The crash, which happened as the jet sought to land at Ronald Reagan National Airport, is the worst civil aviation disaster in the US since 2001.
Here’s what we know about the passengers so far.
Image: The collision happened over the Potomac River and close to Ronald Reagan Airport
Pilots and a professor
The family of one of the American Airlines pilots killed in the crash has named him as Jonathan Campos.
His first officer, Samuel Lilley, was confirmed dead by his father Tim, who said he was due to get married this autumn.
“It is so devastating to lose someone who is loved so much,” he wrote on social media.
Image: Jonathan Campos. Pic: Sonia Carrasquillo
Image: Pic via NBC News
Image: Samuel Lilley. Pic: Facebook/Tim Lilley
The parents of passenger Kiah Duggins also confirmed she was on board.
They said: “We are coming to terms with the grief associated with the loss of our beautiful and accomplished first-born. Please respect our family’s privacy at this time.”
Howard University, where Ms Duggins worked as a law professor, also asked for privacy and respect “during this difficult time”.
Image: Kiah Duggins. Pic: Dr and Mrs Duggins via NBC News
Raza Hussain told NBC News his wife Azra was also among those killed – and she was texting him just 20 minutes before she was due to land.
Image: Azra Hussain. Pic: Raza family
He said she told him “we’re landing in 20 minutes” and that he “had dinner waiting at home” before the collision.
The 26-year-old worked as a consultant in Washington DC and was married to her college sweetheart.
Paying tribute to her, he said: “My wife was such a giver. She made me feel so loved.”
Liz Keys was confirmed as another of the crash victims by her partner David Seidman, who she met at law school.
Image: Liz Keys. Pic: family handout
She worked as an attorney and was part of a sailing team in her spare time. The day of her crash is reported to have been her birthday.
Pergentino Malabed Jr was a police officer from the Phillippines who was in the US on work duties when he was killed in the crash.
Image: Pergentino Malabed. Pic: Facebook/PNPTI Cordillera Administrative Region Training Center
The Philippine National Police said in a statement: “His untimely passing is a profound loss to the PNP, where he served with honour, integrity, and dedication throughout his career.”
Helicopter pilot and flight attendants
Helicopter pilot Andrew Eaves was confirmed dead by his wife Carrie on social media.
She said Mr Eaves was “one of the pilots in the Blackhawk”, asking people to share their pictures of him in his memory. Mississippi Governor Tate Reeves also confirmed he was killed in the crash.
Image: Andrew Eaves. Pic: Carrie Eaves/Facebook
Ian Epstein, 53, and Danasia Brown, 34, were two of the flight attendants on board the American Airlines flight, according to their families.
A statement from the Epstein family said Mr Epstein “loved being a flight attendant because he truly enjoyed travelling and meeting new people”, adding that “his true love was his family”.
Image: Ian Epstein. Pic: Debi Epstein/Facebook
Ms Brown’s older brother Dajour set up a crowdfunding page to help support her husband and two children, aged four and 13.
“Anything donated will go towards her kids and husband that’s left behind,” he wrote.
Image: Danasia Brown. Pic: Dajour Brown/Go Fund Me
Up to 14 members of US figure skating community
Several figure skating organisations have said that athletes were on the American Airlines jet.
One of those was 12-year-old Olivia Ter, who was described as “beloved” and an “exceptional youth figure skater”.
The Parks Department in Prince George’s County, Maryland, confirmed Olivia’s death on Thursday night.
Spreaker
This content is provided by Spreaker, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Spreaker cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Spreaker cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Spreaker cookies for this session only.
It said she was one of four elite skaters from the region attending a development camp in Wichita, Kansas.
“The impact of Olivia’s life will continue to resonate in our youth sports community, and she will be sorely missed,” a department director, Bill Tyler, said.
“We extend our deepest condolences to the Ter family, friends, teammates, and all those affected by this devastating loss.”
Instagram
This content is provided by Instagram, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Instagram cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Instagram cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Instagram cookies for this session only.
Meanwhile, The Skating Club of Boston also named members of its community who were on the American Airlines jet in a statement posted on Instagram.
They include athlete Jinna Han and her mother Jin Han, athlete Spencer Lane and his mother Christine Lane, and coaches Vadim Naumov and Yevgenia Shishkova, a married couple who won the world championships in pairs figure skating in 1994.
Reports of the couple being on board the jet were confirmed by the Kremlin.
Image: Spencer Lane. Pic: The Skating Club of Boston via AP
Image: Pic: Christine Lane/Instagram
As many as 14 American members of the community are feared dead, said Doug Zeghibe, Skating Club of Boston’s chief executive.
“To the best of our knowledge, 14 skaters returning home from the national development camp at Wichita, Kansas, put on by US figure skating, were lost in the plane crash at Washington DC,” he said.
“Of those 14 skaters, six were from the Skating Club of Boston. Two coaches and two teenage athletes, and two of the athletes’ mums.
“It’s a major loss for our skating community.”
Image: Jinna Han. Pic: The Skating Club of Boston via AP
Image: Naumov and Shishkova. File pic: Kimimasa Mayama/Reuters
US Figure Skating confirmed several members were on the American Airlines flight.
“We are devastated by this unspeakable tragedy and hold the victims’ families closely in our hearts,” it said in a statement.
“We will continue to monitor the situation and will release more information as it becomes available.”
A man who said his daughter’s best friend and her mother were on the jet when it crashed told Sky News they had been at an “athletic trip” in Kansas.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:40
‘My daughter’s friend was on this flight’
Russian world champions
According to US media, Shishkova, 52, and Naumov, 55, had lived in America since at least 1998, where they trained young ice skaters.
Image: Skating coaches Vadim Naumov, left, and Evgenia Shishkova. Pic: The Skating Club of Boston via AP
Their son, Maxim, 23, who had been competing in the US figure skating championships in Wichita, was also feared to be on the plane. But his friend and fellow skater Anton Spiridonov has reportedly said he left four days ago.
The couple were reported to have been returning from the competition and travelling with a group of young skaters.
Inna Volyanskaya, a former skater who competed for the Soviet Union, was also reported to have been on board, Russian state media said. She was a coach at the Washington figure skating club, according to its website.
Image: File Pic: Colorsport/Shutterstock
“We regret and offer condolences to the families and friends who lost those of our fellow citizens who died in this plane crash,” Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said.
Skaters confirm safety
US-Russian figure skater Spiridonov has confirmed he was not on the plane, despite reports suggesting he was.
Russian media had named him among the casualties, he said in an Instagram post.
“I was NOT on this flight, thank you for everyone’s concern for my safety,” the Winter World University Games silver medallist wrote.
“My heart goes out to all the families affected by this tragedy.”
Image: Anton Spiridonov, who has confirmed he was not on the plane, with fellow skater Lorraine McNamara in 2023. Pic: Tomohiro Ohsumi/AP
Cristian McKnight-Ide, a professional skater, said in a Facebook post: “Thank you for those who have reached out regarding the flight from Wichita that crashed. Scarlet and I are home safe since early this afternoon.
“We are all praying for the safety of our fellow skaters that were on that flight.”
Anne Goldberg-Baldwin, also a skater, said she was “safe” as she asked her followers to pray for her loved ones in a story on Instagram.
While the UK’s FTSE 100 closed down 1.55% and the continent’s STOXX Europe 600 index was down 2.67% as of 5.30pm, it was American traders who were hit the most.
All three of the US’s major markets opened to sharp losses on Thursday morning.
Image: The S&P 500 is set for its worst day of trading since the COVID-19 pandemic. File pic: AP
By 8.30pm UK time (3.30pm EST), The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 3.7%, the S&P 500 opened with a drop of 4.4%, and the Nasdaq composite was down 5.6%.
Compared to their values when Donald Trump was inaugurated, the three markets were down around 5.6%, 8.7% and 14.4%, respectively, according to LSEG.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
Worst one-day losses since COVID
As Wall Street trading ended at 9pm in the UK, two indexes had suffered their worst one-day losses since the COVID-19 pandemic.
The S&P 500 fell 4.85%, the Nasdaq dropped 6%, and the Dow Jones fell 4%.
It marks Nasdaq’s biggest daily percentage drop since March 2020 at the start of COVID, and the largest drop for the Dow Jones since June 2020.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
5:07
The latest numbers on tariffs
‘Trust in President Trump’
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told CNN earlier in the day that Mr Trump was “doubling down on his proven economic formula from his first term”.
“To anyone on Wall Street this morning, I would say trust in President Trump,” she told the broadcaster, adding: “This is indeed a national emergency… and it’s about time we have a president who actually does something about it.”
Later, the US president told reporters as he left the White House that “I think it’s going very well,” adding: “The markets are going to boom, the stock is going to boom, the country is going to boom.”
He later said on Air Force One that the UK is “happy” with its tariff – the lowest possible levy of 10% – and added he would be open to negotiations if other countries “offer something phenomenal”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
3:27
How is the world reacting to Trump’s tariffs?
Economist warns of ‘spiral of doom’
The turbulence in the markets from Mr Trump’s tariffs “just left everybody in shock”, Garrett Melson, portfolio strategist at Natixis Investment Managers Solutions in Boston, told Reuters.
He added that the economy could go into recession as a result, saying that “a lot of the pain, will probably most acutely be felt in the US and that certainly would weigh on broader global growth as well”.
Meanwhile, chief investment officer at St James’s Place Justin Onuekwusi said that international retaliation is likely, even as “it’s clear countries will think about how to retaliate in a politically astute way”.
He warned: “Significant retaliation could lead to a tariff ‘spiral of doom’ that could be the growth shock that drags us into recession.”
It comes as the UK government published a long list of US products that could be subject to reciprocal tariffs – including golf clubs and golf balls.
Running to more than 400 pages, the list is part of a four-week-long consultation with British businesses and suggests whiskey, jeans, livestock, and chemical components.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Thursday that the US president had launched a “new era” for global trade and that the UK will respond with “cool and calm heads”.
It also comes as Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced a 25% tariff on all American-imported vehicles that are not compliant with the US-Mexico-Canada trade deal.
He added: “The 80-year period when the United States embraced the mantle of global economic leadership, when it forged alliances rooted in trust and mutual respect and championed the free and open exchange of goods and services, is over. This is a tragedy.”
Donald Trump has announced a 10% trade tariff on all imports from the UK – as he unleashed sweeping tariffs across the globe.
Speaking at a White House event entitled “Make America Wealthy Again”, the president held up a chart detailing the worst offenders – which also showed the new tariffs the US would be imposing.
“This is Liberation Day,” he told a cheering audience of supporters, while hitting out at foreign “cheaters”.
He claimed “trillions” of dollars from the “reciprocal” levies he was imposing on others’ trade barriers would provide relief for the US taxpayer and restore US jobs and factories.
Mr Trump said the US has been “looted, pillaged, raped, plundered” by other nations.
Image: Pic: AP
His first tariff announcement was a 25% duty on all car imports from midnight – 5am on Thursday, UK time.
Mr Trump confirmed the European Union would face a 20% reciprocal tariff on all other imports. China’s rate was set at 34%.
The UK’s rate of 10% was perhaps a shot across the bows over the country’s 20% VAT rate, though the president’s board suggested a 10% tariff imbalance between the two nations.
It was also confirmed that further US tariffs were planned on some individual sectors including semiconductors, pharmaceuticals and critical mineral imports.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
6:39
Trump’s tariffs explained
The ramping up of duties promises to be painful for the global economy. Tariffs on steel and aluminium are already in effect.
The UK government signalled there would be no immediate retaliation.
Business and Trade Secretary Jonathan Reynolds said: “We will always act in the best interests of UK businesses and consumers. That’s why, throughout the last few weeks, the government has been fully focused on negotiating an economic deal with the United States that strengthens our existing fair and balanced trading relationship.
“The US is our closest ally, so our approach is to remain calm and committed to doing this deal, which we hope will mitigate the impact of what has been announced today.
“We have a range of tools at our disposal and we will not hesitate to act. We will continue to engage with UK businesses including on their assessment of the impact of any further steps we take.
“Nobody wants a trade war and our intention remains to secure a deal. But nothing is off the table and the government will do everything necessary to defend the UK’s national interest.”
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:43
Who showed up for Trump’s tariff address?
The EU has pledged to retaliate, which is a problem for Northern Ireland.
Should that scenario play out, the region faces the prospect of rising prices because all its imports are tied to EU rules under post-Brexit trading arrangements.
It means US goods shipped to Northern Ireland would be subject to the EU’s reprisals.
The impact of a trade war would be expected to be widely negative, with tit-for-tat tariffs risking job losses, a ramping up of prices and cooling of global trade.
Research for the Institute for Public Policy Research has suggested more than 25,000 direct jobs in the UK car manufacturing industry alone could be at risk from the tariffs on car exports to the US.
The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) had said the tariff costs could not be absorbed by manufacturers and may lead to a review of output.
The tariffs now on UK exports pose a big risk to growth and the so-called headroom Chancellor Rachel Reeves was forced to restore to the public finances at the spring statement, risking further spending cuts or tax rises ahead to meet her fiscal rules.
A member of the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), David Miles, told MPs on Tuesday that US tariffs at 20% or 25% maintained on the UK for five years would “knock out all the headroom the government currently has”.
But he added that a “very limited tariff war” that the UK stays out of could be “mildly positive”.
He said: “There’s a bit of trade that will get diverted to the UK, and some of the exports from China, for example, that would have gone to the US, they’ll be looking for a home for them in the rest of the world.
“And stuff would be available in the UK a bit cheaper than otherwise would have been. So there is one, not central scenario at all, which is very, very mildly potentially positive to the UK. All the other ones which involve the UK facing tariffs are negative, and they’re negative to very different extents.”
Israel is beginning a major expansion of its military operation in Gaza and will seize large areas of the territory, the country’s defence minister said.
Israel Katz said in a statement that there would be a large scale evacuation of the Palestinian population from fighting areas.
In a post on X, he wrote: “I call on the residents of Gaza to act now to remove Hamas and return all the hostages. This is the only way to end the war.”
He said the offensive was “expanding to crush and clean the area of terrorists and terrorist infrastructure and capture large areas that will be added to the security zones of the State of Israel”.
The expansion of Israel’s military operation in Gaza deepens its renewed offensive.
The deal had seen the release of dozens of hostages and hundreds of Palestinian prisoners, but collapsed before it could move to phase two, which would have involved the release of all hostages and the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:08
26 March: Anti-Hamas chants heard at protest in Gaza
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) had already issued evacuation warnings to Gazans living around the southern city of Rafah and towards the city of Khan Yunis, telling them to move to the al Mawasi area on the shore, which was previously designated a humanitarian zone.
Israeli forces have already set up a significant buffer zone within Gaza, having expanded an area around the edge of the territory that had existed before the war, as well as a large security area in the so-called Netzarim corridor through the middle of Gaza.
This latest conflict began when Hamas launched an attack on Israel on 7 October 2023, killing around 1,200 people and taking around 250 hostages.
The ensuing Israeli offensive has killed more than 50,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:22
Bodies of aid workers found in Gaza
Aid group Doctors Without Borders warned on Wednesday that Israel’s month-long siege of Gaza means some critical medications are now short in supply and are running out, leaving Palestinians at risk of losing vital healthcare.
“The Israeli authorities’ have condemned the people of Gaza to unbearable suffering with their deadly siege,” said Myriam Laaroussi, the group’s emergency coordinator in Gaza.
“This deliberate infliction of harm on people is like a slow death; it must end immediately.”