Fighting between Israel and Hezbollah will end at 4am local time (2am GMT) on Wednesday, Mr Biden said.
It will bring an end to nearly 14 months of fighting which has seen more than 3,500 Lebanese killed and more than 15,000 injured.
Israeli strikes into Lebanon have forced 1.2 million people to leave their homes, while Hezbollah attacks have driven some 50,000 Israelis to evacuate the country’s north.
Hezbollah rockets fired into Israel have killed at least 75 people, more than half of them civilians, and more than 50 Israeli soldiers have died in the ground offensive in Lebanon.
The Iran-backed group began firing into northern Israel a day after Hamas militants rampaged across the border from Gaza into Israel in October last year, sparking the war in Gaza.
Image: Israeli jets have been striking targets across Lebanon. Pic: Reuters
What does the deal involve?
The agreement reportedly calls for an initial 60-day halt in fighting between Israel and Hezbollah.
Hezbollah forces would leave their positions in southern Lebanon and retreat north of the Litani River, which runs around 30km (20 miles) north of the border with Israel.
Israel will withdraw its forces from Lebanon over a period of 60 days, Mr Biden said, as the Lebanese army takes control of its territory near the border to ensure Hezbollah does not rebuild its infrastructure there.
The move would allow civilians on both sides to “safely return to their communities,” he added.
Lebanon’s foreign minister Abdallah Bou Habib said the Lebanese army was prepared to deploy at least 5,000 troops in southern Lebanon as Israeli soldiers withdraw.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
5:57
Biden says ceasefire reached
What if the agreement is broken?
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his country would respond forcefully to any ceasefire violation by Hezbollah, saying Israel would retain “complete military freedom of action”.
“If Hezbollah breaks the agreement and tries to rearm, we will attack,” he said. “For every violation, we will attack with might.”
Mr Biden also said Israel reserved the right to retaliate if Hezbollah breaks the terms of the ceasefire, adding: “What is left of Hezbollah and other terrorist organisations will not be allowed to threaten security again.”
Image: Smoke rises from Beirut’s southern suburbs after an Israeli airstrike. Pic: Reuters
Image: Rescuers search for victims at the site of an Israeli strike in Beirut. Pic: AP
Who will monitor the ceasefire?
The ceasefire agreement will be monitored by an international panel led by the US, along with thousands of Lebanese troops and UN peacekeepers deployed around Lebanon’s border with Israel.
Israel’s defence minister Israel Katz has insisted Israel’s military would strike Hezbollah if the UN peacekeeping force UNIFIL did not provide “effective enforcement” of the deal.
Image: A Lebanese army soldier stands near UN peacekeepers (UNIFIL) vehicles in Marjayoun, near the border with Israel. Pic: Reuters
The US will work with the Lebanese army to deter potential violations, but no US combat troops will be stationed in the area, a senior US official said.
In a joint statement, Mr Biden and French President Emmanuel Macron said France and the US would work together to ensure the terms of the deal were followed.
What happens next?
Although the ceasefire deal brings to an end over a year of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah triggered by the Hamas attack on Israel on 7 October last year, the devastating war in Gaza rages on.
Mr Biden said the US will make another push to achieve a ceasefire and hostage release deal between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.
Worldwide stock markets have plummeted for the second day running as the fallout from Donald Trump’s global tariffs continues.
While European and Asian markets suffered notable falls, American indexes were the worst hit, with Wall Street closing to a sea of red on Friday following Thursday’s rout – the worst day in US markets since the COVID-19 pandemic.
All three of the US’s major indexes were down by more than 5% at market close; The Dow Jones Industrial Average plummeted 5.5%, the S&P 500 was 5.97% lower, and the Nasdaq Composite slipped 5.82%.
The Nasdaq was also 22% below its record-high set in December, which indicates a bear market.
Ever since the US president announced the tariffs on Wednesday evening, analysts estimate that around $4.9trn (£3.8trn) has been wiped off the value of the global stock market.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
Mr Trump has remained unapologetic as the markets struggle, posting in all-caps on Truth Social before the markets closed that “only the weak will fail”.
The UK’s leading stock market, the FTSE 100, also suffered its worst daily drop in more than five years, closing 4.95% down, a level not seen since March 2020.
And the Japanese exchange Nikkei 225 dropped by 2.75% at end of trading, down 20% from its recent peak in July last year.
Image: US indexes had the worst day of trading since the COVID-19 pandemic. Pic: Reuters
Trump holds trade deal talks – reports
It comes as a source told CNN that Mr Trump has been in discussions with Vietnamese, Indianand Israelirepresentatives to negotiate bespoke trade deals that could alleviate proposed tariffs on those countries before a deadline next week.
The source told the US broadcaster the talks were being held in advance of the reciprocal levies going into effect next week.
Vietnam faced one of the highest reciprocal tariffs announced by the US president this week, with 46% rates on imports. Israeli imports face a 17% rate, and Indian goods will be subject to 26% tariffs.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
China – hit with 34% tariffs on imported goods – has also announced it will issue its own levy of the same rate on US imports.
Mr Trump said China “played it wrong” and “panicked – the one thing they cannot afford to do” in another all-caps Truth Social post earlier on Friday.
Later, on Air Force One, the US president told reporters that “the beauty” of the tariffs is that they allow for negotiations, referencing talks with Chinese company ByteDance on the sale of social media app TikTok.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
6:50
Tariffs: Xi hits back at Trump
He said: “We have a situation with TikTok where China will probably say, ‘We’ll approve a deal, but will you do something on the tariffs?’
“The tariffs give us great power to negotiate. They always have.”
Global financial markets gave a clear vote of no-confidence in President Trump’s economic policy.
The damage it will do is obvious: costs for companies will rise, hitting their earnings.
The consequences will ripple throughout the global economy, with economists now raising their expectations for a recession, not only in the US, but across the world.
The court ruled to uphold the impeachment saying the conservative leader “violated his duty as commander-in-chief by mobilising troops” when he declared martial law.
The president was also said to have taken actions “beyond the powers provided in the constitution”.
Image: Demonstrators stayed overnight near the constitutional court. Pic: AP
Supporters and opponents of the president gathered in their thousands in central Seoul as they awaited the ruling.
The 64-year-old shocked MPs, the public and international allies in early December when he declared martial law, meaning all existing laws regarding civilians were suspended in place of military law.
Image: The court was under heavy police security guard ahead of the announcement. Pic: AP
After suddenly declaring martial law, Mr Yoon sent hundreds of soldiers and police officers to the National Assembly.
He has argued that he sought to maintain order, but some senior military and police officers sent there have told hearings and investigators that Mr Yoon ordered them to drag out politicians to prevent an assembly vote on his decree.
His presidential powers were suspended when the opposition-dominated assembly voted to impeach him on 14 December, accusing him of rebellion.
The unanimous verdict to uphold parliament’s impeachment and remove Mr Yoon from office required the support of at least six of the court’s eight justices.
South Korea must hold a national election within two months to find a new leader.
Lee Jae-myung, leader of the main liberal opposition Democratic Party, is the early favourite to become the country’s next president, according to surveys.