Connect with us

Published

on

The son of Jimmy Lai, the tycoon and pro-democracy activist jailed in Hong Kong, has called for “urgent” intervention from the UK as his father’s health deteriorates in solitary confinement.

British citizen Mr Lai, one of the most prominent critics of the Chinese Communist Party, has been in prison since December 2020.

He is serving almost six years for lease fraud – normally a civil issue resulting in a fine – and is also facing trial for sedition and collusion with foreign forces.

Jimmy Lai
Image:
Jimmy Lai in 2020. Pic: AP

Mr Lai’s detention has been discussed in talks during UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy’s visit to Beijing on Friday – his first trip to China since taking office.

The Foreign Office described the engagement as “pragmatic and necessary” and said Mr Lammy’s meeting with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi was “constructive”.

On the agenda was human rights including Mr Lai and the alleged mistreatment of Uyghurs in Xinjiang.

Mr Lai’s son Sebastien told Sky News he hoped Mr Lammy made it clear that “it is impossible to normalise the relationship if they still have a British national that’s imprisoned for standing up for freedoms that underpin our democracy”.

“We can’t trade on equal grounds with a partner that does not believe in our right to speak up and our right to freedom and exist,” he added.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

What does the UK hope to achieve with China?

Mr Lai said his father’s case is “urgent”, telling Sky News: “I haven’t seen my dad in four years, since the end of 2020 when he was arrested.

“He’s 76, almost 77, he’s been kept in solitary confinement for four years – I haven’t seen him in the maximum security prison.

“His health has got quite a bit worse, as you might expect, so it’s about bringing my father home but it’s also about saving his life.”

During this week’s Prime Minister’s Questions, Sir Keir Starmer said the release of Mr Lai is a “priority” for the government.

Read more:
Lammy faces complicated issues on China visit
China’s tightening grip on Islam

During his meeting in Beijing, Mr Lammy also discussed “foreign policy and security matters”, including Chinese companies supplying equipment to the Russian military and the ongoing situation in the Middle East.

But there was no direct reference to Taiwan.

Earlier in the week, China held large-scale military exercises surrounding the island, which Sir Keir described as “not conducive to peace and stability”.

In a sign the UK government is serious about engaging with China, the world’s second-largest economy, Mr Lammy spoke of scope for “mutually beneficial co-operation” in areas such as climate, energy, science, trade and technology.

He also cautioned that Britain would “always put its national interests and national security first”.

Following the meeting, Mr Wang said: “China-Britain relations… now stand at a new starting point. Competition among major powers should not be the backdrop of this era.”

The British government had previously commissioned an audit of the UK-China relationship given allegations of Chinese cyber attacks and spying on British soil.

Beijing says those claims are “completely fabricated”.

Continue Reading

Politics

Appeals court overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping hotel

Published

on

By

Appeals court overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping hotel

A temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Essex has been overturned at the Court of Appeal.

The Home Office and Somani Hotels, which owns the Bell Hotel in Epping, have successfully challenged a High Court ruling. Today’s hearing saw both parties win the right to appeal, before also winning the appeals themselves.

Lord Justice Bean, sitting with Lady Justice Nicola Davies and Lord Justice Cobb, quashed an earlier injunction granted to Epping Forest District Council, saying: “We allow the appeals and we set aside the injunction imposed on 19 August 2025.”

This means asylum seekers will stay in the accommodation in Essex past 12 September. There are currently 138 asylum seekers being housed at the hotel.

Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA
Image:
Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA

Last week, the initial court ruling centred on the change in use of the premises without consent from the local authority.

But after the Home Office argued its case – which involved stating it had the right to appeal – judges have backed the government’s side.

The decision avoids a precedent for other councils to appeal against asylum hotels in their areas.

Council ‘will continue the fight’

A councillor for Epping said the “battle is not over” after the Court of Appeal ruling and vowed the council would “continue the fight”.

Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA
Image:
Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA

Speaking outside the London court, Ken Williamson, said: “We are deeply disappointed by the outcome of today’s hearing.

“The concern and motivation of Epping Forest District Council throughout has been the wellbeing of our local residents, where we had clarity and resolution, we now have doubt and confusion.”

The council could still be granted an injunction following a full hearing of the legal claim, which is due to be heard in October.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Reform UK’s deputy leader Richard Tice: Epping residents should feel ‘angry and frustrated’

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage also criticised the ruling, claiming that “illegal migrants have more rights than the British people under (Keir) Starmer”.

Tory leader Kemi Badenoch echoed this in her own statement, saying: “Keir Starmer has shown that he puts the rights of illegal immigrants above the rights of British people who just want to feel safe in their towns and communities.”

She also urged Conservative councillors seeking similar injunctions against asylum hotels to “keep going” despite the ruling.

Focal point of protests

Epping Forest District Council had asked for the injunction after the Bell Hotel became the focal point of several protests and counter-protests. It claimed its owner, Somani Hotels, had breached planning rules.

Lord Justice Stephen Eyre, who gave the original High Court decision, had said that while the council had not “definitively established” that the company had breached planning rules, “the strength of the claimant’s case is such that it weighs in favour” of granting the injunction.

Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July
Image:
Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July

Regular protests have been held outside the Bell Hotel since an asylum seeker housed there was accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in July.

Hadush Gerberslasie Kebatu, 38, denies two counts of sexual assault, one count of attempted sexual assault, one count of inciting a girl to engage in sexual activity, and one count of harassment without violence.

His trial has been taking place this week and verdicts are expected at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on 4 September.

A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A
Image:
A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A

After the Court of Appeal ruling, a small number of protesters gathered outside the Bell Hotel carrying England and Union flags, with police officers guarding the entrance to the hotel, which is gated off with metal fencing.

An England flag has been attached to a drainpipe outside the hotel, while England flags have also been painted onto signs and a speed camera outside the hotel.

Continue Reading

Politics

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Published

on

By

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Avalanche transaction growth topped all blockchain networks with 66%, as the smart-contract network saw more government implementation and renewed ETF applications.

Continue Reading

Politics

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in $100M fraud case

Published

on

By

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in 0M fraud case

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in 0M fraud case

Unicoin urged a New York judge to toss the SEC’s $100 million fraud case, arguing the regulator misquoted filings and relied on “snippets” taken out of context.

Continue Reading

Trending