Connect with us

Published

on

Authorities have recovered 41 bodies after a plane crash in Washington DC.

Sixty-seven people were killed when an American Airlines jet and a military helicopter collided mid-air on Wednesday night. So far, 28 bodies have been identified.

Both aircraft crashed into the Potomac River after the collision. Some 300 personnel were sent to the scene, but the rescue soon turned into a recovery mission as officials said there were no survivors.

Washington crash: Follow the latest updates

U.S. Coast Guard, along with other search and rescue teams, operate near debris at the crash site in the Potomac River in a location given as Washington, in the aftermath of the collision of American Eagle flight 5342 and a Black Hawk helicopter that crashed into the Potomac River, U.S. January 30, 2025. Taylor Bacon/U.S. Coast Guard/Handout via REUTERS
Image:
Personnel recovering debris from the river. Pic: Reuters

Federal investigators have recovered the black boxes from the passenger jet, while authorities were still searching for similar devices in the helicopter.

Meanwhile, amid questions over how well the airport’s control tower was staffed on the night of the crash, it’s been confirmed that an air traffic control supervisor had let a controller leave their shift early.

The detail, first reported by the New York Times, has been confirmed to Sky News’ US partner NBC News by a source familiar with the investigation.

More on Washington Crash

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Air traffic controller left early

It means a single controller was handling both plane and helicopter traffic in the area when the two aircraft collided.

It is allowable – but not optimal – for one controller to do both jobs, NBC News reported.

The American Airlines jet was carrying 60 passengers and four crew when it crashed with the Black Hawk helicopter, carrying three soldiers, shortly before 9pm local time on Wednesday.

Flight 5342 was preparing to land on runway 33 at the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport when it collided with the helicopter in one of the most tightly controlled airspaces in the world.

‘Emergency vehicles sped past me’

A man whose wife was on the flight has recalled how he saw emergency services “speeding past” as he was waiting at the airport to pick her up.

Hamaad Raza has paid tribute to his wife Asra, who died in the crash 
pic secured by foreign for alongside lines from NBC interview with Hamaad 
Pic: Raza Family
Image:
Hamaad Raza with his wife Asra. Pic: Raza Family

Hamaad Raza told NBC News his wife of two years, Asra, had “texted me [and] said, ‘We’re landing in 20 minutes'”.

“I was waiting and I started seeing a bunch of EMS vehicles speeding past me… way too many, [more] than normal and my texts weren’t going through.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Mr Trump blames plane crash on diversity hiring

Trump makes unproven diversity drive claim

Donald Trump has linked a diversity drive at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) under previous governments to the crash.

It has since been said there is no evidence to support the US president’s claim.

Speaking at the White House on Thursday, Mr Trump suggested the diversity efforts had made air travel less safe.

At a White House press briefing on Friday, press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Mr Trump had signed a memorandum directing an immediate assessment of FAA hiring decisions made during the previous administration.

One of the black boxes being inspected at a lab. Pic: National Transportation Safety Board
Image:
One of the black boxes being inspected at a lab. Pic: National Transportation Safety Board

Emergency personnel at the site of the crash. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Emergency personnel at the site of the crash. Pic: Reuters

While Mr Trump’s claim appears to have been debunked, there are questions over staffing at Reagan Washington National Airport.

NBC News reported staffing in the air traffic control tower was “not normal”, according to an initial FAA report.

The tower normally has a controller who focuses specifically on helicopter traffic – but at the time of the crash, a source said, one controller was overseeing both plane and helicopter activity.

The FAA, which controls air traffic control as well as certification of personnel and aircraft, is without a permanent administrator. Its former boss Michael Whitaker stepped down on 20 January – the day of Mr Trump’s inauguration.

👉 Follow Trump 100 on your podcast app 👈

Mr Trump has appointed an acting administrator, Chris Rocheleau, in the wake of the crash.

Mr Whitaker had clashed with Mr Trump’s confidante Elon Musk over the SpaceX rocket launches during his tenure at the FAA.

Since starting as head of the administration in October 2023, he was also forced to respond to Boeing’s safety and quality problems, and worked to hire more air traffic controllers due to a shortage of staff.

Read more:
Washington DC plane crash: What we know so far
Air traffic control heard diverting planes moments after collision

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

CCTV captures moment of mid-air collision

At his briefing, Mr Trump blamed former president Joe Biden for lowering standards for air traffic controllers.

“We have to have our smartest people,” he said. “They have to be naturally talented geniuses.”

Mr Trump added: “The FAA is actively recruiting workers who suffer severe intellectual disabilities, psychiatric problems, and other mental and physical conditions under a diversity and inclusion hiring initiative spelled out on the agency’s website.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Audio captured moments after the crash

The American Association of People with Disabilities responded to these claims, saying in a statement on X: “FAA employees with disabilities did not cause [the] tragic plane crash.

“The investigation into the crash is still ongoing. It is extremely inappropriate for the president to use this tragedy to push an anti-diversity hiring agenda. Doing so makes all Americans less safe.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘We look at the human, the machine, the environment’

Mr Trump said after being sworn in last week, he signed an executive order which “restored the highest standards of air traffic controllers”.

At a later briefing, he was asked if gender or race played a role. He answered: “It may have, I don’t know. Incompetence may have played a role.”

US transport secretary plans FAA overhaul

Transportation secretary Sean Duffy has said he is working on a plan to reform the FAA .

Alos, Mr Trump’s nominee to lead the US Army, Daniel Driscoll, said at a Senate confirmation hearing that training exercises near an airport like the Washington National Airport may not be appropriate.

Profound sense of loss in Wichita – the ‘air capital of the world’

In two news conferences on Thursday morning, the pain and bewilderment were both palpable.

At the Washington airport where the American Eagle jet was due to land, officials were forced to say what no air crash investigator wants to – that rescue had turned to recovery.

There was a sense of bewilderment over how this could have happened, a pledge to find out what went wrong and most importantly to recover the bodies of all those who died.

Read more here

Wednesday’s crash was the deadliest in the US since November 2001, when an American Airlines flight hit a residential area of Belle Harbor, New York, just after take-off from Kennedy Airport, killing all 260 people aboard.

The Pentagon and US army are investigating Wednesday’s collision, US defence secretary Pete Hegseth said on X.

Continue Reading

World

Indonesia: More than 300 people dead and others missing after floods and landslides

Published

on

By

Indonesia: More than 300 people dead and others missing after floods and landslides

More than 300 people have died and dozens are missing following floods and landslides in Indonesia, which has also been hit by an earthquake.

Monsoon rains over the past week caused rivers to burst their banks in North Sumatra province.

The deluge tore through mountainside villages, swept away people and submerged thousands of houses and buildings, the National Disaster Management Agency said.

As rescue workers continued their efforts on Saturday, the head of the country’s disaster mitigation agency said the number of dead had risen to at least 303 people. Authorities fear the figure will increase.

Flooded buildings in Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara
Image:
Flooded buildings in Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara

Other Southeast Asian countries including Thailand, Malaysia and Sri Lanka have also been affected by torrential rain in the last week, with authorities working to rescue stranded citizens, restore power and communications and coordinate recovery efforts.

On Friday, the Thai government said 145 people had been killed by flooding across eight southern provinces, while two deaths have also been confirmed in Malaysia. Sri Lanka, in South Asia, has also seen 46 deaths following a cyclone, authorities said.

Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara
Image:
Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara

The extreme weather was driven by tropical cyclone Senyar, which formed in the Strait of Malacca, Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency said.

Rescuers in Indonesia have been struggling to reach some areas cut off by damaged roads, and where communications lines have come down.

Relief aircraft have been delivering aid and supplies to the hard-hit district of Central Tapanuli in North Sumatra and other provinces in the region.

Tanah Datar, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Ali Nayaka
Image:
Tanah Datar, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Ali Nayaka

The agency said West Sumatra’s Agam district had also been affected.

Pictures of the rescue efforts show workers trudging through waist-deep mud and areas filled with tree trunks and debris, searching for any victims potentially trapped.

In Aceh province, flooded roads meant authorities struggled to get tractors and other heavy equipment to hilly hamlets which were hit by mud and rocks in the deluge.

Malalak, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Nazar Chaniago
Image:
Malalak, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Nazar Chaniago

Hundreds of police officers, soldiers and residents dug through the debris with their bare hands and spades as heavy rain hindered their efforts.

Meanwhile, a magnitude 6.3 earthquake hit Sumatra island near Aceh province on Thursday, the country’s geophysics agency said.

Torrential rain triggered flash flooding and landslides in Sumatra earlier in the week. Videos posted on social media showed water streaming down from rooftops as panicked residents scrambled to safety.

Heavy seasonal rain from about October to March often causes flooding and landslides in Indonesia – an archipelago of more than 17,000 islands including Sumatra – where millions of people live in mountainous areas or near fertile floodplains.

Last week, almost 1,000 people from three villages on Java were forced to flee to shelters after the eruption of Mount Semeru, the island’s highest volcano.

Continue Reading

World

Pope Leo visits Istanbul’s Blue Mosque during first overseas visit

Published

on

By

Pope Leo visits Istanbul's Blue Mosque during first overseas visit

The Pope has visited Istanbul’s Blue Mosque during a day spent meeting both Muslim and Christian leaders.

Pope Leo joined the imam at the 17th-century Ottoman-era mosque, officially called the Sultan Ahmed Mosque.

The trip marked part of the third day of his first overseas visit as head of the Catholic Church. He will travel to Lebanon on Sunday.

After the mosque visit, Leo held a private meeting with Turkey‘s Christian leaders at the Syriac Orthodox Church of Mor Ephrem.

Pics: AP
Image:
Pics: AP

While the Vatican had said Leo would observe a “brief minute of silent prayer” at the Blue Mosque, the imam said the pope declined.

Speaking to reporters after the visit, Asgin Tunca said he had told the Pope: “It’s not my house, not your house, (it’s the) house of Allah.”

The imam added that he told the Pope: “‘If you want, you can worship here,’ I said. But he said, ‘that’s OK.’

More on Pope Leo

“He wanted to see the mosque, wanted to feel (the) atmosphere of the mosque, I think. And was very pleased.”

Later, Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni said: “The Pope experienced his visit to the mosque in silence, in a spirit of contemplation and listening, with deep respect for the place and the faith of those who gather there in prayer.”

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

File pic: CTK / AP
Image:
File pic: CTK / AP

He is the latest pontiff to visit the holy site, with his recent predecessors Pope Francis and Pope Benedict also making visits in a gesture of respect to Turkey’s Muslim population.

Observing etiquette, Leo removed his shoes and walked through the carpeted mosque in his white socks.

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

However, he did not visit the Hagia Sophia, one of the most important historic cathedrals in Christianity and located just across from the Blue Mosque.

In July 2020, Turkey converted Hagia Sophia from a museum back into a mosque, which was criticised by the Vatican.

Read more from Sky News:
Tourist’s partner ‘tried to fight off shark’ during fatal attack
PM’s rap battle with Sky’s Beth Rigby goes viral
Hospitality pleads for ‘lifeline’ after budget ‘stealth tax’

A woman outside the Syriac Orthodox church of Mor Ephrem during Pope Leo XIV's meeting. Pic: AP
Image:
A woman outside the Syriac Orthodox church of Mor Ephrem during Pope Leo XIV’s meeting. Pic: AP

The Pope is set to end Saturday with a Catholic Mass in Istanbul’s Volkswagen Arena for the country’s Catholic community.

A religious minority, there are around 33,000 Catholics in Turkey, which has a population of more than 85 million people, most of whom are Sunni Muslim.

Continue Reading

World

Software issue hits thousands of Airbus A320 planes – UK passengers warned of potential disruption

Published

on

By

Software issue hits thousands of Airbus A320 planes - UK passengers warned of potential disruption

Passengers have been warned of potential disruption after thousands of Airbus planes were hit by a software issue.

The aircraft affected are from the A320 family – which are used by numerous airlines – and need a systems update before they can fly again.

Airbus issued the alert after analysis of a flight involving an A320 showed “intense solar radiation may corrupt data critical to the functioning of flight controls”.

The Airbus A320 family is the most-delivered jetliner in history.. File pic: iStock
Image:
The Airbus A320 family is the most-delivered jetliner in history.. File pic: iStock

It is understood the incident that triggered the warning involved a JetBlue flight from Cancun, Mexico, to Newark on 30 October.

That flight was diverted to Tampa International Airport after it suffered a flight control issue and experienced a sharp loss of altitude, which injured at least 15 passengers.

An Airbus spokesperson told Sky News the software change would affect up to 6,000 planes.

The fix involves A320 aircraft reverting to an earlier software version and Airbus stressed it would only take two to three hours for most planes.

However, it said some jets would also need new hardware and therefore would be affected for longer. Industry sources estimated about 1,000 aircraft could be in this position.

America’s aviation watchdog has issued an emergency order to immediately replace or modify the software, mirroring one from the European Union Aviation Safety Agency.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Solving Airbus software issue could take ‘several hours per aircraft’

‘Very concerning’

Gatwick said a “small number” of carriers based there were affected, but warned disruption was still possible. It urged passengers to contact their airline.

Heathrow said it wasn’t expecting any disruption.

“The good news is it seems the impact on UK airlines seems limited, with a smaller number of aircraft requiring more complex software and hardware changes,” said Transport Secretary Heidi Alexander.

She said it was “heartening this issue has been identified and will be addressed so swiftly”.

Airbus is understood to have traced the issue to the ELAC (Elevator and Aileron Computer) system, which sends commands to elevators on the plane’s tail. These in turn control the aircraft’s pitch or nose angle.

Travel expert Simon Calder said the situation was “very concerning” but stressed “aviation remains extraordinarily safe”.

He warned customers might not be entitled to compensation if they’re delayed as the issue would be considered out of airlines’ control.

Read more:
Which airlines are affected by Airbus disruption?
Why plane’s altitude drop led to thousands needing updates

What have airlines said?

EasyJet said it had already completed the software update on many aircraft and was working closely with safety authorities.

“We plan to operate our flying programme normally on Saturday and ask that customers travelling continue to monitor their flights on flight tracker,” it added.

The airline said passengers would be informed of any changes by email, SMS, or the flight tracker

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

How the US is affected by Airbus software issue

British Airways said it wasn’t expecting any problems and that only three of its planes were affected.

For American Airlines – the world’s largest operator of the A320 – the issue was more significant, with 209 aircraft needing an update.

It comes on a huge travel weekend stateside as many travel home after Thanksgiving. However, the US carrier said the fix would be completed for the vast majority of its planes on Friday.

Others affected include Japan’s All Nippon Airways, which cancelled 65 domestic flights on Saturday, and Air France – which said it was cancelling 35 flights.

Ireland’s Aer Lingus said a limited number of aircraft were impacted, while Wizz Air has started the software update but said some weekend flights could still be affected.

“Passengers who booked directly with Wizz Air via the website or mobile app will be notified of any schedule changes,” the airline said.

Continue Reading

Trending