Connect with us

Published

on

Former One Direction star Liam Payne has been found dead in Argentina.

The 31-year-old singer had fallen from the third floor of a hotel in the capital Buenos Aires, suffering “extremely serious injuries”, police said.

Follow latest updates after Liam Payne found dead

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Liam Payne dies: Sky’s Martha Kelner reports

Alberto Crescenti, head of the state emergency medical system, said on Argentinian television that Payne fell into a courtyard of the CasaSur Hotel in the trendy Palermo neighbourhood.

The official declined to answer questions over whether he jumped from the balcony or fell by accident.

Mr Crescenti said authorities were investigating the circumstances of his death and conducting a post-mortem examination.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Fans hold a vigil for Liam Payne outside hotel

According to TV network Telemundo, police had been called to the hotel to reports of an aggressive man who could be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Argentinian media reported that Payne was in Buenos Aires to attend the concert of his former One Direction bandmate Niall Horan.

Hernan Palazzo, who works near the hotel, said the neighbourhood was “very shaken up… there’s a lot of police, some fans arriving. It is very sad.”

A forensic technician uses a video camera outside the hotel where Liam Payne, former One Direction member, was found dead, in Buenos Aires, Argentina, October 16, 2024. REUTERS/Agustin Marcarian
Image:
Fans and forensic workers at the scene. Pic: Reuters


Fans flocked to the hotel after news of Payne’s death broke, with many expressing shock and heartbreak.

“I didn’t think he was going to die so young,” 21-year-old Isabella Milesi said.

Payne had posted on Snapchat in the hours before his death, sharing photos of himself with his partner Kate Cassidy as well as videos in which he said it was a “lovely day here in Argentina”.

Liam Payne post on his snapchat
Image:
Payne posted on Snapchat in the last few hours

“Just enjoying coffee and breakfast, even though it’s like 1pm,” he said. “Literally sleep in every day until like 12. We’re such losers.”

The star spoke about “going to ride some horses” and said: “Think I’m going to play polo again which is going to put me out of action for about six weeks.”

Image:
In one of Payne’s final Snapchat posts, he shared a photo of himself with partner Kate Cassidy

“It’s going to be a nice day,” he added.

Payne had embarked on a solo career after One Direction announced they were going on an indefinite hiatus in 2015.

Pic: Snapchat/Liam Payne
Image:
Payne posted on Snapchat with Horan. Pic: Snapchat/Liam Payne

FILE -  One Direction's Liam Payne, second from right, poses for a photo with fellow band members Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Niall Horan and Liam Tomlinson at the GQ Men of the Year Awards in London, Sept. 6, 2011. (AP Photo/Jonathan Short, File)
Image:
Payne (second right) with his One Direction bandmates in 2011. Pic: AP

The band was formed on The X Factor in 2010, with Payne alongside Horan, Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson, and Harry Styles. They were mentored on the show by Simon Cowell.

Payne has a seven-year-old son called Bear with singer Cheryl, who was a judge on The X Factor. Their relationship began in 2016 but they split in 2018.

Payne has a son called Bear from his previous relationship with singer Cheryl, who was a judge on X Factor
Image:
Payne with his son Bear

Cheryl and Liam Payne arrive at the Brit Awards at the O2 Arena in London, Britain, February 21, 2018. Pic: Reuters/Eddie Keogh
Image:
Liam Payne and Cheryl in 2018. Pic: Reuters

Tributes poured in for Payne following his death.

Former X Factor host Dermot O’Leary posted a photo of himself and Payne on Instagram: writing: “The worst news. I remember him as a 14-year-old turning up to audition on The X Factor, and blowing us away singing Sinatra. He just loved to sing.

“He was always a joy, had time for everyone, polite, grateful, and was always humble. Sending love and prayers to his family.”

Read more:
What we know so far after Liam Payne dies
Payne posted on social media in hours before death

Charlie Puth, who collaborated with Payne on the track Bedroom Floor, posted on Instagram: “I am in shock right now.

“Liam was always so kind to me. He was one of the first major artists I got to work with. I cannot believe he is gone.”

Former X Factor contestants Jedward posted: “Sending strength to Cheryl and his son Bear and all the One Direction family.”

Another former contestant, TV presenter Rylan Clark, said: “Extremely sad news. (Very) tragic and so young. RIP Liam.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Liam Payne’s X Factor audition

Payne, who was born in Wolverhampton, had a complicated personal life and spoken openly about his struggles with alcoholism and mental health. He was also diagnosed with ADHD as an adult.

He had previously spoken about suffering with suicidal thoughts, admitting that he was “lucky to still be here”.

In 2019, Payne addressed his mental health on Sky show Straight Talking with Ant Middleton, where he spoke about his struggles with fame.

Describing fame as like “having a weird midlife crisis”, Payne said: “For some certain circumstances, I’m quite lucky to be here still.”

Since October 2022, Payne has been linked to influencer Cassidy, recently posting on Instagram that they “make each other better people”, and adding: “For the first time in my life I’m happy to be me and that’s priceless.”

He was previously engaged to Maya Henry, with their relationship ending in 2022.

Earlier this week, it was reported she had issued legal proceedings – instructing lawyers to issue a cease and desist letter to Liam – and she posted a video on TikTok claiming the singer had been repeatedly sending her unwanted messages.

Last week, the Sun reported Liam had parted with his management company and shelved plans for a second solo album.

Anyone feeling emotionally distressed can call Samaritans for help on 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org in the UK. In the US, call the Samaritans branch in your area or 1 (800) 273-TALK

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

Published

on

By

Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

Russell Brand has been charged with rape and two counts of sexual assault between 1999 and 2005.

The Metropolitan Police say the 50-year-old comedian, actor and author has also been charged with one count of oral rape and one count of indecent assault.

The charges relate to four women.

He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday 2 May.

Police have said Brand is accused of raping a woman in the Bournemouth area in 1999 and indecently assaulting a woman in the Westminster area of London in 2001.

He is also accused of orally raping and sexually assaulting a woman in Westminster in 2004.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Ashna Hurynag discusses Russell Brand’s charges

The fourth charge alleges that a woman was sexually assaulted in Westminster between 2004 and 2005.

Police began investigating Brand, from Oxfordshire, in September 2023 after receiving a number of allegations.

Read more from Sky News:
Mum spared prison after son’s death
Last UK blast furnaces days from closure
Ship owner files legal claim after North Sea crash

The comedian has denied the accusations and said he has “never engaged in non-consensual activity”.

He added in a video on X: “Of course, I am now going to have the opportunity to defend these charges in court, and I’m incredibly grateful for that.”

Metropolitan Police Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, who is leading the investigation, said: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.

“The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Tom Cruise leads moment of silence in tribute to ‘dear friend’ Val Kilmer

Published

on

By

Tom Cruise leads moment of silence in tribute to 'dear friend' Val Kilmer

Tom Cruise has paid tribute to Val Kilmer, wishing his Top Gun co-star “well on the next journey”.

Cruise, speaking at the CinemaCon film event in Las Vegas on Thursday, asked for a moment’s silence to reflect on the “wonderful” times shared with the star, whom he called a “dear friend”.

Kilmer, who died of pneumonia on Tuesday aged 65, rocketed to fame starring alongside Cruise in the 1986 blockbuster Top Gun, playing Tom ‘Iceman’ Kazansky, a rival fighter pilot to Cruise’s character Maverick.

Tom Cruise, star of the upcoming film "Mission: Impossible - The Final Reckoning," leads a moment of silence for late actor Val Kilmer during the Paramount Pictures presentation at CinemaCon at Caesars Palace on Thursday, April 3, 2025, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)
Image:
Tom Cruise said ‘I wish you well on the next journey’. Pic: AP

Val Kilmer in 2017. Pic: AP
Image:
Val Kilmer in 2017. Pic: AP

His last part was a cameo role in the 2022 blockbuster sequel Top Gun: Maverick.

Cruise, on stage at Caesars Palace on Thursday, said: “I’d like to honour a dear friend of mine, Val Kilmer. I can’t tell you how much I admire his work, how grateful and honoured I was when he joined Top Gun and came back later for Top Gun: Maverick.

“I think it would be really nice if we could have a moment together because he loved movies and he gave a lot to all of us. Just kind of think about all the wonderful times that we had with him.

“I wish you well on the next journey.”

The moment of silence followed a string of tributes from Hollywood figures including Cher, Francis Ford Coppola, Antonio Banderas and Michelle Monaghan.

Kilmer’s daughter Mercedes told the New York Times on Wednesday that the actor had died from pneumonia.

Tom Cruise takes part in the Paramount Pictures presentation at CinemaCon at Caesars Palace on Thursday, April 3, 2025, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)
Image:
Tom Cruise at Caesars Palace on Thursday. Pic: AP

Diagnosed with throat cancer in 2014, Kilmer discussed his illness and recovery in his 2020 memoir Your Huckleberry and Amazon Prime documentary Val.

He underwent radiation and chemotherapy treatments for the disease and also had a tracheostomy which damaged his vocal cords and permanently gave him a raspy speaking voice.

Kilmer played Batman in the 1995 film Batman Forever and received critical acclaim for his portrayal of rock singer Jim Morrison in the 1991 movie The Doors.

Read more from Sky News:
Tributes to ‘genius’ Kilmer
Richest billionaires named
Springsteen’s seven new albums

He also starred in True Romance and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, as well as playing criminal Chris Shiherlis in Michael Mann’s 1995 movie Heat and Doc Holliday in the 1993 film Tombstone.

In 1988 he married British actress Joanne Whalley, whom he met while working on fantasy adventure Willow.

The couple had two children before divorcing in 1996.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Bruce Springsteen: The Boss to release seven ‘lost’ albums

Published

on

By

Bruce Springsteen: The Boss to release seven 'lost' albums

Bruce Springsteen is to release seven albums of mostly unheard material this summer.

The US singer said the songs, written and re-recorded between 1983 and 2018, were being made public after he began completing “everything I had in my vault” during the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a short video posted on Instagram, Springsteen said the albums were “records that were full records, some of them even to the point of being mixed and not released”.

The 83-song collection is being released in a box set called Tracks II: The Lost Albums and goes on sale on 27 June.

Some 74 of the tracks have never been heard before.

Springsteen first teased the release on Wednesday morning with a short social media video accompanied by text which said: “What was lost has been found”.

Tracks II is the follow-up to the star’s first Tracks volume, a four-CD collection of 66 unreleased songs, released in 1998.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - MARCH 26, 2025: Bruce Springsteen took the stage at Carnegie Hall for People Have the Power: A Celebration of Patti Smith, an electrifying tribute to the legendary artist. The event, presented by Michael Dorf, honored Smiths profound impact on music, poetry, and activism, bringing together an all-star lineup to perform her most iconic songs. (Photo: Giada Papini Rampelotto/EuropaNewswire). Photo by: Giada Papini Rampelotto/EuropaNewswire/picture-alliance/dpa/AP Images
Image:
Bruce Springsteen at New York’s Carnegie Hall at a tribute to Patti Smith last month. Pic: PA

The New Jersey-born rocker, nicknamed The Boss, last released a studio album in 2022.

Only the Strong Survive was a collection of covers, including songs by Motown and soul artists, such as the Four Tops, The Temptations, The Supremes, Frankie Wilson and Jimmy Ruffin.

The late soul legend Sam Moore, who died in January and was a frequent Springsteen collaborator, sang on two of the tracks.

Read more from Sky News:
Tributes to ‘genius’ Kilmer
Penguin island facing tariffs
Richest billionaires named

Springsteen is coming to the UK in May to launch a two-month tour of Europe with his E Street Band.

The shows will include performances at the Co-op Live in Manchester and Liverpool’s Anfield stadium.

The singer-songwriter has sold more than 140 million records since his debut on the music scene in 1973, according to his website.

Continue Reading

Trending