MasterChef presenter John Torode has said he has found the recent reports about co-host Gregg Wallace “truly upsetting”.
The pair have presented the BBC One cooking show together for almost 20 years, since 2005.
In his first comments since the allegations surfaced, Torode said he would continue to be part of the programme, adding: “The thought of anyone who has appeared on our show not having a brilliant experience is awful to hear, and I have found the recent press reports truly upsetting.”
Wallace is facing allegations of inappropriate behaviour from more than a dozen people across a range of shows over a 17-year period. His lawyers have previously strongly denied “he engages in behaviour of a sexually harassing nature”, according to BBC News.
In a statement posted on Instagram, Torode said he had been away filming MasterChef overseas since last Friday.
“I love my job, and I love MasterChef,” he said. “I love being part of it and will continue to be part of it.
“During the last few days, I’ve been trying to make the best cookery programme, so being busy making the show and caring for our contestants has allowed me little time to think about anything else, but that has been hard.”
Image: MasterChef Christmas specials have been pulled from the schedule. Pic: Yui Mok/PA
Torode said he “fully” supports the current investigation into Wallace’s alleged behaviour, but could not comment further while it is ongoing.
“I hope that you all understand and respect my silence on the matter moving forward,” he added.
Torode rose to TV fame in the mid-1990s as the resident chef on ITV’s This Morning and joined the revamped version of MasterChef when it launched in 2005. The show, initially called MasterChef Goes Large, followed the original series, which was hosted by Lloyd Grossman from 1990 to 2001.
A spokesperson for the broadcaster said it took the decision as the series can be “life-changing” for the chefs taking part, but the “Christmas specials are obviously a different type of show”.
For two decades he’s stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Gregg Wallace but now, with one Instagram post, John Torode is attempting to massively distance himself from the man he’s stood so closely beside.
Literal distance, he says, is the reason he didn’t comment sooner. Keen to stress he’s been away filming overseas. At the same time acknowledging he’s struggled to think of little else.
In comparison to Wallace’s Sunday morning wildly misogynistic ramblings (for which he’s since apologised) it is the polar opposite of responses.
Theirs was always an unusual bond. Torode had, in interviews, often been keen to stress that the pair didn’t associate socially. Published quotes which Torode can, in the future, now helpfully point to when it comes to keeping the public on side.
Wallace has – via his lawyers – denied any behaviour of a sexually harassing nature. And he won’t have read his former co-presenter’s post on Instagram itself having reportedly already unfollowed him over the weekend.
With lawyers hired by Masterchef’s makers, Banijay, carrying out their independent investigation into allegations of misconduct by Wallace, it’s correct that he can’t say much more.
But it is a post that will please the BBC – with Torode respectfully expressing his upset at the claims whilst defending the beloved primetime show, suggesting he isn’t going anywhere and indicating his hopes that the show will go on with or without Wallace beside him.
Sky News can confirm the broadcaster was alerted to Wallace’s “unacceptable” behaviour while filming the series more than a year and a half ago, with a memo shared with staff at the Nestle factory in Yorkshowing concerns were raised after his final visit in February 2023.
More allegations have surfaced against the presenter this week – with two women claiming he had inappropriately touched them.
One told the BBChe “groped” her bottom, while another alleged he laughed after touching her bottom “with his waist and penis” when brushing past her. A third claimed Wallace’s penis was partially exposed in his dressing room in what she felt was a “power play”.
The Guardian also reporteda complaint that he once asked a sign language interpreter to translate “big boobs” and “sexy bum” in front of the audience at the BBC Good Food Show.
Earlier, one former contestant told Sky News that a remark Wallace made when she returned as a guest judge left her crying in the toilets.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:32
‘If it’s just banter then why am I crying in the toilet?’
Another described the allegations as the “tip of the iceberg” when it comes to the show – claiming he witnessed a “toxic environment” on set and the problem was “larger” than just the presenter.
Sky News has contacted representatives for Wallace for comment on the allegations against him.
At the weekend, he shared a video dismissing the initial claims, putting them down to “middle-class women of a certain age”.
He later posted another clip apologising for the remarks.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:36
Wallace apologises for video: ‘I wasn’t in a good head space’
What have the BBC and producers said?
A spokesperson for Banijay UK, which has appointed a law firm to lead its investigation, has said the company takes complaints “incredibly seriously” but will not comment on individual allegations while the external investigation is ongoing.
“It is important to note that MasterChef welfare processes are regularly adapted and strengthened and there are clear protocols to support both crew and contributors,” the spokesperson said.
“These include multiple ways of reporting issues, including anonymously.”
In response to reports multiple complaints had been raised with the BBC, a source for the corporation said it would not comment on individuals or any internal HR processes, but that it would be “wrong to report the BBC has done nothing if or when matters have been raised with us – not least because it is already being widely reported there were interventions in both 2017 and 2018 where action was taken”.
Last week, a BBC spokesperson said any issues raised are taken seriously and there are “robust processes in place” to deal with them.
“We are always clear that any behaviour which falls below the standards expected by the BBC will not be tolerated,” they said.
Jessie J has been forced to rearrange or cancel all upcoming tour dates as she will be having a second operation as part of her treatment for breast cancer.
The 37-year-old announced in June that she had been diagnosed with early breast cancer. She had her first operation later in the same month.
The singer, whose real name is Jessica Cornish, was due to tour the UK and Europe in October, before gigs in the US in November.
In a video posted on Instagram, she’s now told fans: “Unfortunately, I have to have a second surgery, nothing too serious, but it has to be done before the end of the year and unfortunately, that falls right in the middle of a tour that I had booked.”
Instagram
This content is provided by Instagram, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Instagram cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Instagram cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Instagram cookies for this session only.
Jessie J has battled numerous health issues, including being diagnosed with a heart condition when she was eight years old and suffering a minor stroke aged 18.
The singer-songwriter has had three number one songs in the UK singles chart, with Price Tag and Domino – both released in 2011 – and 2014’s Bang Bang, a collaboration with Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj.
She won the Critics’ Choice prize at the 2011 BRITs and bagged four Mobo awards in the same year.
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch says he’s shocked at how “fragile” he still is – despite years in the spotlight and success in the industry.
It might seem like the Doctor Strange star and The Crown actress Olivia Colman have it all when it comes to money and success – but they are also human like the rest of us.
The pair lead the cast of new satirical black comedy The Roses, which sees picture-perfect couple Ivy and Theo Rose – a rising star chef and ambitious architect – raise their two children in California, while chasing their own dreams.
‘I am shocked at how fragile I am’
But behind its dark humour and comic language, the film also looks at the realities of power imbalance, insecurity and wounded pride – in even the strongest of relationships.
And 49-year-old Cumberbatch– whose character faces a major setback in his career – tells Sky News that in real life the glare of social media only intensifies those type of situations.
“I am shocked at how fragile I am still.
More on Benedict Cumberbatch
Related Topics:
“I don’t go anywhere near it [social media] because of that.
“It’s like walking into a place where people want to marry you or kill you. Those extremes.
“I think we will get to a stage, a corporate culture that’s now manifested around it where people are obliged to do that in order to sell their lives, and therefore their brand and what they do for a living.”
Co-star Colman – who’s long-shunned the online world – agrees.
Image: Cumberbatch and Colman in The Roses. Pic: Jaap Buitendijk/ Searchlight Pictures
“I don’t look at any of it. My husband will look at a review and if it’s nice he’ll show me – but if it’s anything mean he knows to just go ‘don’t look – don’t look.’
“You just have to learn to be thicker-skinned.
“But actually, I think we need people who are sensitive and kind.”
‘Don’t do it… delete it all’
Colman – now 51, and whose leading role in The Favourite bagged her an Academy Award in 2019 – says no amount of experience and success can shield her from criticism.
“My advice to a young’un – sort of dipping their toe into the world of social media for the first time is absolutely don’t do it.
“Delete it all. If you want a happy life, don’t have any of it. I’ve never had it.”
The movie – directed by Meet The Parents’ Jay Roach with The Favourite screenwriter Tony McNamara – also calls into question the notion of success – asking, is it really possible to have it all?
Or is sacrifice inevitable when it comes to spinning the plates of a high-flying career, marriage and parenthood?
Cumberbatch admits “you can’t do it all without there being a cost”.
“You just have to weigh up what those balances are,” he adds.
Colman says “there are I suppose little sacrifices along the way” – from both sides of a relationship.
The comedy drama offers a fresh take on Warren Adler’s novel The War Of The Roses – and the 1989 hit film adaptation- starring Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.
Colman and Cumberbatch – both producers on the film – insist they weren’t daunted by that though.
“We wanted to find a project to do together, and we have utter respect for the iconic status of the film and book,” explains Cumberbatch.
“Hopefully this will have its own place in the culture – it’s very different, it’s not a remake – it’s a reimagined jumping-on point.”
“But beyond that, it’s very different,” adds Colman.
Former Doctor Who Ncuti Gatwa and Barbie’s Kate McKinnon also form the cast.
BAFTA-winning actor Micheal Ward has been granted bail after appearing in court charged with two counts of rape.
The 27-year-old, who appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court this morning, is also accused of two counts of assault by penetration, and one count of sexual assault.
The offences relate to one woman and are reported to have taken place in January 2023.
Ward, who starred in the popular British series Top Boy and was awarded BAFTA‘s rising star honour in 2020, spoke to confirm his name, address and date of birth during a short court hearing.
He did not enter any pleas and was granted conditional bail until a further hearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on 25 September.
In a statement issued after the charges were announced last month, Ward denied them “entirely” and said he had co-operated with police throughout their investigation.
The actor’s film credits include Blue Story, The Old Guard and Empire of Light, as well as the current Hollywood Western Eddington.
He was also twice nominated for BAFTA’s best supporting actor prize.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.