Connect with us

Published

on

Donald Trump is preparing to pick his top team after pulling off a stunning comeback to return to the White House.

If his first term as president is anything to go by, some of those jobs could go to members of his large and in most cases politically-inexperienced family.

The president-elect has five children from three marriages – with his three sons all reported to have contributed to his 2024 campaign in some way.

Follow latest: US election live updates

In June 2023, Mr Trump said he wouldn’t want his children to serve in a second administration because “it’s too painful for the family”.

However, his critics might say that it wouldn’t be the first time he has said one thing before going on to do another.

Here we take a look at the incoming president’s family and how they might feature in the Trump White House 2.0.

Donald Trump Jr

Often nicknamed Don Jr, Mr Trump’s eldest son has become much more involved in his father’s political career than he was during his time in office between 2017 and 2021.

The 46-year-old took up a role as an adviser when his father began considering a third campaign for the White House after losing to Joe Biden in 2020.

He is said to have been helping to make sure his father understands his core voters, with a Trump aide telling CNN in 2021: “Don has the pulse of the base and knows where the energy of the party is, so he’s sort of the go-to person now on a lot of political things.”

Don Jr also advocated for incoming vice president JD Vance to become Mr Trump’s running mate in the 2024 election.

Meanwhile, his podcast Triggered is said to have become influential among his father’s supporters.

It would therefore perhaps be unsurprising if Don Jr, one of the president-elect’s three children from his first marriage to Ivana Trump, lands a relatively senior role in the next White House administration.

Donald Trump with his son Don Jr at an election night watch party. Pic: AP
Image:
Donald Trump with his son Don Jr at an election night watch party. Pic: AP

Eric Trump

Much like his brother, Eric frequently made appearances during his father’s 2024 election campaign.

Addressing a rally in Pennsylvania in October, three months after the assassination attempt on his father, Eric shouted: “Fight! Fight! Fight! They tried to smear us, they tried to bankrupt us, they came after us, they impeached him twice … then, guys, they tried to kill him.”

While his brother focuses on understanding voters, Eric is said to be more aligned with the Republican Party machinery.

His wife Lara Trump is the co-chair of the Republican National Committee.

Eric is also executive vice president of the Trump Organization – which serves as the holding company for all of his father’s business ventures and investments.

Clearly trusted by his father, the 40-year-old, who is the president-elect’s second child from his marriage to Ivana Trump, could also secure a role in the next White House.

Read more US election news:
‘Proud’ Harris gives concession speech

Trump has won – what happens now?
Trump’s main pledges for second term
Trump still faces criminal charges – here’s what happens next
US talk show host on verge of tears after Trump win

Donald Trump with son Eric and daughter Tiffany at a campaign rally earlier this month. Pic: AP
Image:
Donald Trump with son Eric and daughter Tiffany at a campaign rally earlier this month. Pic: AP

Ivanka Trump

One of the incoming president’s two daughters, Ivanka and her partner Jared Kushner were senior advisors in the first Trump administration.

However in November 2022, Ivanka announced she would be stepping back from politics.

Her appearance alongside her father at Palm Beach as he declared victory in the election on Wednesday was her first of the campaign.

It appears unlikely Ivanka, the third child from her father’s marriage to Ivana Trump, will be returning to the White House when the president-elect takes office in January.

Barron Trump

The 6ft 7in teenager was seen towering over his father as he declared victory in the 2024 election at a speech in Florida.

Barron, 18, is the only child of the incoming president and his current wife Melania Trump.

The teenager reportedly advised his father to go on high-profile podcasts, such as The Joe Rogan Experience, during the 2024 campaign.

He is currently studying at New York University, and there have been reports he wants to follow in his father’s footsteps by going into politics.

However, it may be a bit too early for him to do so just yet.

Republican presidential nominee former U.S. President Donald Trump gestures next to his wife Melania Trump, son Barron Trump and Republican vice presidential nominee JD Vance, following early results from the 2024 U.S. presidential election in Palm Beach County Convention Center, in West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., November 6, 2024. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
Image:
Donald Trump, centre, with son Barron, left, wife Melania, right, and incoming vice president JD Vance

Tiffany Trump

The 31-year-old, who is the only child from Mr Trump’s marriage to Marla Maples, supports her father’s politics and celebrated his win.

However, there is no suggestion Tiffany, who graduated from the Georgetown University Law Centre in 2020, will form part of his team or enter politics as a career.

Tiffany Trump, dressed in white. on election night. Pic: AP
Image:
Tiffany Trump, dressed in white, on election night. Pic: AP

Melania Trump

The former first lady will know what to expect as she prepares for another four years in the White House.

Mary Jordan, a Washington Post journalist and author of a book about Melania, has said she was like a “deer in the headlights” during the first term but could be a greater force the second time around.

Speaking to the i news website she said: “Melania will know more this time, she will have more experience, she will be wiser.

“Last time she was in the midst of a big feud with Ivanka who took some of the positions for the first lady – it was chaos… This time she will be wiser and have better people around her, hopefully people that won’t let her wear jackets with rude things on the back.”

Donald Trump and his wife Melania at an election rally in Florida. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Donald Trump and his wife Melania at an election rally in Florida. Pic: Reuters

The comment refers to a time when Melania wore a coat saying “I really don’t care, do you?” as she travelled to a migrant children’s shelter.

During Mr Trump’s first term in office, the 54-year-old compared living in the White House to being in a Venezuelan prison.

Whether she will enjoy it more this time, and play a bigger role in the Trump administration, remains to be seen.

Kai Trump

The 17-year-old, who is the daughter of Don Jr, has become a social media star thanks to her speeches in praise of her grandfather.

However, it may be a bit too early for her to join his top team in the next White House administration.

Continue Reading

US

US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials from United Nations’ annual meeting in New York

Published

on

By

US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials from United Nations' annual meeting in New York

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials have been blocked from attending September’s annual meeting of the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

US secretary of state Marco Rubio has revoked the US visas of delegates from the Palestinian Authority (PA) and Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), and denied others from applying for one.

It is the latest step by Donald Trump’s administration to target Palestinians with visa restrictions, and follows the suspension of a programme to allow injured children from Gaza to receive treatment in the US.

Mahmoud Abbas addressed the general assembly in 2024, but is barred from next month's meeting. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Mahmoud Abbas addressed the general assembly in 2024, but is barred from next month’s meeting. Pic: Reuters

“It is in our national security interests to hold the PLO and PA accountable for not complying with their commitments, and for undermining the prospects for peace,” a statement from the US State Department said.

It added that, to be considered partners for peace, both groups “must consistently repudiate terrorism, and end incitement to terrorism in education, as required by US law and as promised by the PLO”.

Offensive will cause ‘intolerable deaths’

Several US allies, including France, Malta, and Australia have announced plans to recognise Palestine as a state at September’s United Nations General Assembly. Canada and the UK will too, unless Israel meets certain conditions.

More on Mahmoud Abbas

Israel declared Gaza’s largest city a dangerous combat zone on Friday.

The army launched a planned offensive that has drawn international condemnation.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Thick smoke rises from Gaza City after Israeli strikes

Foreign ministers from Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Slovenia and Spain released a joint statement saying the military operations in Gaza City will cause “intolerable deaths of innocent Palestinian civilians”.

Gaza latest: Israel’s Gaza City offensive condemned

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians are sheltering in Gaza City while enduring famine.

An Israeli armoured vehicle in northern Gaza on Friday. Pic: AP
Image:
An Israeli armoured vehicle in northern Gaza on Friday. Pic: AP

Palestinians ride a truck carrying humanitarian aid in Gaza City. Pic: AP
Image:
Palestinians ride a truck carrying humanitarian aid in Gaza City. Pic: AP

The Palestinian ambassador to the United Nations (UN), Riyad Mansour, said Mr Abbas had planned to lead the delegation to the UN meetings and was expected to address the general assembly at the general debate, which begins on 23 September.

He was also expected to attend a high-level meeting co-chaired by France and Saudi Arabia on 22 September about a two-state solution, a broad idea involving Israel coexisting with an independent Palestinian state.

The State of Palestine is an observer member of the UN, meaning it can speak at meetings but not vote on resolutions.

The State of Palestine cannot vote on UN resolutions. Pic: AP
Image:
The State of Palestine cannot vote on UN resolutions. Pic: AP

US decision ‘contravenes international law’

The Palestinian Authority “expressed its deep regret and astonishment” at the visa decision, calling it “a violation of US commitments” as the host of the UN, and claiming it “contravenes international law”.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said the world body would be seeking clarification in the “hope that this will be resolved”.

Hundreds of diplomats left when Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu began speaking at the general assembly in 2024. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Hundreds of diplomats left when Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu began speaking at the general assembly in 2024. Pic: Reuters

The State Department said that the Palestinian Authority’s mission to the UN, comprising officials who are permanently based there, would not be included in the restrictions.

Under a 1947 UN agreement, the US is generally required to allow access for foreign diplomats to the UN in New York.

But Washington has said it can deny visas for security, extremism and foreign policy reasons.

Read more from Sky News:
Analysis: Israel is killing a lot of journalists
Hospitals ‘overwhelmed’ by malnutrition cases
Tony Blair meets Trump over Gaza

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

The death toll in Gaza has now risen to 63,025, according to the Hamas-run health ministry, which does not differentiate between civilians and combatants.

It also reported five more malnutrition-related deaths in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number during the war to 322, with 121 of them children.

Continue Reading

US

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

Published

on

By

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

US President Donald Trump has revoked Secret Service protection for former vice president and 2024 Democratic rival Kamala Harris.

A senior adviser to Harris, Kirsten Allen, confirmed the decision. “The vice president is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” said the adviser.

Typically, vice presidents receive a six-month security detail from the Secret Service after they leave office, although it had been extended to 18 months for Harris, according to officials.

Initially, then-president Joe Biden extended her security arrangements to one year, or January 2026, according to reports.

However, a Secret Service official told Sky News’ US partner, NBC, that Biden subsequently signed an executive memorandum in January increasing the then vice-president’s protection period even further, to 18 months.

Former US presidents receive Secret Service protection for life.

Read more from Sky News:
Ed Davey has written to King to explain Trump dinner boycott
Thai prime minister sacked for ethics violation

More from US

Harris, who lost the 2024 presidential election to Mr Trump, is due to start a book tour for her memoir, “107 Days”, shortly.

She was the Democratic nominee for 107 days after Biden exited the race in the weeks following a challenging debate against Trump.

Mr Trump has also ended federal security protection for others, including former national security adviser John Bolton. Last week, FBI agents raided Bolton’s Maryland home.

In March, the president ended protection for Joe Biden’s children – Hunter and Ashley Biden.

Harris has not ruled out a possible presidential run in 2028. She announced in July that she would not run for governor of California in 2026.

Continue Reading

US

Boy, 8, and girl, 10, killed in US Catholic school shooting named – as father brands attacker ‘a coward’

Published

on

By

Boy, 8, and girl, 10, killed in US Catholic school shooting named - as father brands attacker 'a coward'

The families of two children killed in the US Catholic school shooting have said their “hearts are broken” and branded the attacker a “coward”.

Fletcher Merkel who was eight and 10-year-old Harper Moyski were killed during mass at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis on Wednesday.

Eighteen other people were injured, including children aged between six and 15 and three adults in their 80s.

Police said Robin Westman, a male born as Robert Westman, opened fire with a rifle through the windows of the school’s church as children sat in pews.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

New details released of US school shooting

‘Our hearts are broken’

Harper’s parents, Michael Moyski and Jackie Flavin, remembered her as “a bright, joyful, and deeply loved 10-year-old whose laughter, kindness, and spirit touched everyone who knew her”.

“Our hearts are broken not only as parents, but also for Harper’s sister, who adored her big sister and is grieving an unimaginable loss. As a family, we are shattered, and words cannot capture the depth of our pain,” their statement said.

They urged leaders and communities to “take meaningful steps to address gun violence and the mental health crisis in this country.”

“Change is possible, and it is necessary – so that Harper’s story does not become yet another in a long line of tragedies,” the statement added.

The family of Fletcher Merkel said there was a 'hole in our hearts'. Pic: Family handout/AP
Image:
The family of Fletcher Merkel said there was a ‘hole in our hearts’. Pic: Family handout/AP

‘Fletcher loved his family’

In a statement reported by Sky’s US partner network NBC News, Fletcher’s father Jesse Merkel blamed the “coward” killer for why the boy’s family can’t “hold him, talk to him, play with him, and watch him grow into the wonderful young man he was on the path to becoming”.

He said: “Fletcher loved his family, friends, fishing, cooking, and any sports that he was allowed to play.

“While the hole in our hearts and lives will never be filled, I hope that in time, our family can find healing.”

Mr Merkel also praised “the swift and heroic actions of children and adults alike from inside the church”.

“Without these people and their selfless actions, this could have been a tragedy of many magnitudes more. For these people, I am thankful,” he added.

Families and loved ones reunite at the scene after the shooting. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Families and loved ones reunite at the scene after the shooting. Pic: Reuters

Mayor calls for assault weapon ban

It comes after Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey called for a statewide and federal ban on assault weapons, a day after the deadly school shooting.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Minneapolis mayor urges assault weapons ban

“Thoughts and prayers are not going to cut it. It’s on all of us to see this through,” the mayor said at a news conference. “We need a statewide and a federal ban on assault weapons.

“We need a statewide and a federal ban on high-capacity magazines. There is no reason that someone should be able to reel off 30 shots before they even have to reload.

“We’re not talking about your father’s hunting rifle gear. We’re talking about guns that are built to pierce armour and kill people.”

Meanwhile, Minneapolis police chief Brian O’Hara gave an update on the investigation, saying the suspect had fired 116 rifle rounds into the church.

“It is very clear that this shooter had the intention to terrorise those innocent children,” he added, before saying the killer “fantasised” about the plans of other mass shooting attackers and wanted to “obtain notoriety”.

Read more from Sky News:
Man ‘who impersonated Michael Jackson’ was ‘unfairly dismissed’
Concern as British couple detained in Iran ‘whisked’ to courtroom

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

Thomas Klemond, interim CEO of Minneapolis’s main trauma hospital Hennepin Healthcare, said at an earlier news conference that the hospital was treating nine patients injured in the shooting.

One child at the hospital was in a critical condition, he added.

Children’s Minnesota Hospital also said that three children remain in its care as of Thursday morning.

Continue Reading

Trending