Dick Van Dyke has said he is “not afraid” of death, as he prepares to mark his 99th birthday next week.
The Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang star, who was born on 13 December 1925, made the comment as he acknowledged he was “acutely aware that I could go any day now”.
However, he added: “I don’t know why, it doesn’t concern me, I’m not afraid of it. I have that feeling totally against anything intellectual I have, that I’m going to be alright.”
The Hollywood actor spoke out as he appeared in a new seven-minute video for Coldplay‘s new song All My Love, from the British group’s 10th studio album Moon Music.
YouTube
This content is provided by YouTube, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable YouTube cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to YouTube cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow YouTube cookies for this session only.
In the director’s cut, Van Dyke is seen duetting with lead singer Chris Martin and dancing, while also discussing his views on life and family.
After being asked what love is, he replies: “Boy, they’ve been attacking that question for centuries, I don’t know.
“It certainly is a feeling of caring about the welfare and the life of the other person as much as you care for yourself.”
The American actor is also shown looking at an old photograph of himself with his late first wife Margie Willett and their children, including his daughter Stacy.
He then adds: “I’ve had dreams where I am depressed or hurt, or lonely, or something, and she (Stacy) comes to comfort me, actually comes to comfort me.”
Image: Dick Van Dyke at the Emmy Awards in September 1977. Pic: AP
Later in the video, he is asked to close his eyes and think about people who have meant something in his life – to which he jokingly replies: “I’m too old for this, I’ll pass out and go to sleep, I’ll take a nap.”
The star is also seen laughing and hugging some of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren – before Martin concludes the clip by singing him an impromptu song about old age.
Filmed at Van Dyke’s home in Malibu, California, a shorter version of the music video will be released on 13 December to celebrate his 99th birthday.
His career, which has spanned more than seven decades, has seen him pick up a string of awards, including Emmys and a Grammy for the Mary Poppins soundtrack.
Van Dyke has continued to work into old age – including with a cameo role in 2018’s Mary Poppins Returns, the sequel to the hit 1964 film that helped propel him to stardom.
Last year, the actor was reportedly involved in a car crash in his home state but avoided any serious injuries.
Coldplay have rescheduled the final two dates of their 10-show run at Wembley Stadium because of strike action on the London Underground.
Rail, Maritime And Transport (RMT) union walkouts next Sunday and Monday make it impossible for fans to get to and from the venue safely, the band said in a statement.
Instagram
This content is provided by Instagram, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Instagram cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Instagram cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Instagram cookies for this session only.
The completion of their Wembley run will see Coldplay become the first act to play 10 dates at the national football stadium in the same year, knocking current joint record holders Taylor Swift and Take That from the top spot.
Both Swift and Take That have played eight Wembley shows in a single year.
Industrial action on the Tube will take place at different times from 5 September for seven days, impacting Coldplay’s gigs – which are part of the band’s eco-friendly Music Of The Spheres world tour – on 7 and 8 September.
A statement from the band posted on social media read: “We’re sorry to announce that, due to planned industrial action on the London Underground, we’ve been forced to reschedule our final two concerts of the current Wembley Stadium run.
“Without a Tube service, it’s impossible to get 82,000 people to the concert and home again safely, and therefore no event licence can be granted for the nights of 7th and 8th September.
More on Chris Martin
Related Topics:
“To avoid cancelling the shows, our only option is to reschedule.”
They said the show on 7 September would move to 6 September and the show on 8 September would move to 12 September.
The band added: “We’re very sorry for the inevitable disappointment, frustration and inconvenience that this situation causes.”
Instagram
This content is provided by Instagram, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Instagram cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Instagram cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Instagram cookies for this session only.
Coldplay said tickets would remain valid for their rescheduled date, but any fans who are unable to attend their rescheduled show can get a full refund on their ticket from their point of purchase before noon on 2 September.
Returned tickets are to go on general sale at 11am on 3 September via Ticketmaster.
The band confirmed shows on 30 and 31 August, and 3 September and 4 September would go ahead as scheduled.
Some 10% of the band’s proceeds from the Wembley shows will be donated to the Music Venue Trust to help support grassroots UK venues and upcoming artists.
Fronted by Chris Martin, Coldplay formed in 1997, and have gone on to achieve two UK number one singles and 10 UK number one albums. They are best known for songs such as Yellow, Fix You, A Sky Full Of Stars and Viva La Vida.
Jessie J has been forced to rearrange or cancel all upcoming tour dates as she will be having a second operation as part of her treatment for breast cancer.
The 37-year-old announced in June that she had been diagnosed with early breast cancer. She had her first operation later in the same month.
The singer, whose real name is Jessica Cornish, was due to tour the UK and Europe in October, before gigs in the US in November.
In a video posted on Instagram, she’s now told fans: “Unfortunately, I have to have a second surgery, nothing too serious, but it has to be done before the end of the year and unfortunately, that falls right in the middle of a tour that I had booked.”
Instagram
This content is provided by Instagram, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Instagram cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Instagram cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Instagram cookies for this session only.
Jessie J has battled numerous health issues, including being diagnosed with a heart condition when she was eight years old and suffering a minor stroke aged 18.
The singer-songwriter has had three number one songs in the UK singles chart, with Price Tag and Domino – both released in 2011 – and 2014’s Bang Bang, a collaboration with Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj.
She won the Critics’ Choice prize at the 2011 BRITs and bagged four Mobo awards in the same year.
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch says he’s shocked at how “fragile” he still is – despite years in the spotlight and success in the industry.
It might seem like the Doctor Strange star and The Crown actress Olivia Colman have it all when it comes to money and success – but they are also human like the rest of us.
The pair lead the cast of new satirical black comedy The Roses, which sees picture-perfect couple Ivy and Theo Rose – a rising star chef and ambitious architect – raise their two children in California, while chasing their own dreams.
‘I am shocked at how fragile I am’
But behind its dark humour and comic language, the film also looks at the realities of power imbalance, insecurity and wounded pride – in even the strongest of relationships.
And 49-year-old Cumberbatch– whose character faces a major setback in his career – tells Sky News that in real life the glare of social media only intensifies those type of situations.
“I am shocked at how fragile I am still.
More on Benedict Cumberbatch
Related Topics:
“I don’t go anywhere near it [social media] because of that.
“It’s like walking into a place where people want to marry you or kill you. Those extremes.
“I think we will get to a stage, a corporate culture that’s now manifested around it where people are obliged to do that in order to sell their lives, and therefore their brand and what they do for a living.”
Co-star Colman – who’s long-shunned the online world – agrees.
Image: Cumberbatch and Colman in The Roses. Pic: Jaap Buitendijk/ Searchlight Pictures
“I don’t look at any of it. My husband will look at a review and if it’s nice he’ll show me – but if it’s anything mean he knows to just go ‘don’t look – don’t look.’
“You just have to learn to be thicker-skinned.
“But actually, I think we need people who are sensitive and kind.”
‘Don’t do it… delete it all’
Colman – now 51, and whose leading role in The Favourite bagged her an Academy Award in 2019 – says no amount of experience and success can shield her from criticism.
“My advice to a young’un – sort of dipping their toe into the world of social media for the first time is absolutely don’t do it.
“Delete it all. If you want a happy life, don’t have any of it. I’ve never had it.”
The movie – directed by Meet The Parents’ Jay Roach with The Favourite screenwriter Tony McNamara – also calls into question the notion of success – asking, is it really possible to have it all?
Or is sacrifice inevitable when it comes to spinning the plates of a high-flying career, marriage and parenthood?
Cumberbatch admits “you can’t do it all without there being a cost”.
“You just have to weigh up what those balances are,” he adds.
Colman says “there are I suppose little sacrifices along the way” – from both sides of a relationship.
The comedy drama offers a fresh take on Warren Adler’s novel The War Of The Roses – and the 1989 hit film adaptation- starring Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.
Colman and Cumberbatch – both producers on the film – insist they weren’t daunted by that though.
“We wanted to find a project to do together, and we have utter respect for the iconic status of the film and book,” explains Cumberbatch.
“Hopefully this will have its own place in the culture – it’s very different, it’s not a remake – it’s a reimagined jumping-on point.”
“But beyond that, it’s very different,” adds Colman.
Former Doctor Who Ncuti Gatwa and Barbie’s Kate McKinnon also form the cast.