on small boats.

We have seen asylum hotel protests intensify over the summer and wanted to speak to the people who’ve joined them.

Over the coming weeks, we’ll speak with counter-protesters too, but today, we meet Dinah, a grandmother of two who has joined those calling on asylum hotels to close.

Dinah says she fears for her granddaughters' safety
Image:
Dinah says she fears for her granddaughters’ safety

She was, like many of the protesters we met, initially sceptical to speak to a journalist.

More on Asylum

Dinah says she “doesn’t watch mainstream news” because of “media lies” over Brexit.

Instead, she says she gets her news from social media.

It was on social media that Dinah learnt about a protest being organised outside a hotel in Wakefield, which has housed asylum seekers for several years.

It was the first migration-related protest she had ever attended.

“We’ve put up with so much for so long and I think ordinary people now, they’ve decided it’s no good sitting, doing nothing,” Dinah says.

After reading about a male asylum seeker being charged with a sexual assault in Epping, she says she is “fearful” for her granddaughters’ safety.

“They’re undocumented,” she says, referring to those who have arrived in the UK on small boats.

“We know nothing about them. We don’t know where they are wandering the streets. It’s not right, is it?”

She’s also angry about the cost of housing asylum seekers in hotels.

Dinah says Nigel Farage 'says what I believe'
Image:
Dinah says Nigel Farage ‘says what I believe’

I ask Dinah what she thinks about the government plan to close asylum hotels, stop illegal crossings and deport people who do not have a legal right to remain.

“It’s all talk, all talk”, she says. “I don’t believe them.”

“I would be happy if the Navy went into the Channel, we’re an island for God’s sake, and stopped the boats.

“That would make me over the moon.”

Dinah tells us people used to be “afraid” of saying what they really thought about migration.

No more, she says.

The ‘migrant watch’ group

On the other side of Wakefield, we meet 47-year-old James Crashley.

He’s also been to the local asylum hotel protests.

An army veteran and former policeman, James says he does not think asylum seekers should be housed in hotels or houses of multiple occupancy.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Where are UK’s asylum seekers from?

James has been trying to set up a 'community watch'
Image:
James has been trying to set up a ‘community watch’

“I’ve served in Kosovo and in Iraq, within the British Army,” he says. “And if I can be housed in a tent for six months, then they can too.”

The prime minister has pledged to end the “costly use of hotels to house asylum seekers in this parliament” – which would be 2029, if not earlier.

James has, by his own admission, become somewhat notorious in his local area for trying to set up what he’s called a “community watch”.

He says the police are “very good at dealing with serious crime” but believes “they seem to forget that day-to-day crime exists”.

James stresses the group 'isn't vigilantism'
Image:
James stresses the group ‘isn’t vigilantism’

Called “5 Town Migrant Watch” and advertised by him on social media, James says the volunteer group will support the Wakefield hotel protests and act as a “gentle presence” in public areas to tackle “all anti-social behaviour”.

But it will focus on “illegal migrant men” who James describes as having “conflicting traditions and cultures”.

“They come from cultures that aren’t as civilised as ours,” he says. “They don’t seem to adhere to our laws.

“And because of the cultural differences, as in the sexual assaults on children and women, they believe that’s fine in their cultures. Well, it’s not here.”

I say to James that no culture accepts sexual assaults on women and children are “fine”, a point he says he “accepts”.

But he claims that, by definition, people have already “broken the law” when they arrive on small boats in the first place.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Where are UK’s asylum seekers from?

Read more:
Government struggling to reduce migrant hotel use
Asylum seekers in hotels rise by 8% under Labour
Where are the UK’s asylum seekers from?

James’ group has attracted hundreds of supporters online, but also criticism from people who believe the group – and James himself – is not only divisive but dangerous.

James admits he has previously had a police caution for a public order offence, not related to the community watch, but stresses this group “isn’t vigilantism”.

“It’s a peaceful movement,” he says. “But if needs be, we’ll stand our ground and will prevent crime. We’re not allowed to commit crime.”

‘People are angry’

A few days later, we meet Dinah again outside the Cedar Court Hotel in Wakefield.

Protesters line the road, waving Union and St George’s flags. Some are shouting “send them back” and “stop the boats”.

The protesters and counter-protesters
Image:
The protesters and counter-protesters

Groups of counter-protesters are there too, chanting “Nazi scum” over the police barricade.

I ask Dinah how that feels.

“I think it’s hilarious,” she says. “I know what I am, I don’t value their opinion, so I couldn’t care less what they call me.”

But standing next to Dinah, also waving a Union flag, is Sharon.

She says she’s “a little bit frightened being here” and feels it’s unfair to be put in that position just “to try and get the government to listen to you”.

She added: “I’m a 60-year-old mum. I work 40 hours a week. And nobody gives me anything free. You just want fairness.”

Sharon says she wants 'fairness'
Image:
Sharon says she wants ‘fairness’

In the crowd, we find James.

I ask him what he thinks about the government plan to appeal a court ruling to shut the asylum hotel in Epping.

“Of course they were going to try and block it,” he tells me.

Dinah says she 'doesn't value' the opinion of counter-protesters
Image:
Dinah says she ‘doesn’t value’ the opinion of counter-protesters

“The smiles here and the good attitude and the positivity is masking the anger of what’s happened to the English.

“People are angry. People know that once they’re out of here,” he says, gesturing at the hotel behind us, “they’re going to be put in the community”.

“What happens then, who knows?”

Dinah and James are among thousands of protesters who share a sense of being ignored by the government – leaving an overwhelming sense of pressure and uncertainty about what will happen next.

Continue Reading

UK

UK summons Russian ambassador after British Council building hit in Kyiv

Published

on

By

UK summons Russian ambassador after British Council building hit in Kyiv

The Russian ambassador to the UK has been summoned by the Foreign Office following attacks on Kyiv overnight.

It comes after the British Council building in the Ukrainian capital suffered major damage in Russian strikes.

Politics latest: Blair ‘needs’ to disclose what he told Trump about Gaza, Lib Dems say

Foreign Secretary David Lammy confirmed the government had summoned Andrey Kelin in response.

Mr Kelin was seen arriving at the Foreign Office building in Whitehall today.

Russian ambassador to the UK Andrey Kelin arrives at the Foreign Office building in Whitehall
Image:
Russian ambassador to the UK Andrey Kelin arrives at the Foreign Office building in Whitehall

Mr Lammy posted on X: “Putin’s strikes last night killed civilians, destroyed homes and damaged buildings, including the British Council and EU Delegation in Kyiv.

“We have summoned the Russian Ambassador. The killing and destruction must stop.”

The British Council’s chief executive, Scott McDonald, said their guard for the building was injured but “stable”.

“At the insistence of my amazing colleagues, we will continue operations in Ukraine today wherever possible,” he said.

“Their resilience is awe-inspiring, and I am deeply thankful they are all safe.”

Earlier, Sir Keir Starmer said: “My thoughts are with all those affected by the senseless Russian strikes on Kyiv, which have damaged the British Council building.

“Putin is killing children and civilians, and sabotaging hopes of peace. This bloodshed must end.”

The British Council is an arms-length body from the government, and says its mission is to “support peace and prosperity by building connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and countries worldwide”.

It facilitates schemes like working, living and learning abroad for British people.

Most of its funding comes from the fees it charges people for its services, but it does also get funding from the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO).

As well as the attack on the British Council building, Russia also targeted the EU delegation building in the Ukrainian capital overnight.

Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, told reporters two missiles hit within 50 metres of the site in 20 seconds.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Devastation in Kyiv after deadly Russian attack

And Kaja Kallas, the EU’s foreign policy chief, said the bloc was also summoning Russia’s ambassador following the strike.

“No diplomatic mission should ever be a target,” she said.

The attacks came as part of wider strikes on Kyiv, which destroyed homes and buildings and killed at least 15 people and injured 38, according to Ukrainian officials.

Russia has said it targeted military sites and air bases in its large overnight strike on Ukraine – and that it is still interested in negotiations to meet its aims.

“The special military operation continues,” he said, referring to Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, which it launched in February 2022.

“You see that strikes on Russian infrastructure facilities are also continuing, and often Russian civilian infrastructure is targeted by the Kyiv regime.”

He added: “At the same time, Russia will maintain its interest in continuing the negotiation process in order to achieve the goals we face through political and diplomatic means.”

Russia’s latest attack on Ukraine has been widely condemned, with Germany’s foreign minister Johann Wadephul saying there must be “consequences”.

“Last night we once again experienced in a terrible way how Russia attacked and bombed Kyiv, civilians died, children died, and the European Union delegation was also attacked,” he told reporters.

“And that cannot remain without consequences.”

Read more:
British journalists demand action from PM over war in Gaza
Sir Ed Davey to boycott Donald Trump state dinner

Mr Wadephul added that Germany wanted to show it was considering a further response and that any action would be taken jointly by the EU.

A Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office Spokesperson said: “The UK condemns in the strongest terms these outrageous attacks on Ukrainians and the damage done to the British Council and EU Delegation.

“Russia’s increasing attacks on Ukrainian civilians and cities, including Kyiv, are an escalation of the war and deeply irresponsible and are further sabotaging international peace efforts.

“We have made clear to the Russians that such actions will only harden UK and Western resolve to support Ukraine and bring an end to this unjustified war.

“Russia must stop this senseless killing and destruction immediately.”

Continue Reading

UK

Former Met Police volunteer guilty of raping and sexually assaulting a child

Published

on

By

Former Met Police volunteer guilty of raping and sexually assaulting a child

A former Metropolitan Police volunteer has been found guilty of raping and sexually assaulting a child.

James Bubb, who now identifies as a woman named Gwyn Samuels, assaulted the victim multiple times when she was between the ages of 12 and 18.

Jurors were told Bubb, who identified as male at the time of the offences, would be referred to by their biological sex when allegations were being discussed throughout the trial.

Bubb met the victim on a video chat site in 2018, when he was around 21 and she was 12 years old. They then met in person for the first time at a Christian festival a few months later, the court was told.

The trial heard Bubb sexually assaulted the girl in public shortly before her 13th birthday, and that he was violent towards the girl when he raped her in her early teens.

Pic: Thames Valley Police
Image:
Pic: Thames Valley Police

In relation to the complainant, Bubb was on Thursday found guilty of one count of raping a child under 13, one count of sexual activity with a child, one count of assault of a child under 13 by penetration, and one count of assault by penetration.

He was found not guilty of one count of rape and one count of sexual activity with a child in relation to that complainant, and found guilty of one count of rape against a second person.

The defendant made no expression as the verdicts were read out, but sobbed with their head in their hands after the foreman finished speaking.

Bubb, who is now 27, started training with the Met in 2020.

The first victim said the defendant spoke “a lot about the powers he had” in his role as a special constable.

Read more:
Man arrested after racist abuse sent to England star
British Tour de France winner in ‘serious’ crash

The second complainant was a woman Bubb met online while posing as a 16-year-old girl.

They met when the woman had just turned 18, and were in an on-off relationship between January 2018 and February 2023.

She said Bubb used “BDSM and kink as a way of creating control” over her, and that he would “use police training techniques” on her.

“The control, the power he got, it sure as hell wasn’t consensual,” she told police.

Bubb, of Chesham, Buckinghamshire, will be sentenced at a later date.

Continue Reading

Trending