Syria’s new rebel leaders are facing the daunting task of healing a divided nation – and the toppling of the Assad regime has not put an end to fighting in the country.
In northern Syria, Turkey-backed opposition fighters are still battling US-allied Kurdish forces, while both Israel and the US launched airstrikes on Syria on Sunday. There is also uncertainty surrounding two Russian bases.
President Bashar al Assad fled Damascus with his family on Sunday morning and their whereabouts were unknown until Russian state media confirmed they had been given asylum in Moscow “on humanitarian grounds”.
Sources also told Russian media the Kremlin had struck a deal with Syria’s rebel leaders to guarantee the safety of its bases in the country, as part of arrangements that saw Mr Assad head to Russia.
Moscow – a staunch backer of the Assad regime – has the strategically important Hmeimim airbase in Syria’s Latakia province and a naval facility at Tartous – its only Mediterranean repair and replenishment hub.
Image: A satellite image shows Russia-operated Hmeimim Air Base. Pic: Reuters
Despite the deal, some Russian war bloggers have said the situations around the bases remain intense.
More from World
‘Rybar’, a Russian war blogger close to the country’s defence ministry, said: “Russia’s military presence in the Middle East region hangs by a thread.
“What anyone decided in high offices is absolutely irrelevant on the ground.”
Russian warships have left Tartous and taken up positions at sea for security reasons, Rybar added.
The account – which has more than 1.3 million followers on Telegram – also said the Hmeimim airbase had effectively been cut off after rebels took control of a nearby town. Rybar’s claims have not been verified.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs played down any immediate threat to its bases, but Sky News was told both are on “high alert” and Moscow is following events with “extreme concern”.
Image: Smoke rises from Syria as people cross the Lebanese-Syrian border crossing of Arida. Pic: Reuters
Israel and US launch airstrikes on Syria
Meanwhile, Israel and the US have conducted separate airstrikes in Syria since Assad’s regime collapsed.
The US Central Command (CENTCOM) said its forces had aimed dozens of strikes at Islamic State targets in central Syria, to ensure it does not take advantage of the uncertainty.
A senior official in the Biden administration said the US has also been focused on making sure chemical weapons controlled by the new regime are secured.
While there would be no role for US ground troops, the official said the US would work to ensure the safety of chemical weapons stockpiles in the country – which have in the past been used on rebels – but they did not elaborate on how that would be achieved.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
3:14
What are the impacts of Assad’s fall?
Meanwhile, Israel conducted three airstrikes against a major security complex and a research centre in Damascus, two regional security sources told Reuters.
According to Israel, the centre was used by Iranian scientists to develop missiles. Smoke was seen billowing over Damascus on Sunday, although it was not known what had caused it.
There has also been military action on the Israel-Syria border.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had ordered Israeli forces to seize a buffer zone in the Golan Heights, established by a 1974 ceasefire agreement.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
Mr Netanyahu claimed it was necessary to “ensure the protection of all Israeli communities in the Golan Heights” after Syrian soldiers abandoned their positions there.
The Golan area was captured by Israel in the 1967 Mideast war, and later annexed. The international community, except the US, views it as occupied territory.
US President Donald Trump has revoked Secret Service protection for former vice president and 2024 Democratic rival Kamala Harris.
A senior adviser to Ms Harris, Kirsten Allen, confirmed the decision. “The vice president is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” said the adviser.
Typically, vice presidents receive a six-month security detail from the Secret Service after they leave office, although it had been extended to 18 months for Ms Harris, according to officials.
Initially, then-president Joe Biden extended her security arrangements to one year, or January 2026, according to reports.
However, a Secret Service official told Sky News’ US partner, NBC, that Mr Biden subsequently signed an executive memorandum in January increasing the then vice-president’s protection period even further, to 18 months.
Former US presidents receive Secret Service protection for life.
Revoking Harris’ federal protection will be deemed ‘malicious’ by Trump’s critics
We don’t know why the former vice president’s Secret Service protection has been revoked – the White House gave no explanation.
We do know why former president Joe Biden extended it from the usual six months to 18 months before he left office.
Such decisions tend to be based on advice from the Department of Homeland Security, determined by the perceived threat level.
Kamala Harris isn’t just a former vice president of the United States. She was the first woman and first African American to hold that office.
In addition to that, she was the Democratic candidate in last year’s election – the battle against Donald Trump raising her profile even higher.
By early 2025, she had plans for a book tour. Her memoir, 107 Days, marking the short period of her candidature, is due out next month.
Extending federal protection would have bolstered Ms Harris’ safety during extensive public appearances.
In short, the extension reflected heightened security needs – her symbolic status and increased visibility from upcoming public engagements.
But the White House has pulled her Secret Service security detail, a move that will be deemed malicious by the president’s critics.
Ms Harris, who lost the 2024 presidential election to Mr Trump, is due to start a book tour for her memoir, 107 Days, shortly.
She was the Democratic nominee for 107 days after Mr Biden exited the race in the weeks following a challenging debate against Mr Trump.
Mr Trump has also ended federal security protection for others, including former national security adviser John Bolton. Last week, FBI agents raided Mr Bolton’s Maryland home.
In March, the president ended protection for Mr Biden’s children, Hunter and Ashley Biden.
Ms Harris has not ruled out a possible presidential run in 2028. She announced in July that she would not run for governor of California in 2026.
Thailand’s prime minister has been sacked after a leaked phone call with a senior Cambodian politician caused outrage.
Paetongtarn Shinawatra, who was Thailand’s youngest PM, has been dismissed from office by the country’s Constitutional Court after only a year in power.
The court found Ms Shinawatra, 39, violated ethics in a leaked June telephone call, during which she appeared to kowtow to Cambodia’s former leader Hun Sen as the bordering countries were on the verge of an armed conflict.
She also criticised a Thai army commander – a taboo move in a country where the military is extremely influential.
Fighting erupted weeks later and lasted five days. At least 35 people were killed and more than 260,000 were displaced.
Ms Shinawatra, who was new to politics when she took office in August last year, apologised over the call and said she was trying to avert a war. She was suspended in July.
Image: Ms Shinawatra arriving at Government House in Bangkok ahead of the verdict on Friday. Pic: Reuters
She is now the fifth Thai PM from, or backed by, the billionaire Shinawatra family to be removed by the military or the judiciary in 17 years, amid a battle for power between the country’s warring elites.
The ruling thrusts Thailand into more political uncertainty at a time of public unease over stalled reforms and a stuttering economy.
The decline of Thailand’s most powerful political dynasty
This is a damning verdict for the Thai prime minister.
Paetongtarn Shinawatra said she “acted with the purest of intentions” and that she hoped for political unity.
But with one phone call, she has pushed Thailand to the brink of a political crisis.
It was a naive and explosive mistake. And it couldn’t have happened at a worse time.
Right now, the kingdom is facing massive insecurity.
Border tensions with Cambodia could erupt again at any point and it is just weeks since the two sides were exchanging fire.
Thailand needs strong and definite leadership. Instead, it now has months of jeopardy.
Paetongtarn is now the fifth leader to be removed from office by the constitutional court in just 17 years.
But her particular ouster is part of a much bigger story – the decline of Thailand’s most powerful political dynasty.
Last week, her father Thaksin was cleared of insulting the monarchy.
But he faces more court cases and the misstep by his daughter threatens to severely weaken their political domination as a family.
Pateongtarn crossed a red line for Thais – insulting the all-important military.
She clearly trusted “uncle” Hun Sen. She shouldn’t have.
His revenge leak has unseated her and her nation.
Now comes a messy grappling to fill the power vacuum she leaves behind.
Speaking after the court’s decision, the exiting PM said “all sides” in Thai politics now “have to work together to build political stability and to ensure that there won’t be another turning point again”.
The focus will now shift to who will replace Ms Shinawatra.
Her influential, billionaire father, Thaksin Shinawatra, who also once served as Thailand’s PM, is expected to be at the heart of a flurry of bargaining to keep the ruling Pheu Thai party in power.
Follow The World
Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday
The leader of the main opposition People’s Party has called for the next prime minister to dissolve parliament once they are installed.
The deputy PM, Phumtham Wechayachai, and the current cabinet will act as government caretakers until a new leader is elected by parliament. There is no time limit on when that must take place.
The Russian president thinks he’s winning this war, and it’s hard to escape the conclusion that he’s using diplomacy to play for time while he carries on beating down the Ukrainians’ will to win.
And at the moment, no one is stopping him
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
4:40
At least 14 killed in Kyiv attack
Ukraineis hitting back, particularly at Russia‘s oil installations, more of them going up in thick black smoke, after being hit by long-range Ukrainian drones.
It is taking a heavy toll on Putin’s ‘Achilles heel’, but on its own, analysts don’t expect it will be enough to persuade him to end this war.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:00
British Council building hit in Kyiv
The West can wring its hands in condemnation.
But it’s divided between Europe that wants a ceasefire and much more severe sanctions, and Donald Trump, who, it seems, does not – strangely always willing to sympathise with the Russians more than Ukraine.
He’s back to blaming Ukraine for starting the war, saying earlier in the week that Kyiv should not have got into a war it had no chance of winning.
It is a grotesque perversion of history. Ukraine, of course, had no choice but to fight to defend itself when it was invaded in an act of unprovoked aggression.
Every time the US president has condemned Russia for these kinds of attacks, he has never followed through and done nothing to punish them.
Image: Rescue workers carry an injured woman after a Russian strike on Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP
More worryingly for the Ukrainians, the Russians are getting the upper hand in the drones war, taking Iranian technology and souping it up into faster-moving drones that the Ukrainians are having increasing difficulty bringing down.
They expect as many as a thousand drones a night coming their way by the winter, and many, many more innocents to die.
A war that began as one man’s mad idea has, in three and a half years, metastasised into a titanic struggle between east and west, fought increasingly with machines in a dystopian evolution of war.
If Mr Trump is not prepared to use his power to bring this war to an end, what will another three and a half years of his presidency bring?