Connect with us

Published

on

Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin says his party has made “a policy decision” not to enter coalition government with Sinn Fein after Ireland’s general election.

Current polling shows the three largest parties – Fine Gael, Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein – in a three-way tie.

In the third of our leader interviews ahead of Friday’s vote, Mr Martin told Sky News that Sinn Fein’s housing strategy would “crucify first-time buyers”.

Politics latest: ‘It’s more worrying for Starmer than he thinks,’ says man behind election petition

He said: “They want to get rid of the help-to-buy scheme and the first home bridge-the-gap scheme.

“If you put them together, they can give up to €80,000 to a first-time buyer.”

“Sinn Fein’s housing policies would mean delay, disruption and higher prices at the end of the day,” he added.

With nearly 15,000 people in emergency accommodation, compared to just over 10,000 in 2020, housing has dominated the campaign.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sinn Fein will demand referendum

Asked why the crisis had deepened while his party had been in coalition with Fine Gael over the last four years, he replied: “We need to do more.

“We acknowledge the serious challenges facing us, but we have the better policies.

“125,000 houses were built over the last four years, so Fianna Fail did take the portfolio, we did change momentum on housing,” he added.

Mr Martin, who was taoiseach for the first half of the outgoing coalition’s term, currently serves as tanaiste (deputy prime minister) and foreign affairs minister.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Irish PM speaks to Sky News

He said he understood the concerns people have about “the very significant increase in those seeking asylum in this country” and vowed to establish a new department of domestic affairs to address it.

Read more:
What to know about the Irish election – including polling and issues
Irish leader preparing for any ‘economic shock’ under Trump presidency

Reflecting on “a world in turmoil,” he also disagreed with Sinn Fein on the need to prioritise Irish unity.

He said: “My focus is on uniting people, Protestant, Catholic and dissenter, and that’s always been my creed.

“I put practical flesh on the bones of that when I became taoiseach, when I set up the Shared Island Initiative, the most consequential initiative since the Good Friday Agreement.

“We put €1bn behind that initiative to get a lot of projects done. To me, that’s the pragmatic flesh on the bone.

“Let’s build reconciliation. We’ve had enough of rhetoric and all these calls Sinn Fein go on about.

“We’ve had that for 75 years. It didn’t achieve a whole lot, but it’s about getting behind reconciliation. It’s about people.”

Watch Micheal Martin’s interview in full on Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge. Sky News has also interviewed the Fine Gael and Sinn Fein leaders.

Continue Reading

Politics

Labour suspends MP Dan Norris after arrest

Published

on

By

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

The Labour Party has suspended its MP Dan Norris after “being informed of his arrest”.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.

“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”

Mr Norris defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.

He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Continue Reading

Politics

Satoshi Nakamoto turns 50 as Bitcoin becomes US reserve asset

Published

on

By

Satoshi Nakamoto turns 50 as Bitcoin becomes US reserve asset

Satoshi Nakamoto turns 50 as Bitcoin becomes US reserve asset

Satoshi Nakamoto, the pseudonymous creator of Bitcoin, marks their 50th birthday amid a year of rising institutional and geopolitical adoption of the world’s first cryptocurrency.

The identity of Nakamoto remains one of the biggest mysteries in crypto, with speculation ranging from cryptographers like Adam Back and Nick Szabo to broader theories involving government intelligence agencies.

While Nakamoto’s identity remains anonymous, the Bitcoin (BTC) creator is believed to have turned 50 on April 5 based on details shared in the past.

According to archived data from his P2P Foundation profile, Nakamoto once claimed to be a 37-year-old man living in Japan and listed his birthdate as April 5, 1975.

Satoshi Nakamoto turns 50 as Bitcoin becomes US reserve asset

Source: Web.archive.org

Nakamoto’s anonymity has played a vital role in maintaining the decentralized nature of the Bitcoin network, which has no central authority or leadership.

The Bitcoin wallet associated with Nakamoto, which holds over 1 million BTC, has laid dormant for more than 16 years despite BTC rising from $0 to an all-time high above $109,000 in January.

Satoshi Nakamoto turns 50 as Bitcoin becomes US reserve asset

Satoshi Nakamoto statue in Lugano, Switzerland. Source: Cointelegraph

Nakamoto’s 50th birthday comes nearly a month after US President Donald Trump signed an executive order creating a Strategic Bitcoin Reserve and a Digital Asset Stockpile, marking the first major step toward integrating Bitcoin into the US financial system.

Related: Bitcoin at 16: From experiment to trillion-dollar asset

Nakamoto’s legacy: a “cornerstone of economic sovereignty”

At 50, Nakamoto’s legacy is no longer just code; it’s a cornerstone of economic sovereignty,” according to Anndy Lian, author and intergovernmental blockchain expert.

“Bitcoin’s reserve status signals trust in its scarcity and resilience,” Lian told Cointelegraph, adding: 

“What’s fascinating is the timing. Fifty feels symbolic — half a century of life, mirrored by Bitcoin’s journey from a white paper to a trillion-dollar asset. Nakamoto’s vision of trustless, peer-to-peer money has outgrown its cypherpunk roots, entering the halls of power.”

However, lingering questions about Nakamoto remain unanswered, including whether they still hold the keys to their wallet, which is “a fortune now tied to US policy,” Lian said.

Related: Bitcoin’s next catalyst: End of $36T US debt ceiling suspension

Is Satoshi Nakamoto wealthier than Bill Gates?

In February, Arkham Intelligence published findings that attribute 1.096 million BTC — then valued at more than $108 billion — to Nakamoto. That would place him above Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates on the global wealth rankings, according to data shared by Coinbase director Conor Grogan.

Satoshi Nakamoto turns 50 as Bitcoin becomes US reserve asset

Satoshi’s new addresses. Source: Conor Grogan

If accurate, this would make Nakamoto the world’s 16th richest person.

Despite the growing interest in Nakamoto’s identity and holdings, his early decision to remain anonymous and inactive has helped preserve Bitcoin’s decentralized ethos — a principle that continues to define the cryptocurrency to this day.

Magazine: 10 crypto theories that missed as badly as ‘Peter Todd is Satoshi’

Continue Reading

Politics

Wall Street’s one-day loss tops the entire crypto market cap

Published

on

By

Wall Street’s one-day loss tops the entire crypto market cap

Wall Street’s one-day loss tops the entire crypto market cap

The United States stock market lost more in value over the April 4 trading day than the entire cryptocurrency market is worth, as fears over US President Donald Trump’s tariffs continue to ramp up.

On April 4, the US stock market lost $3.25 trillion — around $570 billion more than the entire crypto market’s $2.68 trillion valuation at the time of publication.

Nasdaq 100 is now “in a bear market”

Among the Magnificent-7 stocks, Tesla (TSLA) led the losses on the day with a 10.42% drop, followed by Nvidia (NVDA) down 7.36% and Apple (AAPL) falling 7.29%, according to TradingView data.

The significant decline across the board signals that the Nasdaq 100 is now “in a bear market” after falling 6% across the trading day, trading resource account The Kobeissi Letter said in an April 4 X post. This is the largest daily decline since March 16, 2020.

“US stocks have now erased a massive -$11 TRILLION since February 19 with recession odds ABOVE 60%,” it added. The Kobessi Letter said Trump’s April 2 tariff announcement was “historic” and if the tariffs continue, a recession will be “impossible to avoid.”

Nasdaq, United States, Stocks

Source: Anthony Scaramucci

On April 2, Trump signed an executive order establishing reciprocal tariffs on trading partners and a 10% baseline tariff on all imports from all countries.

Trump said the reciprocal tariffs will be roughly half the rate US trading partners impose on American goods.

Related: Bitcoin bulls defend $80K support as ‘World War 3 of trade wars’ crushes US stocks

Meanwhile, the crypto industry has pointed out that while the stock market continues to decline, Bitcoin (BTC) remains stronger than most expected.

Crypto trader Plan Markus pointed out in an April 4 X post that while the entire stock market “is tanking,” Bitcoin is holding.

Nasdaq, United States, Stocks

Source: Jeff Dorman

Even some crypto skeptics have pointed out the contrast between Bitcoin’s performance and the US stock market during the recent period of macro uncertainty.

Stock market commentator Dividend Hero told his 203,200 X followers that he has “hated on Bitcoin in the past, but seeing it not tank while the stock market does is very interesting to me.”

Meanwhile, technical trader Urkel said Bitcoin “doesn’t appear to care one bit about tariff wars and markets tanking.” Bitcoin is trading at $83,749 at the time of publication, down 0.16% over the past seven days, according to CoinMarketCap data.

Magazine: XRP win leaves Ripple a ‘bad actor’ with no crypto legal precedent set

Continue Reading

Trending