Connect with us

Published

on

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol has lifted martial law, which he implemented hours earlier in a move that shocked MPs, the public and international allies.

In a national address, the president said: “I have accepted the decision made by the National Assembly to dissolve and lift the martial law.”

MPs, including members of his own ruling party, voted to block the declaration as protesters clashed with soldiers and police after the martial law ruling.

But what is martial law, and why did the president introduce it?

What is martial law?

It enacts temporary rule by the military and is usually invoked in times of war, rebellion or natural disaster.

When martial law is in effect, the military commander has unlimited authority to make and enforce laws.

Members of the military make their way through the crowd in front of the National Assembly, after South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol declared martial law.
Pic: Reuters
Image:
Scenes outside parliament today. Pic: Reuters

It suspends all existing laws – meaning there can be a suspension of normal civil rights and the use of military law on the civilian population.

The step is taken when the civilian authorities are deemed unable to function.

The surprise move was the first declaration of martial law since the country’s democratisation in 1987.

Martial law is typically temporary, but it can continue indefinitely. It is most often declared in times of war or emergencies such as civil unrest and natural disasters.

Recent examples of martial law being enforced include in Ukraine following Russia’s full-scale invasion.

Why did the president introduce it?

In his announcement on Tuesday night, Yoon Suk Yeol said it was critical for defending the country’s constitutional order.

“I declare martial law to protect the free Republic of Korea from the threat of North Korean communist forces, to eradicate the despicable pro-North Korean anti-state forces that are plundering the freedom and happiness of our people, and to protect the free constitutional order,” Mr Yoon said.

The move came after two years of Mr Yoon struggling to push his agendas through in an opposition-controlled parliament.

The president of South Korea has accused the country's opposition of controlling the parliament and sympathising with North Korea.
Image:
The president of South Korea delivering his statement. Pic: AP

His conservative People Power Party has been in a deadlock with the liberal Democratic Party over next year’s budget bill.

Ministers protested against the move on Monday by the Democratic Party to slash more than four trillion won (approximately £2.1bn) from the government’s budget proposal.

South Korea martial law: Follow live updates

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Shock and horror’ over Seoul move

Mr Yoon said that action undermines the essential functioning of government administration.

The president has also dismissed calls for independent investigations into scandals involving his wife and top officials, drawing criticism from his political rivals.

Security and defence analyst Professor Michael Clarke told Sky News he believed the introduction of martial law was Mr Yoon’s attempt to thwart his political opponents.

South Korea's main opposition Democratic Party's staff set up a barricade to block soldiers at the National Assembly after South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol declared martial law in Seoul, South Korea.
Pic: Reuters
Image:
South Korea’s main opposition Democratic Party’s staff set up a barricade to block soldiers. Pic: Reuters

“Yoon has been leading a minority government for some time, against him the Democratic Party have just frustrated whatever he has tried to do,” Clarke said.

“He has decided to get ahead of his opposition by creating this move.

“The last thing that liberal democracy needs at the moment is one of the democracies of Asia turning into a short-term dictatorship.”

What was the reaction?

Before the president lifted martial law, opposition leader Lee Jae-myung said the declaration of martial law was “unconstitutional” and called for the public to protest outside parliament.

The parliament, which is controlled by the opposition party, voted to block the president’s decision, which he reversed just a few hours later.

According to the law in South Korea, the government must lift martial law if the majority of the National Assembly demands it in a vote.

Live TV footage from earlier today showed South Korean parliament aides pushing back martial law forces, spraying fire extinguishers while the public and police clashed.

Continue Reading

World

US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials from United Nations’ annual meeting in New York

Published

on

By

US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials from United Nations' annual meeting in New York

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials have been blocked from attending September’s annual meeting of the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

US secretary of state Marco Rubio has revoked the US visas of delegates from the Palestinian Authority (PA) and Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), and denied others from applying for one.

It is the latest step by Donald Trump’s administration to target Palestinians with visa restrictions, and follows the suspension of a programme to allow injured children from Gaza to receive treatment in the US.

Mahmoud Abbas addressed the general assembly in 2024, but is barred from next month's meeting. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Mahmoud Abbas addressed the general assembly in 2024, but is barred from next month’s meeting. Pic: Reuters

“It is in our national security interests to hold the PLO and PA accountable for not complying with their commitments, and for undermining the prospects for peace,” a statement from the US State Department said.

It added that, to be considered partners for peace, both groups “must consistently repudiate terrorism, and end incitement to terrorism in education, as required by US law and as promised by the PLO”.

Offensive will cause ‘intolerable deaths’

Several US allies, including France, Malta, and Australia have announced plans to recognise Palestine as a state at September’s United Nations General Assembly. Canada and the UK will too, unless Israel meets certain conditions.

More on Mahmoud Abbas

Israel declared Gaza’s largest city a dangerous combat zone on Friday.

The army launched a planned offensive that has drawn international condemnation.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Thick smoke rises from Gaza City after Israeli strikes

Foreign ministers from Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Slovenia and Spain released a joint statement saying the military operations in Gaza City will cause “intolerable deaths of innocent Palestinian civilians”.

Gaza latest: Israel’s Gaza City offensive condemned

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians are sheltering in Gaza City while enduring famine.

An Israeli armoured vehicle in northern Gaza on Friday. Pic: AP
Image:
An Israeli armoured vehicle in northern Gaza on Friday. Pic: AP

Palestinians ride a truck carrying humanitarian aid in Gaza City. Pic: AP
Image:
Palestinians ride a truck carrying humanitarian aid in Gaza City. Pic: AP

The Palestinian ambassador to the United Nations (UN), Riyad Mansour, said Mr Abbas had planned to lead the delegation to the UN meetings and was expected to address the general assembly at the general debate, which begins on 23 September.

He was also expected to attend a high-level meeting co-chaired by France and Saudi Arabia on 22 September about a two-state solution, a broad idea involving Israel coexisting with an independent Palestinian state.

The State of Palestine is an observer member of the UN, meaning it can speak at meetings but not vote on resolutions.

The State of Palestine cannot vote on UN resolutions. Pic: AP
Image:
The State of Palestine cannot vote on UN resolutions. Pic: AP

US decision ‘contravenes international law’

The Palestinian Authority “expressed its deep regret and astonishment” at the visa decision, calling it “a violation of US commitments” as the host of the UN, and claiming it “contravenes international law”.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said the world body would be seeking clarification in the “hope that this will be resolved”.

Hundreds of diplomats left when Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu began speaking at the general assembly in 2024. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Hundreds of diplomats left when Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu began speaking at the general assembly in 2024. Pic: Reuters

The State Department said that the Palestinian Authority’s mission to the UN, comprising officials who are permanently based there, would not be included in the restrictions.

Under a 1947 UN agreement, the US is generally required to allow access for foreign diplomats to the UN in New York.

But Washington has said it can deny visas for security, extremism and foreign policy reasons.

Read more from Sky News:
Analysis: Israel is killing a lot of journalists
Hospitals ‘overwhelmed’ by malnutrition cases
Tony Blair meets Trump over Gaza

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

The death toll in Gaza has now risen to 63,025, according to the Hamas-run health ministry, which does not differentiate between civilians and combatants.

It also reported five more malnutrition-related deaths in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number during the war to 322, with 121 of them children.

Continue Reading

World

Brazil implores businesses to attend major climate summit, despite ‘second thoughts’ amid Trump backlash

Published

on

By

Brazil implores businesses to attend major climate summit, despite 'second thoughts' amid Trump backlash

The Brazilian hosts of the biggest climate meeting of the year have implored businesses to attend in November, amid concerns some are backing away from the climate agenda into the shadow of Donald Trump.

In an interview with Sky News, Ana Toni, chief executive of the COP30 climate summit in November, admitted some companies were having “second thoughts” about the global switch to green economies because policymakers were creating uncertainty.

The US President Donald Trump has been attacking wind farms and waging tariff wars that could slow the transition to green energy.

Banks including HSBC and Barclays have ditched a net zero alliance set up just four years ago by Mark Carney, now the Canadian Prime Minister.

Ana Toni, Brazil's climate secretary, is chief executive of the COP30 climate talks. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Ana Toni, Brazil’s climate secretary, is chief executive of the COP30 climate talks. Pic: Reuters

But even before Trump took office, tech companies were quietly dropping climate targets to prioritise energy-hungry AI, and other businesses were “greenhushing” their climate initiatives for fear of backlash.

In this environment, there are fears fewer business leaders will attend the annual talks, which are also being hosted in a city on the edge of the Amazon that hasn’t enough hotel rooms.

On Friday, the COP30 team wrote to business leaders urging them to “step forward, not back” and travel to Belem, despite “logistical challenges” and the “background of systemic uncertainty”.

More on Cop30

Ana Toni told Sky News: “We are very concerned that the enabling conditions must be there so that the private sector can also deliver where they do best, which is bringing in technology, bringing innovation and accelerating the process of decarbonisation.”

In August the share price of Danish wind farm developer plummeted after the US halted its Rhode Island wind farm, while the British Tories and Reform parties are also attacking net zero.

Ana Toni met with King Charles and leaders of other COP summits at Clarence House last year. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Ana Toni met with King Charles and leaders of other COP summits at Clarence House last year. Pic: Reuters

But Ms Toni there is “nothing to panic [about], because we can see that the transition is inevitable,” citing major progress in China, India and Europe and Brazil.

Referring to the US’s withdrawal from the COP process, she said: “198 countries minus one is not zero. And we will put all our efforts of working with the 197 countries that want to go forward and want to protect their population.”

“Climate action is not only [still] cool, it is necessary,” Ms Toni said.

“We all need to face reality. We are going through a huge climate crisis… If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem. Companies understand that.”

Continue Reading

World

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

Published

on

By

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

US President Donald Trump has revoked Secret Service protection for former vice president and 2024 Democratic rival Kamala Harris.

A senior adviser to Ms Harris, Kirsten Allen, confirmed the decision. “The vice president is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” said the adviser.

Typically, vice presidents receive a six-month security detail from the Secret Service after they leave office, although it had been extended to 18 months for Ms Harris, according to officials.

Initially, then-president Joe Biden extended her security arrangements to one year, or January 2026, according to reports.

However, a Secret Service official told Sky News’ US partner, NBC, that Mr Biden subsequently signed an executive memorandum in January increasing the then vice-president’s protection period even further, to 18 months.

Former US presidents receive Secret Service protection for life.

Read more from Sky News:
Ed Davey has written to King to explain Trump dinner boycott
Thai prime minister sacked for ethics violation

Revoking Harris’ federal protection will be deemed ‘malicious’ by Trump’s critics

We don’t know why the former vice president’s Secret Service protection has been revoked – the White House gave no explanation.

We do know why former president Joe Biden extended it from the usual six months to 18 months before he left office.

Such decisions tend to be based on advice from the Department of Homeland Security, determined by the perceived threat level.

Kamala Harris isn’t just a former vice president of the United States. She was the first woman and first African American to hold that office.

In addition to that, she was the Democratic candidate in last year’s election – the battle against Donald Trump raising her profile even higher.

By early 2025, she had plans for a book tour. Her memoir, 107 Days, marking the short period of her candidature, is due out next month.

Extending federal protection would have bolstered Ms Harris’ safety during extensive public appearances.

In short, the extension reflected heightened security needs – her symbolic status and increased visibility from upcoming public engagements.

But the White House has pulled her Secret Service security detail, a move that will be deemed malicious by the president’s critics.

Ms Harris, who lost the 2024 presidential election to Mr Trump, is due to start a book tour for her memoir, 107 Days, shortly.

She was the Democratic nominee for 107 days after Mr Biden exited the race in the weeks following a challenging debate against Mr Trump.

Mr Trump has also ended federal security protection for others, including former national security adviser John Bolton. Last week, FBI agents raided Mr Bolton’s Maryland home.

In March, the president ended protection for Mr Biden’s children, Hunter and Ashley Biden.

Ms Harris has not ruled out a possible presidential run in 2028. She announced in July that she would not run for governor of California in 2026.

Continue Reading

Trending