Connect with us

Published

on

Pyrotechnics, fireworks, balloons – Reform UK’s conference was unlike any other. Back in September, Nigel Farage’s party used its annual gathering to underscore its message that it offers something different. 

Throughout Birmingham’s NEC, screens flashed up images of the party’s leader. When it was time for Mr Farage’s speech, delegates flocked to hear him speak. As he ascended the stage, a lengthy video montage of his life, set to music, played behind him.

Among the packed crowd of almost 4,000 members, there was the usual crop of grey-haired supporters but sprinkled among them were a surprising number of young, white men.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Meet the young Reform voters

Since Reform’s leader made a surprise return to frontline politics, he’s leant even harder into anti-establishment rhetoric. The political elite don’t want Nigel Farage to succeed, is his mantra.

The problem Reform UK faces is that it now has five MPs, giving it a presence on the green benches alongside the very establishment it rails against. It’s next job is to try to professionalise the party beyond the cult of Nigel and widen its supporter base.

Farage’s conference speech contained a serious message; it was time for Reform to “grow up” and think about its long-term plan. Looking around the room, it seemed the future of the party might already have arrived.

While most of its supporters are still older white men. According to YouGov’s post-election analysis, Reform was the third most popular party with men aged 50-64 – just one point shy of the Tories.

But there are signs of growing support among younger age groups, including young men aged 18-24, where Reform was the third most popular choice, alongside the Green Party.

For Gen-Z women, it was the least popular option, alongside the Tories. But it was among 16-17-year-olds that the gender gap was the widest.

Surprisingly, Farage’s party was as popular as Labour among young men in that age group, according to a poll by JL Partners in the week of the general election. The contrast with young women in that group is stark – Reform UK lagging far behind Labour and the Green Party.

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage speaking during the party's annual conference at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham. Picture date: Friday September 20, 2024.
Read less

Picture by: Joe Giddens/PA Wire/PA Images
Image:
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage speaking during the party’s annual conference. Pic: PA

So, in a party where the median age of an MP is 60, how is it hooking in younger voters?

The popularity of Gen-Z skewing social platforms like TikTok is part of the answer. Reform was quick to engage with a younger audience there – racking up 308,100 followers. That is more than any other major political party, just ahead of Labour on 233,100.

Farage’s personal TikTok now has over a million followers, a fact he announced last week during a press conference in which he said the party’s membership had reached 100,000.

He also gave a breakdown of how old his social media followers seem to be. “We get tens of millions of views every single month. Two thirds of that million are under the age of 35. Half of them are under the age of 25. Something remarkable is happening with Gen-Z,” he said.

And it’s not just TikTok. Reform UK had far and away the highest number of social media page interactions across all platforms during the election, according to analysis by Crowdtangle.

Among its young followers are right-wing political influencers, like Nicholas Lissack.

Image:
Nicholas Lissack is a right-wing influencer

A smartly dressed student with strong right-wing views, Nick was surprised when his first TikTok video supporting Reform went viral in the run-up to the 2024 general election. In the video, which was watched almost 4 million times in 24 hours, he urged other first-time voters to follow his example and support Reform UK.

A week later, Nick found himself backstage at a pre-election Reform UK rally, meeting his “political hero” – Mr Farage. In another video, he calls their conversation “beautiful” and says they discussed the “ludicrous” price of pints and golf, alongside politics.

He describes his videos as “short, snappy and energetic… I come across like I’m having a fun time”. They’re snappily titled too – a glance over his TikTok page offers two-minute videos with titles like Labour Hates Us, Is Reform UK Fascist? and Ban Notting Hill Carnival. That energy has also translated across X/Twitter, where he now has tens of thousands of followers.

But he admits, not all his peers share his views.

“I lost quite a few friends over this but in that time, I gained 40,000 Twitter followers.”

Since we spoke, he’s gained a further 10,000.

Nick
Image:
Nick went viral, and then found himself meeting his Reform ‘hero’

So what about women?

Reform UK was proud of the fact it was able to stand a candidate in nearly every seat.

But, according to the campaign group 50:50 parliament, less than a fifth of its candidates were women. Five white men were chosen for seats the party deemed winnable, leading to Nigel Farage, Richard Tice, Rupert Lowe and James McMurdock being elected to parliament.

Controversially, this year, Nigel Farage told Sky News that the self-proclaimed misogynist influencer Andrew Tate was “an important voice for men”.

Tate is currently banned from YouTube for breaching hate speech rules. He is also banned from Facebook and was described by Meta as a “dangerous individual”. He was also accused of rape, people trafficking and organised crime – though he denies these allegations.

For Nick, being frank about his political opinions has helped his videos reach a wide audience. He attributes his success to men feeling “increasingly disenfranchised” in the wake of “fourth-wave feminism”.

“Reform offers an exciting alternative because it doesn’t discriminate… Young men are drawn to it because they see it as an opportunity to dig their teeth into politics,” he said.

Image:
George Finch has started The New Reformer, an online magazine

Another new voice in the right-wing political space is George Finch. He enjoyed similar success to Nick over the summer, making videos in support of Mr Farage’s party. Since then, he’s started The New Reformer, an online magazine which he describes as “By Reformers, for Reformers”. Articles have provocative titles like “Project 2029 – dismantling the woke state” and “Since When Is It Divisive to Be British?”.

He thinks the party doesn’t have a problem attracting voters who are women.

“To say that women are put off by Reform is wrong. If it’s something you think is a problem I’m sure HQ are looking at it”.

Image:
George says he doesn’t think the party has a problem attracting women

Will it work?

“There was something about TikTok that worked for Reform,” says Dr Jilly Kay, a senior lecturer in Communication and Media at Loughborough University. “Nigel Farage’s performance and his way of connecting with people worked effectively. We see that in the increased support among young male voters.”

But she also thinks Reform can tap into something more fundamental and give clarity to voters who feel adrift after a period of unstable politics.

“As a young man you’re told you can’t do this, you can’t do that. Farage is trying to give that sense of permission,” Dr Kay explains. “[Reform UK] has that sense of freedom and power which people like Farage claim is being denied to men and boys.”

Read more:
Calls for tougher measures on mobile phones for teens
Louise Haigh’s photo of stolen phone ‘taken after alleged theft’

But other experts warn that this surge in youthful support could be being overstated.

“Reform undoubtedly has distinct appeal among some sections of young voters: specifically, young men from poorer backgrounds, and who are unlikely to attend university,” says Dr Stuart Fox, a senior lecturer in politics at the University of Exeter.

But according to Dr Fox, Reform UK is far less popular among young voters overall than parties such as the Greens, Liberal Democrats and Labour. He also points out the challenges of engaging the specific youthful demographic most likely to support them.

“Those young people to whom Reform most appeal – young men from poorer backgrounds – are by far the least likely to vote. It will be a real challenge for Reform to capitalise on its appeal to those voters in elections.”

The first signs of whether it can in fact capitalise on this so-called “bro vote” will be at next year’s local elections. It will be a key test for the party and, if it succeeds, its ambitions are high.

Reform UK wants to secure its future and not only challenge the Tories’ status as the leading right-wing group in UK politics but eventually become the governing party in Britain.

👉Listen to Politics At Jack And Sam’s on your podcast app👈

In response Reform UK said: “Reform UK has all the momentum in British politics. This is shown by the surge in support by younger voters.

“We have now surpassed 100,000 members and our polling continues to rise. Young people recognise that the Tories and Labour have failed them and that Britain needs Reform.

“We will harness this momentum as we head into next May and future elections and offer young people real change.”

Continue Reading

UK

Boy saved from burning car after M6 crash caused by suicidal ex-RAF pilot, inquest hears

Published

on

By

Boy saved from burning car after M6 crash caused by suicidal ex-RAF pilot, inquest hears

A workman saved a seven-year-old boy from a burning car in the aftermath of a deadly crash caused by a suicidal ex-pilot, an inquest has heard.

The schoolboy’s rescue came following the collision on the M6, which killed former RAF man Richard Woods and four others, in October last year.

Last week a coroner ruled that Woods, 40, took his own life by deliberately driving his Skoda the wrong way down the motorway while drunk and hitting a Toyota Yaris head-on.

The driver of the Toyota, Jaroslaw Rossa, 42, was also killed, along with his two sons, Filip, 15, and Dominic, seven, and his partner Jade McEnroe, 33.

Cockermouth Coroner’s Court heard on Thursday that Ms McEnroe’s son was also in the car but survived after workman Gavin Walsh came to his rescue at the scene, which was near Tebay services in Cumbria.

In a statement to the inquest, Mr Walsh said he was a passenger in a transit van travelling to Scotland when he witnessed the crash.

He jumped out of the vehicle and used a jack to smash the rear windscreen of the Toyota and pulled the boy out of the burning vehicle.

Mr Walsh said: “We really did try, I can assure everyone we did our best. We only had minimal time.

“I saved a life that day and I hope never to witness anything like that again.”

He added that he has never stopped thinking about the boy, and said: “I hope we will meet again one day and I will give you a massive hug.”

At the time, the family were returning to Glasgow from a trip to Legoland in Windsor, Berkshire.

The inquest heard that Wood, who was travelling at a speed of at least 65mph, would have been charged with manslaughter had he survived.

Recording conclusions of unlawful killing, Cumbria assistant coroner Margaret Taylor said: “I found that Jaroslaw, Jade, Filip and Dominic died as a consequence of the unlawful acts of another driver.”

The inquest heard how Mr Woods, from Cambridgeshire, had served a distinguished 14-year career in the RAF and was a flight instructor for BAE Systems at the time of his death.

Jade McEnroe and son Arran. Pic: Cumbria Constabulary
Image:
Jade McEnroe. Pic: Cumbria Constabulary

Dominic and Filip Rossa. Pic: Cumbria Constabulary
Image:
Dominic and Filip. Pic: Cumbria Constabulary

In Ms Taylor’s record of inquest, Mr Woods was said to have been experiencing “a number of stressors in his life” and had a “history of harmful use of alcohol”.

Following the crash, he was found to be nearly four times over the legal drink-drive limit and a two-thirds empty bottle of gin was found in his car.

On the day of his death, concerns had been raised over his behaviour at a work conference near Preston in Lancashire.

Mr Woods failed to return to his seat after lunch and was later spotted driving erratically and swerving across three northbound carriageway lanes on the M6.

After pulling onto the hard shoulder, he then proceeded to U-turn and drove southward on lane three.

Filip, Dominic and Jaroslaw Rossa. Pic: Cumbria Constabulary
Image:
Filip, Dominic and Jaroslaw Rossa. Pic: Cumbria Constabulary

Detective Sergeant Deborah Story, from Cumbria Police, told the inquest that Mr Woods would have been prosecuted on four counts of manslaughter had he lived.

She said hypothetical charges of murder were considered by detectives but not thought appropriate because of a lack of information that Mr Woods knew the family or anything that provided a link between them.

Ms McEnroe’s parents, Marie McEnroe and George McNellis, told the coroner they thought it was “murder”.

Read more from Sky News:
Luton Airport expansion approved
Prince Harry responds to charity row
Appeal launched to help earthquake victims

A statement from the mother of Filip and Dominic, and the ex-wife of Mr Rossa, Kamila, was read out at the inquest.

She said Mr Rossa, known as Jarek, was born in Poland where they became a couple and went on to have three boys.

He loved playing computer games and had “lots of friends”, she said, and worked at the Wagamama restaurant in Silverburn, Glasgow.

She said she was “devastated” over the deaths, adding: “Our lives will never be the same.

“I am heartbroken at the passing of my beloved angels Filip and Dominic.”

Marie McEnroe said her daughter, a spa therapist, had been in a relationship with Mr Rossa for about two-and-a-half years.

She said Jade had been a “brilliant mother” to her only child, was “really happy” with Mr Rossa and it was “lovely chaos” when all the boys were playing together.

Ms McEnroe added: “Life changed forever that day”.

Ms Taylor praised the “selfless acts of bravery” from those in the aftermath of the collision, including Mr Walsh, who she said went towards the burning car “without hesitation for his own safety”.

The coroner added: “Without his swift response, Jade’s child would also have perished.”

Addressing the bereaved family members, she said: “Your loss is unimaginable but you have conducted yourself with dignity and I thank you for that. I wish you strength for the future.”

Anyone feeling emotionally distressed or suicidal can call Samaritans for help on 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org in the UK. In the US, call the Samaritans branch in your area or 1 (800) 273-TALK.

Continue Reading

UK

Thomas Kettleborough: ‘Vile’ former police inspector caught in child sex sting

Published

on

By

Thomas Kettleborough: 'Vile' former police inspector caught in child sex sting

A ‘vile’ former police officer who was caught in a sting operation after travelling to meet what he thought was a 14-year-old boy has been jailed.

Thomas Kettleborough, 35, then an inspector with Avon and Somerset Police, was arrested in July 2023 while attempting to meet up with ‘the teenager’ after communicating with him on Grindr and Snapchat.

However, he was actually speaking to undercover officers.

After being detained at a car park in Bristol, officers found a bag in the boot of his car containing “an assortment of sex toys, condoms and bondage equipment, including a pair of limb restraints,” Exeter Crown Court heard.

More than 150 indecent images of children were also discovered on his phone and computer.

Kettleborough used the apps to have sexually explicit chats with the teenager, using the name Liam, while claiming to be 28, prosecutors said.

In February, he pleaded guilty to several child sex offences, including attempting to engage in sexual communication with a child and attempting to cause or incite a child to engage in sexual activity.

Last month he was sacked by Avon and Somerset Police and barred from policing for gross misconduct.

He was sentenced to two years and eight months in prison on Thursday.

Assistant Chief Constable Joanne Hall, from Avon and Somerset Police, said the public would be “appalled by the vile and manipulative actions of this former officer”.

She added: “He was caught following a policing operation designed to keep children safe which has resulted in his wider offending being identified.”

Detective Inspector Dave Wells, who led the investigation, said Kettleborough’s crimes took place over four years,

The former officer held positions of trust in the police, the Sea Cadets and the Royal Lifesaving Society, but “concealed his true identity through an online persona as ‘Liam’, ‘L S’ and ‘Liamss5506’,” Mr Wells said.

Mr Wells added: “Specialist investigators are ready to listen and investigate any reports relating to Thomas Kettleborough or any other matters of concern. I want people to know that they will be believed.

“Thomas Kettleborough is now behind bars. I hope if there are others that have been affected by this case, they now feel empowered to tell someone, if they are ready to do so.”

Read more from Sky News:
Luton Airport expansion approved
Prince Harry responds to charity row
Appeal launched to help earthquake victims

Lee Bremridge, defending, said Kettleborough had shown genuine remorse for his crimes.

He added that the former officer had “done everything that he can attempt to do to try and understand why it is he committed the offences that he did.”

Kettleborough was also handed an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order and will be on the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.

Continue Reading

UK

Girl, 13, dies in house fire

Published

on

By

Girl, 13, dies in house fire

A 13-year-old girl has died after a house fire in Merseyside.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) said it was called to the scene in Prescot, in the borough of Knowsley, at 11.42pm on Wednesday.

Crews arrived to find a blaze in the rear bedroom of a mid-terraced house.

In a statement, police said: “A man, woman and five children were able to escape from the property unharmed.

“Sadly, a 13-year-old girl was pronounced dead at the scene. Her family are aware and are being supported by specially trained officers.”

Police said four firefighters entered the property with breathing apparatus to tackle the fire, which was on the first floor, and search for people.

The blaze was extinguished at 12.29am on Thursday.

A joint investigation involving MFRS’s Incident Investigation Team and Merseyside Police has been launched.

Detective Inspector Steven O’Neill said: “Our thoughts are with the family of the young girl at this very sad time…

“A joint investigation into the cause of the fire is ongoing and the girl’s family is being supported by specially trained officers.”

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Continue Reading

Trending