Connect with us

Published

on

The UK government is considering sanctioning two Israeli ministers, Sir Keir Starmer has said.

The prime minister said he was “looking into” penalising Israeli finance minister Bezalel Smotrich and national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir.

Politics latest: Sunak tries to wrong-foot Starmer

At Prime Minister’s Questions, Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey asked if the two Israeli politicians would be sanctioned after Mr Smotrich had claimed “starving two million people in Gaza might be justified”, while Mr Ben-Gvir had “called settlers who killed a 19-year-old on the West Bank heroes”.

Sir Keir answered: “We are looking at that.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Watch PMQs in full

The PM said Mr Smotrich and Mr Ben-Gvir had made “abhorrent” comments about the situation in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

“The humanitarian situation in Gaza is dire,” he added.

“The death toll has passed 42,000 and access to basic services is becoming much harder.

“Israel must take all possible steps to avoid civilian casualties, to allow aid into Gaza in much greater volumes, and provide the UN humanitarian partners the ability to operate effectively.”

Former foreign secretary Lord Cameron revealed on Tuesday he had been working on a plan to sanction the Israeli ministers – who he called “extremist” – over their support for blocking aid from entering the Gaza Strip and expanding illegal settlements there and in the West Bank.

Reacting to Sir Keir’s comments, Mr Ben-Gvir told Israeli media that “just as before the establishment of the Jewish state the British worked to make it impossible, now they continue to do so after its establishment in the midst of an existential war”.

Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir looks on, near the scene of a shooting attack in Jaffa, Israel, September 1, 2024. REUTERS/Ammar Awad
Image:
Itamar Ben-Gvir (centre) issued a response to Sir Keir Starmer’s comments. File pic: Reuters

He said “the days of the British Mandate” – which saw the UK govern what was then Mandatory Palestine – “are over”.

Mr Ben-Gvir added: “They do not scare me, and I will continue to act in accordance with the supreme national interests of the state of Israel only and for the people of the country.”

The UK government has announced a fresh wave of sanctions in response to violence by “extremist Israeli settlers” in the West Bank.

The measures target three outposts and four organisations that have supported and perpetrated “heinous abuses of human rights” against Palestinian communities in the occupied territory, Foreign Secretary David Lammy said.

👉 Click here to listen wherever you get your podcasts 👈

The UK has called an urgent meeting of the UN Security Council as the humanitarian situation in northern Gaza deteriorates.

Mr Lammy said the UK, with France and Algeria, requested the meeting due to the “dire” humanitarian situation in northern Gaza.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Shaban al Dalu’s story after Israeli strike

He said access to basic services is “worsening” and the UN has reported “barely any food has entered in the last two weeks”.

“Israel must ensure civilians are protected and ensure routes are open to allow life-saving aid through,” the foreign secretary said.

Mr Lammy also reiterated the UK’s “steadfast support for Israel’s security” and called for an immediate ceasefire in the region.

Read more:
Follow live updates on Middle East conflict

‘Life was beautiful’: How Gaza has changed in last year
Timeline of events in year of war in Middle East

The US has warned Benjamin Netanyahu’s government more humanitarian aid must enter Gaza in the next 30 days or Israel could lose access to American military financing.

Aid levels must increase to 350 trucks a day and Israel must allow more humanitarian pauses and security for humanitarian sites to continue to qualify for military funding, the US has said.

Just 80 aid trucks have entered northern Gaza since the beginning of October, while 60 trucks a day went through before, UN officials said.

Continue Reading

Politics

Nasdaq crypto chief pledges to ‘move as fast as we can’ on tokenized stocks

Published

on

By

Nasdaq crypto chief pledges to ‘move as fast as we can’ on tokenized stocks

The US Nasdaq stock exchange is making SEC approval of its proposal to offer tokenized versions of stocks listed on the exchange a top priority, according to the exchange’s crypto chief.

“We’ll just move as fast as we can,” Nasdaq’s head of digital assets strategy, Matt Savarese, said during an interview with CNBC on Thursday, when asked whether the SEC could approve the proposal this year.

“I think what we have to really evaluate where the public comments come back in and then answer and respond to the SEC questions as they come through,” Savarese said. “We hope to kind of work with them as quickly as possible,” Savarese said.

Savarese says Nasdaq isn’t “upending the system”

The proposal, submitted by Nasdaq on Sept. 8, is requesting to allow investors to buy and sell stock tokens — digital representations of shares in publicly traded companies — on the exchange.

Savarese emphasized that Nasdaq is not trying to overhaul the way stocks are invested in when asked whether he expects other major exchanges to follow suit.

Nasdaq, SEC, United States
Nasdaq’s head of digital assets, Matt Savarese, spoke to CNBC on Thursday. Source: CNBC

“We’re not looking at upending the system; we want everyone to come along for that ride and bring tokenization more into the mainstream,” he said.

“We want to do it in that responsible investor-led way first, under the SEC rules themselves,” he added.

It was only in October that Robinhood CEO Vlad Tenev said that tokenization will “eventually eat the whole financial system.”

The crypto industry is divided on tokenized equities

Savarese emphasized that Nasdaq is aiming to be an innovator in the ecosystem, noting that the exchange was the first to transition markets from paper-based trading to electronic systems.

Related: DATs bring crypto’s insider trading problem to TradFi: Shane Molidor

Tokenizing stocks has been one of the most significant talking points in the crypto industry this year.

On Sept. 3, Galaxy Digital CEO Mike Novogratz said the company became the first Nasdaq-listed company to tokenize its equity on a major blockchain following its launch on the Solana network.

The conversation around tokenized equities has also drawn skepticism from the crypto industry.

On Oct. 1, Rob Hadick, general partner at crypto venture firm Dragonfly, told Cointelegraph that tokenized equities will be a significant benefit to traditional markets, but may not be a boon to the crypto industry as others have predicted.

Hadick said that if tokenized stocks use layer-2 networks, it creates “leakage” as value and may not flow back to Ethereum or the broader crypto ecosystem as much as hoped.

Magazine: When privacy and AML laws conflict: Crypto projects’ impossible choice