A mother has been jailed after she buried a phone in the family cat’s grave to help her paedophile son – who used Snapchat to groom more than 200 girls while he was a police officer.
Lewis Edwards, 25, was given a life sentence last year and was sentenced for further offences on Tuesday. He previously admitted 160 counts of child sexual abuse and blackmail involving 4,500 indecent images of children.
Edwards, a former South Wales Police officer, is serving a minimum of 12 years after he lost an appeal against his sentence in May.
His mother Rebekah Edwards, 48, had pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice after concealing evidence.
Recorder of Cardiff Tracey Lloyd-Clarke sentenced her to two years in prison today.
The judge said she had considered whether the sentence could be suspended but said the offending was “too serious” for anything other than an immediate custodial sentence.
Edwards will serve half of her sentence in custody before she is released on licence.
‘Bury the black one’
Cardiff Crown Court heard that police with a warrant searched the home address of Lewis Edwards on 8 February 2023.
Prosecuting, Roger Griffiths said “a number of electronic devices” were recovered but that Lewis Edwards declined to give passwords to police.
In July 2023, South Wales Police were informed Rebekah Edwards had recovered two mobile phones.
“It was reported to the police that Mrs Edwards had asked [Lewis Edwards] what she should do with the phones,” Mr Griffiths added.
“Lewis Edwards had said: ‘Bury the black one’.”
Image: Police interview of Lewis Edwards. Pic: South Wales Police
Rebekah Edwards initially handed over two phones to officers but she was then asked by police about a report they had received of a phone in the garden.
“I buried the phone in the garden when I buried the cat,” she told officers.
Mr Griffiths told the court the device recovered from “the grave of the family cat” was “a black mobile telephone with a smashed screen”.
Due to its damage, the phone was “incapable of examination”, the prosecution said.
“We say there was no reason for [Rebekah Edwards] to retain any of the phones,” Mr Griffiths added.
Andrew Davies, defending Lewis Edwards, said there was “very little that can be said” but said the best mitigation in his favour was that he pleaded guilty to the charges against him.
“He regrets that he’s embroiled others in his offending,” Mr Davies added.
For the three offences of possession of indecent images of children, Lewis Edwards was sentenced to 12 months in prison to run concurrently with the life sentence he is currently serving.
He was also sentenced to two years and eight months in custody for perverting the course of justice which will also run concurrently.
Giles Hayes, defending Rebekah Edwards, said she was the “primary carer for a dependent relative” and previously of “good character”.
He said Edwards had moved address to live with her mother “for fear of repercussions in the local community” after her son’s arrest.
After Lewis Edwards was sentenced last year, Assistant Chief Constable Danny Richards said there was “no place” for “anyone who abuses the personal responsibility they hold as a police officer” in South Wales Police.
Children and young people can contact Childline with any concerns on 0800 1111.
Adults worried about a child’s safety can get in touch with the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000 or by emailing help@nspcc.org.uk.
Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.
A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.
“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”
Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.
Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.
Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.
He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.
Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.
“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.
“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.
“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.
“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.
“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”
Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.
He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.
Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.
A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.
“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.