Connect with us

Published

on

A retired police dog who was recovering from major surgery has rescued a vulnerable man.

Bear, a German Shepherd, was being walked by his owner and former police officer Julia Pope when he located the missing man in the Eastbourne area of East Sussex.

The dog, who turned 12 on the day of the discovery, immediately “went into work mode” after sensing the lost individual and “started indicating towards an area of dense undergrowth,” Ms Pope said.

“[He] then dragged us to it, where he located and alerted us to a vulnerable man.

“The man was confused, wet, cold and had fallen over, and was unable to get up unaided. I’m not sure he would have survived the night as it was extremely cold and almost dark at that point with no one else in the vicinity,” Ms Pope added.

“Unbeknownst to us, the man was a vulnerable missing person who officers had been searching for without any success.”

Undated handout photo issued by The Thin Blue Paw Foundation of retired police dog Bear who rescued a vulnerable man after locating him in woods. The German Shepherd, was on his first walk in the Eastbourne area since recovering from major surgery to remove two tumours, sensed the presence of the man who was actually a missing person being searched for by police. Issue date: Monday December 2, 2024.
Image:
Bear was on his first walk since having surgery. Pic: The Thin Blue Paw Foundation/PA

Ms Pope, who adopted Bear in 2020 after he retired, described the rescue as an “amazing stroke of luck”.

She said with Bear leading the way, they were able to assist the man back to an area where he could co-ordinate with police officers and be reunited with his family.

‘A true hero’

Since retiring from Sussex Police, Bear continues to work as a well-being and trauma support dog for police staff and is supported by the Thin Blue Paw Foundation, a charity that supports former police dogs.

Undated handout photo issued by The Thin Blue Paw Foundation of retired police dog Bear who rescued a vulnerable man after locating him in woods. The German Shepherd, was on his first walk in the Eastbourne area since recovering from major surgery to remove two tumours, sensed the presence of the man who was actually a missing person being searched for by police. Issue date: Monday December 2, 2024.
Image:
Pic: The Thin Blue Paw Foundation/PA

He was supported by the charity last summer after he lost the use of his rear legs and needed an emergency MRI and surgery to treat four herniated discs in his spine, thought to have been caused by his years of strenuous work.

Read more from Sky News:
Temperatures forecast as low as -10C
Officer charged with causing death by dangerous driving
Large sinkhole opens up in South Wales

Two weeks prior to locating the vulnerable man, he had further surgery to remove two benign tumours.

The walk was his first since the operation.

Thin Blue Paw trustee Kieran Stanbridge said: “RPD Bear is a true hero – his training and instinct kicked in and he managed to lead his owners, who are former police officers themselves, to this vulnerable man who needed urgent help.

“Thanks to Bear, the man received the help he needed from local officers; even in his retirement, he’s still saving lives.”

Continue Reading

UK

UK summons Russian ambassador after British Council building hit in Kyiv

Published

on

By

UK summons Russian ambassador after British Council building hit in Kyiv

The Russian ambassador to the UK has been summoned by the Foreign Office following attacks on Kyiv overnight.

It comes after the British Council building in the Ukrainian capital suffered major damage in Russian strikes.

Politics latest: Blair ‘needs’ to disclose what he told Trump about Gaza, Lib Dems say

Foreign Secretary David Lammy confirmed the government had summoned Andrey Kelin in response.

Mr Kelin was seen arriving at the Foreign Office building in Whitehall today.

Russian ambassador to the UK Andrey Kelin arrives at the Foreign Office building in Whitehall
Image:
Russian ambassador to the UK Andrey Kelin arrives at the Foreign Office building in Whitehall

Mr Lammy posted on X: “Putin’s strikes last night killed civilians, destroyed homes and damaged buildings, including the British Council and EU Delegation in Kyiv.

“We have summoned the Russian Ambassador. The killing and destruction must stop.”

The British Council’s chief executive, Scott McDonald, said their guard for the building was injured but “stable”.

“At the insistence of my amazing colleagues, we will continue operations in Ukraine today wherever possible,” he said.

“Their resilience is awe-inspiring, and I am deeply thankful they are all safe.”

Earlier, Sir Keir Starmer said: “My thoughts are with all those affected by the senseless Russian strikes on Kyiv, which have damaged the British Council building.

“Putin is killing children and civilians, and sabotaging hopes of peace. This bloodshed must end.”

The British Council is an arms-length body from the government, and says its mission is to “support peace and prosperity by building connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and countries worldwide”.

It facilitates schemes like working, living and learning abroad for British people.

Most of its funding comes from the fees it charges people for its services, but it does also get funding from the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO).

As well as the attack on the British Council building, Russia also targeted the EU delegation building in the Ukrainian capital overnight.

Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, told reporters two missiles hit within 50 metres of the site in 20 seconds.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Devastation in Kyiv after deadly Russian attack

And Kaja Kallas, the EU’s foreign policy chief, said the bloc was also summoning Russia’s ambassador following the strike.

“No diplomatic mission should ever be a target,” she said.

The attacks came as part of wider strikes on Kyiv, which destroyed homes and buildings and killed at least 15 people and injured 38, according to Ukrainian officials.

Russia has said it targeted military sites and air bases in its large overnight strike on Ukraine – and that it is still interested in negotiations to meet its aims.

“The special military operation continues,” he said, referring to Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, which it launched in February 2022.

“You see that strikes on Russian infrastructure facilities are also continuing, and often Russian civilian infrastructure is targeted by the Kyiv regime.”

He added: “At the same time, Russia will maintain its interest in continuing the negotiation process in order to achieve the goals we face through political and diplomatic means.”

Russia’s latest attack on Ukraine has been widely condemned, with Germany’s foreign minister Johann Wadephul saying there must be “consequences”.

“Last night we once again experienced in a terrible way how Russia attacked and bombed Kyiv, civilians died, children died, and the European Union delegation was also attacked,” he told reporters.

“And that cannot remain without consequences.”

Read more:
British journalists demand action from PM over war in Gaza
Sir Ed Davey to boycott Donald Trump state dinner

Mr Wadephul added that Germany wanted to show it was considering a further response and that any action would be taken jointly by the EU.

A Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office Spokesperson said: “The UK condemns in the strongest terms these outrageous attacks on Ukrainians and the damage done to the British Council and EU Delegation.

“Russia’s increasing attacks on Ukrainian civilians and cities, including Kyiv, are an escalation of the war and deeply irresponsible and are further sabotaging international peace efforts.

“We have made clear to the Russians that such actions will only harden UK and Western resolve to support Ukraine and bring an end to this unjustified war.

“Russia must stop this senseless killing and destruction immediately.”

Continue Reading

UK

Former Met Police volunteer guilty of raping and sexually assaulting a child

Published

on

By

Former Met Police volunteer guilty of raping and sexually assaulting a child

A former Metropolitan Police volunteer has been found guilty of raping and sexually assaulting a child.

James Bubb, who now identifies as a woman named Gwyn Samuels, assaulted the victim multiple times when she was between the ages of 12 and 18.

Jurors were told Bubb, who identified as male at the time of the offences, would be referred to by their biological sex when allegations were being discussed throughout the trial.

Bubb met the victim on a video chat site in 2018, when he was around 21 and she was 12 years old. They then met in person for the first time at a Christian festival a few months later, the court was told.

The trial heard Bubb sexually assaulted the girl in public shortly before her 13th birthday, and that he was violent towards the girl when he raped her in her early teens.

Pic: Thames Valley Police
Image:
Pic: Thames Valley Police

In relation to the complainant, Bubb was on Thursday found guilty of one count of raping a child under 13, one count of sexual activity with a child, one count of assault of a child under 13 by penetration, and one count of assault by penetration.

He was found not guilty of one count of rape and one count of sexual activity with a child in relation to that complainant, and found guilty of one count of rape against a second person.

The defendant made no expression as the verdicts were read out, but sobbed with their head in their hands after the foreman finished speaking.

Bubb, who is now 27, started training with the Met in 2020.

The first victim said the defendant spoke “a lot about the powers he had” in his role as a special constable.

Read more:
Man arrested after racist abuse sent to England star
British Tour de France winner in ‘serious’ crash

The second complainant was a woman Bubb met online while posing as a 16-year-old girl.

They met when the woman had just turned 18, and were in an on-off relationship between January 2018 and February 2023.

She said Bubb used “BDSM and kink as a way of creating control” over her, and that he would “use police training techniques” on her.

“The control, the power he got, it sure as hell wasn’t consensual,” she told police.

Bubb, of Chesham, Buckinghamshire, will be sentenced at a later date.

Continue Reading

UK

Prince Harry to return to UK on anniversary of Queen’s death for charity awards

Published

on

By

Prince Harry to return to UK on anniversary of Queen's death for charity awards

Prince Harry will return to the UK on the third anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s death next month for a charity awards ceremony.

The Duke of Sussex, 40, will support the WellChild children’s charity on September 8.

Prince Harry, who lives in California with his wife, Meghan Markle, 44, is a long-standing patron of the charity.

The 2025 awards mark three years to the day that Queen Elizabeth II, the duke’s grandmother, died at her home in Balmoral, Aberdeenshire.

‘Their stories remind us of the power of compassion’

Harry said in a statement: “I am always privileged to attend the WellChild Awards and meet the incredible children, families and professionals who inspire us all with their strength and spirit.

“For 20 years, these awards have highlighted the courage of young people living with complex health needs and shone a light on the devoted caregivers – family and professionals – who support them every step of the way.

“Their stories remind us of the power of compassion, connection and community.”

Prince Harry lives in California with wife Meghan Markle. Pic: Yui Mok/Pool via REUTERS
Image:
Prince Harry lives in California with wife Meghan Markle. Pic: Yui Mok/Pool via REUTERS

Harry is set to make a speech, present an award to an “inspirational child” aged between four and six and meet and talk with seriously ill children and their families.

He has held the role of the charity’s patron for 17 years and has attended the awards 14 times before.

The charity describes itself as the national children’s charity “making it possible for children and young people with complex medical needs to thrive at home instead of hospital, wherever possible”.

Harry was last seen in the UK in May after losing a long-running battle with the Home Office over changes to his security arrangements.

The visit is likely to fuel speculation that he will meet with his father, the King, and estranged brother, Prince William.

Continue Reading

Trending