Commonwealth leaders will agree plans to look at reparations for the slave trade, in defiance of Sir Keir Starmer.
The UK prime minister called the transatlantic slave trade “abhorrent” but ruled out reparations as he said countries affected would rather the UK help them with current issues, such as the impact of climate change.
His spokesman earlier this week said: “The government’s position on this has not changed – we do not pay reparations.”
However, as the biennial Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) begins in Samoa tomorrow, Sky News has learned officials from some countries are drawing up an agreement to conduct further research and begin a “meaningful conversation”.
It could leave the UK owing billions of pounds in reparations, which are usually defined as payments paid by a country for damage or losses caused to other countries or their people.
At the end of the summit, the 55 leaders will agree a “communique”, which explains what was discussed and summarises decisions on specific issues.
More on Commonwealth
Related Topics:
Some leaders are understood to want to include slavery reparations in the communique, with a draft version saying leaders “agreed that the time has come for a meaningful, truthful and respectful conversation towards forging a common future based on equity”, according to the BBC.
Other leaders want a separate declaration demanding reparatory justice, which the UK and some countries are unlikely to sign.
Advertisement
This would be the worst case scenario for the UK as leaders would have to vote on it, risking a split in the Commonwealth.
Image: The PM with Samoan Prime Minister Afioga Fiame Naomi Mata’afa (centre). Pic: PA
As well as payments, reparatory justice could also take the form of debt relief, an official apology, educational programmes, economic support, public health assistance and building museums.
Following reports Commonwealth leaders are demanding reparations, senior Labour MP Lucy Powell doubled down on the government’s position, saying: “Our position on reparations hasn’t changed.
“We’re committed to working with our Commonwealth partners on the very pressing issues that we are facing today, and looking forward to the future and not looking to the past.”
Mr Starmer’s spokesman added: “The prime minister believes that we should be facing forward and that remains our position.”
A source told Sky News’ political editor Beth Rigby Sir Keir’s refusal to put reparations on the agenda has agitated some leaders and it looks like no matter what he wants, the issue will be in the final communique.
Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis has said he wants reparatory justice mentioned in the communique and will try to have a “frank” conversation with Sir Keir.
“It’s not just about an apology,” he told Politico.
“It’s not about money, it’s about an appreciation and embracing and understanding of what our ancestors went through, that has left a scourge on our race, culturally, mentally and physically.”
Image: King Charles and Queen Camilla with members of a cricket team during a visit to the Samoan Cultural Village in Apia.
Pic: PA
He is hoping to speak directly to Sir Keir, who he called “a fair-minded just individual”, on Saturday when there will be a six-hour leaders’ retreat with no aides, leaving them to speak more freely.
The two leaders are familiar to each other, having each represented defendants in a legal case in 2003 that led to the mandatory death penalty being abolished in the Bahamas.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:53
What do Samoans think of King Charles?
King Charles and Queen Camilla are also in Samoa where the king will address the summit following a trip to Australia where they faced protests and accusations of stealing Aboriginal land and committing “genocide against our people”.
Sir Ed Davey has written to King Charles to explain why he believes he has to refuse his invite to a state banquet for Donald Trump.
The Lib Dem leader said on Wednesday he will be boycotting the dinner next month during the US president’s second state visit to the UK because of the situation in Gaza.
He told Sky News on Thursday: “I’ve written to him [the King] personally explaining my thinking.
“And it’s with deep regret that I’ve had to take the decision, but I feel with what is going on in Gaza, it’s the best way I can get my voice heard.”
Sir Ed said the “sad truth” is Mr Trump is the “one man” who has the power to stop the “horrible famine in Gaza, could get the hostages released, could bring an end to this horrendous humanitarian crisis”.
He said the US president could do that by phoning up Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and telling him to stop.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
The Lib Dem leader said Mr Trump could also call up the Qatari government and other Gulf states to get them to put pressure on Hamas to release the remaining 50 Israeli hostages (20 living, 30 dead) they took on 7 October 2023.
Image: The King and Donald Trump during his first state visit in 2019. Pic: Reuters
He emphasised that he has “huge respect” for the King and it was a very difficult decision he “really wrestled with” and involved him talking to his wife and praying about it.
Sir Ed denied it was political posturing and instead is one of the only ways he could get Mr Trump to listen.
“I didn’t want him to come to the UK without being reminded, as best I can, that he has that moral responsibility, frankly,” he added.
“And from what I’m picking up from many people, there are people across the political spectrum who agree with me and the Democrats that it is Donald Trump, it is the United States who has this power over Netanyahu, over Hamas, albeit indirectly, to stop this horrendous situation.”
Publicly refusing the King’s invite is “the best way I can get my voice heard,” Sir Ed said.
Image: King Charles will host a state dinner for Donald Trump. Pic: PA
Tony Blair at White House Gaza meeting
While Sir Ed is choosing to snub Mr Trump to get his voice heard, former Labour prime minister Sir Tony Blair has been asked by the US president for help on Gaza.
Sir Tony joined a White House meeting on Wednesday, chaired by Mr Trump, to discuss the war in Gaza and post-war plans for the Palestinian territory, a senior White House official confirmed.
They were joined by Mr Trump’s former Middle East envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to also discuss the hostage crisis and plans to escalate food aid deliveries.
The official described it as “simply a policy meeting”.
In July, the Financial Times reported the Tony Blair Institute had participated in a project to develop a post-war Gaza plan, with the think tank having “had many calls with different groups on post-war reconstruction of Gaza but none included the idea of forcible relocation of people from Gaza”.
Sir Ed called on Sir Tony to be quizzed in parliament about his discussions with the Trump administration.
“If he has special insight into Trump’s intentions, it’s only right that parliament and the government are made privy to this,” he said.
“We must leverage all the information and resources at our disposal to make Trump do the right thing.”
The change is part of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission’s “crypto sprint,” an initiative to overhaul regulations in response to proposals from the Trump administration.