Formula E’s 11th season starts on Saturday in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and includes the debut of the new Gen3 EVO car – which iterates on the original Gen3 car by activating the front motor, giving more grip and even faster acceleration than a Formula One car.
Formula E is the FIA’s top-level electric racing series, racing single-seater open-wheel formula cars on famous racetracks and in downtown city centers – where quieter, zero-emission cars can get away with things that noisy gassers cannot.
It’s now on its eleventh season, and there’s been plenty of excitement and unpredictability throughout. The series has remained competitive, with championship battles often coming down to the last race with multiple drivers and teams vying for the win – unlike F1, where championship battles are often decided midway through the season.
And Formula E has been iterating on its vehicles pretty rapidly, with changes every couple years adding new capabilities and making the cars faster.
Early Formula E seasons started with a much less powerful vehicle, and drivers would even swap vehicles mid-race (battery swapping was deemed too complicated, so they just swapped cars instead).
In 2018, Formula E introduced the Gen 2 car which was more powerful and no longer needed to swap mid-race. Then in 2022, the Gen 3 car started racing, with the addition of a front motor to be used for stronger regenerative braking.
On the original iteration of the Gen 3 car, the front motor wasn’t active during acceleration – but that’s changing now, as the modified Gen 3 EVO car will be able to use the front motor during qualifying, race starts, and during “attack mode,” a short boost in power that drivers can activate during the race to gain an advantage. So, technically, this means these cars are going to be all-wheel drive, at least some of the time.
All-wheel drive has been popular on road cars recently, because it enhances acceleration and drivability. And on EVs, it’s quite easy to add, because you can just slap a second motor on the other axle and run a few cables to it, rather than needing to run driveshafts and gearing mechanisms all through your car to transfer the power from a single combustion engine to two separate axles.
However, sportscar and racing enthusiasts have often preferred rear-wheel drive because it makes cars more squirrelly and difficult to control, showcasing driver skill more readily.
So this is a pretty big change – single seat open-wheel racing has historically been all rear-wheel drive with few driver aids involved. There have been a few all-wheel drive cars tried in the past, but currently other open-wheel single seaters (like F1, IndyCar and the like) are rear-wheel drive only.
Another big change for this year is in the tires, which will be grippier than last season. The Gen 3 car originally didn’t improve laptimes as much as expected, likely due to a change in tire supplier, and this year’s tires promise to be more capable of handling the car’s higher power output.
Further, we might finally see the debut of the “attack charge” mid-race charging feature. Along with the introduction of a front motor, Gen3 brought 600kW charging capability. This was mostly used for better regenerative braking, but Formula E also said it wanted to introduce a mid-race 600kW charge.
But introduction of that feature got pushed back multiple times, so now, even if Formula E says it’s ready to introduce it – we’ll believe it when it happens. It was tested at pre-season testing in Spain last month, so that’s one step done at least.
If it does get introduced this year, it will likely be at a double-header race, with one race using the mid-race charge system, and the other not.
The new season comes along with changes in drivers and teams, as they often do. Lola cars has taken over the ABT team, running a racing team for the first time since 1997 now alongside Yamaha, and last season’s ERT team has rebranded as Cupra Kiro. Maserati committed to return – and has committed to the entirety of the future Gen4 era, through 2030.
Drivers have shifted around from team to team, with two new rookie drivers joining the grid – Zane Maloney who joins the Lola team after previously racing in Formula 2, and Taylor Barnard who drove 3 races last year for McLaren but now starts the season as a full-time driver.
Tracks have changed as well, with the retirement of the Misano ePrix, meaning no more races in Italy. Saudi Arabia, which previously hosted several season openers at the Riyadh street circuit, will move its races to a new street circuit in Jeddah. The Portland ePrix (which was great the last couple years) is going away, being replaced by the Miami ePrix – which was previously held in 2015, though now will happen at the Homestead-Miami speedway NASCAR track, instead of the previous Miami street circuit along Biscayne Bay. The headline Monaco ePrix, at the world-famous Circuit de Monaco, will become a doubleheader for the first time, with two races on the same weekend. And the Jakarta ePrix is back, after being skipped in 2024.
This weekend’s race is at the Sao Paulo street circuit, which has hosted Formula E twice before. Since Formula E seasons start just before the end of the year and the Sao Paulo ePrix was scheduled from mid-season to the season opener, we’re now getting a second 2024 Sao Paulo ePrix – the last of which was won by Sam Bird. The 2023 race was won by Mitch Evans.
The circuit goes along the city’s Carnival route, with a long back straight interrupted by one chicane, and a return to the start/finish line through some side streets with tight turns. The long straights should offer good opportunities for overtaking, but also add to difficulty in energy management for the teams.
The race starts this Saturday, December 7, at 2pm local Sao Paulo time. That’s Noon Eastern time, 9am Pacific time, and 5pm UTC. You can check out how to watch the race in your area by going to Formula E’s “Ways to Watch” section. In the US, Roku should be the most reliable way to watch.
Charge your electric vehicle at home using rooftop solar panels. Find a reliable and competitively priced solar installer near you on EnergySage, for free. They have pre-vetted installers competing for your business, ensuring high-quality solutions and 20-30% savings. It’s free, with no sales calls until you choose an installer. Compare personalized solar quotes online and receive guidance from unbiased Energy Advisers. Get started here. – ad*
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links.More.
Tesla has quietly removed the Cybertruck’s range extender from the options in its online configurator.
Does Tesla still plan to bring the product to market?
When Tesla unveiled the production version of the Cybertruck in late 2023, there were two main disappointments: the price and the range.
The tri-motor version, which was the most popular in reservation tallies, was supposed to have over 500 miles of range and start at $70,000.
Advertisement – scroll for more content
Tesla now sells the tri-motor Cybertruck for $100,000 and only has a range of 320 miles.
As for the dual-motor Cybertruck, it was supposed to cost $50,000 and have over 300 miles of range. The reality is that it starts at $80,000, and it has 325 miles of range.
However, Tesla had devised a solution to bring the range closer to what it originally announced: a separate battery pack that sits in the truck’s bed. Tesla called it a “range extender.” It costs $16,000 and takes up a third of the Cybertruck’s bed.
Even though the Cybertruck has been in production for a year and a half at this point, the range extender has yet to launch.
At the time, Tesla also reduced the range that the removable battery pack adds to the Cybertruck to “445+ miles” rather than “470+ miles” for the dual motor – a ~25-mile reduction in range.
Now, Tesla has removed the option from its online Cybertruck configurator. It used to take reservations for the range extender with a “$2,000 non-refundable deposit”, as seen on the image above, but now it’s not in the configurator at all at the time of writing.
It’s unclear if Tesla is not planning to launch the product anymore or if it is just pausing reservations.
In its specs page, Tesla still lists the achievable range of both versions of the Cybertruck with and without the range extender battery:
Electrek’s Take
I’m curious. Is it dead, or does Tesla just want to stop taking reservations for it?
At first, I was curious about the product even though I didn’t think it would make up for Tesla’s significant miss on Cybertruck specs.
However, after it was confirmed that it takes up 30% of your bed and that it needs to be installed and removed by Tesla at a service center, I think it’s pretty much dead on arrival at $16,000.
It’s going to be a product limited to only a few people at best. And now that’s if it makes it to market.
With the option being removed from the configurator, there’s no production timeline available. Again, the last one was “mid-2025”, which is soon.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links.More.
Portable power station specialist EcoFlow is kicking off its third annual Member’s Festival this month and is offering a unique new rewards program to those who become EcoFlow members. The 2025 EcoFlow Member’s Festival will offer savings of up to 65% for its participating customers, and a portion of those funds will be allocated toward rescue power solutions for communities around the globe through the company’s “Power for All” fund.
EcoFlow remains one of the industry leaders in portable power solutions and continues to trek forward in its vision to power a new tech-driven, eco-conscious future. Per its website:
Our mission from day one is to provide smart and eco-friendly energy solutions for individuals, families, and society at large. We are, were, and will continue to be a reliable and trusted energy companion for users around the world.
To achieve such goals, EcoFlow has continued to expand its portfolio of sustainable energy solutions to its community members, including portable power stations, solar generators, and mountable solar panels. While EcoFlow is doing plenty to support its growing customer base, it has expanded its reach by giving back to disaster-affected communities by helping bolster global disaster response efforts the best way it knows how– with portable power solutions.
Source: EcoFlow
EcoFlow and its members look to provide “Power for All”
Since 2023, EcoFlow has collaborated with organizations worldwide as part of its “Power for All” mission. This initiative aims to ensure access to reliable and timely power to disaster-affected communities across the globe, including rescue agencies, affected hospitals, and shelters, to support rescue and recovery efforts.
Advertisement – scroll for more content
This fund most recently provided aid for communities affected by the recent Los Angeles wildfires, assistance to the Special Forces Charitable Trust (SFCT) in North Carolina following severe hurricanes, and support for non-profits engaged in hurricane preparedness in Florida and the Gulf Coast. Per Jodi Burns, CEO of the Special Forces Charitable Trust:
In the wake of devastating storms in Western North Carolina, reliable power was a critical need for the families we serve. Thanks to EcoFlow’s generous donation of generators, we were able to provide immediate relief, ensuring these families and their communities had access to power when they needed it most. We are so impressed with EcoFlow’s commitment to disaster response through their ‘Power for All’ program. It has made a tangible impact, and we are deeply grateful for their support and partnership in helping these families recover and rebuild.
In 2024, the US experienced 27 weather and climate events, each causing losses exceeding $1 billion, marking the second-highest annual total on record, according to National Centers for Environmental Information. The increasing frequency and severity of natural disasters underscore the critical need for reliable and timely power solutions during emergencies, much like EcoFlow and its members are helping provide through the “Power For All” initiative.
To support new and existing EcoFlow members, the company is celebrating its third annual Member’s Festival throughout April to offer a do-not-miss discount on its products and donate a portion of all sales to the “Power for All” fund to provide rescue power to those in need in the future. Learn how it all works below.
Source: EcoFlow
Save big and give back during the 2025 Member’s Festival
As of April 1st, you can now sign up to become an EcoFlow member to participate in the company’s exclusive 2025 Member Festival.
As a member, you can earn “EcoFlow Power Points” by completing tasks like registration, referrals, and product purchases and tracking your individual efforts toward disaster preparedness and recovery.
Beginning April 4, EcoFlow members will also be able to take advantage of exclusive discounts of up to 65% off select portable power stations, including the DELTA Pro Ultra, DELTA Pro 3, DELTA 2 Max, DELTA 3 Plus, RIVER 3 Plus, and more. However, these sale prices only last through April 25, so you’ll want to move quickly!
Click here to learn more about EcoFlow’s “Power for All” campaign. To register for EcoFlow’s 2025 Member Festival in the US, visit the EcoFlow website. To register as a member in Canada, visit here.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links.More.
Tesla is losing another top talent: its long-time head of software, David Lau, has reportedly told co-workers that he is exiting the automaker.
Tesla changed how the entire auto industry looks at software.
Before Tesla, it was an afterthought; user interfaces were rudimentary, and you had to go to a dealership to get a software update on your systems.
When Tesla launched the Model S in 2012, it all changed. Your car would get better through software updates like your phone, the large center display was responsive with a UI that actually made sense and was closer to an iPad experience than a car.
Advertisement – scroll for more content
Tesla also integrated its software into its retail experience, service, and manufacturing.
David Lau deserves a lot of the credit for that.
He joined Tesla in 2012 as a senior manager of firmware engineering and quickly rose through the ranks. By 2014, he was promoted to director of firmware engineering and system integration, and in 2017, he became Vice President of software.
Lau listed the responsibilities of his team on his LinkedIn:
Vehicle Software:
Firmware for the powertrain, traction/stability control, HV electronics, battery management, and body control systems
UI software and underlying Embedded Linux platforms
Navigation and routing
iOS and Android Mobile apps
Distributed Systems:
Server-side software and infrastructure that provides telemetry, diagnostics, over-the-air updates, and configuration/lifecycle management
Data engineering and analytics platforms that power technical and business insights for an increasingly diverse set of customers across the company
Diagnostic tools and fleet management, Manufacturing and Automation:
Automation controls (PLC, robot)
Server-side manufacturing execution systems that power all of Tesla’s production operations
Product Security and Red Team for software, services, and systems across Tesla
Bloomberg reported today that Lau told his team he is leaving Tesla. The report didn’t include reasons for his stepping down.
Electrek’s Take
Twelve years at any company is a great run. At Tesla, it’s heroic. Congrats, David, on a great run. You undoubtedly had a significant impact on Tesla and software advancements in the broader auto industry.
He is another significant loss for Tesla, which has been losing a lot of top talent following a big wave of layoffs around this time last year.
I wonder who will take over. Michael Rizkalla, senior director of software engineering and vehicle firmware, is one of the most senior software engineers after Lau. He has been at Tesla for 7 years, and Tesla likes to promote within rather than hire outsiders.
There are also a lot of senior software execs working on AI at Tesla. Musk has been favoring them lately and he could fold Lau’s responsibilities under them.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links.More.